IGNORED

Blackpool’s final friendly

Jerseybean

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

If ever there was a game in which you could afford to take a gamble and start Scott and Bell it's home to Blackpool with 45 games still to go in the season if you don't win. 

Go on Nige ?

Todays game will probably have given NP a real selection headache. Both Scott and Bell performed really well against quality opposition and are deserving of a start. But I think NP will go for a bit of experience in the opening game and stick with Palmer and O'Dowda who also had decent games today. I don't mind either way.

9 hours ago, mozo said:

If ever there was a game in which you could afford to take a gamble and start Scott and Bell it's home to Blackpool with 45 games still to go in the season if you don't win. 

Go on Nige ?

If ever there was a game to start Wells through the middle with Scott in a No.10 behind, this is it. 

45 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Anyone remember about 15 odd years ago we played Blackpool first game of the season think they had been promoted and  they only went and scored within the first 30 seconds. Managed to squeeze a draw in the end if I remember.

Massive thunderstorm about ten minutes before kick off? It was touch and whether the game would start or not IIRC.

11 hours ago, mozo said:

Go on Nige ?

I think they will be mainly used as impact men this season, which makes sense to me.

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Todays game will probably have given NP a real selection headache. Both Scott and Bell performed really well against quality opposition and are deserving of a start. But I think NP will go for a bit of experience in the opening game and stick with Palmer and O'Dowda who also had decent games today. I don't mind either way.

Those players that get selected have to start the ground running because nige still has a months worth of business if he needs to.. Not down to fitness now it's how they perform on a matchday a big season for o'dowda and Palmer.

3 hours ago, tin said:

If ever there was a game to start Wells through the middle with Scott in a No.10 behind, this is it. 

If you asked me who I trust more out of Wells and Bell, I'd struggle to decide.

Obviously Nige will go for experience and the old guard of Weimann, Martin and Wells will dominate selection this season and we really need to see the best of them.

46 minutes ago, mozo said:

If you asked me who I trust more out of Wells and Bell, I'd struggle to decide.

Obviously Nige will go for experience and the old guard of Weimann, Martin and Wells will dominate selection this season and we really need to see the best of them.

I think Wells has to play centrally or not at all. Bell certainly should have a role to play this season, but as NP has said, I’d prefer the youngsters to be gradually phased into a winning team. 

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was only a kid back then, but I always liked Junior Bent. But I have since assumed he must have been rubbish going by City fans opinions. But in this video he looks quality!

I was also a fan of Junior but unfortunately the blistering speed was all he really had. 9 times out of 10 he'd skin the defender, get to the by-line, but then hit the hotdog stand. Saying that though he did have some good games now and again, and scored some important goals.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I was also a fan of Junior but unfortunately the blistering speed was all he really had. 9 times out of 10 he'd skin the defender, get to the by-line, but then hit the hotdog stand. Saying that though he did have some good games now and again, and scored some important goals.

One away at Swindon springs to mind - ran the length of the pitch and buried it. I think we won 1-0 or maybe 2-1.

45 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One away at Swindon springs to mind - ran the length of the pitch and buried it. I think we won 1-0 or maybe 2-1.

Sounds like Ivan Sproule’s goal v Southampton.

We all thought that after running half the length of the pitch and with only the keeper to beat he’d sky it but to everyone’s amazement he slotted it. 
We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules...

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sounds like Ivan Sproule’s goal v Southampton.

We all thought that after running half the length of the pitch and with only the keeper to beat he’d sky it but to everyone’s amazement he slotted it. 
We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules...

Yep. A real Forrest Gump moment!

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I was only a kid back then, but I always liked Junior Bent. But I have since assumed he must have been rubbish going by City fans opinions. But in this video he looks quality!

He looks a lot better in those highlights than I remember him being!

13 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

Anyone remember about 15 odd years ago we played Blackpool first game of the season think they had been promoted and  they only went and scored within the first 30 seconds. Managed to squeeze a draw in the end if I remember.

This was on one of danny bakers own goals and gaffs videos that I had as a kid.

Something along the lines of...

"You spend all summer getting yourself ready only for it all to come crashing down in 7 seconds."

49 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

"You spend all summer getting yourself ready only for it all to come crashing down in 7 seconds."

:worship2:  I had that as well (on VHS, what's that to anyone under 30 :laugh:) and that must be as near as you'll get on what Danny said if not spot on.

8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

95/96 season. 11 seconds on the clock. Here it is, plus others courtesy of @1960maaan

I seem to remember that someone worked out that the game had kicked off a minute early, so we were actually 1 down before the season started. 

The strange thing about that is I could have sworn we already had seating in front of the Dolman by then, your memory definitely plays tricks on you.

9 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I tell you what... I'd forgotten how good our goal was!

What a shame that Seal had such a bad injury, I wonder if it's the type that they could fix and he could recover from these days? His ability to create something out of nothing was exceptional, he was one of the few things worth turning up for during the Pulis era.

Archived