IGNORED

Best (and worst) Opening Days of the Season

TomThumb84

Back in the early 70s the recently relegated Sunderland, giants then, played at the Gate in a 4-3 thriller on the opening day of the season. I’m pretty sure Ken Wimshurst scored the winner in the last seconds…a brilliant goal from one of Alan Dicks best signings.

41 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I don’t remember many good first days of the season to be honest? Barnsley at home recently maybe….

3-0 up after 20 minutes if I remember rightly.

I was thinking of this game, Fammys debut and Reid’s first start in a more advanced role wasn’t it? We looked pretty good

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Another cracker was the 3/3 with Pompy,Jacki and Cole up front. Wouldn't be a bad strike force for Saturday!!!!!

Was that the one where Jacki flicked the ball over his head ( the Ardiles ) in front of the open end? Really sunny day I seem to remember, great first game of the season. Was in the open end myself that day. What a strike force. COYR 

8 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

2001 I believe, a masterclass in box-finishing from a razor sharp Tony Thorpe. 3-0 up in half hour

Great thread mate!

There are a couple of first games after promotions that I enjoyed. 

Beating Blackburn 4-2 in 1990 with crucial goals from super Bob Taylor 

https://www-bristolpost-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/how-bristol-city-made-major-3636722.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16281128896351&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bristolpost.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fhow-bristol-city-made-major-3636722

I also remember being really excited when Soren Anderson bagged 2 against Oxford in 98. At that stage I was convinced we were going to have a great season...

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I don’t think this has been done yet but if it has apologies and feel free to merge!

Best & Worst Opening Days you have witnessed since supporting City.

I’ll start…..

Best:

1990/91 - City 4-2 Blackburn

Fresh off that wonderful season City dispatched a decent Blackburn that had made the Div.2 play-offs the season before with a swashbuckling display and a couple from God Taylor. Sunny and magical day on the East End. Great times.

Worst:

2010/11 - City 0-3 Millwall

Imagine going into a season with Steve Coppell in charge and England’s current No.1 in goal. Add to that the exciting summer signings of Nicky Hunt and Damion Stewart, and managing to ship out incompetent footballers like Paul Hartley and Bradley Orr, what could possibly go wrong?….

These are exactly the ones I’d pick. In the Blackburn game Nicky Morgan scored with a header after a brilliant burst down the wing by Dave Smith. Great goal that I’ll always remember.

The Millwall game was thoroughly depressing after the high of Coppell’s appointment. It was clear that things were very wrong just from Coppell’s demeanour. 

47 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

2001 I believe, a masterclass in box-finishing from a razor sharp Tony Thorpe. 3-0 up in half hour

I remember the stewards trying to get everyone to sit down, they finally managed it….. then literally 30 secs later THORPE! yeeeeeeeeesssssss :)

5 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I don’t think this has been done yet but if it has apologies and feel free to merge!

I’ll start…..

Best:

Fresh off that wonderful season City dispatched a decent Blackburn that had made the Div.2 play-offs the season before with a swashbuckling display and a couple from God Taylor. Sunny and magical day on the East End. Great times.

Worst:

Imagine going into a season with Steve Coppell in charge and England’s current No.1 in goal. Add to that the exciting summer signings of Nicky Hunt and Damion Stewart, and managing to ship out incompetent footballers like Paul Hartley and Bradley Orr, what could possibly go wrong?….

As soon as I saw the title of the thread these were exactly the same fixtures I immediately thought of.

If I couldn’t pick these 2 for best and worst I’d say...

Best: 3-3 against Pompey 93ish I think. Entertaining game and pre match entertainment included in the Dolman Stand.

Worst: 0-3 Ipswich. 

11 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I’ll start…..

Best:

Worst:

I was at both those games, the Blackburn one it was blazing sun from my memory and a great game and performance!  Millwall was when we realised all was not what it seemed!

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Great thread mate!

There are a couple of first games after promotions that I enjoyed. 

Beating Blackburn 4-2 in 1990 with crucial goals from super Bob Taylor 

https://www-bristolpost-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/how-bristol-city-made-major-3636722.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16281128896351&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bristolpost.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fhow-bristol-city-made-major-3636722

I also remember being really excited when Soren Anderson bagged 2 against Oxford in 98. At that stage I was convinced we were going to have a great season...

Reading that article I have no memory of signings Andy May and Murray Jones?  Did they ever play?

edit: a quick google shows Murray Jones never played but Andy May had 90 appearances!  Wow, I have no memory of him at all!

10 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

When I think of opening day games the one that always springs to mind is Pompey at home in 93.  So excited for that game with the signing of Andy Cole in the summer.  Great game and great atmosphere.

Gillingham away in 96 is not remembered fondly as I had a banging hangover and I’m sure we got beat 3-2 with Akinbiyi playing a blinder.

Really not sure what to expect on Saturday but just happy to be back at the Gate.  COYR.

We went to that Gills match. Pretty sure that we were 2-1 up, after 79(?) minutes.

Same old City.

44 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Reading that article I have no memory of signings Andy May and Murray Jones?  Did they ever play?

edit: a quick google shows Murray Jones never played but Andy May had 90 appearances!  Wow, I have no memory of him at all!

Andy May was decent for us. Took a good pen too I recall.

Louie Donowa was not half-bad either but having replaced one of my all time heroes in Mark Gavin, in my immaturity at the time, I never took to him like I should!

11 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Best....Tony Thorpe treble on opening day at Northampton.

Worst....Leeds wasn't exactly fun...

I was sitting in the main stand in. Northampton that day, having to sit on my hands as Thorpe scored his hat-trick.  At half-time I discovered that the bloke next to me, who was equally quietly, was also a City fan…

Archived