Jump to content
IGNORED

Alex Scott


pl00peh91
 Share

Recommended Posts

Knowing  the way our club operates these days, I would say that everyone should enjoy this kid and his talent as much as possible during the coming season....because It's a racing certainty, that come May 2022 he will be sold to the highest bidder ?   I hope i am wrong, but Reid, Webster and Kelly make me believe it will probably be the case?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, maxjak said:

Knowing  the way our club operates these days, I would say that everyone should enjoy this kid and his talent as much as possible during the coming season....because It's a racing certainty, that come May 2022 he will be sold to the highest bidder ?   I hope i am wrong, but Reid, Webster and Kelly make me believe it will probably be the case?  

I expect him to receive multiple mentions on the Quest programme when the season starts, which will add to the hype.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

I’m certain Scott will have impressed Dean Smith today. They’ll soon have a few million quid burning a hole in their back pocket too. I hope they don’t put in a cheeky bid for him. Hopefully they’ll have bigger fish to fry!

COYR.

 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They'd need a ready made replacement for Grealish hence their earlier interest in Smith-Rowe. They'd definitely be after someone with more experience than Scott. 

They have reached an agreement for Leon Bailey at Leverkusen. Another wide player to go along with El Ghazi Buendia and Traore. Seems the Grealish thing is going to happen and they have sorted themselves out already. Though I will say not convinced with Bailey. Might be their first bit of business I didn’t like in awhile

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They'd need a ready made replacement for Grealish hence their earlier interest in Smith-Rowe. They'd definitely be after someone with more experience than Scott. 

Of course you're right. But like Kelly, bigger clubs would probably be aware of Scott's potential before he even made his first team debut.

It would be interesting to see our response if we had an acceptable bid for him now. Thought I hope it doesn't happen!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Palmer was good first half let’s not forget.  At least Nige will have decisions to make.  It’s a squad game after all, the team that starts next Saturday will probably have a few changes by the end of the month.

The biggest compliment I can give him, is that like with Conway, Nige will have no hesitation playing Alex Scott if he feels it is right to.  Scott will need someone like Wells to stretch the opposition back line to buy him that bit of space to play.  But his touch is exceptional, can play off either foot.  Will be given his head by Nige, but I’m sure he’ll also get pulled out too.

Personally I thought we looked far better with Scott second half though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

As an aside, how bad was Simpson when he came on? Was a Nicky Hunt type performance. 

Terrible.

Thought Vyner was ok first half defensively but when compared to Simpson he put in a Bradley Orr standard performance..

Bet Jack Hunt would be laughing to himself if he read this..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Of course you're right. But like Kelly, bigger clubs would probably be aware of Scott's potential before he even made his first team debut.

It would be interesting to see our response if we had an acceptable bid for him now. Thought I hope it doesn't happen!

But that's the highest standard he has played against so, even though it was a friendly, it would have been more impressive you would think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

But that's the highest standard he has played against so, even though it was a friendly, it would have been more impressive you would think.

Sure but my point was that bigger clubs would not just notice his potential today, they would likely have already been aware of him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Knowing  the way our club operates these days, I would say that everyone should enjoy this kid and his talent as much as possible during the coming season....because It's a racing certainty, that come May 2022 he will be sold to the highest bidder ?   I hope i am wrong, but Reid, Webster and Kelly make me believe it will probably be the case?  

It's how all clubs operate. We're not unique. Norwich got promoted but still lost Buendia to Villa for £35 million. Brentford got promoted despite selling Watkins at the start of last season. I'd love us to keep our best players but we're always going to vulnerable to bids from bigger clubs. For me, it's not about whether we lose players but whether we use the resources to replace them and continue to strengthen. That's where it went wrong with Webster and Kelly. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Of course you're right. But like Kelly, bigger clubs would probably be aware of Scott's potential before he even made his first team debut.

It would be interesting to see our response if we had an acceptable bid for him now. Thought I hope it doesn't happen!

There were PL clubs waiting to pounce had he not signed a pro contract with us.  We’ve now tied him down long term.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Palmer was good first half let’s not forget.  At least Nige will have decisions to make.  It’s a squad game after all, the team that starts next Saturday will probably have a few changes by the end of the month.

The biggest compliment I can give him, is that like with Conway, Nige will have no hesitation playing Alex Scott if he feels it is right to.  Scott will need someone like Wells to stretch the opposition back line to buy him that bit of space to play.  But his touch is exceptional, can play off either foot.  Will be given his head by Nige, but I’m sure he’ll also get pulled out too.

Agreed. I thought Palmer was great first half. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

There were PL clubs waiting to pounce had he not signed a pro contract with us.  We’ve now tied him down long term.

Interesting, thanks. That at least means we are in a stronger position if any bids come in.

I'd hate him to go to a Prem club then disappear for years. He needs to be playing reasonably regularly to develop his game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Interesting, thanks. That at least means we are in a stronger position if any bids come in.

I'd hate him to go to a Prem club then disappear for years. He needs to be playing reasonably regularly to develop his game.

Dave Barton wouldn’t tell me how long his contract is….just “long term” on OS…..sensitive info according to Dave.  Everyone else has a year associated, Scott doesn’t.  I had to ask nicely for his date of birth too….or it would bugger up my spreadsheets. 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's how all clubs operate. We're not unique. Norwich got promoted but still lost Buendia to Villa for £35 million. Brentford got promoted despite selling Watkins at the start of last season. I'd love us to keep our best players but we're always going to vulnerable to bids from bigger clubs. For me, it's not about whether we lose players but whether we use the resources to replace them and continue to strengthen. That's where it went wrong with Webster and Kelly. 

You have a valid point, though I would observe that despite Norwich and Brentford selling respectively   two outstanding talents, after the transfer''s they still retained within their squads a number of quality individuals?   So by selling one player, they were then able to retain a strong viable squad.   With City, as soon as anyone emerges as a quality player, that individual is often not around long enough to complete a decent amount of appearances?   And then, as you quite rightly point out, we tend to squander our nest egg on average replacements.

The difference between ourselves and Brentford/Norwich, is that they have the strength in depth to withstand the loss of a star man............we don't.

Edited by maxjak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There were PL clubs waiting to pounce had he not signed a pro contract with us.  We’ve now tied him down long term.

How long is his contract Dave?

I thought it was only a couple of years?

Edited by NcnsBcfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You have a valid point, though I would observe that despite Norwich and Brentford selling respectively   two outstanding talents, after the transfer''s they still retained within their squads a number of quality individuals?   So by selling one player, they were then able to retain a strong viable squad.   With City, as soon as anyone emerges as a quality player, that individual is often not around long enough to complete a decent amount of appearances?   And then, as you quite rightly point out, we tend to squander our nest egg on average replacements.

The difference between ourselves and Brentford/Norwich, is that they have the strength in depth to withstand the loss of a star man............we don't.

They already have the replacement at the club….we rarely do….have to buy-in, and other clubs know we have funds!  Vibe, Maupay, Watkins, Toney (they wanted him the winter before but couldn’t get Peterborough to budge)….but you see the succession planning.

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

How long is his contract Dave?

I thought it was only a couple of years?

As above, club won’t tell me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, cityal said:

Thankfully even though most fans love a "good young one" being developed - I doubt the villa fans would CURRENTLY accept the club selling Grealish for £100M+ and replacing him with Alex Scott.
 

I do wonder if we will be tested with offers for him in the not too distant future though

He’s got to do it in the league consistently and if he does then there will be a clamour for him. I just hope we have him tied up on a contract for a few years but he reminds me of Grealish at the same age without all the diving - something he would need to learn if he went to Villa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sam Bell probably deserves his own thread too, but can't be bothered to do one 😂

I really liked his movement from that left inside channel. Scott playing quite close to him on the left in that same area of the pitch. Bell made some great runs off the ball and had the ball in some really dangerous positions, getting a few shots at goal and getting to the byeline and crossing. Pretty unlucky with his end product rather than him making any wrong decisions.

Very encouraging from both of them that second half.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, headhunter said:

We will be saying Scott must start in the Forever Bristol City Live Podcast @ 6.00 PM. Listen in: https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=9E6axH07ul1 

Early days but the youngster has a touch of the Jack Grealish about him!!!

Why?

Palmer did absolutely nothing wrong first half.

Certainly a sub option already but don’t think he deserves to start over Palmer.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

 

Certainly a sub option already but don’t think he deserves to start over Palmer.

You might be in a minority with that view. 

Who's to say he could play wide left instead of O'Dowda who flitted in and out as he has done for the past 5 seasons

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, headhunter said:

You might be in a minority with that view. 

Who's to say he could play wide left instead of O'Dowda who flitted in and out as he has done for the past 5 seasons

Why play him out of position?

Keep saying round pegs / round holes….then we want to play someone elsewhere.  Nige has said he wants to give his young players the best environment to succeed.  Playing Scott wide left is not doing that.  We’ve seen Janneh and now Bell look promising wide left.  If we don’t play O’Dowda, it should be one of them first.

Who knows Scott may start next week….but it’s not a “must start” for me. He’s probably still building his fitness too, having missed Loughborough.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They already have the replacement at the club….we rarely do….have to buy-in, and other clubs know we have funds!  Vibe, Maupay, Watkins, Toney (they wanted him the winter before but couldn’t get Peterborough to budge)….but you see the succession planning.

As above, club won’t tell me.

Exactly.........just as Villa are doing at present?   They know Grealish is going, so rather than be held over a barrel, with clubs quoting them crazy prices, they plan ahead, and recruit in advance.   Ashton and Johnson never seemed to plan ahead, it was always a last minute panic buy, as if it never occurred to them that they would need a replacement?  Planning ahead tends to save you money and mistakes IMHO.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, headhunter said:

You might be in a minority with that view. 

Who's to say he could play wide left instead of O'Dowda who flitted in and out as he has done for the past 5 seasons

I thought O’Dowda did well myself.

Not his biggest fan but did himself no harm today.

Our biggest issue is through the middle, Martin is not suited to the lone striker role & Pearson doesn’t seem to want to try Wells in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sam Bell probably deserves his own thread too, but can't be bothered to do one 😂

I really liked his movement from that left inside channel. Scott playing quite close to him on the left in that same area of the pitch. Bell made some great runs off the ball and had the ball in some really dangerous positions, getting a few shots at goal and getting to the byeline and crossing. Pretty unlucky with his end product rather than him making any wrong decisions.

Very encouraging from both of them that second half.

Completely agree Jon.

I think i mentioned Bell in my first post on this topic.

For me on the left, he drove forward,got crosses in; and had a shot and header in target. 

In his 30 mins approx on the pitch, like Scott he bought a  new dynamic into the pitch going forward.

Both of them appeared fearless, whilst a number of the more experienced players in the first half were tentative again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...