IGNORED

Very Sad News, RIP Terry Cooper

1960maaan

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The 'Terry Cooper South stand', has to be.

Like all of a certain age, I am absolutely gutted with this news.

I just hope the club do something to commemorate this absolute legend and naming a stand after him is the minimum we should do.

I'm not sure the younger ones really appreciate what TC did, every word of Billy's post above is spot on.

Up there with Alan Dicks, maybe even above him.

I’ve used all my allotted likes for today, but I’d like to say I 100% agree with this. 

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant post.

Not sure anyone has mentioned this but he actually told the board to appoint Joe Jordan to replace him when he was on the board as well as still our manager.

Impossible to imagine that sort of humility & willingness to put the club ahead of your own career & ego would ever happen in football these days.

I’m not sure it’s been mentioned but he sat on the board didn’t he…. He did EVERYTHING!!

I remember he wanted to sign a young Brian Deane. The board wouldn’t back him (don’t really blame them - in those days we were still financially recovering and used to turn a small profit!!). How things might have turned out with a player of that potential.  

He turned Keith Curle from a winger into an England central defender!  

…and as for signing Alan Walsh! 

A fitting and genuinely touching thread which is a credit to the man, the memories and the fans.

In my lifetime I have had the privilege of seeing and hearing from a number of City ‘legends’, although some fans may use a different term I’m using ‘legend’ to describe individuals whose contribution and commitment to our Club is significantly over-and-above that of others.

Each fan will have their own such list of City ‘legends’. My list, based on those I have seen in person, is: John Atyeo, Harry Dolman, Alan Dicks, The Ashton Gate Eight, Steve Lansdown and Terry Cooper. I appreciate there are others that some may add. I’m looking forward to adding Nigel Pearson to this list, in a few years, when he takes us to the Premiership.

The Club has recognised, in one or another (albeit sometimes belatedly), the immense contributions of most of these people, the exceptions being Alan Dicks and Terry Cooper. I trust and hope that this will be appropriately rectified by those currently in a position to do so.

RIP Terry, condolences to your family and friends and thank you for everything you did for my Club.

I am repeating myself a bit here, but it’s worth saying again that this thread, despite being prompted by something very upsetting, is also massively heartwarming. There is so much negativity on the forum much of the time that I very rarely post nowadays. The outpouring of admiration, respect and gratitude from supporters old enough to remember Terry is extremely moving. It’s hugely reassuring to know that these sentiments are still alive among the fan base; just a pity that it takes such a terribly sad event to evoke them. Maybe it will encourage younger fans and those too readily inclined to complain about recent disappointments to put what are, in reality, relatively minor setbacks into some perspective.

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Shame on you Lansdownes.
That man saved this club. How little effort would it have taken to have acknowledged what TC did for the club by doing something around the ground to demonstrate how important TC was. Shameful in my opinion.

Sad day for me also. RIP TC. Legend.

You’d have thought one of them would have mentioned it on Twitter. But no, all that JL has done is simply retweet what the club eventually put out and added a heart emoji. What’s a cock.

4 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

You’d have thought one of them would have mentioned it on Twitter. But no, all that JL has done is simply retweet what the club eventually put out and added a heart emoji. What’s a cock.

It was disappointing to see given the lovely and respectful comments from outside the club that our chairman and life long fan could only manage 1 emoji.

When i messaged my old Dad about the news this morning he replied "i hope someone from the club attends his funeral' such is his lack of faith in modern football ownership.

34 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Out of likes I’m afraid. 

Watching those highlights now…. That’s how I want Bristol City to play. Always positive. Always looking to attack and yet we were well drilled with good leaders on the pitch.  
Why countless managers have found it so hard to get that balance is beyond me…. For me only GJ (early on) and Cotts got close to it. 
I know the game is quicker now, more technical… but if you happen to be reading Nige… that’s how Bristol City should play! (IMHO).  

I've said it earlier but massive thanks Terry. Let’s also mention Clive Middlemas, Alex Lockhart, all the kids chucked in at the deep end and all the veterans and players plucked from nowhere…. Someone had an eye for a player and a bargain in those days!!  Great days and TC was the reason for it. 

I was just thinking the same. Some goal that third one was mind: great sweeping pass from left to right wing by Walsh to Pritchard; then the opposite by Pritchard to Neville on the left wing; cross by Neville and Riley does the rest. TC rebuilt that team and club from nothing; no wonder he was so proud. 

I’m interested to know how we think the club, or us as a fanbase can pay tribute to the man on Saturday? I’m thinking perhaps they could get as many of the 1986 Wembley team back together as possible, or something like what was done for Gerry Gow a few years ago?

In his interview on the Wembley turf after the 1986 final, he went on to say:

”…I know the financial situation, I’m not going to be the manager to put them back into bankruptcy. What I would like to do, with the boards approval is to try ‘n get us our own training premises because thats a tremendous asset. I’m thinking while I want success now I’m thinking that in fifty years when we’re all gone, Bristol City is still playing at Ashton Gate, I think thats very important. You know especially when theres thirty thousand come here, I mean if we get to the FA Cup we’ll take it all.”

8 minutes ago, Der no.2 said:

In his interview on the Wembley turf after the 1986 final, he went on to say:

”…I know the financial situation, I’m not going to be the manager to put them back into bankruptcy. What I would like to do, with the boards approval is to try ‘n get us our own training premises because thats a tremendous asset. I’m thinking while I want success now I’m thinking that in fifty years when we’re all gone, Bristol City is still playing at Ashton Gate, I think thats very important. 

Maybe this quote should be written in very large letters above a bronze bust of TC right outside the Training Ground's front door.

I remember being an 8/9 year old watching Taunton Town and Terry was there behind the goal - scouting I guess - but a lot of people chatting to him which he seemed to love or at least take in his stride very politely! 
I plucked up the courage to go and talk to him and he was just the nicest most loveliest bloke ever. Had such a warm aura about him and made me feel at ease just chatting away about City and what players I liked etc. Just a lovely lovely bloke.  I didn’t truly experience what he did for us like a lot of you as was a little too young, but all City fans are or should be aware of what he did for our club and he should be remembered properly.  Like others have said it’s sad that his beyond massive contribution to our club hasn’t been recognised much in the media coverage but we all know and that’s what really really matters. Bless you TC. 

58 minutes ago, eardun said:

I was just thinking the same. Some goal that third one was mind: great sweeping pass from left to right wing by Walsh to Pritchard; then the opposite by Pritchard to Neville on the left wing; cross by Neville and Riley does the rest. TC rebuilt that team and club from nothing; no wonder he was so proud. 

Out of likes unfortunately!

Yeah, loved that cross field pass. We played great football. I miss proper wingers. As a kid Howard Pritchard was my favourite player! 

I only heard this news a little while ago. 

I came to Bristol after the Division 1 days and only started watching City regularly in the 1984/5 season. That and the next season or two got me hooked as a City fan, and the entertainment on the pitch was a big part of that. I always turned up at Ashton Gate anticipating end to end football. A 3-2 result, either way, was never a surprise.

Not having been a City fan in 1982 I didn’t fully appreciate at the time how much Terry Cooper was doing for the club off the field, but I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed watching football more than in those first couple of seasons - and that was down to Terry Cooper’s approach to games. 

Steve Neville taking what seemed like an eternity to slot the ball past the Hereford keeper at the end of extra time to get us to Wembley in 1986 is still one of the top two or three moments in my 50+ years of going to games.

RIP TC, and thanks for turning me into a City fan.

14 minutes ago, lager loud said:

I only heard this news a little while ago. 

I came to Bristol after the Division 1 days and only started watching City regularly in the 1984/5 season. That and the next season or two got me hooked as a City fan, and the entertainment on the pitch was a big part of that. I always turned up at Ashton Gate anticipating end to end football. A 3-2 result, either way, was never a surprise.

Not having been a City fan in 1982 I didn’t fully appreciate at the time how much Terry Cooper was doing for the club off the field, but I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed watching football more than in those first couple of seasons - and that was down to Terry Cooper’s approach to games. 

Steve Neville taking what seemed like an eternity to slot the ball past the Hereford keeper at the end of extra time to get us to Wembley in 1986 is still one of the top two or three moments in my 50+ years of going to games.

RIP TC, and thanks for turning me into a City fan.

I can confirm Steve Neville took 5.5 minutes teeing up that shot. I was really worried (Screaming "Shoot!") which would win the race, the shot or the final whistle.

I first watched City in the mid sixties, with perfect timing, girls, music and motorbikes took over from football, so I missed out on the top flight period.

That Semi Final made it impossible for me to miss another home match for well over 20 years, including friendlies, testimonials etc.

In all those years there hasn't been a time when I have enjoyed watching or felt more connected to the club than the T.C. era.

He brought some great players on a budget aswell mainly free transfers, he never spent over about £60k from what I recall. The likes of Alan Crawford, Bobby Hutchinson, Howard Pritchard, Glynn Riley, Keith Curle, Moyesy, John Mcphail, Kenny Stroud, Big Tom, Steve Neville and Alan Walsh for £18k bloody hell we pulled their pants down on that one. He was a miracle worker. We played some great stuff back then. I loved 442 with great wingers either side and Glynn banging them in. I met him several times as a kid and you couldn't meet a nicer bloke who had time for everyone. He invited my late grandad into his office once when we signed Graham Withey. My grandad wasn't impressed, TC spent an hour why he signed him and what he wanted to do going forward, could you imagine a manager doing that these days especially one who played for England in a world Cup and one of the most successful teams in the first division. I can remember games from over 30 years ago than some of the dross we've played over the last few years. RIP Terry you will forever be in our hearts. "Terry Coopers red and white army".

5 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

He brought some great players on a budget aswell mainly free transfers, he never spent over about £60k from what I recall. The likes of Alan Crawford, Bobby Hutchinson, Howard Pritchard, Glynn Riley, Keith Curle, Moyesy, John Mcphail, Kenny Stroud, Big Tom, Steve Neville and Alan Walsh for £18k bloody hell we pulled their pants down on that one. He was a miracle worker. We played some great stuff back then. I loved 442 with great wingers either side and Glynn banging them in. I met him several times as a kid and you couldn't meet a nicer bloke who had time for everyone. He invited my late grandad into his office once when we signed Graham Withey. My grandad wasn't impressed, TC spent an hour why he signed him and what he wanted to do going forward, could you imagine a manager doing that these days especially one who played for England in a world Cup and one of the most successful teams in the first division. I can remember games from over 30 years ago than some of the dross we've played over the last few years. RIP Terry you will forever be in our hearts. "Terry Coopers red and white army".

True, he spent a total of £60k cash on the Wembley squad including the subs. (There were some player exchanges involved.)

As I remember it was £18k on Alan Walsh alone, the only player he spent any real money (for our position) on. The rest he mainly stole at Tribunals if they weren't free.

I'm with you on the memories. It's been a very long time since we were 2-0 down at half time and I would feel we had been unlucky and still confident of winning the match.

1 hour ago, MJP3 said:

True, he spent a total of £60k cash on the Wembley squad including the subs. (There were some player exchanges involved.)

As I remember it was £18k on Alan Walsh alone, the only player he spent any real money (for our position) on. The rest he mainly stole at Tribunals if they weren't free.

I'm with you on the memories. It's been a very long time since we were 2-0 down at half time and I would feel we had been unlucky and still confident of winning the match.

I heard a story that he wanted to sign Keith Bertschin for £50k to get us over the line. The board wouldn't back him, I asked Les Kew about it years later and he said it was a lot of money at the time, we were over cautious at the time because of 1982 but in all fairness he was never backed on the transfer front. It was only when Big Joe came in that we started to spend some money. A few years later Dennis Smith got some young kid from Arsenal for £500k, I was amazed. Terry didn't have chance to do that but he built the foundations so we could do so.

What a great man he was. as a player, manager, and a hero who saved our club.  If only football was full of men like him. RIP Terry, we all agree a total legend for this club, and we don't have many. Our thoughts are all with his family and friends, thankyou for sharing part of his life with us. Thankyou for all of the memories Terry.

What a sad day indeed. Those of us lucky enough to have witnessed his time here, the turnaround, the spirit and sheer roll your sleeves up and muck in attitude will never forget it. What a special time. How many managers, having had such a distinguished playing career, would get as choked up as he did when we won at Wembley for the first time, it really meant everything to him, and he meant everything to us. RIP Terry and thanks for the memories. 

Archived