IGNORED

Alex Scott

pl00peh91

Could he be the missing piece of the puzzle in attacking midfield this season? He played very well after he came on at half time and will only improve with more experience. I’d be inclined to play him behind Wells in the 4231 formation with Palmer coming on as sub during the second half. It’s an area of the pitch you can afford to take a risk with youth and he adds something to the team we seem to lack these days. Hopefully can be a landmark season for him as he looks like a baller!

Lots and lots to like based on today, skill and football intelligence looked amazing for his age. But also robust, not too ‘try hard’, ie played the simple balls as well (something Palmer can be guilty of not doing) and effort, that 60 yard chase back when they were breaking, to make a key tackle. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not worried about that with him. I get the feeling he's one of those players who knows how good he is.

Exactly and with people like Tinnion at the club who have seen him grow . It’s very rare we get a player like this come through. Enjoy him whilst he’s here I reckon 

First time seeing him play live today. Always the best way to make a judgement on a player.

Very very assured on the ball (apparently the Villa commentars on their stream were raving about him) for only 17 years of age.

Tall, but with a strength to him, and a very good turn on pace. He also always look to go forward, which is impressive.

He wins a large amount of balls in the air, with a leap that reminds me of Joe Bryan.

I would start him over Palmer next week. Although Palmer wasn't too bad today, he tends to slow the attack down; is too ponderous at times; and his pass completion rate can't be more than 70%. 

Scott by way of comparison, is on the front foot, drives the movement forward with speed and ability; and draws opponents towards him, before bringing other players into play.

Very impressed by his 45 mins today. As my eldest son said to me though; Scott has the look of a player that won't be at the club for long. As we're going to get a large bid from a PL club for him soon based on his potential.

Sam Bell on the otherhand, is another one that impressed in his cameo; and is more likely to be with us in the longer term. 

Just need that quick powerful striker up front now, as Wells and Martin are both not the strikers to play in that 4231 formation.

29 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Absolute baller. The fact him & Palmer got a half each suggests Pearson is torn between the 2 on who to start next week. 

Need to be careful with Scott but we have a very special player on our hands. I would prefer him over Palmer personally.

33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Which position did he play in? 

Played in an advanced central midfield role behind the lone striker, as Palmer did first half.

Absolutely outstanding, technically very good, won a few challenges & definitely should have won a penalty.

Thought Palmer did ok first half in truth but Scott is certainly pushing himself up the pecking order.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Played in an advanced central midfield role behind the lone striker, as Palmer did first half.

Absolutely outstanding, technically very good, won a few challenges & definitely should have won a penalty.

Thought Palmer did ok first half in truth but Scott is certainly pushing himself up the pecking order.

You had a couple of muppets in your seat today Graham.?.

Would be a very brave decision for NP to start Scott over Palmer next weekend. But i would go for it.

Against Blackpool we have to take the game to them, start the season positively; and banish the ghosts of last season.

As an aside, how bad was Simpson when he came on? Was a Nicky Hunt type performance. 

8 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

I’m certain Scott will have impressed Dean Smith today. They’ll soon have a few million quid burning a hole in their back pocket too. I hope they don’t put in a cheeky bid for him. Hopefully they’ll have bigger fish to fry!

COYR.

They'd need a ready made replacement for Grealish hence their earlier interest in Smith-Rowe. They'd definitely be after someone with more experience than Scott. 

48 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Absolute baller. The fact him & Palmer got a half each suggests Pearson is torn between the 2 on who to start next week. 

Palmer was good first half let’s not forget.  At least Nige will have decisions to make.  It’s a squad game after all, the team that starts next Saturday will probably have a few changes by the end of the month.

The biggest compliment I can give him, is that like with Conway, Nige will have no hesitation playing Alex Scott if he feels it is right to.  Scott will need someone like Wells to stretch the opposition back line to buy him that bit of space to play.  But his touch is exceptional, can play off either foot.  Will be given his head by Nige, but I’m sure he’ll also get pulled out too.

4 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

I’m certain Scott will have impressed Dean Smith today. They’ll soon have a few million quid burning a hole in their back pocket too. I hope they don’t put in a cheeky bid for him. Hopefully they’ll have bigger fish to fry!

COYR.

Thankfully even though most fans love a "good young one" being developed - I doubt the villa fans would CURRENTLY accept the club selling Grealish for £100M+ and replacing him with Alex Scott.

I do wonder if we will be tested with offers for him in the not too distant future though

Knowing  the way our club operates these days, I would say that everyone should enjoy this kid and his talent as much as possible during the coming season....because It's a racing certainty, that come May 2022 he will be sold to the highest bidder ?   I hope i am wrong, but Reid, Webster and Kelly make me believe it will probably be the case?  

Just now, maxjak said:

Knowing  the way our club operates these days, I would say that everyone should enjoy this kid and his talent as much as possible during the coming season....because It's a racing certainty, that come May 2022 he will be sold to the highest bidder ?   I hope i am wrong, but Reid, Webster and Kelly make me believe it will probably be the case?  

I expect him to receive multiple mentions on the Quest programme when the season starts, which will add to the hype.

Archived