IGNORED

Mansion Bet profanity

Agard Days Night

3 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Serious knicker twisting on here, yes it’s a bit out of order using the C word. 

But it is a betting site for over 18s.

It’s a betting company that sponsor my football club (and others I think) that have a bit more of a moral obligation to not tweet stuff like this.

It doesn’t offend me, but I still think it’s inappropriate.

3 hours ago, Fuber said:

Ultimately this is a betting firm (i.e. 18+) aiming at an adult audience on a social media platform where the minimum age is the same.

While I agree the tweet is poor taste, and they likely could have used a differing bootlegger clip, can't say I really see the issue.

Not exactly as if Lego has gone and posted it.

Twitter is 13.

It’s unprofessional, but is it really worth the uproar? Saw this all before when they used a picture of Dean Windass when discussing play-off goals, the admin hasn’t thought it through and it’s been deleted.

Calling for the club to cut all ties with them over a tweet is ridiculous :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Talking about it doesn't mean people are being "sensitive" btw. 

Agree with this statement. I think people are over reacting by saying people are over reacting, it's just a discussion FFS ?

Isn't the world a very odd place to live right now?

You literally can't say, joke, imply anything without someone being offended.

Hasn't it gone too far?

I get finding a solution to bullying and causing distress...but are we now no longer able to joke?

I find it amusing that people can be pompous about something that is joked about 'officially'...but more than likely go down the pub and joke with abandon without judgement ?

Call yourself a comedian...stand on stage and say whatever you want, and people will pay ££££'s to laugh with you....then walk outside and tell your mate you can't say the same in public ???

It's a fecked up world.

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

Isn't the world a very odd place to live right now?

Hasn't it gone too far?

I get finding a solution to bullying and causing distress...but are we now no longer able to joke?

I find it amusing that people can be pompous about something that is joked about 'officially'...but more than likely go down the pub and joke with abandon without judgement ?

Call yourself a comedian...stand on stage and say whatever you want, and people will pay ££££'s to laugh with you....then walk outside and tell your mate you can't say the same in public ???

It's a fecked up world.

Who’s offended?  Many of us just think it’s completely unprofessional

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

like Ricky Gervais take on it.

People say "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the **** you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a **** or not. And so on. It's a good system.

People take offence with any/every thing now. You say one thing you're a snowflake, then the same people calling them snowflakes get upset about  a comeback and get called gammon's.  As you say, very odd place.

I've just read through the thread and can't see anyone being offended here.

Personally I'm a big fan of 'the c-word', due to it being big, clever, hard and interesting, as all schoolboys well know.

That said, any business that thinks it a good idea to use it as part of their marketing / social media output is a daft ******* **** imo. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's my point...you can say one thing as public, another as business, another as an individual.

You can be a 'Professional' comedian and say whatever you want. Public will pay and laugh. 

Say the same thing outside of that and it's ' Unprofessional'.

See the Gervais comment that 1960mannn put up ...it's spot on.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's my point...you can say one thing as public, another as business, another as an individual.

You can be a 'Professional' comedian and say whatever you want. Public will pay and laugh. 

Say the same thing outside of that and it's ' Unprofessional'.

See the Gervais comment that 1960mannn put up ...it's spot on.

Ricky Gervais doesn’t sponsor a football club with a fan base that is wide and varied in its age, sensibilities and humour. 

1 minute ago, Agard Days Night said:

Ricky Gervais doesn’t sponsor a football club with a fan base that is wide and varied in its age, sensibilities and humour. 

I think you're missing the point...being...people being put out regarding Mansion comment and commenting, are typical of many situations, where they voice their displeasure, but are just as likely to joke about it down pub with mates, or laugh at the likes of Ricky Gervais if he were to joke about it in his professional manner.

It's hypocritical...and something witnessed day to day.

1 hour ago, PhilC said:

Agree with this statement. I think people are over reacting by saying people are over reacting, it's just a discussion FFS ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

41 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Personally I'm a big fan of 'the c-word', due to it being big, clever, hard and interesting, as all schoolboys well know.

That said, any business that thinks it a good idea to use it as part of their marketing / social media output is a daft ******* **** imo. 

Exactly - a few people in this thread who weirdly seem desperate for others to be ‘upset’ about this. Despite bemoaning how ‘sensitive’ people are these days. Very strange.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They'd almost certainly have a content plan that would be approved for a company of that size

You’d think so, wouldn’t you. But having managed social media accounts for companies larger than this (and having worked in marketing for betting & gaming) a lot of what they do is reactive and probably would be left at the discretion of the social media “manager”, if that’s even what the person’s primary job role is.

48 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

As any fule kno - Nigel Molesworth

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly - a few people in this thread who weirdly seem desperate for others to be ‘upset’ about this. Despite bemoaning how ‘sensitive’ people are these days. Very strange.

Don't you think it's more ' weird' how people find time to comment on such things, that in the big picture of life's struggles, mean very little?

Tbh...taking the time to comment on forums is properly really weird if you think about it.

Using your words...'strange and weird'.... probably sums up forums tbh.

It seems to be a place on all fronts, not just this one, where certain people feel they are able to engage with people properly, yet struggle face to face.

Seen it first hand a couple times where the forum user is eloquent online but socially inept in real life.

Say one thing and with knowledge online but in real life pretty much mute or no opinion.

Point being...online and real life seem to be north and south and getting worse.e

53 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think you're missing the point...being...people being put out regarding Mansion comment and commenting, are typical of many situations, where they voice their displeasure, but are just as likely to joke about it down pub with mates, or laugh at the likes of Ricky Gervais if he were to joke about it in his professional manner.

It's hypocritical...and something witnessed day to day.

Not sure I agree.

A mate might share something like this and I would most likely smile at it. If the Bristol City official site did I would find it inappropriate...that it was being shared from that source. Not the content.

I don’t think it makes me a hypocrite, maybe it does, don’t know.

There is I agree seemingly people desperate to be the offended by things nowadays. It is hypocritical to say publicly ‘I find this content offensive’ whilst joking privately about much worse. Just not sure this falls under that heading, or that is the point people have issues with here.

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Not sure I agree.

A mate might share something like this and I would most likely smile at it. If the Bristol City official site did I would find it inappropriate...that it was being shared from that source. Not the content.

I don’t think it makes me a hypocrite, maybe it does, don’t know.

There is I agree seemingly people desperate to be the offended by things nowadays. It is hypocritical to say publicly ‘I find this content offensive’ whilst joking privately about much worse. Just not sure this falls under that heading, or that is the point people have issues with here.

And your thinking and questioning speaks volumes.

It's a situation most face day to day. Depending on your circumstances.

I'm self employed, answer to no one, and literally laugh daily at what life throws at us.

I've not got HR or colleagues constantly looking for a reason to be offended.

I do however meet a bunch of people from all walks of life...who all seem to say the same thing...that we are being told what to say and think, that is pretty much different to what the man on the street thinks.

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't you think it's more ' weird' how people find time to comment on such things, that in the big picture of life's struggles, mean very little?

Tbh...taking the time to comment on forums is properly really weird if you think about it.

Using your words...'strange and weird'.... probably sums up forums tbh.

It seems to be a place on all fronts, not just this one, where certain people feel they are able to engage with people properly, yet struggle face to face.

Seen it first hand a couple times where the forum user is eloquent online but socially inept in real life.

Say one thing and with knowledge online but in real life pretty much mute or no opinion.

Point being...online and real life seem to be north and south and getting worse.e

Not really. I think it’s reasonable to mention this as it’s a fairly unusual tweet for a pretty large and supposedly professional bookmaker to make. Were you able to see the original video to get the full context? 

Archived