IGNORED

BCFC Podcasts

pl00peh91

Hello all, I was just wondering ahead of the new season which Bristol City podcasts are continuing? I’ve seen that Gregor MacGregor’s one with Michelle Owen (Robins On The Wire) has been discontinued.

Anyone know whether the others are continuing this year? It would be useful if someone could explain the differences between them to the uninitiated too! Thanks

5 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Forever Bristol City - Older Dolman Stand types, tend to be more reactionary and critical of the club.

3 Peaps In A Podcast - Never Listened

Osib - Younger and more South Stand types, More irreverent and professional sounding.

16 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Hello all, I was just wondering ahead of the new season which Bristol City podcasts are continuing? I’ve seen that Gregor MacGregor’s one with Michelle Owen (Robins On The Wire) has been discontinued.

Anyone know whether the others are continuing this year? It would be useful if someone could explain the differences between them to the uninitiated too! Thanks

Its been pretty quiet for City podcasts but Forever Bristol City have done a couple recently. 

3 Peaps have just done a Terry Cooper tribute, whilst OSIB are still to get back from their Caribbean break, tax purposes i heard ?.

Gregor's is now called Robins at the Gate, with Michelle Owen.

Sorry forgotten one called BS3 Talk, bit high pitch for me

There is a joint one which has a chuckle or 2 in there called Brizzle Kicks but not regularly 

I enjoy listening to these because all give a perspective that you may not have considered ? 

29 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Robins on the wire was replaced by robins at the gate last season. https://robinsatthegate.podbean.com/

Still Michelle and Gregor and hopefully will be back again this season.

Forever Bristol City - If you like people not being able to finish their sentence, bad sound, home phones ringing and the general arrogance of Ian Gay, then this is this is the podcast for you.  Joking aside, its a decent listen but the sound quality and Ian can be a bit annoying.  He is very reactionary and his opinions change like the wind. Pretends to be in the know. 

3 Peaps In A Podcast - Professional sounding podcast, and some great chats.  Very level headed in their opinion. 

Osib - Probably my favourite.  Sensible debate and some great humour.  Pete really makes this podcast IMO. 

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

that could be the first time in history we've been called professional sounding, if anyone needs me i'll be in shock on the floor until Saturday

OSIB is very amateurish and all the more brilliant for it.

Or thinking about it, maybe it IS professional and the lads do a brilliant job of making it SOUND amateurish? ?

Either way, it’s at its absolute best when it’s a car crash of fumbling, irreverence, argument and nonsense. Love it!

48 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Robins on the wire was replaced by robins at the gate last season. https://robinsatthegate.podbean.com/

Still Michelle and Gregor and hopefully will be back again this season.

Nope - it’s now gone:

Personally, I’m hoping for a Gregor and Nige two hander on a regular basis just to see how long it is before Nige batters him live on air.

After attending Saturdays game and thoroughly enjoying it and taking many positives from our performance, I have just listened to FBC and realise I must have been at a completely different game. What a depressing 45 minutes or so listen that was. I appreciate it is all about opinions but why so much negativity ? 

No surprise the Villa fan Michelle Owen no longer wished to do a Bristol City podcast. Always felt that was a bit weird. 

I like to listen to both OSIB & Forever Bristol City. Very different personalities on both. 

BS3 Talk did a very good special on our promotion season, but I’ve not listened to their general match day podcasts (if they even do them)

They are all pretty good in honesty and I think they vary on your mood.

OSIB - Good for when winning, largely positive fans, can be a bit too happy clapper-ish for me when we're doing badly though.

FBC - Complete opposite, a load of elderly gentleman discussing the club, usually reactionary and love a good moan when we aren't performing well, which was used way more often by me last season when we were dreadful. Can be cynical and one of the guys (Ian?) is a bit of a know it all.

3 Peaps in a Pod - I would say tow the line between both other podcasts, have the best one to one chats recently with ex players and managers which were a great listen.

They all offer a great alternative and BS3 Talk - meh. Not my cup of tea, prefer real fans

56 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I only meant more professional sounding when compared to FBC :P

Do you mean production-wise rather than content?

Headhunter (FBC) used to report on City every week on the radio, so you'd imagine would have a fairly unbeatable professional background (as well as 55 years experience of supporting the club) to draw on than the comparative youngsters on OSIB.

Each to their own, but as you've been on here 17 years then in your terms above I'd think of you more as 'an older Dolman' type rather than a 'younger South Stand' type!

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you mean production-wise rather than content?

Headhunter (FBC) used to report on City every week on the radio, so you'd imagine would have a fairly unbeatable professional background (as well as 55 years experience of supporting the club) to draw on than the comparative youngsters on OSIB.

Each to their own, but as you've been on here 17 years then in your terms above I'd think of you more as 'an older Dolman' type rather than a 'younger South Stand' type!

I mean production wise AND content, just much more the kind of talk about City I prefer.

I get slightly irritated by FBC just because they are so bloody miserable about the club all the time and it's just like listening to the phone-in on Radio Bristol after a game, mainly because it is recorded by the people that seem to get on the radio more than any others!

I would agree that age, looks and condition-wise I certainly am an 'older Dolman type' but identify in spirit much more with the 'younger South Stand type' :P

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I mean production wise AND content, just much more the kind of talk about City I prefer.

I get slightly irritated by FBC just because they are so bloody miserable about the club all the time and it's just like listening to the phone-in on Radio Bristol after a game, mainly because it is recorded by the people that get on the radio more than any others :P

I would agree that age, looks and condition-wise I certainly am an 'older Dolman type' but identify in spirit much more with the 'younger South Stand type' :P

Production-wise I'd agree with you, but not content.

I think coming over as mostly miserable is the very natural and correct reaction to what BCFC have offered up over the last couple of years or so, pretending to be otherwise with 'banter' doesn't really do it for me.

No doubt they will cheer up if and when the displays on the pitch give them a reason to be enthusiastic. If not, I might start to agree with you that they are too entrenched in their despondency. Let's hope we have the chance to find out, and soon.

I expect you'll  be making your way across to the Dolman in the fullness of time, most of us do! ?

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Production-wise I'd agree with you, but not content.

I think coming over as mostly miserable is the very natural and correct reaction to what BCFC have offered up over the last couple of years or so, pretending to be otherwise with 'banter' doesn't really do it for me.

The laughter and banter is all fine, when we're winning. It's about context mainly for me, when losing FBC are the go to as they shoot from the hip, when winning OSIB is a more positive feel, I don't like positivity for positivity's sake. As a guy in my late 20's, I prefer listening to elderly guys discuss football as they have more experience than I do when discussing the game and usually have more knowledge than me, i don't listen to football podcasts to listen to jokes and 'bants'

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The laughter and banter is all fine, when we're winning. It's about context mainly for me, when losing FBC are the go to as they shoot from the hip, when winning OSIB is a more positive feel, I don't like positivity for positivity's sake. As a guy in my late 20's, I prefer listening to elderly guys discuss football as they have more experience than I do when discussing the game and usually have more knowledge than me, i don't listen to football podcasts to listen to jokes and 'bants'

I don't see them as miserable all the time by any means.

All (bar one, who remains guarded) were enthusiastic about the arrival of NP as far as I remember, and all seem equally enthused at the emergence of our very promising young players, and are keen to see more of them.

That seems fair enough - there really hasn't been that much else to be enthusiastic about since FBC first aired, but I look forward to hearing them in better spirits when we start playing well, and even winning the odd game at AG.

Can't come soon enough, and however jaded they may sometimes sound, I'm sure they can't wait either!

I listen to all three,

Fbc can be good but Ian constant drivel does get on your nerves after a while. 

3 peaps I find is more of a Lansdown/BCFC appreciation society neither of which can do no wrong.

Osib I find by far the best of the 3. Different content and very relaxed presenting

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't see them as miserable all the time by any means.

All (bar one, who remains guarded) were enthusiastic about the arrival of NP as far as I remember, and all seem equally enthused at the emergence of our very promising young players, and are keen to see more of them.

That seems fair enough - there really hasn't been that much else to be enthusiastic about since FBC first aired, but I look forward to hearing them in better spirits when we start playing well, and even winning the odd game at AG.

Can't come soon enough, and however jaded they may sometimes sound, I'm sure they can't wait either!

They're a good bunch (Ian can be a bit annoying at times) but they are just passionate City fans and reflect the mood quite well. They were very positive about NP coming into the club like you say. They're a bit brash at times and old school but I suppose that's why I like it.

17 minutes ago, 2015 said:

They're a good bunch (Ian can be a bit annoying at times) but they are just passionate City fans and reflect the mood quite well. They were very positive about NP coming into the club like you say. They're a bit brash at times and old school but I suppose that's why I like it.

Yep, nothing against OSIB which probably caters for mostly younger fans with less of an historical knowledge in the club, with fewer references and comparisons to the past, and discussions of eras which of course they couldn't have experienced.

OSIB could probably do with adding an older supporter to it's number to give a different perspective, likewise FBC might benefit from including a younger fan (30's/40's) in it's ranks.

Whichever podcast people prefer the main thing the contributors all have in common is the ability to talk and talk (and talk a bit more) hence it takes a particular type of individual to maintain content and interest for an hour or more however old they are.

Thanks for asking!  3 Peaps was created back in 2015 and was initially 3 lads chatting about whatever we wanted or was relevant at the time, it then grew to having local personalities, reviews of events and places... this show still exists as the "Regular Show" any episode that starts Episode XXX.  The Bonus Show was created a few years back and features Patch Warner and Matt Withers together with a different fan every week reviewing the starting line up, running through the minutes and then our player ratings.  We also have guests on prior on some occasions.  Back in April we had Steve Lansdown on which was really insightful.  Finally, the 3rd show in the @3PIAPC (twitter handle) offering is Robins Reunited where we get 2 ex players or staff back together to talk about their time at City.  Wednesday we are recording with Lee Peacock and Lee Matthews.  Hope this helps...

I like all 3, all have their place at the table.

FBC are the guys I would prefer to go for a pint with after a game and probably after a loss! as when they get on a moan, they say what I am thinking! but then I am ex-dolman and 54, so they are my "cup of tea", the sound quality can be a bit crap at times though.

OSIB appear to be on a break and fair play to them, they put in more effort then our players last season! and in fairness they always have strong contributors, now including David Lloyd and Gregor that both add age. perspective and professionalism to it.

3 Peps is ace and have more official access, but with that comes less criticism of the club. not that I disagree with that, as I would not swap our chairman and owners with many others. 

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

After attending Saturdays game and thoroughly enjoying it and taking many positives from our performance, I have just listened to FBC and realise I must have been at a completely different game. What a depressing 45 minutes or so listen that was. I appreciate it is all about opinions but why so much negativity ? 

I agree Sir Geoff.  Ian is incredibly negative, even when we win sometimes.  I honestly believe he thinks he should be manager.  Changes his opinion on players, systems every week.

Being overseas listening to some of the podcasts keeps me more in touch.

Listened to all three at various stages last year and I have to say that this year I will only listen to 3 Peaps.

They do criticize and complain like most fans but are very honest in their opinions both ways and give praise where it is due. I also like the fact they have a different "fan" on most weeks after games to give a different perspective to their own.

The extra stuff that they do in regards to old players and those conversations I think takes them to a different level.

Archived