IGNORED

Very Sad News, RIP Terry Cooper

1960maaan

It’s actually shocked me how devastated and emotional I’ve been this weekend after learning of the passing of Terry Cooper - it’s really made me realise the huge impact he had on my life - Bristol City has always been my club and in our darkest times TC picked us up and refused to let us die - he gave me Glyn Riley, Alan Walsh, Howard Pritchard (2nd spell), Steve Neville, Kenny Stroud, Bobby Hutchinson, David Harle, David Moyes etc etc etc - and looking back now, TC gave me some of the best moments of my life.

I was lucky enough to see our club perform in the top tier of English football but, as much as I enjoyed those times immensely, the TC years were just amazing, just fantastic ... Terry Cooper constantly proved how much he loved our club in very humble, understated ways - he worked so very hard to help Bristol City recover and move up and ultimately thrive ... no other manager in our history can be compared to Terry Cooper because he did so much more than just manage the club ... Terry Cooper is a Bristol City legend ... and I’m just devastated that he’s gone ...

59 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sam Frost , Bristol Rovers reporter. In his first article TC was the only one to manage both clubs, in a second amended article he was the first. Please do some research on Fred Ford. Shameful reporting.

“Only one” - John Ward?! - It is not difficult to be a journalist these days - Google?! 

Was out with a Gas mate tonight and we were discussing Terrys passing. I asked him to close his eyes and envisage his ultimate rovers experience. I won't bore you with his answer,  but mine has always been 86. When I close my eyes and think of Bristol City its Terry Cooper in charge, Waugh,Newman,Moyes, Curle, Williams, Walsh, Hutchinson,Harle, Pritchard, Neville,Riley. 

That's my team, we've had better since but that side played with a swagger that was all about the manager. Most of my favorite players were from that era.  Genuinely gutted by his passing. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s actually shocked me how devastated and emotional I’ve been this weekend after learning of the passing of Terry Cooper - it’s really made me realise the huge impact he had on my life - Bristol City has always been my club and in our darkest times TC picked us up and refused to let us die - he gave me Glyn Riley, Alan Walsh, Howard Pritchard (2nd spell), Steve Neville, Kenny Stroud, Bobby Hutchinson, David Harle, David Moyes etc etc etc - and looking back now, TC gave me some of the best moments of my life.

I was lucky enough to see our club perform in the top tier of English football but, as much as I enjoyed those times immensely, the TC years were just amazing, just fantastic ... Terry Cooper constantly proved how much he loved our club in very humble, understated ways - he worked so very hard to help Bristol City recover and move up and ultimately thrive ... no other manager in our history can be compared to Terry Cooper because he did so much more than just manage the club ... Terry Cooper is a Bristol City legend ... and I’m just devastated that he’s gone ...

Thank you @BS4 on Tour....

You have summed it up perfectly and it is really very difficult for many to believe. We had four years with the Man U's, Liverpool's, Arsenal's which were beyond our wildest dreams. 

But to those who stuck it out a couple of years later at the bottom of Division Four, Terry Cooper kept our dreams alive even if it was Rochdale, with no disrespect to them, in place of Everton.

Many supporters of other clubs will never understand how he managed it. But with my Seventy £1 shares, Terry Cooper managed my club superbly. I'm not ungrateful to Steve Lansdown for his enormous investment but then it was my club and Terry Cooper, IMO, is the greatest manager we have had in my lifetime. Not for the the league position but for the enjoyment that his teams gave us with minimal resources.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Sam Frost , Bristol Rovers reporter. In his first article TC was the only one to manage both clubs, in a second amended article he was the first. Please do some research on Fred Ford. Shameful reporting.

To play for and manage both clubs maybe?

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thank you @BS4 on Tour....

You have summed it up perfectly and it is really very difficult for many to believe. We had four years with the Man U's, Liverpool's, Arsenal's which were beyond our wildest dreams. 

But to those who stuck it out a couple of years later at the bottom of Division Four, Terry Cooper kept our dreams alive even if it was Rochdale, with no disrespect to them, in place of Everton.

Many supporters of other clubs will never understand how he managed it. But with my Seventy £1 shares, Terry Cooper managed my club superbly. I'm not ungrateful to Steve Lansdown for his enormous investment but then it was my club and Terry Cooper, IMO, is the greatest manager we have had in my lifetime. Not for the the league position but for the enjoyment that his teams gave us with minimal resources.

Fantastic and beautiful words ... it’s very obvious that the fans who were around just after the dark despair of 1982 have a special perspective on our club. We never gave up but we really feared for the future of our club ... but when TC came in and gave us hope we got behind our boys like never before - I’ve said it before and I still stand by it - we had relatively small crowds back then but we got behind the boys like I’ve not seen since - there was none of the dull, monotone, ubiquitous euro shite murmurings that we seem to get now and claim it as an ‘atmosphere’ - the small numbers back then made way more noise than we hear today - it was rabid - we got behind our chaps from minute one and we gave it everything, because we knew they’d give it everything too - every single time, those guys were unique, they earned naff all but they gave every ounce for Bristol City because Terry Cooper asked them to ....

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fantastic and beautiful words ... it’s very obvious that the fans who were around just after the dark despair of 1982 have a special perspective on our club. We never gave up but we really feared for the future of our club ... but when TC came in and gave us hope we got behind our boys like never before - I’ve said it before and I still stand by it - we had relatively small crowds back then but we got behind the boys like I’ve not seen since - there was none of the dull, monotone, ubiquitous euro shite murmurings that we seem to get now and claim it as an ‘atmosphere’ - the small numbers back then made way more noise than we hear today - it was rabid - we got behind our chaps from minute one and we gave it everything, because we knew they’d give it everything too - every single time, those guys were unique, they earned naff all but they gave every ounce for Bristol City because Terry Cooper asked them to ....

You absolutely nailed it, we were as one back then and TC was the glue that stuck it all together.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Beautifully put mate.

I was trying to describe the impact that TC had on me as a rookie City fan to my sons over the weekend as they weren't so aware of him and his legacy.  That first promotion out of the 4th Division, the Freight Rover games, that Team.  They were happy times after the dark days (which I hadn't experienced so deeply because I started my City journey just after TC took over), ones that I hold with the same level of affection as the Littlewoods cup run of 89-90, Hartlepool in the play offs and Man Utd at home.

I will educate them further this Saturday on the train on the way to the Gate because this is the history that they need to know about...

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Fred Ford was assistant to Bert Tann at Rovers so doesn't qualify as managing both clubs.

I think that Points West got it right. TC played for both and managed both. The only one to do this.

The younger fans have no idea what this man did for our club summed up perfectly by one person saying why would we name a stand after him as he only played 70 times for us. You almost feels these people should learn about our history.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Fred Ford was assistant to Bert Tann at Rovers so doesn't qualify as managing both clubs.

I think that Points West got it right. TC played for both and managed both. The only one to do this.

He was assistant at Rovers to Bert Tann but left them to manage us. When he left us he went to Rovers as manager 1968- 69.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

He was assistant at Rovers to Bert Tann but left them to manage us. When he left us he went to Rovers as manager 1968- 69.

@Ronnie

I forgot that last bit. I must be getting really senile as I normally remember everything that happened 50 to 70 years ago but cannot remember things five minutes ago.

TC is the subject of the thread but spent a few train journeys  going to/from away games sat with Fred Ford and enjoying his football knowledge.

For those too young to remember, Terry Cooper took our club from its lowest ever point, rebuilt it with kids and pennies, got it promoted from the fourth tier and to two Wembley finals.

A tragic, tragic loss of a true giant of our club. The term "Legend" is over-used, but it applies to him.

Absolutely devastated. #RIP

RIP Terry. From someone who attended your soccer schools during the summer holidays and was a mascot during your tenure at the gate. Thank you for all your hard work for our club and rebuilding from the disaster that was 1982. You were a gentleman and will always live on in my heart.

I’ve been a blubbering wreck reading this thread and watching the old videos again.  The stories from around that time have always got to me a bit when they have come up on threads, and I really appreciate posters sharing their memories.  Keep doing so please. It’s an amazing tribute.

My first game was in 86 so although too young to remember TC directly, it is thanks to him, and others like him from those times, that I even had a first game to go to, or even have this club to support at all. 

There have been amazing highs, lows (and lowers) since, but I’m always immensely thankful that I’m a City fan.  It’s great that I’ve been able to introduce City to the next generation in our family and have that interest and emotional connection in common with them and you all.

TC, you made that possible.  It is your style of play that is the default of how I want a City team to play - wingers and definitely no hoofing it here!  You have massively influenced and impacted on lives for the better and I cannot thank you enough.

Rest in peace TC.

3 hours ago, sm2webb said:

I’ve been a blubbering wreck reading this thread and watching the old videos again.  The stories from around that time have always got to me a bit when they have come up on threads, and I really appreciate posters sharing their memories.  Keep doing so please. It’s an amazing tribute.

My first game was in 86 so although too young to remember TC directly, it is thanks to him, and others like him from those times, that I even had a first game to go to, or even have this club to support at all. 

There have been amazing highs, lows (and lowers) since, but I’m always immensely thankful that I’m a City fan.  It’s great that I’ve been able to introduce City to the next generation in our family and have that interest and emotional connection in common with them and you all.

TC, you made that possible.  It is your style of play that is the default of how I want a City team to play - wingers and definitely no hoofing it here!  You have massively influenced and impacted on lives for the better and I cannot thank you enough.

Rest in peace TC.

I thoroughly endorse the sentiments in this post. My own memory is of our time in Division 4, and of Cooper trying to pull the club back together in the seasons following the Ashton Gate Eight. I went to watch City play at Crewe Alexandra on a rainy night with a very young and rather inexperienced team. We were losing 4-1 with still half an hour to play. I don't know how old Cooper was at this time but he was a named substitute and somewhat portly. He put himself on the pitch, stabilised the defence and there were no further goals.  A true hero for the club.

A very sad day.

I can remember the dark days with a few thousand fans at the Gate, you had to shout if you wanted to  speak to the next fan!

Then along came Terry and he created a side that gave us some pride back and in my opinion the most important manager rebuilding club BCFC1982.  He will to be remembered with fondness, respect and gratitude.

When I  married in '86 my father in law (a gashead) arrange to get a letter from Terry and it was read out at the reception, he wrote how sensible to wait until the football season was over!  To round off our  honeymoon we drove up to Wembley - Ahh the Leyland Daf trophy triumph. I still have that letter and it is now even more precious.

Thank you Terry for what you did for this club.  

Condolences to  the family at this sad time.

2 hours ago, Zed@BCFC said:

A very sad day.

I can remember the dark days with a few thousand fans at the Gate, you had to shout if you wanted to  speak to the next fan!

Then along came Terry and he created a side that gave us some pride back and in my opinion the most important manager rebuilding club BCFC1982.  He will to be remembered with fondness, respect and gratitude.

When I  married in '86 my father in law (a gashead) arrange to get a letter from Terry and it was read out at the reception, he wrote how sensible to wait until the football season was over!  To round off our  honeymoon we drove up to Wembley - Ahh the Leyland Daf trophy triumph. I still have that letter and it is now even more precious.

Thank you Terry for what you did for this club.  

Condolences to  the family at this sad time.

Um, Freight Rover my friend ?

On 01/08/2021 at 22:39, glynriley said:

Was out with a Gas mate tonight and we were discussing Terrys passing. I asked him to close his eyes and envisage his ultimate rovers experience. I won't bore you with his answer,  but mine has always been 86. When I close my eyes and think of Bristol City its Terry Cooper in charge, Waugh,Newman,Moyes, Curle, Williams, Walsh, Hutchinson,Harle, Pritchard, Neville,Riley. 

That's my team, we've had better since but that side played with a swagger that was all about the manager. Most of my favorite players were from that era.  Genuinely gutted by his passing. 

Great, great days - in that glorious era I would also add players such as John Shaw, Andy Llewellyn, Gary Williams, Paul Stevens, Martyn Hirst, Russell Musker, Forbes Phillipson-Masters, Steve Johnson, Jon Economou, Bruce Halliday, Kenny Stroud etc - such brill memories mate - none were stars but all were heroes ... will never forget their contribution to our history ...

Archived