IGNORED

Terry Cooper South stand petition

Hampshire reds

It's to our clubs shame that TC hasn't been honoured before his passing. Let's hope now in these ever increasing corporate times, that the club can find a fitting, long lasting tribute to the great man. 

My first game was under Terry. We were bottom of the old fourth division, home to Blackpool, nil all game, Tom Ritchie missed a penalty if memory serves. 

Next season was promotion, and we had our club back. Exciting times, entertaining football always at home, Pritchard, Walsh, Neville, Riley etc. Mostly invincible at the Gate.

R. I. P Terry Cooper. 

9 hours ago, pillred said:

One of his greatest wishes was that the club had it's own training facility, what better tribute than to name it after him. Sure as hell beats it's current name.

I think that’s a great idea.

The Terry Cooper High Performance Centre ?

Should it be renamed after the man who held us on his shoulders at our lowest - rebuilt it from the dregs, and gave us one our best days out back in 1986? - That's the question.

Arguably the one person who truly connected with fans, and club, on such a universal level in the last 40 years.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

One of his greatest wishes was that the club had it's own training facility, what better tribute than to name it after him. Sure as hell beats it's current name.

Totally agree.

is there a petition facility on here to allow us to show those from the club who view this forum the strength of feeling about a lasting memorial?

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I voted for naming the South Stand after Terry Cooper, however renaming the South Stand the "Bristol South End" in a nod to our origins and naming the training ground after TC is a very close 2nd for me.

I wonder whether Ownership has that level of interest in the history of the club? Maybe a discussion for another day in the circumstances of TC passing away.

While i agree he is deserving there’s also others from that period who are equally deserving without whom there would be no Bristol City as we know it today but obviously we can’t name a stand after all of them, maybe the solution is finally establish a museum and tell the story of that period properly and also properly recognise the contributions people made to finally do them justice 

One reason why it won’t happen is the Bristol Bears not having any recognition although I’ve never understood why they can’t just change the stands names when they’re playing there 

I prefer the training ground myself but not opposed to the SS. 

What I do like the idea of is giving it a year and checking outside of our immediate grief if we still feel the same. Naming a stand that's likely to be stood for at least the next 50 years isn't a decision that should be taken in a few days IMO, we do only have 4 names (1 remaining) that we can put on the stands and some might like to remember others that way.

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

I prefer the training ground myself but not opposed to the SS. 

What I do like the idea of is giving it a year and checking outside of our immediate grief if we still feel the same. Naming a stand that's likely to be stood for at least the next 50 years isn't a decision that should be taken in a few days IMO, we do only have 4 names (1 remaining) that we can put on the stands and some might like to remember others that way.

I think many OTIBers have talked about renaming the Stand in honour of TC for a while, not just because he has passed away….although this has re-triggered it.

Voted yes, something of this nature is overdue and it's slightly saddening that it would now be done posthumously.

I'd also be happy with The Dicks and Cooper End, something like that. AD also deserves more prominent recognition for his achievements at the club.

4 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Voted yes, something of this nature is overdue and it's slightly saddening that it would now be done posthumously.

I'd also be happy with The Dicks and Cooper End, something like that. AD also deserves more prominent recognition for his achievements at the club.

100%, absolutely incredible AD has received no recognition at all.

43 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

While i agree he is deserving there’s also others from that period who are equally deserving without whom there would be no Bristol City as we know it today but obviously we can’t name a stand after all of them, maybe the solution is finally establish a museum and tell the story of that period properly and also properly recognise the contributions people made to finally do them justice 

One reason why it won’t happen is the Bristol Bears not having any recognition although I’ve never understood why they can’t just change the stands names when they’re playing there 

This really sums it up. Without all the people who saved the club back in the dark days of 1982, City would have gone out of business and Bristol Rovers might now be playing at Ashton Gate. Unfortunately a lot of people who worked behind the scenes and / or put in money have been forgotten by a lot of people. TC played his part (an enormous part) when he arrived, but he was only one of several we have to thank. 

Then there is the issue of money. Perhaps SL is waiting for promotion then the stand can be sponsorship by a big company. 

35 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I like the idea of the Terry Cooper High Performance Centre, mainly because he expressed a wish for the squad to have their own place to train. ?

I voted to rename the SS but this would be a fitting tribute especially given TC's comments post Wembley 86.

'The Terry Cooper high performance Centre', I like that.

15 minutes ago, magunn said:

The Terry Cooper High Performance centre has a ring to it AND would have been endorsed by the man himself.

I agree. This centre represents the phase of preparing players to do the business on a Saturday afternoon. TC was this, not only in the footballing sense but also the many other tasks and actions that has already been mentioned far and above that expected of a manager, that turned this club around. The TCHPC would be in action for most days of the week, just like TC, not just once a week.

Tough call for me. I loved the man for being always willing to talk football with us supporters and giving me my biggest joy watching City beating Bolton at Wembley. But there are others deserving recognition, not the least Alan Dicks for leading us to the 1st Division and providing my second favourite moment winning at Arsenal. Consequently I've gone for the high performance centre but would not be upset if the South stand earned his accolade. But we have to do something about Alan Dicks too, and further down the line perhaps Steve Cotterill who after all gave us a double. 

Archived