IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He is probably too old and set in his ways to change now, like many of us. :)

Like all presenters he has his traits, which some will find annoying and others will like.

Two things irritate me, his continued use of "shout" or "shout out", like he is in his 20's (ironically), and the way he says this afternoon as "saafternoon". :)

Quite Bristolian that.

Often abbreviated to safto when I was a kid.

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Two excellent points Dave.

Im very confident that we will see the likes of King, James, Massengo et al all given license to play without shackles and be innovative in their play. 

Let’s hope for some front foot, attacking football this coming season.

When has  Massengo been innovative in his play? No assists No goals would suggest innovation is not part of his game. Actually what is his game? 

15 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

When has  Massengo been innovative in his play? No assists No goals would suggest innovation is not part of his game. Actually what is his game? 

Massengo was shackled in much the same way as all the other players were  particularly under LJ.

Nige takes over and pretty quickly saw what what a skilled footballer Massengo is and it could be that he’ll feature regularly this season along with King and James.

There appears to be a simmering doubt about our central defensive partnership for this coming Saturday?...........For me it has to be  -    Kalas and Baker?     Atkinson has acquiitted himself very well pre season, but if Pearson was to drop Kalas, especially after his  outstanding performances in the Euros, where he proved against the likes of Kane and other's,   his genuine quality, it would be insulting..

We are fortunate to have one of the best defenders in the Championship, and the very  thought of him not being a first choice on the team sheet is incomprehensible to me, as is the very thought of him being transferred out of the club. 

It really is the ultimate case of..........."you don't know what you've got till it's gone!!"?   He is our our club captain, and our best player, so i say please  let us all appreciate and support him.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Massengo was shackled in much the same way as all the other players were  particularly under LJ.

Nige takes over and pretty quickly saw what what a skilled footballer Massengo is and it could be that he’ll feature regularly this season along with King and James.

I think we have a few players whose true abilities have been stifled by previous management/coaching. 

Hopefully this preseason under NP might just give them all a fresh start and playing with more freedom. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

There appears to be a simmering doubt about our central defensive partnership for this coming Saturday?...........For me it has to be  -    Kalas and Baker?     Atkinson has acquiitted himself very well pre season, but if Pearson was to drop Kalas, especially after his  outstanding performances in the Euros, where he proved against the likes of Kane and other's,   his genuine quality, it would be insulting..

We are fortunate to have one of the best defenders in the Championship, and the very  thought of him not being a first choice on the team sheet is incomprehensible to me, as is the very thought of him being transferred out of the club. 

It really is the ultimate case of..........."you don't know what you've got till it's gone!!"?   He is our our club captain, and our best player, so i say please  let us all appreciate and support him.

There is no doubting Kalas is a quality defender, and had an excellent Euros, however NP wanted a first ball winning defender and a player who can carry the ball out of defence, he has both in Atkinson and he will start on Saturday.

Baker is a bonus for NP in that he thought he had left the club only for Baker to resign unexpectedly. Baker is in my opinion a better defender than Kalas when fit, and currently he is fit, so he plays as well.

Along with Bentley Kalas is our most saleable asset and despite NP saying he doesn’t expect any more players to be signed if Kalas is sold that will give NP both a lump of money to spend and a big cut of the wage bill, Kalas is on top top money, and NP could probably pay a fee for one player and sign a free or loan player for the Kalas fee and wages.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

There is no doubting Kalas is a quality defender, and had an excellent Euros, however NP wanted a first ball winning defender and a player who can carry the ball out of defence, he has both in Atkinson and he will start on Saturday.

Baker is a bonus for NP in that he thought he had left the club only for Baker to resign unexpectedly. Baker is in my opinion a better defender than Kalas when fit, and currently he is fit, so he plays as well.

Along with Bentley Kalas is our most saleable asset and despite NP saying he doesn’t expect any more players to be signed if Kalas is sold that will give NP both a lump of money to spend and a big cut of the wage bill, Kalas is on top top money, and NP could probably pay a fee for one player and sign a free or loan player for the Kalas fee and wages.

Good problems to have.

I'm sick of hearing that Kalas is our most saleable asset?  I am a realist, so i appreciate his financial worth.  Bur I do not see it as   an option, unless he is desperate to go, which i don;t believe he is?   if we have any ambition to have a decent season, we should not be considering

selling one of our best players  IMHO.........       As soon as Baker is injured, and out for 2 months  or     half a dozen games, who do we then play in our central defence ?  Taylor Moore?.  I really don't buy it that we are that broke,, that we cannot find a loan or championship level striker, without selling first?  I view it as misleading club politicking.

• Admin
14 hours ago, maxjak said:

I'm sick of hearing that Kalas is our most saleable asset?  I am a realist, so i appreciate his financial worth.  Bur I do not see it as   an option, unless he is desperate to go, which i don;t believe he is?   if we have any ambition to have a decent season, we should not be considering

But that is how football works, like it or not practically every club has to sell to keep evolving

Anyone would move if they could get a decent pay rise and signing on fee

6 hours ago, phantom said:

But that is how football works, like it or not practically every club has to sell to keep evolving

Anyone would move if they could get a decent pay rise and signing on fee

It's one thing asking to leave for an upgrade in level and pay grade......it's another to be subtely moved aside, so you realise you are no longer wanted, and the club gradually push you out.  I realise Kalas is a big lad, and has plenty in the bank, but I really see no need for him to be sold anyways?.  I am extremely sceptical about all this "Have to sell" before we buy BS.......we off- loaded a huge amount of wage earners in the close season, and we have so far recruited three new players..  Barnsley don't appear to be struggling to bring in strikers, they also have a Billionaire owner, but a lot less support and infrastructure to allow them to possibly replenish their coffer's ?  ?                                          .  

Despite the Covid situation, and although SL obviously cannot constantly put his hand in his pocket,  the idea that we cannot afford to purchase a decent striker is ridiculous IMHO.    Of one thing i am certain......... come January, when  we are amongst the lowest goal scorers in the Championship,  suddenly and miraculously, the money will be found to buy a striker who can put the ball in the net, and save our season?  

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

It's one thing asking to leave for an upgrade in level and pay grade......it's another to be subtely moved aside, so you realise you are no longer wanted, and the club gradually push you out.  I realise Kalas is a big lad, and has plenty in the bank, but I really see no need for him to be sold anyways?.  I am extremely sceptical about all this "Have to sell" before we buy BS.......we off- loaded a huge amount of wage earners in the close season, and we have so far recruited three new players..  Barnsley don't appear to be struggling to bring in strikers, they also have a Billionaire owner, but a lot less support and infrastructure to allow them to possibly replenish their coffer's ?  ?                                          .  

Despite the Covid situation, and although SL obviously cannot constantly put his hand in his pocket,  the idea that we cannot afford to purchase a decent striker is ridiculous IMHO.    Of one thing i am certain......... come January, when  we are amongst the lowest goal scorers in the Championship,  suddenly and miraculously, the money will be found to buy a striker who can put the ball in the net, and save our season?  

Here’s why.

image.thumb.png.32717ef0afa752d788333dd0803b9afa.png

Cost base of £17.5m….ours was £62.6m.  Gives them significant more wiggle room than us.

On 04/08/2021 at 21:29, maxjak said:

selling one of our best players  IMHO.........       As soon as Baker is injured, and out for 2 months  or     half a dozen games, who do we then play in our central defence ?  Taylor Moore?.  I really don't buy it that we are that broke,, that we cannot find a loan or championship level striker, without selling first?  I view it as misleading club politicking.

It's not that we are broke. SL could spend £100 million and not notice it.

The problem we have is FFP, to buy without selling will take us over the limit of financial loss over the last three years.

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It's not that we are broke. SL could spend £100 million and not notice it.

The problem we have is FFP, to buy without selling will take us over the limit of financial loss over the last three years.

Yep, and it's absolutely mind blowing that there are people who still don't grasp this.

59 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, and it's absolutely mind blowing that there are people who still don't grasp this.

It's not rocket science is it.

Many also don't grasp the fact that having Bristol Bears using the stadium, which is owned by Bristol City Holdings, adds to our income and reduces our costs because they share the stadium costs like pitch maintenance. It's not £millions but all income helps with FFP.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s why.

image.thumb.png.32717ef0afa752d788333dd0803b9afa.png

Cost base of £17.5m….ours was £62.6m.  Gives them significant more wiggle room than us.

Thanks Dave, for your insight.  Your Logic wins over my eagerness.....every time ?  I really need to get a clearer picture of FFP, there are some aspects I just don't get?

Archived