IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

9 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

If we assume Atkinson will partner Baker, and James and King will anchor the midfield then Bentley will captain the team.

I never feel comfortable with the goalkeeper being captain. Prefer an outfield player who can have a quiet (or loud) word during play when necessary. Difficult for a goalkeeper.

20 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Alan Walsh. what a football player he was. 18k what a bargain. 

Another thing to thank Terry Cooper for. As I remember we offered Darlington 20k and they wanted 30k, it went to a tribunal and Cooper put up such a good case regarding how much more we were going to pay him, the tribunal settled the fee for even less than we had offered. :) 

58 minutes ago, lenred said:

If we get it right here it could really take off and that excites  

Observes a lot rather than coaching and when he is coaching he wants to give clear messages. Working with people here so it’s about how you deal with people as well as the technical stuff.

Clarity is important, having belief in your people and giving guidance.

Players also need to own the leadership of the team and will look to provide opportunities.  

NP is a motivator and all the best managers have that mindset. They don’t need to coach players they have coaches to do that

Watching what players do at training and during games, working them out and then getting them to walk through walls for you. It’s all about their mentality and the belief they have in themselves and what their Manager believes they are capable of

You wouldn’t see Ferguson, Guardiola or Klopp directing coaching sessions they just monitor and observe and speak to players individually when they see fit 

57 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"I am not one of these tippy tappy people, not into that."

"I want a hard working, aggressive team who look as if they're bothered".

Matty James is the best midfielder he's worked with.

Re: Kalas, he did mention him as an after-thought when talking Centre Backs but I can't see how this would be because he "doesn't rate him". 

Re the last bit my hunch is that because he could possibly be off, he understandably went out of his way to praise the 2 in situ first before thinking it might seem odd if he didn’t include TK as well.

4 minutes ago, Desso said:

I never feel comfortable with the goalkeeper being captain. Prefer an outfield player who can have a quiet (or loud) word during play when necessary. Difficult for a goalkeeper.

Based on the interview I wouldn’t be surprised if James was made captain 

Best midfielder he’s worked with is a pretty decent endorsement and is probably in the best position to take on that role 

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Best midfielder he’s worked with is a pretty decent endorsement and is probably in the best position to take on that role 

I’m just surprised we haven’t seen James take that role at all in pre-season games. Bentley has in the last two. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

I’m just surprised we haven’t seen James take that role at all in pre-season games. Bentley has in the last two. 

Perhaps keeping them guessing?

if bids come in for Kalas or Bentley then looks a bit daft after making them Captain if they are then sold 

9 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Did you not see my previous post?

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Re the last bit my hunch is that because he could possibly be off, he understandably went out of his way to praise the 2 in situ first before thinking it might seem odd if he didn’t include TK as well.

I think I might get a t-shirt printed up with "I am not one of these tippy tappy people".

Love it.    

Here’s my notes:

Twentyman

Rennie - “players will tell you the difference”

“Players feel more engaged with the staff”, “being given feedback, given ownership how they train and how they develop”, “players will give me if they understand why they are being asked to do something”

“Steeliness to the players, a focus”

“Best way to force a culture is to get recruitment right”, “don’t think we add more, we may do”.

“Players we’ve brought in have got to be able to the jobs we want them to as players and the right type of people”.

“Players who remain have taken more responsibility, it’s the dynamic”

Matty James 

“As good as midfielder as I’ve worked with

Andy King

“Streetwise, lots of experience”

“Very positive influence on their team mates….Weimann, Martin, Bentley”, “manage the dressing room”

Rob Atkinson

“Proper defender, puts his foot through the ball”, “get some experience in…will help us get to PL and be able to perform there”, “for the future”, “this window….stabilise, foundations, Baker a bonus….financial implications, wasn’t offered initially….the two of them together…wow”

Baker

“Myth about availability, a fantastic athlete, need to manage him”, “staff will….he’ll enjoy playing”, “type of player I think we can more if it”

Striker

“Sell, reality of it….priorities”, “my responsibility to prioritise”, “Weimann, Martin, Well, Antoine…Tommy Conway, Belly who’s making great progress…we are short of a guaranteed 20 goals a season striker, but we can’t afford one”

“Conscious effort to move in a direction to cut wage bill but be competitive and give hope for the future”

“Players not shy of talking about promotion”, “ambitious”, “don’t want to populate squad with nearly men, would rather work with what I’ve got…what’s the point in wasting money on players who aren’t better than I’ve got…would rather develop what’s here”

Management

“Managing people”, “like having fun with media”, “open as possible, but not guff”, “accurate info…matter of fact”

“Hungry and motivated squad because they are close to the team”

“Pressure to deliver on the pitch….owner has invested time and money in infrastructure”, “style of play and identity….I’m not tippy-tappy, I want hardworking, aggressive, who look as if they’re bothered”

2nd half:

“Attracted me….doing something a bit different….get it right, can take off”

Training Ground, coaching,

“Observe a lot….clear messages (you can talk too much)….players get caught / I’m on the prowl”, “biggest part is dealing people, clarity of message, belief in them, giving them responsibility, guidance….players have to drive it too….opportunity to fail, give them leadership”

Paul Simpson

“Making progress….hoping he’ll be back asap”, “no pressure, want him back, but fit”

Curtis Fleming

“Engaging character, passionate, personable, good to have different style coaches”, “I don’t want nodding dogs”

“I didn’t know what I was gonna get from us to work out how we’d handle our opponents”

“GT - Blocks of games? - NP no”

“GT - Skipper? NP not telling you”

Match Day - team selection 

“Usually Friday, so can work on set pieces…allows sulkers to get over it, so everyone can support the team on match day”, “hopefully there ain’t be too many sulkers this season”

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"I am not one of these tippy tappy people, not into that."

"I want a hard working, aggressive team who look as if they're bothered".

Matty James is the best midfielder he's worked with.

Re: Kalas, he did mention him as an after-thought when talking Centre Backs but I can't see how this would be because he "doesn't rate him". 

Didn't rate Cambiasso then!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep because he signed Atkinson and re-signed Baker and the topic was about players Nige has brought in.

It was very clear that Nige was talking about Baker and Atkinson playing together. He then said "and we've got Kalas as well". 

Quite clear that as of right now Kalas has gone from being club captain to the periphery of the squad. 

Just nice to see us appointing and recruiting people in order to try and build something. For too many years now it’s been to comfortable aswell as having too many players not enough quality. I’d happily take a mid table finish this season then go for it within the next few seasons. Very promising times just got to trust the process. 

54 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Good interview.

NP paid special attention to Atkinson, Baker, James, King, Weimann, Bentley.

Maybe the spine of the team ?

No problems with that.

I didn't think King was that great against Villa. Hope to see Nagy, Williams, HNM or Bakinson replace him. Keep King on the bench for game management in the last 15 mins. 

Good interview, but then exactly the same was said about Dean Holden’s first interviews.  The proof of the pudding, etc. etc.

interesting that he is prepared to talk about promotion (several times) as a realistic ambition.  He certainly gives the feel that he’s not here to tread water.  If I had one slight concern it was that he focused on the influence of the older players and the promise of the young ‘uns, but had little to say about the people in between.  I’d have liked to hear his assessment of the likes of Dasilva, O’Dowda, Vyner, Williams etc.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good interview, but then exactly the same was said about Dean Holden’s first interviews.  The proof of the pudding, etc. etc.

interesting that he is prepared to talk about promotion (several times) as a realistic ambition.  He certainly gives the feel that he’s not here to tread water.  If I had one slight concern it was that he focused on the influence of the older players and the promise of the young ‘uns, but had little to say about the people in between.  I’d have liked to hear his assessment of the likes of Dasilva, O’Dowda, Vyner, Williams etc.

That was down to the focus of the questions from GT.

Gregor could pick up the mantle and question along the lines of “we’ve heard a lot about the likes of Weimann, James, Martin, etc, and the youngsters, what about the mid-age range players like….x, y and z?”.  That’s an easy question to get Nige talking???

Listening now and was interested to hear what he had to say about Kalas. The questions asked by GT were very much geared towards an assessment of players NP has brought in (or in the case of Baker, re-signed) and therefore nothing to read into about his thoughts on Kalas. I’d be happy seeing Kalas and Atkinson/Baker (happy with either there) as our primary pairing. 

Gregor needs to take note of what NP said tonight and hone his interview skills accordingly. I quite like Gregor but at times his questions lack intelligence and invite the obtuse replies that NP offers. Perhaps he’s been too easily indulged by more media friendly managers in recent seasons. 

I don’t especially like Pearson but I think he’s the right man for the job and if he gets the best out of this talented (on paper at least) group then I’ll be delighted. 
What I do like is that he wants players who are committed and play with commitment. Should be much easier on the eye this season I reckon - not necessarily attractive but we won’t be watching from behind our hands in absolute horror. COYR…just don’t expect Nige to bounce around the ground!

Archived