IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

They are rebuilding, but I think the expectation was promotion this season.  With the costs incurred in fees and especially wages, I’m not sure they can spend 2 seasons in Lg1 under the new set-up.

Correct, even at League 1 level, 19 incoming is going to be too large a cost to finish 10th………and if they do fail this year that puts Swiss right under the pump because those American owners will know that another failure next season will be an unmitigated disaster and it won’t be the 1st Team Manager explaining wtf has happened.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They are rebuilding, but I think the expectation was promotion this season.  With the costs incurred in fees and especially wages, I’m not sure they can spend 2 seasons in Lg1 under the new set-up.

I believe from an Ipswich buddy the message from Ashton was very clear that they don't 'need' to go up this season. You've got to question that now Cook has gone. 

Either way I suspect the owners have the cash for 2 seasons at league one, but any longer and surely FFP will come into play very quickly too. If they're anything but top 6 early next season, the unrest and pressure will increase and you can see things unraveling very quickly for them and by extension MA, who I also suspect won't have the same leeway there that he got here.

Sounds already like his penchant for spending other people's money is getting him in trouble again. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I believe from an Ipswich buddy the message from Ashton was very clear that they don't 'need' to go up this season. You've got to question that now Cook has gone. 

Either way I suspect the owners have the cash for 2 seasons at league one, but any longer and surely FFP will come into play very quickly too. If they're anything but top 6 early next season, the unrest and pressure will increase and you can see things unraveling very quickly for them and by extension MA, who I also suspect won't have the same leeway there that he got here.

Sounds already like his penchant for spending other people's money is getting him in trouble again. 

Yeah, guess if you said - we really want promotion this season, but if we give it a good run (e.g. lose in playoffs) then we are okay for another season.

However sat in 11th place…

image.thumb.png.afe074b53ab6a948b0c9923ee7cdaa4d.png

9 points off of playoffs having played at least 1 game more than everyone in the top 7 bar Wycombe, who they are 14 points behind is not anywhere near where they expected to be.

Cook pays the penalty for that…and much as I like and rate him, it’s been a poor start to the season.  Even more so when you look at the players brought in.

Even if they have a really good run they are gonna need 45+ points from 25 games to get 6th.  Pic below is since 95/96.

image.thumb.png.883c683d45d9ab44b486f7a389004a38.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, guess if you said - we really want promotion this season, but if we give it a good run (e.g. lose in playoffs) then we are okay for another season.

However sat in 11th place…

image.thumb.png.afe074b53ab6a948b0c9923ee7cdaa4d.png

9 points off of playoffs having played at least 1 game more than everyone in the top 7 bar Wycombe, who they are 14 points behind is not anywhere near where they expected to be.

Cook pays the penalty for that…and much as I like and rate him, it’s been a poor start to the season.  Even more so when you look at the players brought in.

Even if they have a really good run they are gonna need 45+ points from 25 games to get 6th.  Pic below is since 95/96.

image.thumb.png.883c683d45d9ab44b486f7a389004a38.png

With Frank Lampard in charge, its HMS piss the league :rolleyes:

I see Ipswich Town's Chief Executive Mark Ashton is quoted on the BBC Football website as promising (sic)..................."I will cast the net far and wide, to find the right person to replace Paul Cook"    Poor Ipswich Pheckers, they have No idea what is round the next corner  Ha!  ??

Edited by maxjak

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Just like 2017/18 when he said we were not "planning on promotion" that season - which then lead to players leaving

• Like 6

I rewatched both the the Sunderland till I die series recently. 

Must be something about being a CEO at a football club that means they have to be so self righteous and full of themselves. Both Martin Bain and Charlie Methven are just awful cringe worthy arses. And to think Ashton is probably worse than both. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

I rewatched both the the Sunderland till I die series recently. 

Must be something about being a CEO at a football club that means they have to be so self righteous and full of themselves. Both Martin Bain and Charlie Methven are just awful cringe worthy arses. And to think Ashton is probably worse than both. 

I understand that our current CEO is very different to this. I've heard from several sources that he is a breath of fresh air, is easily engaged, responds promptly to even "minor" matters, and cares about the job rather than himself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I understand that our current CEO is very different to this. I've heard from several sources that he is a breath of fresh air, is easily engaged, responds promptly to even "minor" matters, and cares about the job rather than himself.

Good, should be receiving my vouchers any day now :ph34r:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Little bit surprised there is no concrete(ish) candidate yet.  I don’t think 4/5 on is that concrete imho.

image.thumb.png.6fa03b3a9a3fafb5072c7670201cc786.png

John Terry, unlikely but never know as a first step into management.

Frank Lampard? Which clown put money on that!?

Neil Lennon - probably the next Celtic manager (again).

Jeez.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Little bit surprised there is no concrete(ish) candidate yet.  I don’t think 4/5 on is that concrete imho.

Frank Lampard :laugh:, id be surprised considering he turned down Norwich in the premier.

Marc Bircham a random one and don’t see him as a manager type, but I believe he worked in the US for another club in their .owners portfolio so probably something in that.

Also can’t see Tony Mowbray leaving Blackburn where he has got them, despite being an ex-player

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if McGreal stayed in place for more than 10 games ie what bookies go by, popular figure at Ipswich and just oh so coincidental with the timing