IGNORED

I knew we had a prem ref against Villa

He was embarrassing.

I know it’s a friendly but that playing up to the away fans stuff (showing them a yellow card, waiving back on request) was completely shown up.

Certainly should have given us 2 penalties as well, first thing Scott did saw him brought down & the defender clearly ran across Martin and fouled him.

He is supposed to be a City fan, he appeared to be trying too hard not to favour us.

Just now, GrahamC said:

He was embarrassing.

I know it’s a friendly but that playing up to the away fans stuff (showing them a yellow card, waiving back on request) was completely shown up.

Certainly should have given us 2 penalties as well, first thing Scott did saw him brought down & the defender clearly ran across Martin and fouled him.

He is supposed to be a City fan, he appeared to be trying too hard not to favour us.

Just seen this on twitter. Guy should be banned. Imagine acting like that in a professional role.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

2 clear pens. I just can't see how Cash's rugby tackle was him legally using his body to protect the ball!

Actually if VAR had been involved I reckon we would have had 3 pens as there was a handball, though to be fair I thought it would have been a harsh pen to give.

Other than that he generally let the game flow quite well. Some of our players went in hard on occasions and he didnt give a free kick.

From the telly it looked like he gave them so many soft free-kicks.  You could tell by some player reactions that Villa were just falling over.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From the telly it looked like he gave them so many soft free-kicks.  You could tell by some player reactions that Villa were just falling over.

I watched on the live stream and couldn’t believe how the Villa players were, as you say, just falling over - and winning free kicks.

Yet, when City had, in my possibly biased opinion, two, even three, viable penalty shouts, they were simply waved away.

OK, it was ‘only’ a friendly, but a 2-2 draw - surely Villa’s third goal was over the line before it was crossed - may have instilled a lot of confidence in the team.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I watched on the live stream and couldn’t believe how the Villa players were, as you say, just falling over - and winning free kicks.

Yet, when City had, in my possibly biased opinion, two, even three, viable penalty shouts, they were simply waved away.

OK, it was ‘only’ a friendly, but a 2-2 draw - surely Villa’s third goal was over the line before it was crossed - may have instilled a lot of confidence in the team.

Looked that way to me, Lino was no where near though.

1792542958_Screenshot2021-07-31at20_14_49.png.37ee16ff35009ecd9fd63be3bb9e3637.png

I love the passion! But is it just me? It was a friendly game, a chance to stretch the legs and up the fitness levels - the result doesn’t matter to me - but it obviously does to some. As I said, brill passion but a tad misplaced maybe? Nothing matters about today’s match - nothing ... especially the ref’s performance ... in the past we’ve had a pre-season where we have lost every game but then had a brill ‘proper’ season - the results of friendlies don’t matter ... getting through them unscathed does ...

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I love the passion! But is it just me? It was a friendly game, a chance to stretch the legs and up the fitness levels - the result doesn’t matter to me - but it obviously does to some. As I said, brill passion but a tad misplaced maybe? Nothing matters about today’s match - nothing ... especially the ref’s performance ... in the past we’ve had a pre-season where we have lost every game but then had a brill ‘proper’ season - the results of friendlies don’t matter ... getting through them unscathed does ...

I disagree to an extent. While the results don't give you points for the season, winning always gives you confidence whether its a training match, friendly, league match, etc.

I don't expect refs to be booking people as per a normal match, but I do expect him to ref it fairly and not be playing up to the Villa fans. After all, this is the refs practice match to get ready for the season as well. Almost anytime a Villa player was touched he would go to blow his whistle. He played advantage a lot, otherwise it would have been a very stop start game.

Friendly matches are also a way for players to build up understanding of each other such as Palmer and Martin to get used to each others movement. Atkinson and Baker to build up an understanding. It's much more than just a jog around to keep your fitness levels up. There is a reason why our level of opponent has increased ending up in the premier league team. NP says he doesn't like pre-season friendlies, but if that was the case, we'd just play 4 local non-league clubs. He's said all that so fans don't get caught up on the results and deflected importance away from them.

After some of the awful play last season, many fans are looking to see some semblance that this season we're going to be able to string more than 3 passes together and get more than 1 shot on target a match. Based off yesterday, second half in particular, it looks a lot more positive. That in turn will get a few more 50/50 attendance fans interested and may tempt them to go to the match v Blackpool.

14 minutes ago, grifty said:

I disagree to an extent. While the results don't give you points for the season, winning always gives you confidence whether its a training match, friendly, league match, etc.

I don't expect refs to be booking people as per a normal match, but I do expect him to ref it fairly and not be playing up to the Villa fans. After all, this is the refs practice match to get ready for the season as well. Almost anytime a Villa player was touched he would go to blow his whistle. He played advantage a lot, otherwise it would have been a very stop start game.

Good points.

You completely forget until you watch it live what Premiership teams are like.

Falling to the floor theatrically at the slightest contact, standing in the way of every free kick & moaning to the ref incessantly.

Kevin Friend is in their little club, which is why he was so keen to look on every decision favourably to them, it was truly embarrassing.

This was only a friendly, if you get a Prem ref in a competitive game it is ten times worse.

He is, I believe, registered with Refs Asscociation as a Bristol City supporter. Thus he can only ref us in a friendly match.

From what I have seen of him on MOD, he appears to be a decent Prem ref who also likes a bit of rapport with the players.

Did not watch the game yesterday so unable to comment on his performance.

14 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve just read this piece about him supporting us, how he was at the Man Utd game and how he’d only ref us if it was a pre season friendly behind closed doors. Ummm!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-referee-kevin-friend-4088011

Bit of a weird thing for him to say - he also refereed our game against Crystal Palace in preseason 2019. He also seemed to be trying too hard to be impartial on that occasion too. 

11 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

1792542958_Screenshot2021-07-31at20_14_49.png.37ee16ff35009ecd9fd63be3bb9e3637.png

Simpson’s part in the goal was truly awful but sat in a very different seat from my usual one in the Dolman, (I was pretty much behind the dugouts) I thought that the crosser of the ball was not only initially offside, but then crossed it when it had clearly gone out of play.

The linesman was on the other side to be fair but as this shows, was not up with play at all.

Rather like the terrible decisions over 2 clear penalties far better to suffer them now than in a league game though.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Good points.

You completely forget until you watch it live what Premiership teams are like.

Falling to the floor theatrically at the slightest contact, standing in the way of every free kick & moaning to the ref incessantly.

Kevin Friend is in their little club, which is why he was so keen to look on every decision favourably to them, it was truly embarrassing.

This was only a friendly, if you get a Prem ref in a competitive game it is ten times worse.

Strange thing is, if you look at Twitter Aston Villa fans in general have a strong dislike towards Kevin Friend- ie prior to Saturday, blame him for nearly sparking issues 2 years ago with a disallowed goal at Palace.

Ball was definitely out of play however and we were certainly denied at least one penalty- surprised we didn't get at least one tbh.

57 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Oh dear, imagine acting like this! It's a pre season friendly ffs!

I know, the way Friend acted was disgraceful. In a professional role which comes under constant scrutiny from fans as it is, to not referee a game (whether its Sunday league, pre-season friendly or Champions League Final) in a proper way is crazy. Glad you agree with me.

25 minutes ago, grifty said:

I know, the way Friend acted was disgraceful. In a professional role which comes under constant scrutiny from fans as it is, to not referee a game (whether its Sunday league, pre-season friendly or Champions League Final) in a proper way is crazy. Glad you agree with me.

Don't take this the wrong way I was 100% disagreeing with you! Bloody hell if they can't act human in a pre season friendly when can they!

Just now, frenchred said:

Don't take this the wrong way I was 100% disagreeing with you! Bloody hell if they can't act human in a pre season friendly when can they!

When they are not refereeing or in a charity match. Unless acting human now means doing your job entirely incorrectly.

I can allow leeway for a referee making a mistake because they are 'human', such as the third goal which was off-side (apparently) and out of play when crossed. Fine, ref can't see, linesman had his eyes closed. 

It's all about opinions. In my opinion, referees should be professional, unbiased and honest regardless if it's a pre-season game or not. They would get so much more respect. but this referee was just playing up to his premiership mates no doubt to earn some brownie points when he goes to Villa Park at some point this season.

Actually, why didn't our players play in skins? Or only try to score back-heeled goals? Or even bother trying? It's only a pre-season game, it obviously doesn't matter how people act!

10 minutes ago, grifty said:

When they are not refereeing or in a charity match. Unless acting human now means doing your job entirely incorrectly.

I can allow leeway for a referee making a mistake because they are 'human', such as the third goal which was off-side (apparently) and out of play when crossed. Fine, ref can't see, linesman had his eyes closed. 

It's all about opinions. In my opinion, referees should be professional, unbiased and honest regardless if it's a pre-season game or not. They would get so much more respect. but this referee was just playing up to his premiership mates no doubt to earn some brownie points when he goes to Villa Park at some point this season.

Actually, why didn't our players play in skins? Or only try to score back-heeled goals? Or even bother trying? It's only a pre-season game, it obviously doesn't matter how people act!

You say this, but Aston Villa fans don't much care for him or at least didn't if you read a) Social media or b) Fans views online.

https://underagaslitlamp.com/2020/08/31/the-great-kevin-friend-robbery-a-year-on/

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-dive-jack-grealish-16849916

https://claretvillans.com/2019/08/31/kevin-friends-terrible-no-good-refereeing-costs-aston-villa-point/

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

They will never ever win in some people's eyes.

They provide a very easy excuse for "mainly fans" to make excuses for their own teams failings.

What he did was no worse than players faking injuries (and our players do this as well)

Terrible decisions tbh. Get the general point you're making but a likely pen turned down and their 3rd goal, the ball was out. It was out yet missed and they scored.

I think many of you are being a bit salty for a friendly. as for the talking points - friend - *meh*. His card at the Villa fans was tongue in cheek and should be treated as such. it hurt no-one and was actually a comedic touch you don't see from many officials. There is a lot of anger towards him for the crystal palace thing and in an league/cup game I doubt we'll have forgotten that because he had a laugh in a friendly.

Ball being out of play? It looked like it but really is impossible to say. Lino wasn't up with play either so he'd wouldn't have been able to say categorically either way. 

Penalties? I can't remember the first but the second was a dive. Tried to use contact with the defender as a reason to go down. Your commentator said second was more of a pen than the first so I'm taking that as enough proof for me that me not remembering it should demonstrate 9to me) that it wasn't a penalty either.

Anyway, I'm glad we had a good run out. Didn't think you were very good on the day and looked very short up front. Good (as a Villa fan) to see weimann back and hopefully he can stay clear of injuries as he is still popular around B6. 

Anyway, good luck for your season and hope you can challenge at the top end. One flukey season can get teams promtoed as we've seen over the years. 

6 hours ago, peter w said:

I think many of you are being a bit salty for a friendly. as for the talking points - friend - *meh*. His card at the Villa fans was tongue in cheek and should be treated as such. it hurt no-one and was actually a comedic touch you don't see from many officials. There is a lot of anger towards him for the crystal palace thing and in an league/cup game I doubt we'll have forgotten that because he had a laugh in a friendly.

Ball being out of play? It looked like it but really is impossible to say. Lino wasn't up with play either so he'd wouldn't have been able to say categorically either way. 

Penalties? I can't remember the first but the second was a dive. Tried to use contact with the defender as a reason to go down. Your commentator said second was more of a pen than the first so I'm taking that as enough proof for me that me not remembering it should demonstrate 9to me) that it wasn't a penalty either.

Anyway, I'm glad we had a good run out. Didn't think you were very good on the day and looked very short up front. Good (as a Villa fan) to see weimann back and hopefully he can stay clear of injuries as he is still popular around B6. 

Anyway, good luck for your season and hope you can challenge at the top end. One flukey season can get teams promtoed as we've seen over the years. 

It’s interesting, i was at the end of the Dolman near the Villa fans and your view of the penalty incidents was pretty much the same as mine and was beginning to think maybe i’d missed something 

Think what’s annoyed people about Friend is he’s a self confessed city fan and made so much effort in trying not to appear biased he ended up having the opposite effect

And good luck to you too, do you think Grealish will go and if he does how much will it hurt you?

• Admin
On 31/07/2021 at 23:41, 1960maaan said:

I missed if it was announced over the PA system but the linesman infront of the Dolman was different from the first half (he took over as 4th official) the linesman in the second half was missing numerous basic things right infront of us, at one point I actually wondered if he knew what he was actually doing there?

I wonder whether officials get 45 minutes to get them back up to speed like players do in pre-season?

20210731_140407.jpg

Archived