IGNORED

Heading to be phased out in 10 years

MC RISK77

1 minute ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Again how do we expect to see Burnley compete with Man City ?

it’s not right and becomes predictable, boring 

We need clear evidence a list of affected players 

there playing positions so we can know how often they headed the ball 

and what decade they played in

I don't actually disagree with you, I am simply offering a compromise that doesn't outlaw heading altogether but would much prefer football retains heading all over the pitch unless concrete evidence is produced, involving the heading of modern footballs, to suggest it should be greatly reduced or outlawed. 

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Pretty much. We don't use the balls of the 60s and 70s anymore and a few footballers getting dementia? Out of how many? 

As covered about, footballs weigh the same now as they did then, but move a hell of a lot faster. If I’ve considered the reports correctly, 1 in 6 footballers will be impacted by dementia. Think again. 

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The issue I have is there will be multiple matches like Spain vs Sweden at the Euros where one team just has 80% possession and doesn't do much with it. Imagine watching a League 2 game with no heading, it would be a total bore imo

There are plenty of League 2 games with heading that are boring. In fact watching City in the Championship, with heading, last season  was absolutely dire 

3 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

So how do the teams of less technical abilities win back possession of the ball or look to pose a threat from a goal kick or deep free kick,

Think about it … i mean really you must hold all pro footballers at a very very high standard 

Perhaps they could rule that could head ball after a bounce in midfield. I am not wishing for it to be banned completely, but it is likely to "head" that way - I would like to see a compromise proposal

12 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The issue I have is there will be multiple matches like Spain vs Sweden at the Euros where one team just has 80% possession and doesn't do much with it. Imagine watching a League 2 game with no heading, it would be a total bore imo

I cannot disagree with you, but I have advocated heading be only outlawed outside the penalty areas so it would still form an essential part in what I am suggesting should heading need to be reduced.

Just now, James54De said:

As covered about, footballs weigh the same now as they did then, but move a hell of a lot faster. If I’ve considered the reports correctly, 1 in 6 footballers will be impacted by dementia. Think again. 

The footballs do weigh the same but the old balls used to be heavier during the game, soaking up wet pitches making the ball heavier to strike and head.

The documentary that went out came across as an agenda to get the idea in motion to stop heading. Dementia is a very common illness, many people get it including my own Grandfather. 

Lets not get rid of heading and look into ways to make football's more safe

6 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

I’m not downplaying dementia I question the science and want evidence see my past posts ;

Players 

Decade they played in

Did they head the football even remotely a lot in there career? Most games are recorded 

All of this 100% matters Imo

BBC article:

“Experts at Glasgow University have been investigating fears that heading the ball could be linked to brain injuries.

The study began after claims that former West Brom striker Jeff Astle died because of repeated head trauma.

It compared deaths of 7,676 ex-players to 23,000 from the general population. 

The sample was taken from men who played professional football in Scotland, and were born between 1900 and 1976.”

Actual Research Article from Willie Stewart:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/53/6/321.abstract

(If you can’t get access to it but would like to read it, drop me a message and I may be able to send it across to you)

On top of that, if you go onto Google Scholar and search “Football dementia”, or similar, you will find a rapidly growing wealth of information and research on the subject. 

Just now, handsofclay said:

I cannot disagree with you, but I have advocated heading be only outlawed outside the penalty areas so it would still form an essential part in what I am suggesting should heading need to be reduced.

That could be a good solution, I just genuinely think Football would be not changed for the good without heading. Teams identities for good and for bad completely changed and we'd have just every side playing a passing style of game. 

What would happen next is standing tackles would be outlawed or something stupid, then no aggression whatsoever after that

1 minute ago, James54De said:

BBC article:

“Experts at Glasgow University have been investigating fears that heading the ball could be linked to brain injuries.

The study began after claims that former West Brom striker Jeff Astle died because of repeated head trauma.

It compared deaths of 7,676 ex-players to 23,000 from the general population. 

The sample was taken from men who played professional football in Scotland, and were born between 1900 and 1976.”

Actual Research Article from Willie Stewart:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/53/6/321.abstract

(If you can’t get access to it but would like to read it, drop me a message and I may be able to send it across to you)

Other than the potential risk of getting dementia many years after playing, what other positives does removing heading from football matches do? 

Maybe Boxers should punch opponents in the chest in the future?

Just curious to know why you are so passionate for it to go

3 minutes ago, James54De said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/58060644.amp 

One in three ex professional centre half’s will develop a neurodegenerative brain disease by the age of 65. Think about that. 

Everything comes with risk James. My Dad developed dementia in his early 60's and never played any competitive sport in his life.

As a previous poster said, what do we do about rugby or boxing or any other impact sport. Do we just cancel all impact activities?

Do we ban alcohol that increases the risk of cancer?

Its a very emotive subject and i have seen directly how it effects a family, but we have to evaluate risk and people have to make their own choices in life.

Removing heading a ball would destroy the game as we know it. Think about Freekicks, Corners etc, it would become like Field Hockey.

I am worried about banning it for youngsters too because I feel you need to learn to head the ball properly to minimise risk. 

I would also like to know how the research separates the damage from heading a ball from that of a clash of heads in the process, to me the latter is far more dangerous and happens frequently in each 90 minutes.

It’s interesting to hear that the footballs apparently weigh the same as they used to. 

Having played with the Mitre Multiplex in the 90s, it was like heading a lump of concrete when compared with the footballs my lads use today!!!

I find it hard to believe there is no difference despite the weight being the same.

I saw a report not long ago with an ex player from the 60’s(can’t remember who) reporting that during the week he would head the ball hundreds of times in training but on average in a match only 10 times and that to him what needed changing are training routines to lower the risks 

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Other than the potential risk of getting dementia many years after playing, what other positives does removing heading from football matches do? 

Maybe Boxers should punch opponents in the chest in the future?

Just curious to know why you are so passionate for it to go

What the ****. Do you need any other positives. 

You've answered the second highlight with the statement in the first highlight. 

6 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Everything comes with risk James. My Dad developed dementia in his early 60's and never played any competitive sport in his life.

As a previous poster said, what do we do about rugby or boxing or any other impact sport. Do we just cancel all impact activities?

Do we ban alcohol that increases the risk of cancer?

Its a very emotive subject and i have seen directly how it effects a family, but we have to evaluate risk and people have to make their own choices in life.

Of absolute no relevance. There has been a proven link that suggests professional football develop dementia at three times the rate of normal population. That is the point. 

2 hours ago, James54De said:

Heading is already naturally on its way out. Comparing the game of today to that of 20 years ago shows huge differences. To speed up that process for health reasons would be perfect. 

Are you saying players today don’t head the ball as much as they did 20 years ago?! Even though Peter Crouch relatively recently broke the record for the most headed goals ever in the premier league?... I haven’t seen any evidence that “heading is already naturally on its way out” ... it still looks very much part of every game to me, in the way it always has been ...

14 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

So we are talking the 70s at the latest in this research,

End conclusion raise awareness include the science in professional contracts and leave the choice up to the competitors. 

Well, I’m sure professional football are glad that those at the top of the FA seem to have more concern and interest in their welfare then you do. Also, that they are more willing to listen to actual scientists on the impact of the game on them. 

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

Of absolute no relevance. There has been a proven link that suggests professional football develop dementia at three times the rate of normal population. That is the point. 

I don't want to get in to a tit for tat debate with you but if you've ever drank alcohol or eaten red meat then you've statistically increased your risk of developing cancer.

I think the general concensus of this post is that removing heading from football would damage the game, but i respect your opinion if you think differently

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you saying players today don’t head the ball as much as they did 20 years ago?! Even though Peter Crouch relatively recently broke the record for the most headed goals ever in the premier league?... I haven’t seen any evidence that “heading is already naturally on its way out” ... it still looks very much part of every game to me, in the way it always has been ...

By no means backed up with actual statistics, however I’d presume that the football now spend far more time on the floor, then it has done in the past. At least in the UK, I’d assume. Thus, less opportunities to head the balls 

7 minutes ago, James54De said:

How many Footballers have died from dementia through heading since it was a Professional Sport bud if you are such an expert? 

You seem passionate about something that will very much take something from the game that we have all grown up with and loved, course there will be some like me on here who will really not want it gone.

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I don't want to get in to a tit for tat debate with you but if you've ever drank alcohol or eaten red meat then you've statistically increased your risk of developing cancer.

I think the general concensus of this post is that removing heading from football would damage the game, but i respect your opinion if you think differently

Of course, but I don’t eat red meat or drink alcohol for a job. For a career to increase the likelihood of developed a degenerative brain disease by up to 500%, is pretty horrendous. In fact, I’d be interested to know how, now a clear correlation and causation has been established between the job and illness, this fits in with employment law. 

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

Footballers now know the risks of playing football just like boxers have known the risks of boxing

and drivers have known the risks of racing

Wonder how many professional players are going to read these reports 

and think im not chancing it. Im giving up playing football and the pay packets that go with it and im getting a normal job 

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

How many Footballers have died from dementia through heading since it was a Professional Sport bud if you are such an expert? 

You seem passionate about something that will very much take something from the game that we have all grown up with and loved, course there will be some like me on here who will really not want it gone.

I’m not an expert, and it’s comments like such that suggest you’re not in a position to add to the debate. 

Four of the ‘66 winning squad have died from dementia, with 2 more confirmed suffering from it. Rumours are that there is a few more, on top. That’s a squad of 22 players. Over quarter of them have developed dementia. 

Understand now? 

2 minutes ago, James54De said:

I’m not an expert, and it’s comments like such that suggest you’re not in a position to add to the debate. 

Four of the ‘66 winning squad have died from dementia, with 2 more confirmed suffering from it. Rumours are that there is a few more, on top. That’s a squad of 22 players. Over quarter of them have developed dementia. 

Understand now? 

Not patronising at all are you?

So Four elderly people from a Football squad from the 1960s and that is your answer. Many elderly people get dementia who don't play football, it's nature. 

Can you not understand why many of us don't want a drastic change to the game we love?

Archived