IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

• Admin
1 hour ago, Big C said:

Could it be just a case that after Kalas's stint at the Euros NP has had longer to work with Atkinson and Baker over the summer and may be more up to speed in the early weeks?

All will be revealed soon, the clues were in the interview when asked another specific question

I was impressed with how GT reacted to NP stern answers, not heard anyone else stand up to his terse manner

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If you accept Kalas leaving and Vyner as a CB cover., then you need another RB instead.  You can’t go in with one RB - Simpson.  If Kalas goes to fund a striker, it has to fund a defender as well.

I can’t imagine Nige wants Kalas to go, but I get worried when Kid says Brighton are looking….but if they are, chances are we will get a sizeable fee.  I don’t want him to go though.

With Nige, the last 12 months are irrelevant, the last few months of last season might be, but undoubtedly pre-season is the basis for this season.  It could be as simple as Wells, Nagy and Kalas coming back late means they’re behind the others, and it appears that being fit (and robust) is key.  He’s taken no risks with Joe Williams or Han-Noah Massengo this summer….he’s thinking about a gruelling season.

Nagy did make Loughborough, so he might be fine, but TK and NW might be playing catch up.  Baker and Atkinson have had chance to build minutes together, form a pairing.  He sounds like he really likes Baker.  A fit Baker (yeah, yeah, we know the past) is a top half defender at this level.  If he’s been “fixed” by Rennie, then that’s fantastic.

Gonna be a nervy few weeks….

Negligence is the word.  I think someone’s mind was on East Anglia.  Left Pearson with a difficult situation which he’s trying to repair.  Not an easy task.

Our defence last season played 6 minutes together in its preferred 3 of Vyner, Kalas, Mawson….against Northampton in the cup, before Kalas got injured.  Then Mawson v Boro.  Moore got played LCB, even Tommy Rowe played there.

In fact I doubt that was the preferred 3….Mawson, Kalas, Baker was it.  It never played.

To lay partial blame at Kalas’s door is incredibly harsh.

Depends on whether NP trusts Cundy and Moore. Towler still around too at the minute. If he does there is no need to rush another defender in. Counting on players staying fit rather than having 3 options everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

It's a decent theory - I suppose it may be transfer-orientated.

However, the main issues I see with that approach are:

A) Even if NP does want to sell Kalas, we need a club who wants to buy him. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been many rumours to suggest that this is the case.

B) If (A) is accurate and we're not confident of our ability to sell Kalas, you'd imagine NP's thinking may be close to "If we can't sell him, we should use him". It seems very early to sideline Kalas unless we're very confident that we will sell.

C) If we sold Kalas, we'd certainly need to replace him (very well). To fully justify the sale, we'd likely also need to sign a striker using some portion of the funds. Hence, if the plan is to sell Kalas, then we'd need to have identified good targets at CB and ST, be very confident of getting them, and be able to move fast (given that we'll start playing competitive games in a few days). It would feel risky losing such a key player this close to the start of the season.

I'm not sure that trying to sell Kalas is the route that we are/should be going down.

Yeah all of that makes sense… I guess a couple of things we don’t know are:

Is there interest? Rumours don’t always surface and most top leagues are a week or two away from starting and there’s the best part of a month of the window left to go.  

Does Kalas want to be here? How did he feel at the end of last season? (Something odd went on). Has the Euros turned his/his agent’s head? 

For all his ability, I didn’t see him as a leader or organiser. Maybe NP finds that odd… almost unacceptable for a centre back… it’s certainly not how NP himself was as a player. 

By the way… I know nothing! All idle speculation!!

4 hours ago, grifty said:

Let's face it, Baker is going to get injured whether its a light knock or something more serious sooner rather than later, so Kalas will be back in the team.

Now that a significant proportion of his salary depends on him spending minutes on the pitch, rather than the treatment table, we shall see... 

@Davefevs

I wasn't trying to criticise Kalas because if my interpretation of his performances is correct, then he gets my admiration.

But if by trying to be the whole defence himself, then he may have been unaware of the fact. I have never seen a City defence like it in seventy years. The "panic" attempts to clear the ball from the goalmouth to the moon are the worst I can remember and that includes seven relegations and plenty of years when we just avoided the drop.

On the other hand, I may be spouting a load of bollox which should please anyone who feared that one day my belief that I'll get the City managers job will come true!

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Yeah all of that makes sense… I guess a couple of things we don’t know are:

Is there interest? Rumours don’t always surface and most top leagues are a week or two away from starting and there’s the best part of a month of the window left to go.  

Does Kalas want to be here? How did he feel at the end of last season? (Something odd went on). Has the Euros turned his/his agent’s head? 

For all his ability, I didn’t see him as a leader or organiser. Maybe NP finds that odd… almost unacceptable for a centre back… it’s certainly not how NP himself was as a player. 

By the way… I know nothing! All idle speculation!!

The bedrock of all that is OTIB. :) 

4 hours ago, Big C said:

Could it be just a case that after Kalas's stint at the Euros NP has had longer to work with Atkinson and Baker over the summer and may be more up to speed in the early weeks?

This. He's 2 weeks back.  I suspect will play vs Forest Green and maybe one other game if Baker needs resting before the transfer window and international games.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

@Davefevs

I wasn't trying to criticise Kalas because if my interpretation of his performances is correct, then he gets my admiration.

But if by trying to be the whole defence himself, then he may have been unaware of the fact. I have never seen a City defence like it in seventy years. The "panic" attempts to clear the ball from the goalmouth to the moon are the worst I can remember and that includes seven relegations and plenty of years when we just avoided the drop.

On the other hand, I may be spouting a load of bollox which should please anyone who feared that one day my belief that I'll get the City managers job will come true!

70 years of following the City you deserve a medal as big as a frying pan!?

3 hours ago, Super said:

Really enjoyed that. GT has really turned into a superb sports presenter.

Agreed he's good at doing football interviews.  He's not afraid to ask the difficult question and having been a footballer gives him the confidence to stand up to Nige in particular.    Pretty sure NP didn't remember the game 20p was on about when they played against each other.    Geoff was making it out they were great rivals; bless!

He's been around so long you've got to love him, even though he's a gashead, but there are few things I find more annoying in the whole world than that weird way he reads tweets out on the radio.  

"He - speaks - very - slowly - and - mono-ton-ously - when - he reads - out - tweets - and - why - does - he - need - to  - read  - them - out - anyway - when -we  - can - see - them - on - twitter - ourselves" 

51 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Agreed he's good at doing football interviews.  He's not afraid to ask the difficult question and having been a footballer gives him the confidence to stand up to Nige in particular.    Pretty sure NP didn't remember the game 20p was on about when they played against each other.    Geoff was making it out they were great rivals; bless!

He's been around so long you've got to love him, even though he's a gashead, but there are few things I find more annoying in the whole world than that weird way he reads tweets out on the radio.  

"He - speaks - very - slowly - and - mono-ton-ously - when - he reads - out - tweets - and - why - does - he - need - to  - read  - them - out - anyway - when -we  - can - see - them - on - twitter - ourselves" 

Because not all radio listeners are on twitter? ??‍♂️???

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Bizarre how some people read into things. I didn't get the impression he doesn't rate Kalas and that he is being sold at all... The questioning was around new signings of which Baker is one, Pearson didn't say he prefers Baker to Kalas.

I'm confident for a decent season, I think if Pearson gets his wish of aggressive play then we will be entertaining to watch.

I don’t think it’s bizarre by any means.  Pearson spent some time talking up Baker and Atkinson, to an extent which suggested that they are his first choice pairing.  Hardly bizarre to consider that perhaps if Kalas is not first choice he will want away.  Given that Pearson also seemed to suggest that he’d like to buy a striker, but only if we sold, then it’s a reasonable suggestion to make. 

23 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Very clear that Baker & Atkinson are his main centre back pairing. Also speaking highly of the presence and influence of Bentley, Wiemann and Chris Martin big positive personalities alongside James and King. 

At what point in the interview have you gleaned this information....   I don't believe this to be the case  The only reason Kalas has not featured is because of the extra time he has been allowed off because of the Euros.  I see Baker and Kalas as the first choice main central pairing, with a young inexperienced Atkinson as back up.  I will be amazed if that is not the line up against Blackpool.?

40 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t think it’s bizarre by any means.  Pearson spent some time talking up Baker and Atkinson, to an extent which suggested that they are his first choice pairing.  Hardly bizarre to consider that perhaps if Kalas is not first choice he will want away.  Given that Pearson also seemed to suggest that he’d like to buy a striker, but only if we sold, then it’s a reasonable suggestion to make. 

I think it is bizarre that from what Pearson said that people presume 'he doesn't rate him' and 'he must be off'.

23 hours ago, Countryfile said:

If we assume Atkinson will partner Baker, and James and King will anchor the midfield then Bentley will captain the team.

I really hope not, when we have Nagy, HNM or Williams who can do that. King should be on the bench and used to help shut the game down with 15 mins left...

42 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I really hope not, when we have Nagy, HNM or Williams who can do that. King should be on the bench and used to help shut the game down with 15 mins left...

Massengo isn't fit enough for Saturday and debateable that Williams is ready as well, but I agree about Nagy - he should partner James imo. But if its King, then no problem with that either.

If we have a closed doors game this week to get a couple up to match fit, it may well change.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

People keep saying this about King as if we’re going to be winning on 75 mins or so! It’s been said so often it’s almost become fact. If we’re shutting down games as suggested then I’ll be a happy chappy but I just can’t see it all that often. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

All about opinions, but how about using King and his very good goalscoring record from midfield to actually try and put us ahead. Big assumption there will be enough games where he will be best utilised closing a game out, we need to get ahead first. ?

He’s not a defensive midfielder of the ilk of Chris Brunt, he’s a much more box to box (James isn’t just a sitter either), looking to make late runs into the area.  I do think people have got the wrong idea about what his career role has been about.

Maybe he will be used differently by Nige for City than the rest of his career, even Matty James said he’s a box to box midfielder when interviewed by Stanley recently.

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

People keep saying this about King as if we’re going to be winning on 75 mins or so! It’s been said so often it’s almost become fact. If we’re shutting down games as suggested then I’ll be a happy chappy but I just can’t see it all that often. 

Spooky

48 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Is King that sort of player? I always read he was more of an advanced midfielder with a knack of scoring. 

11 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Is King that sort of player? I always read he was more of an advanced midfielder with a knack of scoring. 

King started out as an attacking midfielder but as he is 33 in October he’s been around long enough now to adapt his game.

I very much doubt he’ll start 30 games plus, but don’t doubt he can play a more defensive role if required these days.

I paid particular attention to him & James v Villa, they took it in turns to support the lone striker & to hold & apart from King playing on the left of the two throughout, they were pretty fluid.

5 hours ago, Daniro said:

This made me laugh. Twentystone acting all buddy buddy and Pearson remembering nothing about him at all. 

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

King started out as an attacking midfielder but as he is 33 in October he’s been around long enough now to adapt his game.

I very much doubt he’ll start 30 games plus, but don’t doubt he can play a more defensive role if required these days.

I paid particular attention to him & James v Villa, they took it in turns to support the lone striker & to hold & apart from King playing on the left of the two throughout, they were pretty fluid.

So much made of en vogue double pivot and all that bo11ocks, than anyone playing in the centre of midfield, especially if it looks like a 4231 makes the assumption that they are defensive / holding midfielders.  As you say, all about common sense of when to join the attack, when not to.  Neither are the “screen” / quarterback that Pack became.

I so hope we see a more fluid but disciplined midfield this season.  On Saturday we saw James deep in Vila territory triggering the press.  In other games we’ve seen him bursting through the lines.  There us potential to see the rigidity that we become accustomed to in LJ’s last two seasons replaced by players allowed to use their intelligence.

Early days though.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

All about opinions, but how about using King and his very good goalscoring record from midfield to actually try and put us ahead. 

Because he's not 25 any more, box to box is likely beyond his legs these days and I'd prefer to rely on our strikers and support strikers for goals and leave our 2 CMs to concentrate - primarily - on keeping the back door closed. We're flaky enough defensively as it is but if one of the 2 CMs starts bombing on as well we'll be cut to ribbons when we turn possession over. Plus, James is a nailed on pick but one thing he lacks is pace - he couldn't track Watkins on Saturday for Villa's first - and what he needs around him is legs - Williams and Massengo. King can't provide that level of mobility. What I'm sure he can do is adapt his game to play more defensively these days and see out games for the last 20 minutes.

Well, that's what I'd do. No idea what Pearson's thinking.  

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I so hope we see a more fluid but disciplined midfield this season.  On Saturday we saw James deep in Vila territory triggering the press.  In other games we’ve seen him bursting through the lines.  There us potential to see the rigidity that we become accustomed to in LJ’s last two seasons replaced by players allowed to use their intelligence.

Two excellent points Dave.

Im very confident that we will see the likes of King, James, Massengo et al all given license to play without shackles and be innovative in their play. 

Let’s hope for some front foot, attacking football this coming season.

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

Bizarre how some people read into things. I didn't get the impression he doesn't rate Kalas and that he is being sold at all... The questioning was around new signings of which Baker is one, Pearson didn't say he prefers Baker to Kalas.

I'm confident for a decent season, I think if Pearson gets his wish of aggressive play then we will be entertaining to watch.

12 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I agree, most bizarre the interpretation being given here. If Kalas left he would need replacing anyway. I am sure NP would be happy to have Baker, Kalas, Atkinson, and I am also certain very few sides would like to come up against any combination of those 3 in our league. Would NP prefer to sell Kalas and get a forward ? I would not think that is certain, as we need to build a solid defence first, and maybe the forward can be something for next summer. 

Agreed. 

NP comments about Baker & Atkinson were more about them than Kalas, especially as they are both his signings.  TK is an established international who shouldn't need a public vote of confidence, whereas Baker, perhaps justifiably, has his (availability related) doubters, and Atkinson is stepping up to a higher level.

Nothing more than good man management for those who need, and will benefit from it the most. 

I have no idea what NP will decide on for Saturday, but if either don't start then these comments will help him manage the situation.  If they both play, or as is inevitable, at least one of them plays, then they should be running through proverbial brick walls for him on the back of his public, and IMHO, very intentional, comments.

13 hours ago, Daniro said:

He is probably too old and set in his ways to change now, like many of us. :)

Like all presenters he has his traits, which some will find annoying and others will like.

Two things irritate me, his continued use of "shout" or "shout out", like he is in his 20's (ironically), and the way he says this afternoon as "saafternoon". :)

Archived