IGNORED

Alex Scott

pl00peh91

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Started against Brentford, last game of last season, and played the 90.

Fair point I think I blanked out the end of last season haha. My point still remains the same. Dont think we should talk about selling someone who has played so little with us.

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Fair point I think I blanked out the end of last season haha. My point still remains the same. Dont think we should talk about selling someone who has played so little with us.

Agree.  If City can get their costs under control by utilising the youngsters instead of having to sign squad fillers, then we position ourselves better financially to deal with bids when they come in.  In a utopian scenario, this group grow together, like the Dicks team, and take us up.  That would be perfect.

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It would show a certain lack of ambition, so unless it was genuingly stupid money, we should try to get value ourselves. If we're going to challange for promotion in the next couple of seasons we can't really afford to let appreciating assets go.

13 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes was surprised by Simpson really did not look at all as fit, sharp or up with the game speed of any one else

Fear he's not going to turn out to be a great signing, cover only IMO. He's approaching 34, he's had injuries and he's had a relative lack of gametime in recent years.

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I thought O’Dowda did well myself.

Not his biggest fan but did himself no harm today.

Our biggest issue is through the middle, Martin is not suited to the lone striker role & Pearson doesn’t seem to want to try Wells in it.

Could be wrong but fairly sure he was quite effective at Derby in that very role at times- though would be interested to hear from @AnotherDerbyFan on that one. Not saying he'd be my first choice but the right support up around etc- better than Diedhiou in that role for sure, better touch etc. About what he can create as well.

Had a quick look, Derby not necessarily a two striker team- under Cocu 11 goals and 6 assists in 2019/20 in 25 starts, 10 sub apps. He's had his ups and downs but statistically, when he's been good he's been very good- and as a lone striker quite often.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/23438/History/Chris-Martin

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Simpson will be 35 in January. I did like him end of last season but I also said before we signed him that at some point a players legs go. Hoping that's not the case with him but blimey he really struggled yesterday.

Overestimated then, assumed he was 33 now and going to 34...yeah legs could be on the way out, and in a say deep lying side in central areas maybe it can be covered a bit but fullback is a key position both defensively and offensively and to have a player whose legs are going in that position is a concern...

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Simpson will be 35 in January. I did like him end of last season but I also said before we signed him that at some point a players legs go. Hoping that's not the case with him but blimey he really struggled yesterday.

Agreed. Very poor yesterday. He’s definitely a weakness that other teams will look to exploit. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fear he's not going to turn out to be a great signing, cover only IMO. He's approaching 34, he's had injuries and he's had a relative lack of gametime in recent years.

Along with King not looking "all that"(as best days are gone 'in the extreme sense) I'd ask are some on this forum experiencing first doubts about Nigel himself??

Could it not as possible be a situation of similar scenario for him?

5 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Along with King not looking "all that"(as best days are gone 'in the extreme sense) I'd ask are some on this forum experiencing first doubts about Nigel himself??

I'm not so worried about King as I was for a few reasons- he's a bit younger, we have more options in CM- Williams, James, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo- so he barring an injury crisis doesn't have to be playing week in week out, as a squad player not too concerned. Simpson though...it's Simpson or Vyner, bad luck at CB and it's definitely Simpson at RB as Vyner fills in, injury or suspension to Vyner and it's Simpson...Simpson at RB, the idea hasn't filled me with great confidence since Day 1 tbh.

6 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I would say it depends why they are here and are being asked to do. Dressing room influence and what is required of a top level professional is probably as important as what they do on the pitch.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

He reminds me of Aaron Ramsey when he was that age. Can just tell he's going to be a special player. 

I remember seeing Gerrard in his early appearances for Liverpool. 

I'm not suggesting the Scott will be that good, but what does remind me of SG is that Scott has an immediate presence and he plays with an assurance beyond his years. 

11 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Let's not put to much pressure and expectations on him. Start with Palmer and bring him on as he tires, plenty of games for him to build up his experience and learning. 

Or play the better player from the start

30 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

As a signing, Simpson i'm not over-excited about but King could be an important player/influence this season IMO.

33 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

No. Such is the rebuilding job facing Pearson, so low had standards sunk, that he's had to build a culture from scratch and one of the quick ways to start setting the required standards on a day to day basis is to employ one or two players he trusts implicitly. That's what Simpson and King are here for - sit on the bench, provide cover, but their main role is day to day on the training ground, laying down standards of professionalism, mentoring the youngsters whose job it is to pay attention and soak it all up. James is the only one of our ex Leicester lot who can expect to be a regular starter imo. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not so worried about King as I was for a few reasons- he's a bit younger, we have more options in CM- Williams, James, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo- so he barring an injury crisis doesn't have to be playing week in week out, as a squad player not too concerned. Simpson though...it's Simpson or Vyner, bad luck at CB and it's definitely Simpson at RB as Vyner fills in, injury or suspension to Vyner and it's Simpson...Simpson at RB, the idea hasn't filled me with great confidence since Day 1 tbh.

I can see Sam Pearson at RB/RWB at some point.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I suppose Grealish and Foden fall into that category as well?

Have you ever seen a coaching session at a top club or are you literally making up a statement off the top of your head to suit the fact that you don't like football any more yet still post on the Bristol City Football forum for some odd reason?

If you dislike football these days there are plenty of other things out there that you could follow and would enable you (and those around you) to have a far more positive mindset.

Must admit having followed City around the Country for 55 odd years, that rugby is increasingly becoming a threat to my football allegiance. Fortunate though to have a multiple of interests that provides a very positive outlook of my life, so need to fret.

Didn’t notice Foden and Grealish playing much recently mind, must have blinked. 

Anyhow, high hopes of Nige sorting out the snowflakes in our squad and getting back to more aggressive, positive and expansive performances after the derge served up by LJ. 

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we have a precocious talent on our hands, one that even the Villa fans, on their forum, were talking about.

Time to manage him carefully but we should trust largish Nige to do things properly.

Uncannily similar to Grealish IMHO which has to be good news for us.

How long is his contract out of interest?

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No. Such is the rebuilding job facing Pearson, so low had standards sunk, that he's had to build a culture from scratch and one of the quick ways to start setting the required standards on a day to day basis is to employ one or two players he trusts implicitly. That's what Simpson and King are here for - sit on the bench, provide cover, but their main role is day to day on the training ground, laying down standards of professionalism, mentoring the youngsters whose job it is to pay attention and soak it all up. James is the only one of our ex Leicester lot who can expect to be a regular starter imo. 

It bugs me a bit that we are so keen to define a player pre-season, more so against a team like Villa, who have more quality than we will face week in week out.  I do think all the signings are here to contribute on the pitch, but that isn’t to say they are here to be starters every game…and as you say here to contribute in other ways too.  Impart experience, standards, etc.

We haven’t paid a fee for any of the Leicester crew, so I’m all for watching how they perform on the pitch, what we hear from the staff and players about them off the pitch too.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we have a precocious talent on our hands, one that even the Villa fans, on their forum, were talking about.

Time to manage him carefully but we should trust largish Nige to do things properly.

Uncannily similar to Grealish IMHO which has to be good news for us.

How long is his contract out of interest?

We don’t know, nor would Dave Barton tell me when I asked him.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/pro-deal-for-citys-scott/

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

The issue is that, when MA bolted - I assume his scouting team went with him?

Outside of himself as a manager, NP has a track record of being a great delegator (appointed said individuals also).

The only other roles hes had where he had no say in his coaching staff were Watford and Derby.

The big strength of his time at Leicester was the backroom he helped set up, i.e. Rennie, Walsh, Shakespeare, convincing Stowell to stay on, etc.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

The issue is that, when MA bolted - I assume his scouting team went with him?

Outside of himself as a manager, NP has a track record of being a great delegator (appointed said individuals also).

The only other roles hes had where he had no say in his coaching staff were Watford and Derby.

The big strength of his time at Leicester was the backroom he helped set up, i.e. Rennie, Walsh, Shakespeare, convincing Stowell to stay on, etc.

Ashton had already decimated the human scouting side over a period of time….imho to mean he had less challenge on the players that came through data analytics funnel.  So very little true player watching, just video and data.  The man “heading up” that team (3 others in that team) is Sean Gilhespy, who’s still here.  Gilhespy’s reputation isn’t great, but you’d imagine Nige has more than enough contacts to get an external view of any recruitment targets that Gilhespy might come up with.

Simpson, James and King - all very well known to him = no Gilhespy input required.

Baker and Weimann - already here, worked with Weimann shortly at Derby = no Gilhespy input required

Rob Atkinson - you don’t need data and analytics to work out he was one of the top Lg1 CBs, and if you want someone who can play, he’d be right up there.  Plus Nige just needed a reference from his Oxford CB partner, Elliott Moore, who Pearson knew from Leicester and had at Leuven = no / little Gilhespy input required

Ok, that’s a very biased view, without fact, but OTIB can judge themselves whether they think there’s some truth in it.

Gregor has written a few times that Gilhespy has got on well with Nige….and that might be so.  Then again he’s not gonna say he’s rubbish is he?

Lets see what happens by the end of Aug, and then in January, to see whether the current Analytical Recruitment Team are having much input.  I think at some point beyond this window we will see a change of structure in recruitment.  Not sure that will be a full blown HoR / DoF, but with Walsh’s work done as consultant at Charlotte FC, we might see his name mentioned again.  Timing was not good for this summer.

3 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

As far as I’m concerned, it has to be Palmer to start against Blackpool. With Scott ready to come on off the bench.

COYR.

Yep no rush with scott and he would be a nightmare to defend last 20 min against tired legs. Start him in the cup and use him as an impact sub for now. The season is long and he will get opportunities to start. We don’t have to be ultra cautious but we also do not have to flog him. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Must admit having followed City around the Country for 55 odd years, that rugby is increasingly becoming a threat to my football allegiance. Fortunate though to have a multiple of interests that provides a very positive outlook of my life, so need to fret.

Didn’t notice Foden and Grealish playing much recently mind, must have blinked. 

Anyhow, high hopes of Nige sorting out the snowflakes in our squad and getting back to more aggressive, positive and expansive performances after the derge served up by LJ. 

I think Nige has sorted out the snowflakes, the ones who didn’t fancy playing and/or busting a for for the thousands of pounds per week. He got rid of them. You might say Baker being the exception depending on your opinion.

If you enjoy rugby more now then that’s the way it is. I wouldn’t ever prefer rugby personally although I do understand how the result at all costs counter attacking football of Lee Johnson means that we have lost supporters who will take some persuading to come back (my argument is that if the result is the be all and end all then I’ll buy a Sunday paper rather than shell out for a season ticket).

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think Nige has sorted out the snowflakes, the ones who didn’t fancy playing and/or busting a for for the thousands of pounds per week. He got rid of them. You might say Baker being the exception depending on your opinion.

If you enjoy rugby more now then that’s the way it is. I wouldn’t ever prefer rugby personally although I do understand how the result at all costs counter attacking football of Lee Johnson means that we have lost supporters who will take some persuading to come back (my argument is that if the result is the be all and end all then I’ll buy a Sunday paper rather than shell out for a season ticket).

Allegedly Rennie has got to the bottom of Baker’s injury issues, got his head in the right space too.  I thought he had a decent game yesterday.

Archived