IGNORED

Best (and worst) Opening Days of the Season

TomThumb84

That 3-3 in 92/93 v Pompey was absolute cracker. Back in days when Evening Post did match ratings it got the only 5 star rating I ever read. Jacki, Morgan and Cole v Guy Whittingham.  Unbelievable attacking options for each side.. and from the Dolman Stand too.  

That team should have done so much better - Jacki, Cole, Rosenior, Morgan, Shelton, Melon, Scott.. 

Worst game will always be Millwall 0-3..  I still remember the text 3-4 days later from Adam B that said ‘Good luck’ and 2 mins later Coppell had gone.  The peak of OTIB meltdowns 

Best - City 4 Blackburn 2 was a classic.  I remember the 2-0 win at Wrexham a few years back.  I believe it was the first opening day win for about 14 years!  

Worst - start of the 87/88 maybe.  Lost at home to Mansfield with Owers scoring for them. (I may be wrong about this one).  Millwall still grates, it was clear there were major problems behind the scenes.......

Cracking thread btw!!

I think the 3-0 Milwall loss was on a par with the first game back in the Championship after the Cott’s promotion season…there was a certain air of hope and expectation due to a new manager with Steve Coppell, and then with Cott’s the prospect of the new season and new signings. On both occasions there was also a strange feeling borne out by the body language and behaviour of each manager on that first day, all was not what it seemed…

Brentford, and Luke Freeman got sent off! I seemed to remember receiving a text saying that one of our new hopes had left the club with immediate effect just before the game began? We were joking about a new player being announced at half time…? but it all began to unravel from that day forward.

A few that people haven't mentioned..

Southend away 1991.. hoardes of city fans, some got in for free.

Wolves 1993ish.. home fans sat above us, throwing missiles down.

Grimsby, promotion season.. Torpey injured on his debut.

Blackpool 2008.. Brooker scored at the death, absolute scenes.

27 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think the 3-0 Milwall loss was on a par with the first game back in the Championship after the Cott’s promotion season…there was a certain air of hope and expectation due to a new manager with Steve Coppell, and then with Cott’s the prospect of the new season and new signings. On both occasions there was also a strange feeling borne out by the body language and behaviour of each manager on that first day, all was not what it seemed…

Brentford, and Luke Freeman got sent off! I seemed to remember receiving a text saying that one of our new hopes had left the club with immediate effect just before the game began? We were joking about a new player being announced at half time…? but it all began to unravel from that day forward.

The Brentford game was our 2nd match, but first home game. We were actually looking very good until Freeman got sent off and then we capitulated. 

The first game of that season was at Sheffield Wednesday and we easily got beat 2-0. Something didn't seem right, we then lost to Luton in the League cup 3-1 in the week who were then in League 2.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

The Brentford game was our 2nd match, but first home game. We were actually looking very good until Freeman got sent off and then we capitulated. 

The first game of that season was at Sheffield Wednesday and we easily got beat 2-0. Something didn't seem right, we then lost to Luton in the League cup 3-1 in the week who were then in League 2.

Thanks. I suppose I forget about the away games unless I’d been there!

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thanks. I suppose I forget about the away games unless I’d been there!

I still think back to that Brentford game and how much momentum plays in a season. We were - until the red card - playing with the style and freedom of the previous season. I often think had we gone on to win that we’d have stayed up comfortably with Cotts and maybe even touched on play offs. Everything fell down that day 

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

I still think back to that Brentford game and how much momentum plays in a season. We were - until the red card - playing with the style and freedom of the previous season. I often think had we gone on to win that we’d have stayed up comfortably with Cotts and maybe even touched on play offs. Everything fell down that day 

That’s how I remember it too. We played well, with Kodjia looking dangerous, and that sending off was the turning point in that game. 

Your point about momentum reminds me of an early game in the 98-99 relegation season - we conceded a very late equaliser away at QPR and I remember thinking that had we held out for the win that season might have ended up differently. 

Archived