IGNORED

Alex Scott

pl00peh91

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Allegedly Rennie has got to the bottom of Baker’s injury issues, got his head in the right space too.  I thought he had a decent game yesterday.

Agreed.

Be interesting to see what happens with Kalas over the next month.....still think he could be the one we sell in order to fund the striker Nige wants....

5 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agreed.

Be interesting to see what happens with Kalas over the next month.....still think he could be the one we sell in order to fund the striker Nige wants....

FWIW I’m not sure we could sell Kalas and afford a striker who make up for in goals scored what we might lose in  more goals conceded.

I also can’t think of a striker that would come in at a price with enough of a differential to make it worthwhile….considering you’d need to replace Kalas too.

9 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agreed.

I thought it a bit strange that Kalas didn't come off the Bench for a few mins yesterday.

Baker & Atkinson just merely swapped from LCB to RCB repeatedly in the second half.

I think they're the centre back pairing starting against Blackpool next week.

Whether that means Kalas is off is open to interpretation of course. However he has two years left on his contract, amd if we sold him for anything less than £4m; i'm guessing his amortization would make any financial gain negligible.

Have i got that right @Davefevs?

Any sale at this stage, would also leave us a little light at CB. In a difficult transfer market trying to find a replacement after the season has actually started.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ashton had already decimated the human scouting side over a period of time….imho to mean he had less challenge on the players that came through data analytics funnel.  So very little true player watching, just video and data.  The man “heading up” that team (3 others in that team) is Sean Gilhespy, who’s still here.  Gilhespy’s reputation isn’t great, but you’d imagine Nige has more than enough contacts to get an external view of any recruitment targets that Gilhespy might come up with.

Simpson, James and King - all very well known to him = no Gilhespy input required.

Baker and Weimann - already here, worked with Weimann shortly at Derby = no Gilhespy input required

Rob Atkinson - you don’t need data and analytics to work out he was one of the top Lg1 CBs, and if you want someone who can play, he’d be right up there.  Plus Nige just needed a reference from his Oxford CB partner, Elliott Moore, who Pearson knew from Leicester and had at Leuven = no / little Gilhespy input required

Ok, that’s a very biased view, without fact, but OTIB can judge themselves whether they think there’s some truth in it.

Gregor has written a few times that Gilhespy has got on well with Nige….and that might be so.  Then again he’s not gonna say he’s rubbish is he?

Lets see what happens by the end of Aug, and then in January, to see whether the current Analytical Recruitment Team are having much input.  I think at some point beyond this window we will see a change of structure in recruitment.  Not sure that will be a full blown HoR / DoF, but with Walsh’s work done as consultant at Charlotte FC, we might see his name mentioned again.  Timing was not good for this summer.

That is an incredibly biased opinion, almost as though you have a personal dislike/vendetta against the guy!

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree I found it very strange that Kalas was not involved. Baker and Atkinson would be fit for next week if either just got 45, surely.

If Kalas is sold then that is fine, as it means we have money to reinvest. He's at an age where we won't get much more of a fee in the future than what we would now. Plus it would be one of the highest earners leaving, and Nige has said he wants players earning more of a similar wage, i'd say that is probably more like 10-12k a week than 20-25k.

Obviously the question is then who do we replace him with. It would have to be Moore and Cundy for now as back up. Cundy is injured and hopefully returning soon, but not even sure if he's going to still be here himself.

We'd likely have to look to bring in a new CB. I am not sure that will be easy late in the window.

Could it not simply be that we’re managing his pre-season, given his involvement in the Euros??

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree I found it very strange that Kalas was not involved. Baker and Atkinson would be fit for next week if either just got 45, surely.

If Kalas is sold then that is fine, as it means we have money to reinvest. He's at an age where we won't get much more of a fee in the future than what we would now. Plus it would be one of the highest earners leaving, and Nige has said he wants players earning more of a similar wage, i'd say that is probably more like 10-12k a week than 20-25k.

Obviously the question is then who do we replace him with. It would have to be Moore and Cundy for now as back up. Cundy is injured and hopefully returning soon, but not even sure if he's going to still be here himself.

We'd likely have to look to bring in a new CB. I am not sure that will be easy late in the window.

I thought Kalas could have had 45 minutes as well but the Euros may also be taken into account.

But unless he is off somewhere, he'll be starting imo with either Baker or Atkinson dropping to the bench. A behind doors 90 minute training match could be arranged during the week if needed to get some players up to speed including Kalas if necessary. Massengo and Williams could also benefit from that.

But for me, its hopefully a Kalas and Baker pairing.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Brighton are having a look. Whether it materialises into a bid, we shall see. 

What does everyone think Brighton would be willing to pay ? 

just got a good chunk of money for white so surely we could get a good price but if Kalas is determined to leave can’t really stop him

27 minutes ago, frenchred said:

That is an incredibly biased opinion, almost as though you have a personal dislike/vendetta against the guy!

No personal dislike / vendetta, just a strong opinion based on my view of his performance here in 5+ years.  Met him twice, spoke to him once, and the situation probably meant he was the proverbial spare part (insert other word) at a wedding, so it’s not personal.  But recruitment, re-contracting and financial performance particularly were well under par for a man early £500k+ p.a. And leaving the current regime in a poor place.  That’s where my opinion comes from.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tell them we will have Østigård to replace him.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

If he got just 45 or even 30, then yes. But he didnt even come off the bench. I think its very possible clubs may be interested and we are looking to protect him.

I'd definitely have Kalas in the side. But I also think it makes sense to sell if we get a good fee.

Could fund the striker Nigel wants if he thinks Atkinson/Baker would be good enough for the season

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Makes sense as Kalas and Webster certainly formed possibly the best CB partnership i've seen in 40 years at the gate. Their styles really complimented each other.

Could possibly boil down to what our position is over a transfer fee. In the current market, we would need to be sensible if we wanted to move Kalas on.

I know Brighton are flush with the White money, but they will want to not over pay either.

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I thought Kalas could have had 45 minutes as well but the Euros may also be taken into account.

But unless he is off somewhere, he'll be starting imo with either Baker or Atkinson dropping to the bench. A behind doors 90 minute training match could be arranged during the week if needed to get some players up to speed including Kalas if necessary. Massengo and Williams could also benefit from that.

But for me, its hopefully a Kalas and Baker pairing.

The strange thing for me is that if Kalas is going to be a starting CB against Blackpool, then he hasn't started a single game in pre season with either of his potential partners in Atkinson or Baker.

Not ideal  and for me the way NP was swapping Atkinson & Baker second half from right to left, and back again; showed that they are starting together. Otherwise that would have been the time to introduce Kalas.

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not ITK but would not be surprise at all if Kalas is being sold.  Nothing has been said about the Captaincy issue and he didn't play at all yesterday but made to sit on the bench.

He is (apparently) the highest earner at the club, "fell" out with NP at the end of last season and we would get a decent fee (in Covid times) for him.

The obvious way to generate a transfer kitty.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No personal dislike / vendetta, just a strong opinion based on my view of his performance here in 5+ years.  Met him twice, spoke to him once, and the situation probably meant he was the proverbial spare part (insert other word) at a wedding, so it’s not personal.  But recruitment, re-contracting and financial performance particularly were well under par for a man early £500k+ p.a. And leaving the current regime in a poor place.  That’s where my opinion comes from.

Are you talking about Ashton or Gillespie?

I was referring to your points against Gillespie but your £500k+ p.a. threw me

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. Might need a centre back too.

Clarke is on loan at WBA. If Brighton are trying to sign Kalas then maybe Ostigard here on loan? Would save a lot in wages with Kalas gone, would have a transfer fee to reinvest in a striker, and Ostigard looks like a younger version of Kalas. Same height, quick and strong and gets up so well for someone who isn't partculalry tall for a centre back.

I remember Kalas and Webster playing superbly well against Potter's Swansea at the Gate. Maybe Webster and Kalas looking so good together for us is a part of the reason Potter is interested.

We could also look at loaning an RB and striker from PL if we got the right kind of fee for Kalas- I still have my reservations about Simpson as one of the 2 RB options- maybe some kind of RWB option.

Good point though, for a time they were an excellent pairing and Potter will remember that game as you say- brought the best out of each other and I do stand by to an extent my view that Kalas is capable of playing higher than he has with us last season in particular- he's of an age that could push up the pitch at least a bit- would be interesting to see if he was at a higher end Championship club whether he would a) Be as deep or b) Deployed as such.

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. Might need a centre back too.

Clarke is on loan at WBA. If Brighton are trying to sign Kalas then maybe Ostigard here on loan? Would save a lot in wages with Kalas gone, would have a transfer fee to reinvest in a striker, and Ostigard looks like a younger version of Kalas. Same height, quick and strong and gets up so well for someone who isn't partculalry tall for a centre back.

I remember Kalas and Webster playing superbly well against Potter's Swansea at the Gate. Maybe Webster and Kalas looking so good together for us is a part of the reason Potter is interested.

If we were to sell Kalas to Brighton, I wouldn’t loan Østigård, I’d insist on it being a transfer.

10 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Are you talking about Ashton or Gillespie?

I was referring to your points against Gillespie but your £500k+ p.a. threw me

Sorry, I wasn’t sure either, but assumed with you were semi-jokingly referring to my known views on Ashton.  Re Gilhespy, haha, not on £500k….but in all seriousness, the only one he’d have had any technical recruitment (data and video) input on of the 6 signings would’ve been Atkinson.  We will see his input / influence as the window goes on, and into January.  Yeah, never met the guy though, nor his team…nothing against them tbh - would like to hear from him now MA isn’t there, might be an interesting interview.  My criticism is the hole (no scouting set up) that Ashton purposely left between Gilhespy and him….so as to maintain his control.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If we were to sell Kalas to Brighton, I wouldn’t loan Østigård, I’d insist on it being a transfer.

Sorry, I wasn’t sure either, but assumed with you were semi-jokingly referring to my known views on Ashton.  Re Gilhespy, haha, not on £500k….but in all seriousness, the only one he’d have had any technical recruitment (data and video) input on of the 6 signings would’ve been Atkinson.  We will see his input / influence as the window goes on, and into January.  Yeah, never met the guy though, nor his team…nothing against them tbh - would like to hear from him now MA isn’t there, might be an interesting interview.  My criticism is the hole (no scouting set up) that Ashton purposely left between Gilhespy and him….so as to maintain his control

:laugh: fair enough with regards to ashton I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Sean Gillespie I can assure you is the exact polar opposite, a more genuine nicer person you would struggle to meet. I understand that doesn't make him some super scout but feel he will work better with Ashton gone!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, I wasn’t sure either, but assumed with you were semi-jokingly referring to my known views on Ashton.  Re Gilhespy, haha, not on £500k….but in all seriousness, the only one he’d have had any technical recruitment (data and video) input on of the 6 signings would’ve been Atkinson.  We will see his input / influence as the window goes on, and into January.  Yeah, never met the guy though, nor his team…nothing against them tbh - would like to hear from him now MA isn’t there, might be an interesting interview.  My criticism is the hole (no scouting set up) that Ashton purposely left between Gilhespy and him….so as to maintain his control.

To be fair on SG while we’ve signed players known to NP or the club part of SG’s job would have been to scour as suggest alternatives, then up to NP who he wants, if the gaffer wants players he knows not much a head of technical recruitment can do about it 

Just now, frenchred said:

:laugh: fair enough with regards to ashton I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Sean Gillespie I can assure you is the exact polar opposite, a more genuine nicer person you would struggle to meet. I understand that doesn't make him some super scout but feel he will work better with Ashton gone!

Sounds like you know more about him than I do….and I hope working closer with Nige than working for Ashton is better for our overall recruitment set-up and process. Ta.

Just now, Lrrr said:

To be fair on SG while we’ve signed players known to NP or the club part of SG’s job would have been to scour as suggest alternatives, then up to NP who he wants, if the gaffer wants players he knows not much a head of technical recruitment can do about it 

Yep, no argument there.

Going back to the Alex Scott discussion, hopefully he and the rest of our promising youth will benefit from the current situation surrounding football. As with pretty much every team, squad sizes and wage bills will have to be trimmed which means a lot of teams will have to give a lot more game time to those promising youngsters who may have otherwise gone out on loan for a year or two first.

The youngsters got a good bit of game time  meaning that they shouldn’t be daunted going into this season and with the good mix of experienced pros brought in hopefully we will see an improvement this year with more to come for the future.

19 minutes ago, Scare_Man said:

Going back to the Alex Scott discussion, hopefully he and the rest of our promising youth will benefit from the current situation surrounding football. As with pretty much every team, squad sizes and wage bills will have to be trimmed which means a lot of teams will have to give a lot more game time to those promising youngsters who may have otherwise gone out on loan for a year or two first.

The youngsters got a good bit of game time  meaning that they shouldn’t be daunted going into this season and with the good mix of experienced pros brought in hopefully we will see an improvement this year with more to come for the future.

I hope so mate, I think the high performance centre was put in place to make the U23's and the first team more  interchangable in as much as is beneficial to the first team...

Surprised with the casual way people are happy to sell Kalas. 

If he gets the chance to play in the prem or we get an offer we can’t refuse I’d understand that of course, but…

Selling him in some sort of deal to get funds for a forward, I don’t like personally.

We’ll see though - I know the worry for some is we don’t have enough goals this season, but I’d personally be more worried about losing Kalas from our defence. 

19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Surprised with the casual way people are happy to sell Kalas. 

If he gets the chance to play in the prem or we get an offer we can’t refuse I’d understand that of course, but…

Selling him in some sort of deal to get funds for a forward, I don’t like personally.

Yes and I think Nige has said previously that he was going to build the team from the back, getting us more solid first. I don't think we can afford to lose Kalas unless we get a really good replacement. Otherwise we have Moore and Cundy as cover and that feels a bit fragile to me. 

While I would love to see a new striker come in I wouldn't have Kalas as my choice to raise funds, just because of the squad depth at CB. 

Archived