IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

1 minute ago, Double1 said:

The employment cycle of Mark Ashton:

1- join a club and bring in all his "boys" to create a mini cartel

2- hire a very inexperienced manager who he can dictate to 

3- sign a load of players, who he likes,, or is with a particular agent, irrespective of wages or whether they are needed

4- photo opp and interview about how he has got in a load of top signings.

5- disappear while the manager struggles to gel a completely unbalanced squad on high wages

6-sack manager, hire an even less experienced one 

7- leave club, in a mess, reputation with fans down the pan......repeat cycle.

8. New clubs fan’s lap him up, call previous club’s fans weirdos, window lockers, and blame the manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Double1 said:

The employment cycle of Mark Ashton:

1- join a club and bring in all his "boys" to create a mini cartel

2- hire a very inexperienced manager who he can dictate to 

3- sign a load of players, who he likes,, or is with a particular agent, irrespective of wages or whether they are needed

4- photo opp and interview about how he has got in a load of top signings.

5- disappear while the manager struggles to gel a completely unbalanced squad on high wages

6-sack manager, hire an even less experienced one 

7- leave club, in a mess, reputation with fans down the pan......repeat cycle.

Did he leave Oxford United in a mess though? Thought during his tenure they got promoted into the football league?

37 minutes ago, 22A said:

I visited Ipswich today and was told there's grumbling that the Summer's signings haven't been too successful and most will be moved on next Summer.

If anyone thinks you can move players on nowadays just because it suits you then think again.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 22A said:

I visited Ipswich today and was told there's grumbling that the Summer's signings haven't been too successful and most will be moved on next Summer.

During the summer there was a lot of talk of high wages to get some players to sign, e.g Pigott (albeit on a free).  There is now talk of loaning him out, and selling him in the summer.  I’m not sure anyone is gonna pay £8-10k p.w. for a player who’s struggled this season.

That is what they have to contend with.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

During the summer there was a lot of talk of high wages to get some players to sign, e.g Pigott (albeit on a free).  There is now talk of loaning him out, and selling him in the summer.  I’m not sure anyone is gonna pay £8-10k p.w. for a player who’s struggled this season.

That is what they have to contend with.

What is he, a bang average league one striker? That's £2k per week basic if I was in charge. Iit's not like MA has any history of agreeing deals with players at 4-5x their real worth. Would they want to trade him for Palmer?

Signing a total near 20 players in the close season wasn't necessary for us.    Not sure what they were trying to achieve by this, it started out all well and promising at the start but by the end of business even myself and doubtless a few others at Portman Road were left wondering what the hell was going on.    One guess being we just needed to clear out a whole load of dead wood and then-surplus requirement names and (then) bring in an influx of no-thrills players that would appease certain members of the fanbase, who in all truth, had endured a certain amount of suffering going back a number of years.

Tomorrow sees a trip to Sheffield, a bit too far for some to travel but if we can win again, not only will Kieran McKenna grab a manager of the month award so soon after coming in, any chance of promotion will be very much a reality.   Five wins from six league games if we do it tomorrow, I desperately want to get out this bloody league.   We have a very good opportunity now, McKenna - people questioned his arrival myself included - but fair play he's procured wins after another, a lot of the time we haven't even played well to get those three points.      

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Signing a total near 20 players in the close season wasn't necessary for us.    Not sure what they were trying to achieve by this, it started out all well and promising at the start but by the end of business even myself and doubtless a few others at Portman Road were left wondering what the hell was going on.    One guess being we just needed to clear out a whole load of dead wood and then-surplus requirement names and (then) bring in an influx of no-thrills players that would appease certain members of the fanbase, who in all truth, had endured a certain amount of suffering going back a number of years.

Tomorrow sees a trip to Sheffield, a bit too far for some to travel but if we can win again, not only will Kieran McKenna grab a manager of the month award so soon after coming in, any chance of promotion will be very much a reality.   Five wins from six league games if we do it tomorrow, I desperately want to get out this bloody league.   We have a very good opportunity now, McKenna - people questioned his arrival myself included - but fair play he's procured wins after another, a lot of the time we haven't even played well to get those three points.      

You’ll know my beef with Mark Ashton, and your TWTD forum blames it all on Cook.

Just imagine Cook did want all 20 players signed in the summer.  At what point does the CEO (playing the role of HoR) use his skill, experience and understanding of the market and the financial climate turn round to Cook and say “enough is enough Paul, that player you brought in at the start of the season, you’re telling me a few weeks later you want another in his position”.

If you’re not in full support of the manager’s recruitment plan what the hell are you responsible for?

Thats the bit I don’t get.

And now some of those players brought in during the summer are poised to move on, in most cases it will be at a cost, because the players you don’t want aren’t the ones who are playing well, but the ones that haven’t.  In most cases you’ll have paid better wages than most in your division, so who can afford to take your “unwanted” off your hands and pay either the necessary fee and / or wages.

That poor recruitment has to be a reflection on the CEO’s judgment, not just the manager.  Surely?

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

21 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Rekeem Harper now gone on loan who they signed in the summer. Thank god Ashton is now there problem. Signing players for the sake of it

He was the player the Chairman (O’Leary) and Ashton said they must get…ignore what the Manager (Cook) wanted, eh?  From West Brom, I expect a few palms greased along the way.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1