IGNORED

Very Sad News, RIP Terry Cooper

1960maaan

Great player and a truly nice man. He rebuilt City from the catastrophic consequences of going bust in 1982 and did so playing attractive, attacking football galvanising mainly free transfers and bargain buys. For what he achieved in those years as City manager makes him a City legend. 

RIP

I've commented elsewhere tonight but I'm shattered by the news. Truly he was one of the nicest men it was my privilege to meet, always having time to talk football with the supporters. He also led City to my favourite moment (trumping winning at Arsenal, Leeds or Liverpool) as I watched us win a trophy at Wembley by beating Bolton. 

Rest in peace great man. Condolences and prayers to family, friends, Leeds and lovers of football everywhere. 

Very sad day for everyone connected with our club. What TC did for our club in his time was amazing.

The club meant so much to him, and in his days the camaraderie between him and the fans was the best I’ve personally ever known. 

I am seriously upset about hearing this  news, he deserves so much praise for all he did for our club, and I hope the club give him the send off he so deserves.

RIP TC 

never to be forgotten 

If I was to pick a stand out person in my 45 years of watching City, it would be Terry Cooper. He made a difference, a big difference.

I remember meeting him a couple of times after games and he was a lovely bloke, he made you love the club more than you already did.

He even answered the phone once when I rang up the ticket office.

A true club legend

Just now, ralphindevon said:

If I was to pick a stand out person in my 45 years of watching City, it would be Terry Cooper. He made a difference, a big difference.

I remember meeting him a couple of times after games and he was a lovely bloke, he made you love the club more than you already did.

He even answered the phone once when I rang up the ticket office.

A true club legend

Same. He is my Mister Bristol City. 

Gutted. - as so many have already said my favourite City Manager.  Top bloke, great player and good manager.

Given the strength of affection that so many fans have for him it is a real shame that as a club and as supporters  that we failed to properly show our appreciation for him more formally before today’s devastating news.

Best wishes to his family.

16 minutes ago, GBF said:

Gutted. - as so many have already said my favourite City Manager.  Top bloke, great player and good manager.

Given the strength of affection that so many fans have for him it is a real shame that as a club and as supporters  that we failed to properly show our appreciation for him more formally before today’s devastating news.

Best wishes to his family.

Hear hear.  Been said by many on here  before that he should’ve had formal recognition within the club in some way for his part in our history. 

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Well Terry we're still playing at ashton gate and we have that training facility, you may have played for Leeds but I truly believe your heart belonged at Bristol city you will never be forgotten by us thanks for the memories, RIP.

What a man. One of the most important figures that our club has ever been blessed with. A humble, hugely committed man whose personal endeavour saved Bristol City. 
Thank you Terry, you will never be forgotten. My thoughts are with your family at this sad time.

Very sad.

TC was some player & bar injury would have played a lot more top flight football.

When he joined us we couldn’t have sunk much lower, we had basically 4 senior pros, John Shaw plus the 3 he recruited, Tom Ritchie, Glyn Riley & Alan Crawford, himself & a load of kids.

Even in the fourth division he only played football the right way & completely rebuilt us, doing pretty much every job as he did, speaking to every supporter as if he was one of us.

At times it appeared to be only him & Beryl Fudge working there.

He played for England at the 1970 World Cup but at 40 was still turning out in the fourth division to turn us around.

Just like Alan Dicks, who is still with us, the club has been really slow at acknowledging their contribution & should do so in both cases as soon as possible.

It's about time this club had something named after him.  A bit late already I would say, they should have honoured him when he was alive.. A proper legend of this club unlike some that are held up as legends.

Thanks for the memories Terry, you pulled this cub up kicking and screaming from its lowest point, you will always be the manager I respected the most of any Bristol city Manager

tc will always have a place in my heart,

brings back a memory of being a shy young boy watching his first few games of live football and tc shaking my hand in the carpark i was so bloody chuffed, never looked back after that.

total gentleman nice guy and bloody good manager

rip tc

Really struggling with this terribly sad news.  Legend just does not seem an adequate word for someone who did so much to rebuild this club.

I met him once, he was in the ticket office and gave me a guided tour of the gymnasium, offices and pitch side, shook my hand and thanked me for supporting the club.  I will never forget that day.

Thank you for everything TC.

RIP Sir.

Before my time but got to admire a man who walks in after bankruptcy, 3 straight relegations and when even most fans had deserted for the time being (looking at attendance numbers). That first half season in division four sounds brutal, he must have been one relieved man when the club started to turn the corner. Looks like getting to Wembley meant the world to him too.

Some of my greatest memories  were with that team made me proud to be a city fan at school again after nearly not having a club . Bolton at Wembley.Stevie Neville’s extra time winner in the semi. Beating Rovers at eastville. Chester away to win promotion. Massive part of my teenage years thanks for memories Terry you will be loved and missed Rip TC

Archived