IGNORED

Louis Britton

James54De

1 hour ago, James54De said:

If Nigel Pearson prefers a big striker up top, as has been suggested on here, surely Britton fits the bill more so than Bell or Conway. 

Really not sure where this has come from, nor from Gregor….other than people thinking it’s because Diedhiou left and we must sign like for like.  All Nige has said is he wants a striker to put the ball in the back of the net.  I don’t suppose he cares what type that is, other than fitting in with how he wants to play and what he has already.

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He seems to be 6th choice striker here so hard to see much game time without a loan 

I think much of this depends on how Nige sees Weimann, Semenyo, Bell and Janneh.  Other than Chris Martin and Nahki Wells, you could argue if the others are seen as wide forwards (Bell and Janneh pre-season have only appeared in wide positions), he 4th choice behind Conway.

Having said that I don’t think the “strikers” are seen in rank order, because it’s about what each brings individually in their playing style.  If we needed a big man per se, you’d argue he is second choice behind Chris Martin.

As it stands he is not first choice, and therefore in the mix with all the others….albeit just coming back from injury.

11 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Was told by someone with links to the u23s that in his words Louis is a funny one. Said that tactically & technically he’s considered to be behind due to late entry into the Academy & whilst not blessed with pace he always scores. I’ll take the last characteristic above the others as goals are what his job is.  Found it strange his contract wasn’t extended with the others as surely we need him on a deal.  

Get him on a longer deal as fear his leaving could bite us on the ass.

Contract wise, we exercised his contract in March, so it runs out next summer.  If the club see a future here, or financial return they will extend it, assuming Louis wants to.  He’s had interest from other clubs (Stoke) in the past, when signing from Mangotsfield, plus more rumours in March (Wolves, West Brom).

One to watch contract wise over the next couple of months.

43 minutes ago, CTRed said:

Got to say he’s nowhere near the first team on tonight’s showing. Yes, he scored but didn’t really impact the game in any other way. As a young player here you probably need to do a lot more to get in to the reckoning

Whilst he may be “nowhere near the first team” a centre forwards main impact is to put the ball in the back of the net. Shaun Goater a prime example. It’s the hardest thing to do (as we found continously last year) and the reason clubs pay the big money for centre forwards.

15 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Whilst he may be “nowhere near the first team” a centre forwards main impact is to put the ball in the back of the net. Shaun Goater a prime example. It’s the hardest thing to do (as we found continously last year) and the reason clubs pay the big money for centre forwards.

Indeed. Britton know’s where the back of the net is and seems to be consistently scoring irrespective of what level he is thrown in at (the goal on his professional debut was IMO no fluke..) It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years - hopefully it will be here with us.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Really not sure where this has come from, nor from Gregor….other than people thinking it’s because Diedhiou left and we must sign like for like.  All Nige has said is he wants a striker to put the ball in the back of the net.  I don’t suppose he cares what type that is, other than fitting in with how he wants to play and what he has already.

I think much of this depends on how Nige sees Weimann, Semenyo, Bell and Janneh.  Other than Chris Martin and Nahki Wells, you could argue if the others are seen as wide forwards (Bell and Janneh pre-season have only appeared in wide positions), he 4th choice behind Conway.

Having said that I don’t think the “strikers” are seen in rank order, because it’s about what each brings individually in their playing style.  If we needed a big man per se, you’d argue he is second choice behind Chris Martin.

As it stands he is not first choice, and therefore in the mix with all the others….albeit just coming back from injury.

Contract wise, we exercised his contract in March, so it runs out next summer.  If the club see a future here, or financial return they will extend it, assuming Louis wants to.  He’s had interest from other clubs (Stoke) in the past, when signing from Mangotsfield, plus more rumours in March (Wolves, West Brom).

One to watch contract wise over the next couple of months.

It’s come from Gregor many many times, in addition to the players we have actually been linked to. I could sift through his hundreds and hundreds of tweets to find them, but I really don’t want to. 

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

It’s come from Gregor many many times, in addition to the players we have actually been linked to. I could sift through his hundreds and hundreds of tweets to find them, but I really don’t want to. 

That’s what I mean….why is Gregor suggesting this with every striker rumour, Wickham, M.Smith, K.Davis etc….especially when Nige said “you link us with players I’ve never heard of” (I’m sure he’s not being totally honest).

The rumours are all target man type….yet Nige hasn’t suggested that at all.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That’s what I mean….why is Gregor suggesting this with every striker rumour, Wickham, M.Smith, K.Davis etc….especially when Nige said “you link us with players I’ve never heard of” (I’m sure he’s not being totally honest).

The rumours are all target man type….yet Nige hasn’t suggested that at all.

Of course we’ll be able to understand more a few games into the season, but his seeming preference towards Martin would support this, surely? 

7 minutes ago, James54De said:

Of course we’ll be able to understand more a few games into the season, but his seeming preference towards Martin would support this, surely? 

No idea if I’m being honest.  Think it could be more the availability / fitness of players over pre-season….with Wells (and Kalas) missing Loughborough.

As you say, we will know more in a couple / few weeks.

I doubt a week ago nobody on here thought Kalas wouldn’t pair up with Baker or Atkinson for at least part of the game v Villa and 100% start v Blackpool?

Pearson is a hard man to read.  I like it in a perverse way.

Britton has been injured is behind other players and U23s had games. I’m not sure about any other theory having much credence. 

Britton is a good player and gives you something different to Scott, Bell, Janneh etc, but at this point neither we or Pearson know what is going to fit the team dynamic most effectively. That is just a matter of games, thus currently the 18/11 is a matter of best guess by the experts. 

Pearson is a clever bugger and will mix n match best he can. If someone wants to pay for Nagy, Kalas, Bentley etc etc we MIGHT see another player but I’m not sure it would be a forward anyway as we have shitonnes of them. 

I would expect to see more of the kid after a couple of games, but for the record Pearson does not have a track record of pump long balls to the big man and I’m not holding my breath for one of those coming in outside the one we have which is Britton

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Most natural finisher at the club imo

Helps your tally when you take 3 times as many shots as your strike partners, stack Britton, Bell and Conway on conversion rate and Conway would win

18 hours ago, CTRed said:

Got to say he’s nowhere near the first team on tonight’s showing. Yes, he scored but didn’t really impact the game in any other way. As a young player here you probably need to do a lot more to get in to the reckoning

To be fair, there are plenty of top strikers out there like that. Goater only came alive in the box. I don't think that's a stick to beat him with as long as he's scoring goals. 

He works in the right system, would question the use in 4231 last night though. The u23’s played 433/343 a lot last season so had the likes of Owura Edwards and Janneh outside him which covered his mobility and worked in a unit. Even when they played two up top he was partnered with Conway/Janneh, just the one up top I wouldn’t be sure on. City’s wide players were probably a yard too deep on the press yesterday and weren’t quite getting there in time 

On 03/08/2021 at 19:56, SBB said:

Maybe he’s not quite ready, physically, to play that role in the championship just yet? 

When he came on against Brentford, he flattened one of their players and also scored a goal. Needs to get say 15 minutes at the start increasing each game.  

His physicality is where he would seem to be more able to compete in the championship than Bell or Conway. Those two may have better technical skill and be able to run faster and longer, but I did think they struggled to compete or make an impact in their 1st team appearances. Conway maybe less so, but Bell looked a. it like a boy in a mens game. He did seem a bit more dynamic v Villa though so hopefully he has bulked up a bit.

Britton came on v Brentford and against Pontus Jansson no less and in 15 minutes had flattened both of them, won 3 flick ons and scored a poachers goal at the back post, which is more than Fam did in the last 5 months of the season.

I like him, he seems an old fashioned striker and a bit of a nasty piece of work on the pitch. Off the pitch though, seems a good guy who was happy to spare a couple of hours to pose for pictures and present trophies at the Mangotsfield tournament a few weeks ago!

Very blessed to have Britton, Janneh, Conway and Bell all coming through but going to be tough keeping them all happy!

Britton is a tough one to call re readiness for regular 1st team action.

There is no doubt he knows where the net is.  He’s physical, but I don’t think he’s massive for his age, just bigger than the likes of Conway and Bell.  Importantly he knows how to use his arms and body (gets it from his old man).  There are the obvious factors like his physicality levelling out again experienced CBs, i.e. it becoming less of an asset.

I just think he’s someone you give a chance over a period of games, some starts and some subs….and see what happens.  I don’t think he’s the type of player who you can be sure about either way.

6 hours ago, tin said:

To be fair, there are plenty of top strikers out there like that. Goater only came alive in the box. I don't think that's a stick to beat him with as long as he's scoring goals. 

Goat was the best one on one finisher I have seen. If he got away from the last defender it was nailed on he would do the keeper. 

27 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Goat was the best one on one finisher I have seen. If he got away from the last defender it was nailed on he would do the keeper. 

I assume you didn’t see Cole then?

The Goat was superb, but not in Cole’s league (imho)

Archived