IGNORED

Those No Longer Here

Silvio Dante

This might be too short notice, but I was just thinking. Saturday will be an emotional day for a lot of reasons - but the biggest of all is that there will be empty seats where someone’s brother, father, mother, friend would have been sat when we played Fulham. They, and we, wouldn’t have known it would be the last time they’d be at the gate.

I fully and rightly expect a minutes applause for TC before the game. However, in normal times when a red passes, you’ll see applause in a certain minute. There’s too many of us fallen in the last year for that.

I wonder if it might be appropriate for the club to put peoples names/photos on the screen for a period before the game (say 2:45) to allow for a sustained period of applause - include Hunter, TC etc. It seems short notice but would also seem a really strong gesture and acknowledgment of the fans and could be arranged through Twitter/FB appeals.

@JerrySLO?

1 minute ago, Marco the red said:

I appreciate that football is emotional for people who have lost ones especially who they went to games with. But for me I want to go to watch the football, an applause before the game for TC yes, but not members of the public because when will it ever stop? 

So without being dismissive or rude I would rather this didn't happen.

I do usually agree that suggestions for minutes applause for individual fans (that 99.9% of those in attendance didn't know personally) who sadly pass away dilutes the meaningfulness of it. However I think seeing as this is the first game back after such a long time this would be fairly poignant and tasteful. 

I like the idea of a once a season minutes applause for fans that pass away. Think this is a nice idea along the same lines. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I do usually agree that suggestions for minutes applause for individual fans (that 99.9% of those in attendance didn't know personally) who sadly pass away dilutes the meaningfulness of it. However I think seeing as this is the first game back after such a long time this would be fairly poignant and tasteful. 

I like the idea of a once a season minutes applause for fans that pass away. Think this is a nice idea along the same lines. 

I think that’s what I’m kind of angling at. I think a once a year “memoriam” is a great idea, and this probably feels the right time for it IMO

3 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

I think once a year is reasonable ghe only thing is, especially this year, lots of fans will have died so how would they do it without it going on for like ages.

It only has to be a minute or perhaps two, I don't think anyone was suggesting a minute per fan. I think the original idea would be for those names to flash up on the screens in the 15 mins before kick-off - then a collective minute or two's applause to remember all those that have passed including Terry Cooper. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

It only has to be a minute or perhaps two, I don't think anyone was suggesting a minute per fan. I think the original idea would be for those names to flash up on the screens in the 15 mins before kick-off - then a collective minute or two's applause to remember all those that have passed including Terry Cooper. 

Yes - that’s exactly what I was thinking. Done before the game, finishing with TC.

I remember when we played at Brighton a couple of seasons ago they had a end of season thing with pictures of those who’d passed throughout the year on the big screen with some music which was a nice touch and seemed a better way of doing it than on a ad hoc basis

It would’ve been nice to have done something similar for Saturday but there probably isn’t enough time for that now but it worth looking into for the last home game 

I'm  entirely with Marco on this; Yes for significant players eg Hunter Cooper but certainly not for individual members of the public. More people have dies every season in wars, car accidents etc so we shouldnt set precedents for flu, Covid, other bugs.

I also hope the crowd dont kneel before K.O - its a game of football so hopefully we can help the game get back to its roots and just get on with it. Respect your idea OP but cant agree with it

It’s been a really long time without fans & whether Covid related or not, sadly a fair number who were around when we played Fulham are no longer with us.

It is absolutely the right thing to do to mark this on Saturday, as already said ending with a tribute to Terry Cooper.

4 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I'm  entirely with Marco on this; Yes for significant players eg Hunter Cooper but certainly not for individual members of the public. More people have dies every season in wars, car accidents etc so we shouldnt set precedents for flu, Covid, other bugs.

I also hope the crowd dont kneel before K.O - its a game of football so hopefully we can help the game get back to its roots and just get on with it. Respect your idea OP but cant agree with it

Why would they? You do come out with complete rubbish.

5 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I think you've misunderstood the idea. The applause/silence or similar would be dedicated to those that have passed away for whatever reason. It's more poignant now because of the gap since the last home game with fan attendance and the global pandemic which has cost many lives.

Before the game the names of those that have passed away would flash up on screen. I don't think this idea delays or inconveniences anyone - but would be a tasteful and poignant reminder of the human element of attending matches.

Going to football isn't just about watching the team, it's about the experience you share with people. 

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I seem to remember that happened at least once when DaveL was announcer, and, not surprisingly, it was quite a list.

Over the last few seasons there has been a trend for relatives and friends to ask for applause at a certain minute of a game and at one stage it was happening at almost every match.

Unfortunately City fans die every week and as much as I empathise with the bereaved, and am always sorry to hear about the passing of City fans both on here and the EP (where it seems to have become a 'thing' in the last few years to include the team an individual supported in a write up of their passing) it is probably too much to ask the crowd to so regularly pay tribute to individuals in this way however much the family feel the fan deserved it.

The club making it known there will be an end of season period of reflection and appreciation in tribute to all fans who have died during the season is the better way to go imo.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I seem to remember that happened at least once when DaveL was announcer, and, not surprisingly, it was quite a list.

Over the last few seasons there has been a trend for relatives and friends to ask for applause at a certain minute of a game and at one stage it was happening at almost every match.

Unfortunately City fans die every week and as much as I empathise with the bereaved, and am always sorry to hear about the passing of City fans both on here and the EP (where it seems to have become a 'thing' in the last few years to include the team an individual supported in a write up of their passing) it is probably too much to ask the crowd to so regularly pay tribute to individuals in this way however much the family feel the fan deserved it.

The club making it known there will be an end of season period of reflection and appreciation in tribute to all fans who have died during the season is the better way to go imo.

The suggestion was once a season.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think you’re on the same page as most of us Noggers - I fully agree that the applause, when it happens per game, can be a little off putting, lose its impact and also has ironically potential to be divisive where people think “why not my…”

I totally think an end of season acknowledgment is the best thing going forward, before the last home game. I think that’s all I’m suggesting - but for, in this particular case, it to happen on Saturday in view of it being the first game for 16 months. In an ideal world, it would have happened pre Brentford. 

The poignancy of the day with us all being back just seems to make it fitting for me - but agreed, once a season before final game moving forward is the way to go.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed - several times a season is obviously excessive and dilutes the meaning of it. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that though. I'm not even convinced reading out the names is the best idea - I think the original suggestion of once a season and pictures/names on the big screen 15 mins before kick-off would be tasteful and proportionate. 

Without meaning to be rude, I'm not sure if you've fully read/grasped what the OP was suggesting because it certainly wasn't regular applauses or silences to mark fans passing away.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My thoughts exactly. Then you can shut your eyes and think of your loved one, good friend etc, and imagine the applause is just for them.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The poignancy of the day with us all being back just seems to make it fitting for me - but agreed, once a season before final game moving forward is the way to go.

I agree that the first home game this season should be a special case, and be treated the same as the regular end of season tribute already suggested moving forward.

If there is time to arrange it for Saturday then I'm all for it - fans fully deserve this recognition imo, and those in the ground would welcome an organised opportunity to show their appreciation.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Morning Nakhi. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I remember going to Brighton last game of the season and they have a photo montage of people who had passed away during the season, it was really emotional seeing those of differing ages who had passed. I think something like this would be poignant for the first game back. 

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed - several times a season is obviously excessive and dilutes the meaning of it. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that though. I'm not even convinced reading out the names is the best idea - I think the original suggestion of once a season and pictures/names on the big screen 15 mins before kick-off would be tasteful and proportionate. 

Without meaning to be rude, I'm not sure if you've fully read/grasped what the OP was suggesting because it certainly wasn't regular applauses or silences to mark fans passing away.

The point is applause during games for individual fans is what often happens now.

I grasped perfectly well what Silvio said, and for the most part fully agree with him.

To be clear I'm in favour of the club attempting to phase out the individual minutes of applause within games by publicising it's intention to instead  organise an end of season tribute to all fans who have died during the season. 

I'm also in favour of a tribute on Saturday to all fans who have died since we were last able to assemble at AG.

Hope that's clear.

Btw, I'm sure the reading out of a list of names by DL was before the big screens were in place. It's not something I was advocating going forward.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The point is applause during games for individual fans is what often happens now.

I think it's happened a few times but doesn't work that well because lots of fans have no idea what it's for. Inevitably most don't know the individual fan which makes the whole thing lose it's meaning.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm in favour of the club attempting to phase out the individual minutes of applause within games by publicising it's intention to instead  organise an end of season tribute to all fans who have died during the season. 

I'm also in favour of a tribute on Saturday to all fans who have died since we were last able to assemble at AG.

Yep I think that's the best approach. 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This might be too short notice, but I was just thinking. Saturday will be an emotional day for a lot of reasons - but the biggest of all is that there will be empty seats where someone’s brother, father, mother, friend would have been sat when we played Fulham. They, and we, wouldn’t have known it would be the last time they’d be at the gate.

I fully and rightly expect a minutes applause for TC before the game. However, in normal times when a red passes, you’ll see applause in a certain minute. There’s too many of us fallen in the last year for that.

I wonder if it might be appropriate for the club to put peoples names/photos on the screen for a period before the game (say 2:45) to allow for a sustained period of applause - include Hunter, TC etc. It seems short notice but would also seem a really strong gesture and acknowledgment of the fans and could be arranged through Twitter/FB appeals.

@JerrySLO?

Yes...lost my Dad a couple months ago after a battle with cancer. Mum going through the same now. Been the worst two years of my life when you add covid.

It's really going to hit home when the season starts as talking/watching/listening with Dad about City and footy in general was a big part of our life together.

I feel for anyone who's had similar experiences since lock down.

They'll all be missed.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Yes...lost my Dad a couple months ago after a battle with cancer. Mum going through the same now. Been the worst two years of my life when you add covid.

It's really going to hit home when the season starts as talking/watching/listening with Dad about City and footy in general was a big part of our life together.

They'll all be missed.

Spud, I managed to get back to the UK 18 months ago when my dad died. I always remember the home matches my dad took to me too in the early 70,s then some away ones like Oxford, West Brom, West Ham, Coventry and the list goes on. My mum now in Stockwood is getting on a bit and im desperate to get back. I fully understand how emotional you must feel. It is a challenging time for all. Be positive.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

They'll all be missed.

Sorry to hear that Spud.

Losing a parent knocks you for six however old you are and I found the familiarity and continuity of going to AG a great comfort after each of my parents died.

All the best to you mate. 

30 minutes ago, City oz said:

Spud, I managed to get back to the UK 18 months ago when my dad died. I always remember the home matches my dad took to me too in the early 70,s then some away ones like Oxford, West Brom, West Ham, Coventry and the list goes on. My mum now in Stockwood is getting on a bit and im desperate to get back. I fully understand how emotional you must feel. It is a challenging time for all. Be positive.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sorry to hear that Spud.

Losing a parent knocks you for six however old you are and I found the familiarity and continuity of going to AG a great comfort after each of my parents died.

All the best to you mate. 

Thanks for the kind words and positivity. Much appreciated. I'm sure others have been through the same if not worse. 

There certainly isn't a book on how it will effect you. Each of us handle it different I guess. 

Mother is at end of life stage, so losing both in the space of 6 months after long battles is certainly going to be testing. It's not just the emotional feelings, but the paperwork and time needed for personal affects. It's never ending.

Add to that Covid, and that because of delayed action in hospitals due to that, they could have both been given longer with operations it's certainly been frustrating.

I feel for all who are going through or been through similar. 

Can't thank the NHS and carers enough. We are lucky to have it.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

There doesn’t even have to be a list of names or photos on the screen. Just an opportunity to think about those no longer with us

An announcement that we remember all the City fans who've left us since they last attended AG and  mention by name players/managers who passed. 

Then a minutes applause. 

Obviously will need semaphore for fans in the Dolman! 

Archived