IGNORED

Adam Nagy

pl00peh91

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the role our Hungarian dynamo will play this season?

NP seems wedded to the 4231 system at least for now and I’m wondering whether we would be better off using him as one of the screening two (ie in the James and King role) or whether he would be better off further forward in one of the three attacking roles? I recall he played in a more advanced position against QPR away last season and looked handy, so we could possibly rotate him with COD, Weimann et al in a more advanced position. We already have Bakinson and Joe Williams to come into the 2 position so it’s very congested in there at the moment.

Alternatively, it may be that Nagy adopts a similar role to Kalvin Phillips in the England set up where he played as one of the 2, but in a more advanced position than Rice and is essentially used to link the midfield. 

Do you think he should start this season and, if so, how would you utilise him?

Also, do you think NP rates him? I’ve not seen much evidence of that since his appointment (compared to, say, Massengo) but the Euros may have had a positive influence on his thinking. If he isn’t sold I think he could be a very important player for us next season but I’m not quite sure how he fits into our system yet.

Long season, all about players taking their chances wherever they get picked.  Nagy will undoubtedly get minutes, whether he does enough to make him a “first-pick” we will have to wait and see.  That stands for several players.  He’s good enough on his day, as are others.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Nagy would have been a better partner with James today imo. Think he suits us when we concede possession and can use his energy to get into good positions and win the ball back.

There’s no way we can play king & James as our shield. King wasn’t bad but he’s not particularly mobile and I’m hoping Williams is the long term solution. Nagy for me the better bet until he’s fit.

31 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

There’s no way we can play king & James as our shield. King wasn’t bad but he’s not particularly mobile and I’m hoping Williams is the long term solution. Nagy for me the better bet until he’s fit.

I prefer Massengo to Nagy. Not seen enough of Williams but right about King. He was ok today I thought but just ok. Not really sure he helped too much but did nothing wrong. 

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hard to know if we are easing him & Kalas back post Euros or looking to sell.

Certainly looked better than King when he came on & should start alongside James v Blackpool.

I think it's more about what their agents are hearing from across Europe. Both of them must have drawn some interest during the Euros, and whilst we might get what we feel are good fees, I think they would like bargains to some of the top european clubs.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it's more about what their agents are hearing from across Europe. Both of them must have drawn some interest during the Euros, and whilst we might get what we feel are good fees, I think they would like bargains to some of the top european clubs.

Ádám's agents are also the ones for Schafer. They honestly said after the euros that the policy of DAC is mainly to develop and sell so Schafer at a high probability will be sold. But Ádám's case is different: they will ask Bristol City first what is their priority - keep or sell for raising funds. No rush from their side as he enjoys being at Bristol City.

In a 4-2-3-1, I think I prefer him in one of the more attacking roles. At the end of last season, dreadful though we were, he struck me as one of the few players actually making something happen. 

In terms of Pearson, I think it's too hard to judge if he rates Nagy or not. He didn't play week in, week out last season but my perception was that he started to play more after Pearson's interview where he said he'd decided to drop players he could not trust. For that reason, I don't think he is in the "NP doesn't trust" or "NP wants him out" category but, at the same time, it's not yet clear if Pearson sees him as part of the first eleven and if he is being considered as an option to bring in funds for a striker.

I'd like us to keep him, for sure. But we shall see what happens. 

Really like Nagy.  Very clever player to go with his energy.   I thought he was great in the QPR game playing higher up the pitch.  Has the energy to get beyond the front players or make late runs into the box.  Very composed finish in one game (was that QPR?) so could get a few goals up there too. 

Not sure our managers have really figured out how to get the best from him.    

Obviously there are a number of selections issues for Blackpool, RB, whether Kalas returns & replaces either Baker or Atkinson, whether Martin or Wells start up front.

However for me centre midfield is a bit clearer, Massengo & Williams don’t look like they are 100%, Bakinson is probably going to start as a sub, so it comes down to King or Nagy to partner James.

Based on yesterday King looks more like a sub to me, he did ok-ish but I didn’t stake a big claim for a place.

I’d go with Weimann Nagy James O’Dowda & Palmer in front of them.

Bit left-field but for some games, could we play Nagy in a wider yet narrow role as towards the back end of last season?

Thinking base of James and Williams, then say Weimann-Palmer/Scott-Nagy...he was wideish yet narrowish a couple of games at the end of last season at times IIRC? Though if he's right footed perhaps not...

Of course O'Dowda and Semenyo options, then Martin, Wells or if we sign someone else up front, them through the middle can mix and match but that would be a way of getting 3 genuine CMs in certain phases, in and out of possession different shapes.

A quick search of WhoScored suggests he got 1 goal and 2 assists as an "Attacking midfielder Right". Can't remember our exact setups but was vs Luton and Wycombe I believe.

3 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Yep agree I just hope we play James with either Williams/Nagy. That’s a very strong base in midfield. Just need a striker so badly 

Do we need one so badly though? Martin has proven effective for Derby in the lone striker role at times in the past and Wells if played in his correct position, no I don't expect him to hit QPR form again but should be more effective than he has been. Of course if the right one at the right price was to become available no reason we shouldn't make a push finances permitting, but it doesn't seem disastrous yet.

Of course, Martin has had a significant injury layoff and is over 30 but he proved under Cocu arguably in 2019/20 that he could do it at Derby- wouldn't be expecting one to start every week anyway, one up front yeah but mix and match who goes in that position based on form, fitness etc.

His conversion rate with us has been significantly worse from my quick search, but then we had some severe issues creating chances last season after some early stages of the season.

Archived