IGNORED

Team for Blackpool

Davefevs

15 hours ago, spudski said:

Fwiw...over pre season, regardless of personnel, it looks like we've concentrated on fitness and doing the basics right. Nothing more, nothing less.

We look ' generic and hard working'.

Negatives...still shit at defending set pieces and corners.

That's the condensed version.

Not overly excited about coming season.

Think we've become what I've always feared...a mid table team that goes through the basics, that doesn't stand out, bland, hard working, generic and forgettable.

Hope they prove me wrong.

Only thing that ' excites' me is hopefully seeing the Academy lads having a go.

Fingers crossed we play some exciting, attractive football that makes the effort of heating to the ground worth while.

I think it shows how bad things have got under the previous regime. The basics and hard working are the very least we should expect and that has been lacking if not non-existent for too long. NP has had to tear it up and start again and so we have to expect the first steps on the road back to being competitive are exactly the what you've described. If we get through this season and finish mid table and can see a semblance of progression then whilst I won't be doing cartwheels, I will feel much happier than the dirge that was served up last season.

17 hours ago, spudski said:

Fwiw...over pre season, regardless of personnel, it looks like we've concentrated on fitness and doing the basics right. Nothing more, nothing less.

We look ' generic and hard working'.

Negatives...still shit at defending set pieces and corners.

That's the condensed version.

Not overly excited about coming season.

Think we've become what I've always feared...a mid table team that goes through the basics, that doesn't stand out, bland, hard working, generic and forgettable.

Hope they prove me wrong.

Only thing that ' excites' me is hopefully seeing the Academy lads having a go.

Fingers crossed we play some exciting, attractive football that makes the effort of heating to the ground worth while.

In general, I do agree that we're likely to be a fairly unremarkable side this season.
As you say, I think we'll aim to get the basics right, work hard, be solid, and not a huge amount beyond that in terms of flair and creativity. 

It may be a little boring at times. However, if we're looking for drama, we seem most likely to find it in a relegation battle, so I'll accept 'dull midtable' this season!

Hopefully we can still find excitement in some elements of what we do:
- Might it be exciting to see us make Ashton Gate a difficult place for other teams to visit (finally)?
- To see a City side play with energy and intensity, show physical and mental resilience, and at least force a battle in games?
- To have a clear strategy/approach to games, as opposed to looking rather aimless?
- To see the development of younger players? (as you noted)

I appreciate that may only offer a few morsels of excitement, but if nothing else, perhaps we can find enjoyment in the fact that an unremarkable midtable season could be exactly what we need to set the foundations for future success

1 hour ago, tin said:

Beat me to it, although I'd probably go for Simpson ahead of Vyner at RB. 

It’ was a weakness last season that position and it hasn’t been addressed. I hope Simpson improves but he was the worst player on the pitch on Saturday.  Vyner had a shaky start but grew into the game and ended up playing really well - standing ovation when he got subbed. 

4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

It’ was a weakness last season that position and it hasn’t been addressed. I hope Simpson improves but he was the worst player on the pitch on Saturday.  Vyner had a shaky start but grew into the game and ended up playing really well - standing ovation when he got subbed. 

All summer I'd have started Simpson on opening day, but Vyner played some of the best football I can recall him playing protecting that right side against Villa. I'd give him the nod for Blackpool off that performance alone. 

52 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

In general, I do agree that we're likely to be a fairly unremarkable side this season.
As you say, I think we'll aim to get the basics right, work hard, be solid, and not a huge amount beyond that in terms of flair and creativity. 

It may be a little boring at times. However, if we're looking for drama, we seem most likely to find it in a relegation battle, so I'll accept 'dull midtable' this season!

Hopefully we can still find excitement in some elements of what we do:
- Might it be exciting to see us make Ashton Gate a difficult place for other teams to visit (finally)?
- To see a City side play with energy and intensity, show physical and mental resilience, and at least force a battle in games?
- To have a clear strategy/approach to games, as opposed to looking rather aimless?
- To see the development of younger players? (as you noted)

I appreciate that may only offer a few morsels of excitement, but if nothing else, perhaps we can find enjoyment in the fact that an unremarkable midtable season could be exactly what we need to set the foundations for future success

Well said

44 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

All summer I'd have started Simpson on opening day, but Vyner played some of the best football I can recall him playing protecting that right side against Villa. I'd give him the nod for Blackpool off that performance alone. 

Plus Simpson was absolutely woeful when he came on.

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Probably true but extremely uninspiring.

If I had a pound for every time someone at the club said similar words to building " foundations for future success" I could have retired in my 30's.

We  were promised European football within 5 years, that went well.

Jam today please.

On 01/08/2021 at 17:09, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good team Dave, I'd mostly agree with that- inclined for Kalas over say Baker but mostly agree.

Semenyo and though we don't fully know his status as far as first team goes, Cundy still injured or working their way back?

Did he not say on robins TV on villa game another 5 weeks. That's Semenyou

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

After listening to Sound of the City last night I think it is very likely that the side that will start on Saturday will be the one that did so against Villa.

I think there will be one, maybe two changes….can’t quite see him giving Blackpool the “heads-up” a week ahead of the season.

But as per my OP, I’ll have no qualms if that’s the starting eleven.  

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

After listening to Sound of the City last night I think it is very likely that the side that will start on Saturday will be the one that did so against Villa.

Still hopeful that Kalas comes in to partner Baker or Atkinson.

sorry if I've got this wrong, but is there a squad limit of 25 in place for this season in the Champ? If so, do we need to ship a few out, as I make it we have at least 28 first team players at present, or do a few of those not count to the 25 limit as U21? Bit confused!!

1 minute ago, DolmanGaz said:

sorry if I've got this wrong, but is there a squad limit of 25 in place for this season in the Champ? If so, do we need to ship a few out, as I make it we have at least 28 first team players at present, or do a few of those not count to the 25 limit as U21? Bit confused!!

U21s have to be registered, but do not count in the 25….unless they are loans in like Sessegnon.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That was recorded before the Villa game so possible a few tweaks could happen in light of that. 

Back 4 and GK appears nailed on based on his comments. Only real doubt is CM partner for James and striker. He made a point at looking at James & Nagy and we look better with Wells up front IMO.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

That was recorded before the Villa game so possible a few tweaks could happen in light of that. 

Back 4 and GK appears nailed on based on his comments. Only real doubt is CM partner for James and striker. He made a point at looking at James & Nagy and we look better with Wells up front IMO.

No argument from me, but it’s what Nige does, not me!

15 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't really see that as any better than last year's team tbh

I tend to agree, with the possible exception of Scott. We'll see about him.

It seems rather a lot of emphasis is being placed on our players being fitter and running around more. I don't doubt motivation and team spirit will be better than last season too.

But all that counts for very little at this level. The likes of Wycombe and Rotherham are well motivated, they run around and put the effort in, and look where that got them.

What they lack is quality - that's what you need at this level. 

Do we have enough of it or, rather, can Pearson find a system to maximise the quality we have?  

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I tend to agree, with the possible exception of Scott. We'll see about him.

It seems rather a lot of emphasis is being placed on our players being fitter and running around more. I don't doubt motivation and team spirit will be better than last season too.

But all that counts for very little at this level. The likes of Wycombe and Rotherham are well motivated, they run around and put the effort in, and look where that got them.

What they lack is quality - that's what you need at this level. 

Do we have enough of it or, rather, can Pearson find a system to maximise the quality we have?  

In terms of quality, I would say that the following are undoubted Championship quality players;

Bentley, Kalas, Baker, James, King, Nagy, Palmer, Weimann, Wells, Massengo.

A tad more than Wycombe or Rotherham would have.

Just my opinion.

I don't think we will see Nagy, Kalas or Williams start, I think NP feels they are a couple of weeks behind the rest of squad..

HNM and Semenyo are not fit yet

so I think he will go with

Bentley

Vyner.     Baker.   Atkinson.   Dasilva

James    King

Wiemann         Scott           O'Dowda

Martin   

O'Leary, Kalas, Simpson, Nagy, Bell, Palmer,  Wells

It won't happen, but I'd like to see a 4-3-1-2 at some point.

Bentley.

Vyner.     Atkinson.   Kalas.  Dasilva.

Massengo.  Williams. James.

Scott.

Weimann.   Wells. 

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

In terms of quality, I would say that the following are undoubted Championship quality players;

Bentley, Kalas, Baker, James, King, Nagy, Palmer, Weimann, Wells, Massengo.

A tad more than Wycombe or Rotherham would have.

Just my opinion.

Williams, Martin?

Bakinson and Semenyo show promise too, and high hopes for Atkinson. Vyner I think is competent, without being incredible. Certainly have him as my first choice at RB though, as it stands.

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

Which makes no sense as some were already over 21 years old at the end of last season??

0A45305E-729C-4A7C-9659-FBFB063F36D3.thumb.jpeg.13d190564518259feb9f6966fa231ef9.jpeg

This is from EFL rules…..so whilst I agree it makes little sense, ‘tis the rules….although the full wording explains it better.

Archived