IGNORED

Sports Bar rebrand

CyderInACan

16 minutes ago, Laner said:

How times have changed... wasn't Ferguson one of the loudest opponents of the stadium developments? But happy to use it to promote one of his businesses?

Ferguson opposed Ashton Vale but supported the refurbishment of Ashton Gate.

In hindsight he was right & probably understood that under planning law we were never going to get AV done.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Laner said:

How times have changed... wasn't Ferguson one of the loudest opponents of the stadium developments? But happy to use it to promote one of his businesses?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Ferguson opposed Ashton Vale but supported the refurbishment of Ashton Gate.

In hindsight he was right & probably understood that under planning law we were never going to get AV done.

George Ferguson didn’t object to City moving to Ashton Vale, he objected to a Sainsbury’s supermarket being built at Ashton Gate. He proposed some other development, but never actually offered to buy the ground to facilitate thus development. He’s now one of the people objecting to Bristol Zoo selling its current site for housing to enable it to move to Cribbs Causeway. Again, he likes an alternative option for the site but isn’t actually putting up any cash. He’s full of “brilliant” ideas as long as someone else pays 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

George Ferguson didn’t object to City moving to Ashton Vale, he objected to a Sainsbury’s supermarket being built at Ashton Gate. He proposed some other development, but never actually offered to buy the ground to facilitate thus development. He’s now one of the people objecting to Bristol Zoo selling its current site for housing to enable it to move to Cribbs Causeway. Again, he likes an alternative option for the site but isn’t actually putting up any cash. He’s full of “brilliant” ideas as long as someone else pays 

Many in BS3 objected to the superstore. Mr Lansdown did not need to sell Ashton Gate to Sainsburys for twenty million pounds. Mr Lansdown has spent tens of millions of pounds more redeveloping Ashton Gate. It was a spurious claim - A few bad signings and wages over seasons and City make plenty of those. 

Edited by Cowshed

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Can’t remember seeing this anywhere but the Sports Bar has now been rebranded after our new deal with George Ferguson’s Bristol Beer Factory, who are literally just at the end of Ashton Rd  

image.jpeg

Have I missed something does it actually say independence. What is that all about ?? Why not just sports bar,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Many in BS3 objected to the superstore. Mr Lansdown did not need to sell Ashton Gate to Sainsburys for twenty million pounds. Mr Lansdown has spent tens of millions of pounds more redeveloping Ashton Gate. It was a spurious claim - A few bad signings and wages over seasons and City make plenty of those. 

That all seems like a lifetime ago now, doesn't it. So glad we stayed at AG - and with the new redevelopment it should be even better and an huge asset for BS3. 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Have I missed something does it actually say independence. What is that all about ?? Why not just sports bar,

One of the brands of beer from the Bristol Beer Factory mate  

https://www.bristolbeerfactory.co.uk/collections/all-beers/products/independence?variant=39680938115222

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That all seems like a lifetime ago now, doesn't it. So glad we stayed at AG - and with the new redevelopment it should be even better and an huge asset for BS3. 

Yes. And its turned out well. And turning into a very well. Move on. Forget silly grudges. The commercial department clearly have. Grow the asset and in this case with local business. A good thing.   

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It's not his responsibility to fund anything. But as someone with an interest and a degree of expertise in town planning and regeneration, he's entitled to suggest alternative uses for the zoo's current site if in his view, and it's a view worth respecting (though not necessarily agreeing with) given his knowledge of the subject matter, there are better options than housing. 

To suggest you can't object to the zoo becoming flats, or any other planning proposal for that matter, unless you have the funds to pay for an alternative is absurd.    

I'm sure you can see that, so can only assume you just don't like Ferguson. Which is fair enough but just say so. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 10

48 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

On a similar note, anyone know what’s happened to the rising sun?

all boarded up 

I was there for the semis and the final and it was rammed. The old bill came knocking during the Italy game and I wander if this has resulted in the owners being forced out 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

On a similar note, anyone know what’s happened to the rising sun?

all boarded up 

Closed down two weeks ago, best not to go into too much detail about what happened on an open forum, but it's a similar story around pubs what has happened

• Hmmm 1

58 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Let's be honest, SL was never going to be out of pocket whether AG or AV was developed.

AV stadium  = Ashton Gate sold to Sainsburys for millions

AG stadium = Ashton Vale has hundreds of homes built on it making millions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It’s all very well say SL didn’t need to sell Ashton Gate for £20m as it’s not your money. He was planning to spend far more building Ashton Vale than he subsequently spent redeveloping Ashton Gate (Ashton Vale budget approx £92m v Ashton Gate redevelop approx £50n). Although he’s a millionaire (billionaire?) he was entitled to recover some of the costs of moving grounds. I can’t imagine any football club owner who, if they we’re planning a ground move, would ignore the prospect of recouping £20m by selling the old ground 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Posset red said:

Strange I went and seen russle Howard concert on the 10th of July and after had to go to the coopers for a beer after the show as the rising sun was shut down. I must just be making it up 

And I must be making it up too that I went in there for the final. Another posted above has said the same thing. 

Shame though, decent pub.

2 minutes ago, Ecko said:

And I must be making it up too that I went in there for the final. Another posted above has said the same thing. 

Shame though, decent pub.

Strange the told me in the coopers it had been shut for a while as I was suprised it wasn’t open. They said something along the lines of it had been shut for a little while and letting people in unofficially. I assumed it shut because of lost revenue to football. By the sounds of it there’s clearly another reason looking at another posters comment

• Admin
1 hour ago, Posset red said:

Strange I went and seen russle Howard concert on the 10th of July and after had to go to the coopers for a beer after the show as the rising sun was shut down. I must just be making it up 

Shut down or closed?

It has those metal shutters across the windows now

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

It’s all very well say SL didn’t need to sell Ashton Gate for £20m as it’s not your money. He was planning to spend far more building Ashton Vale than he subsequently spent redeveloping Ashton Gate (Ashton Vale budget approx £92m v Ashton Gate redevelop approx £50n). Although he’s a millionaire (billionaire?) he was entitled to recover some of the costs of moving grounds. I can’t imagine any football club owner who, if they we’re planning a ground move, would ignore the prospect of recouping £20m by selling the old ground 

The point was Mr Lansdown made assertions. Assertions that were not true and balanced. As another poster points out he was not going to be out of pocket.