Jump to content
IGNORED

Adam Nagy


pl00peh91
 Share

Recommended Posts

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the role our Hungarian dynamo will play this season?

NP seems wedded to the 4231 system at least for now and I’m wondering whether we would be better off using him as one of the screening two (ie in the James and King role) or whether he would be better off further forward in one of the three attacking roles? I recall he played in a more advanced position against QPR away last season and looked handy, so we could possibly rotate him with COD, Weimann et al in a more advanced position. We already have Bakinson and Joe Williams to come into the 2 position so it’s very congested in there at the moment.

Alternatively, it may be that Nagy adopts a similar role to Kalvin Phillips in the England set up where he played as one of the 2, but in a more advanced position than Rice and is essentially used to link the midfield. 

Do you think he should start this season and, if so, how would you utilise him?
 

Also, do you think NP rates him? I’ve not seen much evidence of that since his appointment (compared to, say, Massengo) but the Euros may have had a positive influence on his thinking. If he isn’t sold I think he could be a very important player for us next season but I’m not quite sure how he fits into our system yet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long season, all about players taking their chances wherever they get picked.  Nagy will undoubtedly get minutes, whether he does enough to make him a “first-pick” we will have to wait and see.  That stands for several players.  He’s good enough on his day, as are others.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the role our Hungarian dynamo will play this season?

NP seems wedded to the 4231 system at least for now and I’m wondering whether we would be better off using him as one of the screening two (ie in the James and King role) or whether he would be better off further forward in one of the three attacking roles? I recall he played in a more advanced position against QPR away last season and looked handy, so we could possibly rotate him with COD, Weimann et al in a more advanced position. We already have Bakinson and Joe Williams to come into the 2 position so it’s very congested in there at the moment.

Alternatively, it may be that Nagy adopts a similar role to Kalvin Phillips in the England set up where he played as one of the 2, but in a more advanced position than Rice and is essentially used to link the midfield. 

Do you think he should start this season and, if so, how would you utilise him?
 

Also, do you think NP rates him? I’ve not seen much evidence of that since his appointment (compared to, say, Massengo) but the Euros may have had a positive influence on his thinking. If he isn’t sold I think he could be a very important player for us next season but I’m not quite sure how he fits into our system yet.

Thought he gave us more mobility and energy to the midfield when he came on today. Actually went in really strong on one of their players in the corner which was good to see. Sent him to the floor, might have been Cash.

Was not all that impressed with King today to be honest. James on every friendly has looked class so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Nagy would have been a better partner with James today imo. Think he suits us when we concede possession and can use his energy to get into good positions and win the ball back.

There’s no way we can play king & James as our shield. King wasn’t bad but he’s not particularly mobile and I’m hoping Williams is the long term solution. Nagy for me the better bet until he’s fit.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

There’s no way we can play king & James as our shield. King wasn’t bad but he’s not particularly mobile and I’m hoping Williams is the long term solution. Nagy for me the better bet until he’s fit.

I prefer Massengo to Nagy. Not seen enough of Williams but right about King. He was ok today I thought but just ok. Not really sure he helped too much but did nothing wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hard to know if we are easing him & Kalas back post Euros or looking to sell.

Certainly looked better than King when he came on & should start alongside James v Blackpool.

I think it's more about what their agents are hearing from across Europe. Both of them must have drawn some interest during the Euros, and whilst we might get what we feel are good fees, I think they would like bargains to some of the top european clubs.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it's more about what their agents are hearing from across Europe. Both of them must have drawn some interest during the Euros, and whilst we might get what we feel are good fees, I think they would like bargains to some of the top european clubs.

Ádám's agents are also the ones for Schafer. They honestly said after the euros that the policy of DAC is mainly to develop and sell so Schafer at a high probability will be sold. But Ádám's case is different: they will ask Bristol City first what is their priority - keep or sell for raising funds. No rush from their side as he enjoys being at Bristol City.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a 4-2-3-1, I think I prefer him in one of the more attacking roles. At the end of last season, dreadful though we were, he struck me as one of the few players actually making something happen. 

In terms of Pearson, I think it's too hard to judge if he rates Nagy or not. He didn't play week in, week out last season but my perception was that he started to play more after Pearson's interview where he said he'd decided to drop players he could not trust. For that reason, I don't think he is in the "NP doesn't trust" or "NP wants him out" category but, at the same time, it's not yet clear if Pearson sees him as part of the first eleven and if he is being considered as an option to bring in funds for a striker.

I'd like us to keep him, for sure. But we shall see what happens. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really like Nagy.  Very clever player to go with his energy.   I thought he was great in the QPR game playing higher up the pitch.  Has the energy to get beyond the front players or make late runs into the box.  Very composed finish in one game (was that QPR?) so could get a few goals up there too. 

Not sure our managers have really figured out how to get the best from him.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously there are a number of selections issues for Blackpool, RB, whether Kalas returns & replaces either Baker or Atkinson, whether Martin or Wells start up front.

However for me centre midfield is a bit clearer, Massengo & Williams don’t look like they are 100%, Bakinson is probably going to start as a sub, so it comes down to King or Nagy to partner James.

Based on yesterday King looks more like a sub to me, he did ok-ish but I didn’t stake a big claim for a place.

I’d go with Weimann Nagy James O’Dowda & Palmer in front of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

King looks like a better version of Brunt. Someone to bring on when we need experience to shut the game out.

Yep agree I just hope we play James with either Williams/Nagy. That’s a very strong base in midfield. Just need a striker so badly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit left-field but for some games, could we play Nagy in a wider yet narrow role as towards the back end of last season?

Thinking base of James and Williams, then say Weimann-Palmer/Scott-Nagy...he was wideish yet narrowish a couple of games at the end of last season at times IIRC? Though if he's right footed perhaps not...

Of course O'Dowda and Semenyo options, then Martin, Wells or if we sign someone else up front, them through the middle can mix and match but that would be a way of getting 3 genuine CMs in certain phases, in and out of possession different shapes.

A quick search of WhoScored suggests he got 1 goal and 2 assists as an "Attacking midfielder Right". Can't remember our exact setups but was vs Luton and Wycombe I believe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Yep agree I just hope we play James with either Williams/Nagy. That’s a very strong base in midfield. Just need a striker so badly 

Do we need one so badly though? Martin has proven effective for Derby in the lone striker role at times in the past and Wells if played in his correct position, no I don't expect him to hit QPR form again but should be more effective than he has been. Of course if the right one at the right price was to become available no reason we shouldn't make a push finances permitting, but it doesn't seem disastrous yet.

Of course, Martin has had a significant injury layoff and is over 30 but he proved under Cocu arguably in 2019/20 that he could do it at Derby- wouldn't be expecting one to start every week anyway, one up front yeah but mix and match who goes in that position based on form, fitness etc.

His conversion rate with us has been significantly worse from my quick search, but then we had some severe issues creating chances last season after some early stages of the season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit left-field but for some games, could we play Nagy in a wider yet narrow role as towards the back end of last season?

Thinking base of James and Williams, then say Weimann-Palmer/Scott-Nagy...he was wideish yet narrowish a couple of games at the end of last season at times IIRC? Though if he's right footed perhaps not...

Of course O'Dowda and Semenyo options, then Martin, Wells or if we sign someone else up front, them through the middle can mix and match but that would be a way of getting 3 genuine CMs in certain phases, in and out of possession different shapes.

A quick search of WhoScored suggests he got 1 goal and 2 assists as an "Attacking midfielder Right". Can't remember our exact setups but was vs Luton and Wycombe I believe.

Nagy played right of a 4 in a 442 vs Luton. Watched the game back the other week and I don't think we played as well as I first thought! Though that first half was a massive improvement on most games around that time.

Nagy played well wide right in that game. Scored and assisted in the first half. Linked play well, and with there being 2 strikers in Wells and Conway there was room for Nagy and Massengo on each wing to come narrow into more attacking midfield positions.

Wycombe game he played right of a 4231 with Massengo in the 10 role. Nagy set up the Bakinson goal. Linked up well with Sessegnon. It was a solid look to the right side of the pitch, but not necessarily looking that dangerous going forward. I don't think it was a coincidence that once Nagy was subbed, Sessegon had a nightmare for the rest of the game without Nagy ahead of him.

I think Nagy is best in the kind of role he had yesterday when he came on. But I think he also has the qualities to be decent wide right too. Maybe more in a 442 where the right sided striker can sometimes run the right channel. Or if in a 4231 then I would want the attacking midfielder to rotate a bit with him, or the right back overlapping or mixture of the 2. I wouldn't want Nagy hugging the touchline all game.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...