IGNORED

Very Sad News, RIP Terry Cooper

1960maaan

I’m genuinely upset at this news.

The best man and the best manager at Bristol City in my 42 years supporting City. 

As many have said he got us going, gave us a team to be proud of and we always played good, positive, entertaining football. 

I’ve never enjoyed watching football as much as I did in those days. The club and fans were so much closer then, largely due to Terry. 

He should have been honoured long ago… but this isn’t really the same club as those days, it’s just a business now, more is the pity. 

RIP Terry, thank you for the memories. 

I’ve been out with friends tonight celebrating my impending 40th birthday, and I’m genuinely heartbroken to hear this news. He was manager before I started following City, but I know that this man sweated blood picking our club up when it was at it’s lowest ebb. His tears at Wembley in 1986 will never be forgotten. I hope the club will do the right thing and give him a proper and fitting tribute next Saturday.

We’ve had managers who’ve achieved more on the pitch, but we’ve never had one who worked harder, or cared for the club as much. We as a club and a fanbase owe him a rousing tribute before next Saturday’s game, let’s give the man a fitting send off. RIP Terry Cooper. 

The outpourings of grief and tributes on here are a testament to the high regard  this truly wonderful man is held in.   I count myself fortunate to have met him, and i have never forgotten his warmth and humour.   A great man and an outstanding footballer.

The term Legend is overused, but as far as TC   is concerned, it could not be more appropriate.  RIP Terry.......you will not be forgotten.     

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Terrible news. Absolute City legend. The club have left it too late to honour him by naming something after him. 

Rest In Peace TC

One of the greats and will never be forgotten

I actually shed a tear over this.

I was a ball boy and groundkeepers matchday assistant whilst TC was there, met him many times when he came to our house, when my old man did the kit.

Humble, charming, genuine great guy.

I really hope there is a "Terry Cooper Way" in the concourses at the very least.

If there is a shread of the 'REAL' Bristol city left, then the club should, if the family agrees, hold a rememberence ceremony for TC, and IMMEDIATELY rename the South Stand.

The Terry Cooper Stand, with Beryl Fudge Way inside should be the least Lansdown should do.

I really hope the family agree to let the fans show their love for Terry by perhaps letting us attend a pre-funeral gathering somewhere close to the obviously private actual funeral.

For the younger fans - WITHOUT TERRY COOPER AND BERYL FUDGE WE WOULD HAVE NO CLUB.

Thanks to the people who raised the money to keep us afloat - they won't be forgotten.

But TC kept the SPIRIT of Bristol City alive

God Bless you Terry - you will be missed by so many.

Condolences to his family at this time - you should know, if you don't, that we LOVED this man.

RIP Terry.

And Thankyou.

Gutted. People like Terry Cooper don't pass away, they are always here with us.

Absolute legend, the current generation of City fans and definitely the current ownership will never understand what that man did for our football club.

Will try to find a Guardian article from round 1984, the man managed, played, scouted, cajoled, encouraged, directed as a director, swept the terraces, literally, when we were on our knees, wore his heart on his sleeve, in an era when playing football and being part of a community meant so much more then than it does now.

No wonder he broke down at that Wembley final, and we all felt so proud of him, and of us.

Really feel that I just lost a part of me.

God bless, Terry.

Terry Cooper at Bristol City was before my time but reading and hearing all the stories of what he done for our great club really is incredible. Absolutely gutted tonight and watching that video after the win against Bolton really does hit you hard and shows how much it meant to him.

Thank you for giving me, every other City fan + future fans a Bristol City to support! The South Stand needs to have his name on it. 

RIP Terry Cooper..Legend.

Gutted. 

A story I’ve told Many times was away at Bradford in about 84. 

I was on my way up to see the girlfriend at the time in Sunderland and  stopped off at Bradford away. (I was a catch I’ll tell ya) got to the ground early and went into a local pub and always remember the Bradford boys were awesome. 

Went to the valley as the Peter Carroll Mobil rolled up and was clapping the players off.

As I remember it Tom R , Walshy and Shaw got off the bus followed by TC. As he got off I said hey Terry are we gonna win today and he replied “I don’t ******* know” while looking at me like I was some sort of ***. 

We drew 1/1 for the record (Walsh I think) but it did stop me from asking stupid questions…GMcG take note!

Terry Cooper TRUE CITY LEDGE!

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Gutted. People like Terry Cooper don't pass away, they are always here with us.

Absolute legend, the current generation of City fans and definitely the current ownership will never understand what that man did for our football club.

Will try to find a Guardian article from round 1984, the man managed, played, scouted, cajoled, encouraged, directed as a director, swept the terraces, literally, when we were on our knees, wore his heart on his sleeve, in an era when playing football and being part of a community meant so much more then than it does now.

No wonder he broke down at that Wembley final, and we all felt so proud of him, and of us.

Really feel that I just lost a part of me.

God bless, Terry.

I have run out of reactions. Great post 

I think it speaks volumes about the man that providing us with exciting, attacking and entertaining football, is considered well down the list of his achievements here.

How often we have longed for someone who could just do that without also selling tickets, painting things, saving a club and the supporters' pride and investing their own money in the club. Oh, and be a Genius/Thief in the transfer market, especially at tribunals.

On the subject of being remembered, I always came to think of him as a manager. He used to play a bit as well.

1681371096_Screenshot2021-08-01043608.jpg.dc8876db212dea0826afc4039860a656.jpg

Full Article - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2010/feb/17/terry-cooper-left-back-england

Top Cat invented the attacking wing-back position imo! his style would suit today's football. 

One of the first footballers to wear white boots & of course scored the goal v Arsenal that won Leeds their first trophy, the League Cup back in 1968.

So pleased to read many robins fans paying tribute to Terry, I know he did a wonderful job managing your club.

Good luck for the forthcoming season.

6 minutes ago, 1964w said:

Top Cat invented the attacking wing-back position imo! his style would suit today's football. 

One of the first footballers to wear white boots & of course scored the goal v Arsenal that won Leeds their first trophy, the League Cup back in 1968.

So pleased to read many robins fans paying tribute to Terry, I know he did a wonderful job managing your club.

Good luck for the forthcoming season.

I feel we should spare a thought for you guys too - you have had a truly devastating eighteen months with the legends you have lost.

5 hours ago, City oz said:

One of the greats and will never be forgotten

Born in 1944. Wow way to young. One of the best left - back players of all time. We all remember at City how he was a major factor that helped City from total closure and bankruptcy.

He is probably up there now with his mate Norman Hunter in a good place and playing football. 

RIP Terry.

I just got jolted awake by radio 5 news on hearing this. So sad.

From England and Leeds great to painting Ashton Gate in the close season. From 1-0 down, 2-1 up we knocked Rovers out the cup, to crying at Wembley after beating Bolton in the Frieght Rover Cup. A great man.

Thoughts are with family and friends.

RIP TC.

I can’t really add more than what has already been said.

Terry Cooper deserves much more recognition from the club. He brought us back to life and gave us our first ever Wembley final and a trophy. Without his titanic work who knows where we would be today.

Add to that his quality on the pitch as player manager. 

RIP Terry and thank you .

RIP TC, gone but will NEVER be forgotten.

When I was covering City for GWR Sport [now Heart FM] in the 80's myself, Richard Latham and one or two other local reporters used to travel on the team coach. I had some great chats with Terry, win or lose, and that day in May 86 travelling down Wembley Way with the lads and stepping out onto the pitch [as we did the day prior to get a feel for the place] is one of my life's unforgettable experiences.

Terry Cooper's role at the club should never be under estimated. Simply unbelievable what he did getting us back from the darkest days of our football club.

Absolute legend. Whilst our revamped stadium should have had some TC area of recognition when he was alive, the board should acknowledge what he did for the club in his memory. It's taken a long long time to truly remember the Ashton Gate 8 and what they did.... TC's role that followed was arguably as important as Terry rebuilt our football club with very limited funds. 

A true Bristol City legend. RIP TC

12 minutes ago, headhunter said:

RIP TC, gone but will NEVER be forgotten.

When I was covering City for GWR Sport [now Heart FM] in the 80's myself, Richard Latham and one or two other local reporters used to travel on the team coach. I had some great chats with Terry, win or lose, and that day in May 86 travelling down Wembley Way with the lads and stepping out onto the pitch [as we did the day prior to get a feel for the place] is one of my life's unforgettable experiences.

Headhunter keeps those treasured moments mate. TC was one of the best. The experiences you must have experienced in those times need to be kept in your mind as a life times best to be associated  with the club then and what Terry did for the club not only as a player, a manager and a mentor to all football players that then played for City but also to football players across the country,

Archived