IGNORED

Best (and worst) Opening Days of the Season

TomThumb84

I don’t think this has been done yet but if it has apologies and feel free to merge!

Best & Worst Opening Days you have witnessed since supporting City.

I’ll start…..

Best:

1990/91 - City 4-2 Blackburn

Fresh off that wonderful season City dispatched a decent Blackburn that had made the Div.2 play-offs the season before with a swashbuckling display and a couple from God Taylor. Sunny and magical day on the East End. Great times.

Worst:

2010/11 - City 0-3 Millwall

Imagine going into a season with Steve Coppell in charge and England’s current No.1 in goal. Add to that the exciting summer signings of Nicky Hunt and Damion Stewart, and managing to ship out incompetent footballers like Paul Hartley and Bradley Orr, what could possibly go wrong?….

12 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I don’t think this has been done yet but if it has apologies and feel free to merge!

Best & Worst Opening Days you have witnessed since supporting City.

I’ll start…..

Best:

1990/91 - City 4-2 Blackburn

Fresh off that wonderful season City dispatched a decent Blackburn that had made the Div.2 play-offs the season before with a swashbuckling display and a couple from God Taylor. Sunny and magical day on the East End. Great times.

Worst:

2010/11 - City 0-3 Millwall

Imagine going into a season with Steve Coppell in charge and England’s current No.1 in goal. Add to that the exciting summer signings of Nicky Hunt and Damion Stewart, and managing to ship out incompetent footballers like Paul Hartley and Bradley Orr, what could possibly go wrong?….

I remember that blackburn game, we went behind a couple of times they had frank Stapleton playing for them and we had Mark aizlewood and Andy may making their debut for us. Everyone was was positive we'd go up again. Then big Joe left for Hearts. I  think we would of gone up that season if he stayed. If I remember he turned down Villa  how times have changed.

Arsenal 0-1 City

Memories of this game have been done to death ,but if you’d been there it was a very special day.The wurzel no hopers from the West Country coming up to be canon fodder for London royalty.

Too many disappointing starts .Millwall was definitely up there.But for me it was the uninspiring 2-2 drawer hone to Oxford I think98/99. We’d spent millions on two strikers and Sean Dyche at centre half.Expectations we’re so high.We defended so badly,you knew the game was up and another season of mediocrity beckoned.

1 minute ago, Redtrojan said:

Arsenal 0-1 City

Memories of this game have been done to death ,but if you’d been there it was a very special day.The wurzel no hopers from the West Country coming up to be canon fodder for London royalty.

Too many disappointing starts .Millwall was definitely up there.But for me it was the uninspiring 2-2 drawer hone to Oxford I think98/99. We’d spent millions on two strikers and Sean Dyche at centre half.Expectations we’re so high.We defended so badly,you knew the game was up and another season of mediocrity beckoned.

I think that fat bloke from up north who's son plays for Wednesday scored aswell, I can't remember his name.

Best (i'll go for 2):

City 5-0 Notts County. Beautiful hot day, and the Lee Amigos ran riot. 

Sheffield Utd 1-2 City. The start of the title winning campaign, something just felt good after that game. Significant.

Worst: City 0-3 Millwall 2010. Coppell's only League game, huge hype against a newly promoted side and we got stuffed, and looked totally out of sorts. One of the only games I've left early.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Best (i'll go for 2):

City 5-0 Notts County. Beautiful hot day, and the Lee Amigos ran riot. 

Sheffield Utd 1-2 City. The start of the title winning campaign, something just felt good after that game. Significant.

Worst: City 0-3 Millwall 2010. Coppell's only League game, huge hype against a newly promoted side and we got stuffed, and looked totally out of sorts. One of the only games I've left early.

Slightly older than you (I'd guess!) so I'd have to go for Arsenal 1-0 (and I was there!!). 

But I agree that Sheff U one felt like something special - and if I remember right it followed a pretty horrible sequence of visits to Bramall Lane?

Talking of hot days - one away game at Gillingham - not sure if it was first, or maybe first away - when it was so hot they turned the ground watering system onto us all boiling in the open away end - and it was lovely!!

Yep, worst...Millwall. Such high hopes....so quickly dashed!

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, i can still see that from the east end, thought i was going to see portsmouth fans fall backwards over the side of dolman

Remember it from the East End too. A flurry of plastic chairs and flailing limbs all merging into one.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Remember it from the East End too. A flurry of plastic chairs and flailing limbs all merging into one.

Yes, scary, in those days there was the plain brick drop down to pitch level, probably at least 30 foot, with people teetering over the drop against the waist height railings.

When I think of opening day games the one that always springs to mind is Pompey at home in 93.  So excited for that game with the signing of Andy Cole in the summer.  Great game and great atmosphere.

Gillingham away in 96 is not remembered fondly as I had a banging hangover and I’m sure we got beat 3-2 with Akinbiyi playing a blinder.

Really not sure what to expect on Saturday but just happy to be back at the Gate.  COYR.

Archived