IGNORED

Corners

BLRed

Anyone have any idea what our aim is at corners? There never seems to be a plan or any thoughtful/Planned movement nor does the corner taken ever seem to be aimed for anyone specifically.

I feel there are so many opportunities wasted at set pieces that are just taken aimlessly in the hope something happens. Missing a trick here with tall players like atkinson and baker in the team. Also wonder why o’dowda takes corners when James is by far the better set piece taker?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Joe Williams will probably take a lot of corners when he’s back in the team.

Hope so, as O'Dowda is terrible, just lump it in the box and hope for the best - if it gets past the first man of course. 

I agree with @BOSRed, there doesn't appear to be any plan when taking corners, just hit and hope.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why play him out of position?

Keep saying round pegs / round holes….then we want to play someone elsewhere.  Nige has said he wants to give his young players the best environment to succeed.  Playing Scott wide left is not doing that.  We’ve seen Janneh and now Bell look promising wide left.  If we don’t play O’Dowda, it should be one of them first.

Who knows Scott may start next week….but it’s not a “must start” for me. He’s probably still building his fitness too, having missed Loughborough.

Think he actually enjoys playing off the left. Spent a wedge of time where his starting position was out left against Exeter. Anyhow, the ‘Number 10’ role is dying, and most of that sort are being pushed wide, or a bit deeper. 

1 hour ago, James54De said:

Think he actually enjoys playing off the left. Spent a wedge of time where his starting position was out left against Exeter. Anyhow, the ‘Number 10’ role is dying, and most of that sort are being pushed wide, or a bit deeper. 

Naturally drifts left….but Headhunter was suggesting playing him left wing.  He drifts to find space….he’s very intelligent in that respect.

Maybe we were trying different things as it was a friendly but surprised not to see James taking a few seeing as he had been on set piece duty in previous games & isn’t a likely scorer or player you would have assigned to block an opponent off at them.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe we were trying different things as it was a friendly but surprised not to see James taking a few seeing as he had been on set piece duty in previous games & isn’t a likely scorer or player you would have assigned to block an opponent off at them.

I would expect that Blackpool would have had somebody there watching yesterday. I would be surprised if we brought out any of our set piece work yesterday. I would imagine Nige is too long in the tooth to do that........

It's a good question because we won a fair few corners yesterday and delivery was decent most of the time but I don't recall us properly connecting with any of them.

Free kick and corner routines are really important, especially in home games when you tend to have to break down a resilient defence.

That Cotts team were dangerous at set pieces and I'm sure we're working on it currently.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's a good question because we won a fair few corners yesterday and delivery was decent most of the time but I don't recall us properly connecting with any of them.

Free kick and corner routines are really important, especially in home games when you tend to have to break down a resilient defence.

That Cotts team were dangerous at set pieces and I'm sure we're working on it currently.

There was one that Atkinson could have done better with his header but certainly Konsa & Hause won the vast majority of the balls in the air.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

James took from the right o Dowda from the left. Inswingers. 

16 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Not had anyone able to deliver a decent corner since Alan Walsh, and as for throw-ins, I reckon we lost about an hour of football last year waiting for Jack Hunt to throw the ball in.

Still, shouldn’t grumble too much, it may have saved us from relegation!

Freeman took a decent corner to be fair. 

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that statistically the chances of scoring from a corner are so low that its better to play it short. 

I imagine the chance deteriorates even further when low quality players (yes you O'Dowda) are given the responsibility. 

Per one hunded corners around 3% of goals are scored from corners. From first ball - cross header its below 2%. Delivery is not as important as having players capable of scoring from headers. Bristol City with Aden Flint in the team completely outperformed norms.

In swinging corners are more effective than outswingers. Outswingers result in more shots but more are saved and blocked.  

The percentage of goals scored by going short is double the above 3% . And going short results in a significantly higher (approx 10% higher) number of shots.

Chuck state at it all we like, the simple fact in my eyes is we don’t make the most of set plays like corners enough. I never see any intelligence go into them to at least try and score. Just hit and hope for what is essentially a free ‘box entry’ (sorry for that phrase) and I just wish we would make more use of them considering we don’t create an awful lot in open play

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

Chuck state at it all we like, the simple fact in my eyes is we don’t make the most of set plays like corners enough. I never see any intelligence go into them to at least try and score. Just hit and hope for what is essentially a free ‘box entry’ (sorry for that phrase) and I just wish we would make more use of them considering we don’t create an awful lot in open play

One might argue that a PL defence is very adept at defending set pieces, at blocking runs, etc.

In other pre-season friendlies we’ve looked more threatening (James has been taking most), found our men at them, without scoring (a few over the bar, to keeper, etc).

In fact, we scored at Exeter, Williams - Kalas - Wells

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One might argue that a PL defence is very adept at defending set pieces, at blocking runs, etc.

In other pre-season friendlies we’ve looked more threatening (James has been taking most), found our men at them, without scoring (a few over the bar, to keeper, etc).

In fact, we scored at Exeter, Williams - Kalas - Wells

Maybe signs there of improvement with a decent set piece taker but in the main, we have been extremely wasteful and I hope to god this improves this coming season as it may well make a difference between a win or a draw in a few games.

i expect this season will be about defensive solidity and trying to steal 1-0 wins here and there, then we build on it going into the following season with more improved transfers. I’m not expecting any fancy played, high scoring games from us this year so set pieces will be crucial

On 02/08/2021 at 00:48, Cowshed said:

Per one hunded corners around 3% of goals are scored from corners. From first ball - cross header its below 2%. Delivery is not as important as having players capable of scoring from headers. Bristol City with Aden Flint in the team completely outperformed norms.

In swinging corners are more effective than outswingers. Outswingers result in more shots but more are saved and blocked.  

The percentage of goals scored by going short is double the above 3% . And going short results in a significantly higher (approx 10% higher) number of shots.

Flint was almost unmarkable at corners for us. He was so aggressive and physical, defenders just couldn't deal with him. It actually came to a point we were more likely to score from a corner than anything else just because of how dominant he was. It was a joy to watch.

It's always amazed me how often professional footballers fail to even clear the first man at corners.  It's not just City, it was just as evident at the Euros and all football in general.  You have the opportunity to place the ball to your liking and cross the ball under absolutely no pressure!  It makes absolutely zero sense that throughout the game, delivery at corners is so poor.  Yes, there's sometimes an element of good defending, but more often than not it's just poorly struck.

22 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

It's always amazed me how often professional footballers fail to even clear the first man at corners.  It's not just City, it was just as evident at the Euros and all football in general.  You have the opportunity to place the ball to your liking and cross the ball under absolutely no pressure!  It makes absolutely zero sense that throughout the game, delivery at corners is so poor.  Yes, there's sometimes an element of good defending, but more often than not it's just poorly struck.

Do you ever try to take corners? That isn't an attempt at being condescending.

Taking corners is a skill. Its a skill many players are not particularly good at. The reason players hit the front man repeatedly is because of what they are trying to do - Hit flat crosses and zones. There are themes. The easiest ball to defend is dropping it in to the box. The hardest to defend is driven and flat taking rotation off the ball but its also the easiest to get wrong. Attempt to flatten the cross and its a couple of % either way of hitting the first defender or putting it out the back. Teams invariably mark first ball winners and put blockers in zones. Try to hit zones? Invaribly a perfect ball is defended as statistically it has to be. The defending team has to be favourite. Teams attempt to beat the odds by attempting the complex leading to logical failures v zero sense. 

Archived