IGNORED

Very Sad News, RIP Terry Cooper

1960maaan

Having been too young to (really) understand the 1st division days, to be getting a ticket for the Freight Rover final in '86, watching us play a blinder, and seeing the scoreboard read Bristol City 3 Bolton Wanderers 0, lifting the trophy, the lap of honour, but to see the tears in the eyes of TC and the emotion in his voice in his interview after the game, holding that trophy like a newborn baby....this man had played in the great Leeds team of the '70's and the World Cup....yet you could see what it meant to him. He'd been on the journey as much as, if not more so, than us fans. A humble man who gave his absolute everything for us. The word 'legend' is bandied around way too often these days for people who achieve nothing in comparison. A modern day hero AND legend in my eyes.

A sad, sad day. RIP Terry Cooper. Thanks for everything. But most of all, thanks for being 'one', like 'us'.

#hero #legend #wembley86

6 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

R.i.P TC. you saved our club. you brought it back to life. Wembley against Bolton. Chester away beating Rovers with David Hurst scoring. signing walsh neville and Riley. and many more. great memories. condolences  to his family. 

I was at all those games including Hereford home and away.

He gave me many happy memories 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

An absolute Gentleman. Hardworking and down to earth. RIP Sir. Xx

The club surely has to recognise him now, properly.

Agreed. Let’s hope the Owner knows his club history and a worthy tribute of a club Legend (in the true sense of the word) is given.

RIP Terry.

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

Bristol Rovers (a), Chester (a), Bolton (Wembley) - three of the best days following the club in 50 years. The Terry Cooper days… such a decent man.

100% - what days to be a City supporter they were!

Very sad news. Immense contribution to our club. I will never forget him. Some great memories - away at Eastville in the cup and the first trip to Wembley especially. I even saw the last league match he managed us - away at Southend on a Friday night in March 1988. Condolences to his family and friends. 

Very saddened to hear the news this evening.

A great and modest man who did so much for the club during some of its darkest times.  Could you imagine an ex England international nowadays washing the kit or helping new players move house by driving them across the country? 

I’m somewhat disappointed that the club didn’t do something in the last few years to honour him when he was still around, I’m sure he would have been touched by it.  

Whilst all the press will be about his Leeds days, he played a massive role in the history of Bristol City too, for which all should be very grateful. 

Before Cooper ever came to City i was lucky enough to se him play in his pomp in the 1970  Cup Final.

That was  a game that he was brillant in and then followed that up with an outstanding world cup in Mexcio.

What Terry put in to our club is,well as much as anyone has done in my lifetime.  R.I.P Terry Cooper great player,great manager great bloke.

What a man. Quietly resurrected our club.  Never shouted about his achievements but these achievements dwarf any of his predecessors. 

It would've been easy to play basic football when he took over given our circumstances but what I remember most is his determination that we recover playing football the right way.

We all have to go sometime and the passing of many is not mourned by the non immediate family.

However, for Bristol City supporters especially, the death of one of our greats is really a sad event. Terry Cooper dragged his bunch of kids and free transfers from the absolute bottom of the heap to the first move back to the club we know today. AD took us to the top of the pile but Terry Cooper saved us from disappearance into oblivion.

He did it with dignity and honesty just as he had during his playing career at Leeds, Boro, City and England.

RIP great man and condolences to his family.

The day out at Wembley in 1986 will forever be one of the happiest days of my football supporting life.

Through the difficult games of the early 80s, I stood in the covered end with my Dad. The club had real heart thanks to Terry Cooper. He was the man who gave us hope that there was a better future ahead.

This is a day of loss for his family and friends and all City supporters - young and old. Thank you for everything TC.

Rest in peace, you'll never be forgotten.

Archived