IGNORED

Terry Cooper South stand petition

Hampshire reds

I know why some are suggesting the training ground, but not many fans go there and one of the things about TC was his connection to the fans. So I think it needs to be visible to the fans. The South Stand possibly, but I take the point that others have made that another manager Alan Dicks also made a significant contribution and he doesn’t have a stand named after him. Given TC’s connection with the fans, I wondered about renaming the Sports Bar the Terry Cooper Bar - that would be very visible including from outside the ground if the name also appeared above the screen at the corner of the South and Lansdown Stands. (A question of whether it would create confusion with the Coopers Arms in Ashton Road though). I do think the tribute needs to be at Ashton Gate though. 

Robins Hub on Twitter started this petition, I know they can be pointless and if Steve doesn't want it , it wont happen. But it would be nice to get a large enough number just to show what TC meant to the fanbase. Then, even if it's not the stand, there may be something to honour the great man.

There is a chance that the Lansdowns and the Club have something in place already, which would be great. But I thought I'd pass it on.

http://chng.it/Qc2LyzRhyB

Firstly I know that Ashton Gate has been the home of Bristol City since the union with Bedminster in 1894.

However, circumstances have changed since Steve Lansdown became the club's owner. He owns both City and Bristol Bears which means that both clubs are entitled to play there as "their home stadium". Neither are tenants.

The Bristol Rugby history is filled with a lot of great players, many of them internationals. Their big names probably outnumber City's.

The only solution, in my opinion, bearing the preceding in mind, is to name sections of stands, whole stands, concourses etc, differently for City and Bears. Permanent signing is outdated by modern technology, so its completely feasible.

I voted for Cooper's name to be used at the new training centre.

9 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I like the idea of the Terry Cooper High Performance Centre, mainly because he expressed a wish for the squad to have their own place to train. ?

Yeah listened to his Wembley 86 interview earlier and heard him say that, plus saying fifty years after we've gone was poignant too, as for naming a stand etc, I think the club will do something but I don;t reckon it would be a stand or HP Centre more like a mural / picture in the concourse etc ...

8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Tough call for me. I loved the man for being always willing to talk football with us supporters and giving me my biggest joy watching City beating Bolton at Wembley. But there are others deserving recognition, not the least Alan Dicks for leading us to the 1st Division and providing my second favourite moment winning at Arsenal. Consequently I've gone for the high performance centre but would not be upset if the South stand earned his accolade. But we have to do something about Alan Dicks too, and further down the line perhaps Steve Cotterill who after all gave us a double. 

To me it’s completely different to Alan dicks or cotts. It’s not just about Terry Cooper the manager but the man & more importantly the circumstances. The club was in a fantastic financial state for cotts . Did either of them sell tickets or drive the length of the country to physically move a player.

No offence but I think you’ve completely missed the point . 

I really think that TCs name should be recognised somewhere. I think the training centre is a great idea. Not so sure about the South Stand. As others have said, we share the ground with the rugby club and they only have the Lansdown Stand that would mean anything to them. Maybe it would be better if the South Stand was relevant to them also. 

3 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

I really think that TCs name should be recognised somewhere. I think the training centre is a great idea. Not so sure about the South Stand. As others have said, we share the ground with the rugby club and they only have the Lansdown Stand that would mean anything to them. Maybe it would be better if the South Stand was relevant to them also. 

Shouldn’t matter that the rugby plays at Ashton gate it’s always been the home of city and should represent the football club over anything else , it’s bad enough just having Bristol on the dolman after they took city off

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Robins Hub on Twitter started this petition, I know they can be pointless and if Steve doesn't want it , it wont happen. But it would be nice to get a large enough number just to show what TC meant to the fanbase. Then, even if it's not the stand, there may be something to honour the great man.

There is a chance that the Lansdowns and the Club have something in place already, which would be great. But I thought I'd pass it on.

http://chng.it/Qc2LyzRhyB

Signed.

like you say , probably pointless but at least they’ll know the depth of feeling 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Firstly I know that Ashton Gate has been the home of Bristol City since the union with Bedminster in 1894.

However, circumstances have changed since Steve Lansdown became the club's owner. He owns both City and Bristol Bears which means that both clubs are entitled to play there as "their home stadium". Neither are tenants.

The Bristol Rugby history is filled with a lot of great players, many of them internationals. Their big names probably outnumber City's.

The only solution, in my opinion, bearing the preceding in mind, is to name sections of stands, whole stands, concourses etc, differently for City and Bears. Permanent signing is outdated by modern technology, so its completely feasible.

I voted for Cooper's name to be used at the new training centre.

Well BCFC are paying rent to Lansdown to play at AG.

Pedantic I know, but surely that's the definition of a tenant?

Sorry, the problem with naming things after dead people is that it is inevitably fuelled by emotion and fluctuating, subjective opinion…whipped to a frenzy on social media..

best have a wall of remembrance or other single point where all those who have contributed significantly are memorialised. Recognising the club is a continuing entity that has been formed and influenced by those listed.

As for TC..generally recognised as a Leeds great, did a good job here, but as others have said, nothing spectacular and certainly not over a particularly long period of time. We have four stands, two have been named after those who paid for their construction (fair play). Are the other two going to be “flavour of the month” which will cause issues too. Stay with points of the compass or road names, traditional and functional

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Does it need a ‘petition’? That implies there’s some sort of resistance from the club about it.

Perhaps the club are open to it? Isn’t it better to wait to see what they think first?

It's a convenient way of gauging weight of opinion.

If it was left to the forum, we'd ge naming the South Stand the 'LJ Out Stand' or the 'Why didn't he start JET' Stand.

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Does it need a ‘petition’? That implies there’s some sort of resistance from the club about it.

Perhaps the club are open to it? Isn’t it better to wait to see what they think first?

To be fair . There’s been numerous threads about Terry on here for years . Plus myself & plenty of others have messaged the Lansdown’s in respect of doing something before it’s too late. It’s fallen on deaf ears

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To be fair . There’s been numerous threads about Terry on here for years . Plus myself & plenty of others have messaged the Lansdown’s in respect of doing something before it’s too late. It’s fallen on deaf ears

You make the crucial point. The outpouring of emotion triggered by TC’s death is not new. Fans have been making their huge appreciation of the man very clear for a long time. It has been ignored.

The standard press release - “the club is saddened to hear”, etc. etc. - is totally inadequate in this unique case. He was a very special guy, who played a role like no other in the history of BCFC.

That is why we’re seeing a reaction like nothing we’ve ever witnessed before and are not likely to see again. The launch of a petition ought not to have been necessary, but it is appropriate. If the club still don’t get it, we must make them listen.

I will be signing, and would urge others to do the same.

Personally, if renaming a stand isn't an option then I think a fitting memorial at the present time would be for one of the murals to go into the concourse somewhere, it would be large and maybe also explain his significance to the club rather than him just becoming a name of a stand without context. Preferably it would cover up the one that commemorates us beating Man Utd in a League Cup Quarter Final which seems just a little bit tinpot to me.

4 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

You make the crucial point. The outpouring of emotion triggered by TC’s death is not new. Fans have been making their huge appreciation of the man very clear for a long time. It has been ignored.

The standard press release - “the club is saddened to hear”, etc. etc. - is totally inadequate in this unique case. He was a very special guy, who played a role like no other in the history of BCFC.

That is why we’re seeing a reaction like nothing we’ve ever witnessed before and are not likely to see again. The launch of a petition ought not to have been necessary, but it is appropriate. If the club still don’t get it, we must make them listen.

I will be signing, and would urge others to do the same.

I've signed, the emotion his death has generated in me has taken me by surprise. 

The great work him and CM put in, from where we were, can not be forgotten whilst its not been a linear upward trajectory since, he is a part of our history where he dragged us back from near oblivion, both playing and financial. 

I was 11 years old and ******* plastics gloating about a report showing City 6th in 1st Division and less than 4 years later 92nd.  The embarrassment and anger I felt towards them and City for me to listen to these p**cks, to be below R*vers was unbearable but I was resigned to it, it had been downhill for so long.

He gave us our pride back and the hope that 1 day we will return.

The thing with contact through social media is that it gets lost among all the, manager out/sign someone/sell someone /spend something Tweets and messages. I don't blame any of the Lansdowns etc ignoring Twitter etc. They, and the board/Club may not realise just what sort of position TC held in the hearts of supporters. TBF it was before they even watched City . 
It may just show the extent of feeling fans have, and that's not to say the board aren't discussing something, but it feels like we as fans should just give them a nudge.

5 hours ago, adamski said:

Sorry, the problem with naming things after dead people is that it is inevitably fuelled by emotion and fluctuating, subjective opinion…whipped to a frenzy on social media..

best have a wall of remembrance or other single point where all those who have contributed significantly are memorialised. Recognising the club is a continuing entity that has been formed and influenced by those listed.

As for TC..generally recognised as a Leeds great, did a good job here, but as others have said, nothing spectacular and certainly not over a particularly long period of time. We have four stands, two have been named after those who paid for their construction (fair play). Are the other two going to be “flavour of the month” which will cause issues too. Stay with points of the compass or road names, traditional and functional

I find it very sad that people don't understand the significance of the role Terry Cooper played in the rebuilding of Bristol City football club, if naming a stand after him makes people do a little research they might appreciate that the role he played was indeed spectacular. He played for us for four seasons two of them as player-manager. He managed us for six, and was also a director, but he was so much more than that. Watch the video and you will see that although he'd played for Leeds and England his achievements at Bristol City were hugely important, to both him and us, in the circumstances. I was at  Elm Park when he entered the terraces to single-handedly calm a very angry mob. He loved the city and the fans were so important to him. Just take three and a half minutes and have a watch.

Archived