IGNORED

Very Sad News, RIP Terry Cooper

1960maaan

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I feel we should spare a thought for you guys too - you have had a truly devastating eighteen months with the legends you have lost.

Thank you Lanterne, the last 18 months have been truly awful.

Many of the Revie players have always attended Leeds games, such a shame as they missed out on watching Leeds back in the prem. 

8 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I’m genuinely upset at this news.

The best man and the best manager at Bristol City in my 42 years supporting City. 

As many have said he got us going, gave us a team to be proud of and we always played good, positive, entertaining football. 

I’ve never enjoyed watching football as much as I did in those days. The club and fans were so much closer then, largely due to Terry. 

He should have been honoured long ago… but this isn’t really the same club as those days, it’s just a business now, more is the pity. 

RIP Terry, thank you for the memories. 

Great words .exactly  how I feel ?

Turned the club around when it was at it's lowest ebb.

I loved his cameo appearances when we were in Div 4, he must have been nearly 40 but if we were struggling in a game he'd come on for the last half hour, and more or less stand in the centre circle wait to be given the ball and then he'd spray pinpoint passes to any part of the pitch, his class was still there he just couldn't run!

The club had no money in those days, when we won the Freight Rover in 1986 against Bolton the money we made paid for a new roof on the East End, how times have changed.

Gutted.

People come and people go.

When the dust settles and time has played their hand very, very few are left standing.

In the annals of Bristol City, Terry Cooper is one of the very, very few.

Never forgotten.

Thank you Terry Cooper.

RIP Mr Cooper,  true legend.  I was only saying in a thread a few weeks ago it is astonishing that there is nothing named after him at the club or training centre and this should be rectified before it is too late.

Very sad news. My condolences to his family, friends and those like me who saw him as the man who saved my club and gave City and the city of Bristol its pride back.

Almost impossible to add anything original to all the very moving tributes that have already been written. The sheer volume of responses in itself speaks volumes about the man. The game has grown vastly richer in financial terms since TC’s time, but it’s far, far poorer for the loss of a guy like him.

That the true spirit of football, as we experienced it in those times, has declined in inverse proportion to the increase in wealth is illustrated all too clearly by the fact that, despite being urged to do so many times by supporters, nobody at the club could be bothered to do anything in formal acknowledgement of the fact that without Terry Cooper, they wouldn’t have a club to run, which is, frankly, a disgrace and a telling indictment of the values that now underpin the sport. The club should be ashamed of itself.

I hope for the sake of his family that the tremendous outpouring of affection from fans on this forum will help to compensate for that, and will serve to assure them that in the true, beating heart of the club - which is, of course, and always will be, the fan base - Coops will always be remembered with massive respect and gratitude. I am, for once, proud to belong to this forum and proud also of the many supporters who have demonstrated by their contributions to this thread that they understand and appreciate the things that really matter in the game.

I absolutely loved the bloke to bits and, like everyone else, am very, very sad at his passing.

Very sad news and thoughts go to his family.

As a player who had 2 spells playing for us both as a player during our 1st division heyday and then more importantly as the player/manager who revived the club after 1982, we will always be in his debt - to the extent that everyone here can even forgive his brief time with the blue few!

However I have just heard the radio news announcing this news and very annoyingly mentioned TC managing clubs like Birmingham and Exeter, but no mention of us at all, even though that Freight Rover victory was his only silverware as a manager. The likely reason is that his time with us and what he achieved hardly registers on his Wikipedia page. Please could someone with a better memory of that period add some more detail to his time as City manager on Wikipedia, so that it truly reflects his importance to our club and supporters.

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Very sad news and thoughts go to his family.

As a player who had 2 spells playing for us both as a player during our 1st division heyday and then more importantly as the player/manager who revived the club after 1982, we will always be in his debt - to the extent that everyone here can even forgive his brief time with the blue few!

However I have just heard the radio news announcing this news and very annoyingly mentioned TC managing clubs like Birmingham and Exeter, but no mention of us at all, even though that Freight Rover victory was his only silverware as a manager. The likely reason is that his time with us and what he achieved hardly registers on his Wikipedia page. Please could someone with a better memory of that period add some more detail to his time as City manager on Wikipedia, so that it truly reflects his importance to our club and supporters.

I remember going to wembley on both occasions.

MY CLUB: TERRY COOPER

SUNDAY, MAY 24TH 2020

The former England and Leeds United full-back ended his playing career at Ashton Gate and managed the club during its fight back from near extinction in 1982 – taking the Robins to Wembley for the first time in their history.

I was at Middlesbrough, nearing the end of my playing career, when I got a phone call from my old Leeds United team-mate the late Norman Hunter, who was then in Bristol City’s team, to say that manager Alan Dicks was looking for a left-back. Did I fancy joining him at Ashton Gate?

That call changed the course of my life. When I discussed it with my wife Rose, she reasonably pointed out that I was 34 and it would mean uprooting to go to the other end of the country when our kids were settled at school. I don’t know why, but I just fancied it and agreed terms in no time when I came down to speak to the club. Along with the family, I ended up spending the next 13 years in the Bristol and never regretted moving to such a lovely city.

Unfortunately, I didn’t play much because of problems with an Achilles tendon, but I still enjoyed being involved at what was then a top-flight club with a fantastic spirit and a good team. Little did I know then that I would return as manager in 1982 after launching that part of my career at Bristol Rovers with so little experience that I contrived to cock them up completely! I did learn a lot from that 18 months, however, and was more prepared for the role when City came calling.

Director Bob Boyd, who ran the schoolboy team my son Mark played for, was first to ask if I fancied the job. The club had survived almost going out of business a matter of months earlier and, although a new company had taken over, only a few players had signed on for the following season. It was like an artist being offered a blank canvas to work on. With virtually no money to spend, there was an entire team to build.

I still told Bob that City would be brave to take me on as manager after what I had done at Rovers. Fortunately, I don’t think anyone else wanted the job! I agreed to take charge and brought in Clive Middlemass, who I had known since our early days as youngsters at Leeds, to be my assistant. Together we did almost everything, training, scouting, the laundry, and even acting as removal men for Alan Walsh when I signed him from Darlington.

I reckoned there was only one way Bristol City could go after three successive relegation seasons, unless I was a complete imbecile. But I was wrong. By December of my first season in charge, we were bottom of the entire Football League. I made a comeback on the pitch as player-manager and, with Tom Ritchie and Chris Garland recruited to join John Shaw in what was basically a team of kids, the tide started to turn.

Results improved and, with a few more signings in the summer, we went up the following season, thanks to there being four promotion places available. I’ll never forget during the coach trip home from Chester, where we clinched a place in the Third Division, seeing a car full of supporters with a big banner saying ‘Jesus Said Come Forth.’

And We Did. Two years later came the Freight Rover Trophy final at Wembley and the sight of 30,000 City fans cheering the lads on against Bolton Wanderers made it the most emotional occasion of my entire football career. I had played for England and in a great Leeds side, but this was the team Clive and I had built from nothing and seeing them grace Wembley with some fantastic football in a 3-0 win was too much for me. I choked up during a TV interview on the pitch after the game and couldn’t talk. Memories of that day remain so vivid and a couple of reunions in recent years have reminded me how special it was for players and supporters alike.

I wish I could have won another promotion for the club, but I left it in good hands when Joe Jordan, a player I had signed thinking he might one day replace me as manager, did exactly that in 1988. We had gone close to reaching the Second Division on a couple of occasions and I was delighted when Joe achieved that aim in 1990.

I still keep a close eye on results from my home in Tenerife and enjoy reminiscing with fans on trips to visit Mark at Forest Green Rovers. He loved growing up in Bristol and it’s always nice to hear long-standing City supporters speak fondly of those days back in the 1980s when the club was close-knit and united in its determination to become a force in English football again.

This interview is one of many inside the commemorative 125th anniversary brochure. It tells the story of the club's history, exclusive interviews, profiles of former players, images from the arrives and more. Buy yours from the Bristol Sport Store online for just £5.

Very sad loss.

I will remember him for not only the great things he did in turning the club around and bringing absolute joy back into following City, but for all the little menial jobs for the club that he did in his every day life as our manager.

And if you were ever lucky enough to bump into him in and around the ground he would always be happy to have a few words with smile on his face.

Such a nice guy

RIP TC

Shame on you Lansdownes.
That man saved this club. How little effort would it have taken to have acknowledged what TC did for the club by doing something around the ground to demonstrate how important TC was. Shameful in my opinion.

Sad day for me also. RIP TC. Legend.

No City manager had more genuine empathy with the fans.

He served me my tickets from the Williams hatch for the first Freight Rover final -'Have a great day at Wembley, you deserve it.'

I'd been to Leeds in the cup, Arsenal, Coventry, followed City throughout the div.1 days, but having stuck with the club during our plummet through the divisions I always say the promotion day at Chester under TC was as enjoyable and memorable as any of them.

Remember him conducting the singing masses on the pitch from the stand at Sealand Road - he knew what that day meant to us, he knew exactly what we'd been through - he was overjoyed for US.

There won't be another like him, or a time when the manager and the fans are so close, with such mutual respect and affection.

RIP Terry.

1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

Shame on you Lansdownes.
That man saved this club. How little effort would it have taken to have acknowledged what TC did for the club by doing something around the ground to demonstrate how important TC was. Shameful in my opinion.

Sad day for me also. RIP TC. Legend.

I would say it's a case of shame on some of our entitled supporters many of whom were not even supporting the club when Terry was in charge and are completely oblivious of his massive contribution to it. If anyone deserves a bloody statue these days............ It sickens me to read the constant moaning, negativity and bellyaching on here by a minority who feel we should be walking the Championship on a day when we celebrate the life of a bloke who literally gave everything he had for this football club. This at a time when we needed it most to enable it to even exist and be in a position where these dissatisfied and disillusioned moaners can constantly run everything about the club down despite now being in a position where, effectively and being honest about it whatever our personal thoughts on the Owner, we've never had it so good.

The contribution made by the Management at that time extended to helping players move down here, carrying out works at the ground, paying for players fish and chips on the way home from matches at times etc., not just time spent on the training ground, that's how skint we were at the time. I would say to those moaners give it a rest for a week or so and spend a bit of time being thankful that Terry Cooper walked through our doors and was a huge part of you having the opportunity that you grab with both hands of criticising the club so much.

I never met Terry but I’m devastated that’s he's passed away . That team he built in the eighties was the start of the club getting back on its feet. He will always be my favourite manager no matter what we achieve in the future . He was more than just a manager though. Washed the kit , removal man , director . He was exactly what the club needed at that time.

Sadly quite a few of us have mentioned to the club of a need to celebrate Terry’s influence on city & nothing has been done. This really has saddened me. I’m not having a pop at the club here, it’s not the time or the place . However they really do need to put something in place . A minutes silence is not enough . 

Some great tributes. Younger fans must wonder what us older one’s are on about when they hear us moan “supporting City isn’t like it used to be” 

They must think, well hang on, we were in the bottom leagues back then and now we’re an established championship club.

The reason we say it is Terry Cooper. When he was at the club we as supporters were as important as anyone. No secrets, if you saw Terry after a game and asked him why he took Glyn Riley off, he’d tell you. He would listen to you and your opinion.
He would lead by example in everything he did, if the phone was ringing in the office as he walked through, he’d answer it. As a player he was just an absolute joy to watch and would sometimes have you in stitches as he weaved his way through the opposition at just over walking pace.

We may not have had highly paid players and rarely got a mention in the national media as we struggled in the basement leagues but it was THE best time to be a City fan

12 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Having been too young to (really) understand the 1st division days, to be getting a ticket for the Freight Rover final in '86, watching us play a blinder, and seeing the scoreboard read Bristol City 3 Bolton Wanderers 0, lifting the trophy, the lap of honour, but to see the tears in the eyes of TC and the emotion in his voice in his interview after the game, holding that trophy like a newborn baby....this man had played in the great Leeds team of the '70's and the World Cup....yet you could see what it meant to him. He'd been on the journey as much as, if not more so, than us fans. A humble man who gave his absolute everything for us. The word 'legend' is bandied around way too often these days for people who achieve nothing in comparison. A modern day hero AND legend in my eyes.

A sad, sad day. RIP Terry Cooper. Thanks for everything. But most of all, thanks for being 'one', like 'us'.

#hero #legend #wembley86

Perfectly said. Like you I have very little memory of the first division days . Terry was the first manager I really remember . Devastated ?

Just woken up to the news

Absolutely gutted.

Not much more to add than others have already said. What a legend. Made my first trip to Wembley as a young lad a very memorable one, that I've never forgot.

Thank you for what did at Bristol City Terry and may you rest in peace.

48 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He served me my tickets from the Williams hatch for the first Freight Rover final -'Have a great day at Wembley, you deserve it.'

Little interactions like this that demonstrate his love for this club and it’s fans. Brought us back to life, pulled  us up from the bottom, got us to our first Wembley final a few years after the most traumatic days in our clubs history, sells tickets for the match and tells fans that we deserve it.

This choked me up.

Incredible bloke.

Absolutely aweful news.  

Take note anyone brought up in the modern day era of mercenary footballer’s, where ‘legends’ are a player who kisses the badge, but then bugger off as soon as a better offer comes along.  

Terry Cooper was a true legend in every sense of the word.  How else can you explain how a man who had excelled for England and in that great Leeds team, genuinely shed tears at Wembley in that lower league trophy and proclaim it as his proudest moment in football.  TC encapsulated everything good in football and sadly, we’ll never see the likes of him again.

Us older fans, along with the club owe this great man so much and I’m so grateful for some of the happiest, proudest and most enjoyable times following City.  He also allowed us to dream of greater things.

Thank you Mr Terry Cooper, you made a massive difference to this club and should have been formally recognized for that, but you’ll forever be in the hearts of us adoring fans who were privilaged to watch you and your team play.

Rest easy sir!!!

RIP Terry Cooper - a great guy who exemplified what connection with the fans is all about.

Terry brought much-needed class and experience to our team during those heady days in the top flight. In later years he guided our struggling club away from the embarrassment of playing in the 4th Division. A time when the die-hard, loyal supporters and our club were tightly-knit in taking on everything thrown at us.

With scant resources Terry provided the leadership, grit and determination to get us heading back up the league and winning trophies.

Thanks for everything.

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I would like to add to others comments. Many of you will never have met or seen Terry Cooper. You will have heard of him , but maybe are puzzled by why so many older fans are so distraught and saying so many heartfelt things. Well it stems back to our famous fall from grace and near extinction. Can you imagine today , let's say someone who has won England caps, the league title, working day and night to save a club. I mean save it, get a team on the pitch. Still trying to play when you should have long retired. Fielding players who were just YTS kids. But that was easy , when it also meant selling tickets, scouting, training, cleaning, organising , well just everything really. Yet he took time for everyone, would speak to all , always replied to letters, and put his heart into everything. He was very hurt when he left the club, and so he should have been. From the total disaster we were in, he got us a trip to Wembley for a day no-one will ever forget. Bear in mind most of those fans had probably seen us in the top flight. I have never seen so many fans crying with emotion that day, it was the release of sadness, stress, despair of the previous 4 years or so . One man had hauled a derelict club back, and that was Terry Cooper. I wrote to him to thank him, and he just replied it was a team effort and that he was just doing his job. 

Just one small aside. Mark was at my school, and years later I got to know some of the teachers quite well. We used to have a thing called parents evening where parents would come and talk to the teachers. The idea was to give feedback. TC sat down in front of one of the teachers and said " Right, what do you want to know about my son then ?" That was Terry . Strong willed, determined and tough as heck. Without that drive , he could never have dragged our club out of the black hole it was in. 

So, it is not just some old fans reminiscing about the good old days. It is far far more important than that. Terry was so special, and I am absolutely sure there will be few that have shed a tear out of respect and admiration.

Thank you Terry .

Read this from last year . It explains in his words what he did.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/my-club-terry-cooper/

PS. Why the club did not use a photo of Terry at Wembley with their comment. It was the highlight for him and us all. That is the image we all recall. I

I’m long out of likes on this thread but well said. 

PS you know why the 2021 business didn’t use an appropriate picture of him. We’ve long ceased being a club as Terry would have remembered it - sadly. 

The 'Terry Cooper South stand', has to be.

Like all of a certain age, I am absolutely gutted with this news.

I just hope the club do something to commemorate this absolute legend and naming a stand after him is the minimum we should do.

I'm not sure the younger ones really appreciate what TC did, every word of Billy's post above is spot on.

Up there with Alan Dicks, maybe even above him.

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Almost impossible to add anything original to all the very moving tributes that have already been written. The sheer volume of responses in itself speaks volumes about the man. The game has grown vastly richer in financial terms since TC’s time, but it’s far, far poorer for the loss of a guy like him.

That the true spirit of football, as we experienced it in those times, has declined in inverse proportion to the increase in wealth is illustrated all too clearly by the fact that, despite being urged to do so many times by supporters, nobody at the club could be bothered to do anything in formal acknowledgement of the fact that without Terry Cooper, they wouldn’t have a club to run, which is, frankly, a disgrace and a telling indictment of the values that now underpin the sport. The club should be ashamed of itself.

I hope for the sake of his family that the tremendous outpouring of affection from fans on this forum will help to compensate for that, and will serve to assure them that in the true, beating heart of the club - which is, of course, and always will be, the fan base - Coops will always be remembered with massive respect and gratitude. I am, for once, proud to belong to this forum and proud also of the many supporters who have demonstrated by their contributions to this thread that they understand and appreciate the things that really matter in the game.

I absolutely loved the bloke to bits and, like everyone else, am very, very sad at his passing.

Brilliant post.

Not sure anyone has mentioned this but he actually told the board to appoint Joe Jordan to replace him when he was on the board as well as still our manager.

Impossible to imagine that sort of humility & willingness to put the club ahead of your own career & ego would ever happen in football these days.

44 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Out of likes I’m afraid. 

Watching those highlights now…. That’s how I want Bristol City to play. Always positive. Always looking to attack and yet we were well drilled with good leaders on the pitch.  
Why countless managers have found it so hard to get that balance is beyond me…. For me only GJ (early on) and Cotts got close to it. 
I know the game is quicker now, more technical… but if you happen to be reading Nige… that’s how Bristol City should play! (IMHO).  

I've said it earlier but massive thanks Terry. Let’s also mention Clive Middlemas, Alex Lockhart, all the kids chucked in at the deep end and all the veterans and players plucked from nowhere…. Someone had an eye for a player and a bargain in those days!!  Great days and TC was the reason for it. 

Archived