IGNORED

Easter 1985 - Plymouth (A)

Nickybee

The thing is, the Plymouth '85 episode clearly illustrates the divide in Bristol football:

- Rovers, fans "locked out" (don't snigger) at a part-time team's ground enclosed by a knee-high picket fence in need of repair manned by one portly copper on a bicycle and two septegenarian stews in the early stages of memory-decline, a ground yer Granny could probably get in to without paying if she so decided; and

- City, hundreds pour off a train not even parked next to a bleedin' platform and make it hot-foot to a ground heavily defended by hundreds of plod armed with dogs, horses and helicopters.

58 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

the reading game was a big promotion clash, city lost absolute anarchy it made the back pages of the papers.  

It made the front pages of the tabloids, remember it making the news on national TV and radio, mad day, mate of mine got 6 months at her majesty's pleasure ?‍♂️

the reading game was a big promotion clash, city lost absolute anarchy it made the back pages of the papers.  

It made the front pages of the tabloids, remember it making the news on national TV and radio, mad day, mate of mine got 6 months at her majesty's pleasure ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Don't know how that happened !!!

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

I’m gonna say this only once…….hopefully.

The back page of one newspaper, the S** I think, had the headline “SCUM” with a picture of the away end where we were stood. Not our finest moment.

Also remember the great TC having to come on to the pitch and plead for calm so the game could carry on.

2 hours ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

20210802_214307.jpg

I was a steward on the train that day. 

I'm not on the photo. The journalist wanted to get as many stories as possible but most of us just wanted to go home.

One fan made me laugh with his account. He got very animated and stated helicopters were machine gunning us! It broke the ice and put smiles back on our faces. 

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

That was the Cherry Tree ‘Incident’. Unless there were two such garage forecourt situations, that was in the early is 1990’s and unrelated to the special train.

The Cherry Tree was one of the most bizarre experiences I’ve ever encountered at a football match. Like a scene from the Wild West outside with axes and bottles flying through the air, wandered into the pub for a pint and it was like nothing had happened/was happening. A few City and several regulars sipping their pints in the bar/lounge. Surreal. 

Archived