IGNORED

Alex Scott

pl00peh91

47 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Who's to say he could play wide left instead of O'Dowda who flitted in and out as he has done for the past 5 seasons

Because its not his role, look how Towler did overall at LB when asked to do an unfamiliar role at first team level. Keep giving him exposure through the middle, if he has a secondary position its dropping deeper and acting as a playmaker collecting the ball from the defence

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

How long is his contract Dave?

I thought it was only a couple of years?

Quoted I believe as ‘long term’.

I would bet on fours years plus one year option. Very highly rated by the Academy.

Irrelevant really, if Semenyo attracted a 2M bid from Chelsea, what price would you put on Scott now with Prem teams with money to burn? Outstanding debut for England at U17, will be in the U21 squad this season.

Lets start him against Blackpool and enjoy his skills while we can.

He is destined for a great career.

Really hope that if he has a great start to the season there isn’t too much pressure put on him. Saw it with Massengo when he arrived, and Bakinson last season, that promising youngsters were suddenly touted as saviours and future internationals. In reality young players face ups and downs, both of those players have since had their futures questioned by some fans after they’ve struggled. 

Recognise his talent, be excited, but give the guy time to develop and enjoy his football rather than pile on a load of hype and pressure if he breaks his way into the starting XI, it’s best for all parties.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Absolute baller. The fact him & Palmer got a half each suggests Pearson is torn between the 2 on who to start next week. 

@petehinton

How far back do you go?

Gerry Gow? 

His debut was the last game of season 1969-70 and was almost ever present the next season.

He made mistakes but learnt from them. The fans initially were split between Yes and No, if you get my drift. But not for too long.

I strongly suspect that Scott could be similar and once he's in the side, it will be difficult to replace him. For me, he appears to have a more all round game than Palmer so I would if I was NP put him in the side and try to find another spot for KP.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Why play him out of position?

Keep saying round pegs / round holes….then we want to play someone elsewhere.  Nige has said he wants to give his young players the best environment to succeed.  Playing Scott wide left is not doing that.  We’ve seen Janneh and now Bell look promising wide left.  If we don’t play O’Dowda, it should be one of them first.

Who knows Scott may start next week….but it’s not a “must start” for me. He’s probably still building his fitness too, having missed Loughborough.

it will be Scott or Palmer  behind the striker.

My bet will be like today, Palmer starts and Scott comes on if/when needed to replace him.

We have 2 fantastic options in that position (Weimann could play there also).

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Really hope that if he has a great start to the season there isn’t too much pressure put on him. Saw it with Massengo when he arrived, and Bakinson last season, that promising youngsters were suddenly touted as saviours and future internationals.

In the past the club seem to have sign talented players and coached it out of them, teaching them how to pass backwards instead.

I'm hoping things have changed now. ?

15 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

In the past the club seem to have sign talented players and coached it out of them, teaching them how to pass backwards instead.

I'm hoping things have changed now. ?

As am I, still doesn't mean there's any need to put too much of a burden on the guys shoulders, it'll only lead to disappointment and criticism if he ever goes through a rough patch. That's not a criticism of Scott at all, he's very exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the league, I'm just saying he's played a handful of games and he's being labelled as a future international and someone that will go for crazy money. That might end up being the case, but it's way too early to say and I don't see the good it'll do him to have that said at this very early stage of his career.

But again, Massengo and Bakinson simply had difficult patches in their career as every footballer does. Certainly poor coaching played its part, but it was also simply down to the fact that form isn't permanent, and those two both saw their stock plummet amongst the fans which can't have been good for confidence. 

I'd like to see Scott as an impact sub, he's far more explosive than Massengo or Palmer, and lets see how he gets on over the season. Chucking him in at the deep end and pressuring him to succeed might well turn out like Bellingham, it could also go the same way as other young prospects we've had. I'm just saying to manage expectations and let the guy develop before expecting the world.

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

17 is no age and he will need careful management over the next years . But clearly has something . I like that he does not hang onto the ball too long and when he passes it is into space the player can run into rather than needing to control it first . So pace of attack increased . I think NP knows there are some great talents and it will take 3 years to fully understand what we have and develop them. So let’s try to keep those players , won’t be easy , so we will need to be knocking on the door in that time frame . Still , a great testimony to how our academy has improved . 

One thing I noticed about Atkinson is that his passes in-field go slightly in front of the other centre back or right back meaning they are stepping onto the ball moving forward positively. Last season it was so frustrating seeing the pass slightly behind or straight at the player meaning the first touch was always a 'recovery' touch to get the ball into a better position.

He also passed onto Dasilva's left foot meaning he can run forward straight away, whereas last season Baker (until his injury) always passed to his right foot meaning he had to come backwards.

47 minutes ago, grifty said:

One thing I noticed about Atkinson is that his passes in-field go slightly in front of the other centre back or right back meaning they are stepping onto the ball moving forward positively. Last season it was so frustrating seeing the pass slightly behind or straight at the player meaning the first touch was always a 'recovery' touch to get the ball into a better position.

He also passed onto Dasilva's left foot meaning he can run forward straight away, whereas last season Baker (until his injury) always passed to his right foot meaning he had to come backwards.

But coaches will insist that in your own third/half you must pass to feet to ensure retention of the ball. Always annoyed me too. Let them run onto it, providing it's not a risky pass, and get the move going quicker.

6 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

You had a couple of muppets in your seat today Graham.?.

Would be a very brave decision for NP to start Scott over Palmer next weekend. But i would go for it.

Against Blackpool we have to take the game to them, start the season positively; and banish the ghosts of last season.

As an aside, how bad was Simpson when he came on? Was a Nicky Hunt type performance. 

Yes was surprised by Simpson really did not look at all as fit, sharp or up with the game speed of any one else

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I thought O’Dowda did well myself.

Not his biggest fan but did himself no harm today.

Our biggest issue is through the middle, Martin is not suited to the lone striker role & Pearson doesn’t seem to want to try Wells in it.

Me too.  If he played in that vain this season for the majority of games, I’d have no problem.

Someone mentioned set-pieces on another thread.  I thought his corners hit really good areas.  Could’ve been our runners’ timing was out, they were well blocked off etc.  We have to remember the quality we were up against today.  They defended set-pieces very well in fairness to them.

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Quoted I believe as ‘long term’.

I would bet on fours years plus one year option. Very highly rated by the Academy.

Irrelevant really, if Semenyo attracted a 2M bid from Chelsea, what price would you put on Scott now with Prem teams with money to burn? Outstanding debut for England at U17, will be in the U21 squad this season.

Lets start him against Blackpool and enjoy his skills while we can.

He is destined for a great career.

Got to be 4 years plus hasn’t it.  Think 5 plus a 2 year option is the longest you’re allowed to offer an u25. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, KegCity said:

Really hope that if he has a great start to the season there isn’t too much pressure put on him. Saw it with Massengo when he arrived, and Bakinson last season, that promising youngsters were suddenly touted as saviours and future internationals. In reality young players face ups and downs, both of those players have since had their futures questioned by some fans after they’ve struggled. 

Recognise his talent, be excited, but give the guy time to develop and enjoy his football rather than pile on a load of hype and pressure if he breaks his way into the starting XI, it’s best for all parties.

Think we have to be very careful.  Championship opponents will quickly identify if he any weaknesses.  Bakinson  quickly got found out, opponents knew when to pounce as he took a touch to open his body out.  Scott can play off either foot, control off either foot, giving himself the ability to go either way….that will help….but we saw with Brentford, that they will take it in turns to nobble.

We can all agree he’s a huge, huge talent, but let’s see how he is fairing in 6-8 games time….when we’ve seen him up against Morsy or Rhinamoto / Laurent etc.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I don't see that as a problem. His low left footed crosses were good. And being right footed means he can come inside and shoot with his favoured foot.

Agree, not just a standing foot is it?

I watched the game on AVTV and it is true that the commentators highlighted him second half. They said something along the lines of he was a player that as soon as he got on the ball you were excited to see what he did with it. And this was after watching him for the first time for all of 15-20 mins. 

They mentioned him a couple of times and I can't recall them talking about any of our other players, so he clearly made an impression. 

I thought he was excellent and changed the game second half. I'd have no fears about starting him on Saturday. Surprise them, and let him show what he can do. 

10 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

But coaches will insist that in your own third/half you must pass to feet to ensure retention of the ball. Always annoyed me too. Let them run onto it, providing it's not a risky pass, and get the move going quicker.

…. sums English Coaching up that. Safety first, boring and soul destroying. Why I’ve fallen out of love with the game.

Why the likes of Rashford is only half the player he was after a couple of years of ‘top’ coaches being all over him. His natural talent coached out of him.

English coaches would have the ‘ability’ to destroy the likes of Messi if they were given the chance!

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

…. sums English Coaching up that. Safety first, boring and soul destroying. Why I’ve fallen out of love with the game.

Why the likes of Rashford is only half the player he was after a couple of years of ‘top’ coaches being all over him. His natural talent coached out of him.

English coaches would have the ‘ability’ to destroy the likes of Messi if they were given the chance!

I suppose Grealish and Foden fall into that category as well?

Have you ever seen a coaching session at a top club or are you literally making up a statement off the top of your head to suit the fact that you don't like football any more yet still post on the Bristol City Football forum for some odd reason?

If you dislike football these days there are plenty of other things out there that you could follow and would enable you (and those around you) to have a far more positive mindset.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Fogg. what a surprise you make a comment on something i put on here. so predictable. why is it silly when young Alleyne had a bid of 1.5m and he is 15

Well because how are fans meant to put a valuation on it. Alleyne is a different situation because his value is being determined by clubs and coaches that have actually seen him play enough times to know. 

Us as fans can only have seen him a handful of times so it's very difficult to say - especially in the covid market. 

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why play him out of position?

Keep saying round pegs / round holes….then we want to play someone elsewhere.  Nige has said he wants to give his young players the best environment to succeed.  Playing Scott wide left is not doing that.  We’ve seen Janneh and now Bell look promising wide left.  If we don’t play O’Dowda, it should be one of them first.

Who knows Scott may start next week….but it’s not a “must start” for me. He’s probably still building his fitness too, having missed Loughborough.

I’d certainly have Alex Scott as understudy to Kasey Palmer. Ready to come on as Palmer starts to tire, or if he’s having an off day.

To my mind Scott, even at his tender age, has emerged as a player for the first team squad. Fitness permitting, I’d definitely have Scott starting against Forest Green Rovers in the League Cup.

COYR.

15 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

how much would you take for alex.

Bit of an odd thing to ask when he's not played a full debut yet, not even 18 and has just signed a long pro contract.

In answer to the question. I wouldn't take any price right now until he atleast starts to fill his potential with us first.

37 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Bit of an odd thing to ask when he's not played a full debut yet, not even 18 and has just signed a long pro contract.

In answer to the question. I wouldn't take any price right now until he atleast starts to fill his potential with us first.

Started against Brentford, last game of last season, and played the 90.

Archived