IGNORED

Terry Cooper South stand petition

Hampshire reds

5 hours ago, adamski said:

Sorry, the problem with naming things after dead people is that it is inevitably fuelled by emotion and fluctuating, subjective opinion…whipped to a frenzy on social media..

best have a wall of remembrance or other single point where all those who have contributed significantly are memorialised. Recognising the club is a continuing entity that has been formed and influenced by those listed.

As for TC..generally recognised as a Leeds great, did a good job here, but as others have said, nothing spectacular and certainly not over a particularly long period of time. We have four stands, two have been named after those who paid for their construction (fair play). Are the other two going to be “flavour of the month” which will cause issues too. Stay with points of the compass or road names, traditional and functional

People have been calling for more recognition from the club for Terry Cooper for ages, it’s not just fuelled by social media following his passing. 

I wasn’t around the club at the time that he was here, but it is generally considered that he played a massive role in the resurrection of the club, not just from the perspective of a manager or player, but as a driving force in pushing Bristol City forward from the depths of near bankruptcy and disillusionment. 

5 hours ago, adamski said:

Sorry, the problem with naming things after dead people is that it is inevitably fuelled by emotion and fluctuating, subjective opinion…whipped to a frenzy on social media..

best have a wall of remembrance or other single point where all those who have contributed significantly are memorialised. Recognising the club is a continuing entity that has been formed and influenced by those listed.

As for TC..generally recognised as a Leeds great, did a good job here, but as others have said, nothing spectacular and certainly not over a particularly long period of time. We have four stands, two have been named after those who paid for their construction (fair play). Are the other two going to be “flavour of the month” which will cause issues too. Stay with points of the compass or road names, traditional and functional

I think, with all due respect, you’re missing the point.

It isn’t necessarily about TC and his promotions or achievements on paper. It’s about what he represents and symbolises to a lot of people.

We’re talking a period where this club was on its knees. Where we were playing people who ran guest houses in Swindon as we didn’t pay them enough to make a living. Where the manager had to drive a van to Darlington to move his star signing. Where it was kids playing - whether good enough or not. And TC oversaw all of that - he didn’t need to necessarily but he did, and he certainly didn’t need to sell tickets and paint the stand.

Then, we get through that, and he gives us one of our greatest days at Wembley. And it meant as much to him as it did to us.

It isn’t calling it the Terry Cooper stand  just for him. It’s calling it that so we can all be reminded of a time when we had our backs to the wall, supported Bristol City now…or never, and came out of it with a club to be proud of.

Thats why.

42 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It isn’t calling it the Terry Cooper stand  just for him. It’s calling it that so we can all be reminded of a time when we had our backs to the wall, supported Bristol City now…or never, and came out of it with a club to be proud of.

Thats why.

This is why I think one of the large murals inside the ground dedicated to him may be better, it would give a way of expressing this and give people a better chance of understanding rather than it becoming the name of a stand without anything else to give it context.

10 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

This is why I think one of the large murals inside the ground dedicated to him may be better, it would give a way of expressing this and give people a better chance of understanding rather than it becoming the name of a stand without anything else to give it context.

He can have both!

The stand or HPC is more of a recognition from board level, while the mural is extra for the fans and those who don’t know much about him

• Admin
10 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

..... at least they’ll know the depth of feeling 

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It's a convenient way of gauging weight of opinion.

Only 171 currently signed, sadly doesn't look like this has the legs to take it forward

7 hours ago, adamski said:

There's some truth in your first paragraph, particularly in the immediate aftermath of a death. (Although tbf there have been plenty calling for some sort of recognition for a long time now).

But as for your third paragraph: "good job....nothing spectacular" - I would hazard a guess that you weren't around in the 1980s?

(FWIW, I'm not convinced that the stand is the right way to do it)

I am all for the stand being renamed but after reading the many comments on it, i think the HPC would actually be a better fit.

They need to do something though, really hope the club get this one right, it's clearly an emotive subject.

Maybe the South Stand could be renamed the Legends Stand. We could then do stuff in the concourse for all the individuals: eg TC, Billy Wedlock, the AG 8, etc etc.

Personally, if we need the space, I would like to see the stuff about the cup win at Anfield go - it's been thirty years now and time to move on...

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think, with all due respect, you’re missing the point.

It isn’t necessarily about TC and his promotions or achievements on paper. It’s about what he represents and symbolises to a lot of people.

We’re talking a period where this club was on its knees. Where we were playing people who ran guest houses in Swindon as we didn’t pay them enough to make a living. Where the manager had to drive a van to Darlington to move his star signing. Where it was kids playing - whether good enough or not. And TC oversaw all of that - he didn’t need to necessarily but he did, and he certainly didn’t need to sell tickets and paint the stand.

Then, we get through that, and he gives us one of our greatest days at Wembley. And it meant as much to him as it did to us.

Thats why.

I understand where you are coming from and remember that period well. However, I would suggest that other managers will have done similar things in the past…. Many have achieved more….subjective and emotional decisions are a dangerous thing, straight after a death, more so. 

This is the problem with singling out just a few or indeed naming specific things, a hierarchy of contribution, is that a positive thing ? Fine for debate on sites like this, but to be formally adopted by the club…what would be the Benefit?  

16 minutes ago, italian dave said:

There's some truth in your first paragraph, particularly in the immediate aftermath of a death. (Although tbf there have been plenty calling for some sort of recognition for a long time now).

But as for your third paragraph: "good job....nothing spectacular" - I would hazard a guess that you weren't around in the 1980s?

(FWIW, I'm not convinced that the stand is the right way to do it)

I was, season ticket holder since 74…seen the highs, lows and nondescript since 65 (not that I remember that much attending with my Gramps at 4 years old)

in terms of achievement, I maintain my stance…nothing against TC, great chap…but the stats say it all…

14 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Maybe the South Stand could be renamed the Legends Stand. We could then do stuff in the concourse for all the individuals: eg TC, Billy Wedlock, the AG 8, etc etc.

Personally, if we need the space, I would like to see the stuff about the cup win at Anfield go - it's been thirty years now and time to move on...

Great idea

5 minutes ago, adamski said:

I was, season ticket holder since 74…seen the highs, lows and nondescript since 65 (not that I remember that much attending with my Gramps at 4 years old)

in terms of achievement, I maintain my stance…nothing against TC, great chap…but the stats say it all…

This isn't knee jerk reaction though, people have been calling for him to be recognised for years.

I don't think the stats say it all, they give us only a tiny percentage of the story.

For the record, as one who’s been fairly involved in this topic, I actually don’t mind what form the tribute takes, as long as there is one - and it’s proportionate to the magnitude of the man’s contribution, which in this case, and notwithstanding claims to the contrary, was massive.

Viewed in their proper historic context, his achievements are unsurpassed. His playing record is irrelevant here.  It’s worth reminding ourselves that a measure of a person’s worth takes full account, not just of where they got to, but also, crucially, where they had to start from. (Boris Johnson, with every conceivable privilege and advantage at his disposal, becomes PM. That’s one thing. When some bloke does it who started his working life down the pit, it’s quite another.)

That TC even got a full team out on the park was in itself a minor bloody miracle, never mind winning anything. The argument that his track record is unremarkable is totally lacking in perspective and misses the point completely.

8 hours ago, adamski said:

As for TC..generally recognised as a Leeds great, did a good job here, but as others have said, nothing spectacular and certainly not over a particularly long period of time

I couldn't disagree more. What he achieved in his time here was in fact nothing short of spectacular. 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Was it not called crackers corner many years ago 

It was the corner between the open end and what is now the Dolman. Apparently, it got its name because the groups that gathered there used to continually shout stupid things to the players, who decided that they must all be crackers. 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It was the corner between the open end and what is now the Dolman. Apparently, it got its name because the groups that gathered there used to continually shout stupid things to the players, who decided that they must all be crackers. 

I remember it well from the 70,s 

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Sounds good. A statue of the great man not only as a City player but a  great gent remembered by all including family, friends, city supporters, football supporters  that will visit BS3  going forward over many years and Leeds fans as well.

1 hour ago, adamski said:

Fair enough: pretty much same as me! Watching since '65 (although I was 9, so remember a bit more).

I have very different memories of TC than you do though. And it's absolutely nothing to do with stats!

It was about being at rock bottom and getting our pride back. It was doing it with (attacking) style. It was about someone who'd write hand written personal replies to a fan who wrote to him. It was about enjoying going to football, more than I've ever done since - despite the 'stats' that show we've had more success since. 

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

For the record, as one who’s been fairly involved in this topic, I actually don’t mind what form the tribute takes, as long as there is one - and it’s proportionate to the magnitude of the man’s contribution, which in this case, and notwithstanding claims to the contrary, was massive.

Viewed in their proper historic context, his achievements are unsurpassed. His playing record is irrelevant here.  It’s worth reminding ourselves that a measure of a person’s worth takes full account, not just of where they got to, but also, crucially, where they had to start from. (Boris Johnson, with every conceivable privilege and advantage at his disposal, becomes PM. That’s one thing. When some bloke does it who started his working life down the pit, it’s quite another.)

That TC even got a full team out on the park was in itself a minor bloody miracle, never mind winning anything. The argument that his track record is unremarkable is totally lacking in perspective and misses the point completely.

Unfortunately the Lansdownes are pretty much disconnected with the history of Bristol City FC. 
Remember there baby is Bristol Sport FFS.

Pitiful response to TC’s passing from the “club” IMO.

15 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

To me it’s completely different to Alan dicks or cotts. It’s not just about Terry Cooper the manager but the man & more importantly the circumstances. The club was in a fantastic financial state for cotts . Did either of them sell tickets or drive the length of the country to physically move a player.

No offence but I think you’ve completely missed the point . 

I have no problem with lauding the character or commitment of TC, I've already stated he was one of the nicest men it was my privilege to meet, but I think you're underselling the value of Alan Dicks. We were a bang average 2nd division side before his arrival but with patience and with very little outlay he transformed us into an exciting side that saw us win promotion to the top flight and give us a thrilling ride for 4 years including wins at Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Leeds. He brought us national attention, something we hadn't had since 1910. 

As I said I'd have no problem with naming the South Stand after TC, although I think the performance centre is more fiiting, but I'd be disappointed if we're weren't at least thinking of acknowledging the only man who gave us top flight football in the past 100 years. 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Unfortunately the Lansdownes are pretty much disconnected with the history of Bristol City FC. 
Remember there baby is Bristol Sport FFS.

Pitiful response to TC’s passing from the “club” IMO.

You are quite right there, of course, and it’s understandable, up to a point, that they have very little grasp of the historical context before they became involved, or of the very strong emotions aroused by this issue.

However, the disconnect between ownership and fan base is something which has provoked a lot of comment on OTIB lately, even before the sad loss of TC, and that is something that should cause the Lansdowns concern. They would do well to pay attention. They have an opportunity here to bring club and supporters closer together to their mutual benefit. They would be foolish to ignore that and risk further alienating the support if they fail to respond in a fitting manner.

3 hours ago, adamski said:

I understand where you are coming from and remember that period well. However, I would suggest that other managers will have done similar things in the past…. Many have achieved more….subjective and emotional decisions are a dangerous thing, straight after a death, more so. 

This is the problem with singling out just a few or indeed naming specific things, a hierarchy of contribution, is that a positive thing ? Fine for debate on sites like this, but to be formally adopted by the club…what would be the Benefit?  

With all due respect, name one.  I cannot think of one who has done this and put his own money into the club as well as doing non-managerial things such as - as mentioned by SD - helping a player move house etc.  All whilst dragging a club back from the depths of despair.  Promotion from the 4th and 2 Wembley finals, in style as well, was nothing short of a miracle at the time for a club such as ours in the place it was in.

This isn't an emotional call.  It's a repeated call....a call that has been made time and time again for years for him to receive this sort of recognition.  If the emotions surrounding his passing are what ultimately gets Mr Cooper the recognition he deserves and many have clamoured for for many years, then that's absolutely fine by me.  But please do not disrespect the great man by suggesting that it's only wanted because he's passed.  You couldn't be further from the truth.

Apologies if this comes over as quite an aggressive post, I was going for passionate(!), however TC may not be the best football manager we've had in my lifetime....though I struggle to think of too many better....but that gentleman meant so much to so many of us and was so influential in my early years of supporting the club.  What he did will never be repeated. He gave this club back its soul in a time it had been ripped away from us.

A statue of TC with the freight rover along with a plaque with a transcript from his interview which gives great context and emotion would be great, but probably fanciful, given how long the Atyeo statue took.

I think a mural along similar lines would be second best and a great tribute.

Archived