IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

I know Ashton isn't to everyone's taste around here but he must be doing something right at ITFC as the turnaround in team fortunes since he came on board has been like night and day.    Actually keeps a low profile with us, that leaping around at Lincoln and high-fiving fans like some WWE wrestler making their way to the ring now seems a one-off.     

Just for the record, feel now the majority of the fanbase at Portman Road are now squarely behind him.     Came with a certain baggage or reputation but after initial scepticism with many Town fans has now fitted in almost like a piece of the furniture.     Would have played a pivotal part in bringing in an influx of new players last summer and taking McKenna to the club as new manager.     I don't get to see all the in's and out's and hour to hour business of what goes on behind the scenes, Ashton included, but from our own fans perspective bringing him on board now seems a good bit of business.

We're like 12 league games unbeaten and are now easily one of the very best sides in League One.   If we make the play-offs there's every chance we'll win it but pity is McKenna, Ashton and the new Game Changer Group owners came in too late to address the slide left before them by Marcus Evans, Hurst and Lambert.     Good night.    ?

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

I know Ashton isn't to everyone's taste around here but he must be doing something right at ITFC as the turnaround in team fortunes since he came on board has been like night and day.    Actually keeps a low profile with us, that leaping around at Lincoln and high-fiving fans like some WWE wrestler making their way to the ring now seems a one-off.     

Just for the record, feel now the majority of the fanbase at Portman Road are now squarely behind him.     Came with a certain baggage or reputation but after initial scepticism with many Town fans has now fitted in almost like a piece of the furniture.     Would have played a pivotal part in bringing in an influx of new players last summer and taking McKenna to the club as new manager.     I don't get to see all the in's and out's and hour to hour business of what goes on behind the scenes, Ashton included, but from our own fans perspective bringing him on board now seems a good bit of business.

We're like 12 league games unbeaten and are now easily one of the very best sides in League One.   If we make the play-offs there's every chance we'll win it but pity is McKenna, Ashton and the new Game Changer Group owners came in too late to address the slide left before them by Marcus Evans, Hurst and Lambert.     Good night.    ?

The questions you should be asking is what the accounts will look like at the end of the year and how much dead wood you will need to get rid of.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Lots of Kool Aid being spat out when this is read.

6 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Thats funny , because it appears to me that he has taken you from 9th last season  to 9th this season...

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

7 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Despite the fact he’s completely crippled us financially we have largely moved on.

You like him, we hate him & much prefer Richard Gould.

As has been pointed out following him doing his usual scattergun approach to recruitment last summer spending sums pretty much unmatched by your League One rivals you aren’t any better positioned.

I actually like both East Anglia clubs, but his legacy with us & Watford should worry you long term.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

One of my best mates over here is an Ipswich fan, so I don’t mind them as a club. It’s also Friday and I’ve been working in Melbourne all week, having recently discovered that the pub next to the office has Thatcher’s on tap…

History is repeating itself with Ashton. Spunking a lot of cash on a lot of players for a small amount of progress.

It seems exciting, it seems like something’s happening but ultimately, it doesn’t. I really hated Ashton and LJ for their Brent-esque personalities… but I was definitely a supporter of LJ, at least, because there was incremental improvement in the league.

Unfortunately, with each small step forward bigger problems were appearing behind the scenes and I now feel like an idiot for being happy about slowly inching towards the playoffs, while dispensing cash faster than a truck stop ATM.

I hope Ashton can guide you to the levels of success that cover the costs of getting there but I genuinely don’t think he will as his ego and greed means he’ll keep going until you’re all f**ked, then keep going a bit more.

Nothing new, revelatory or insightful there but as I said, I recently discovered the local has Thatcher’s on tap and I needed to vent.

Edited by SydneyCity
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

Unfortunately, with each small step forward bigger problems were appearing behind the scenes and I now feel like an idiot for being happy about slowly inching towards the playoffs, while dispensing cash faster than a truck stop ATM.

That was one of my biggest issues, and I saw it coming.  No bonus points for me (and others), but how could the “professionals” including a billionaire accountant not see the signs?

As per Graham, I quite like Ipswich as a club, they have been typically the kind of club a neutral likes, so keen to see how they do.

This summer will be interesting to watch the ins and outs.  Having paid some allegedly whopping wages for some players who are no longer in their plans, we will see how they get moved on to free up squad space…abd at what cost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Thats funny , because it appears to me that he has taken you from 9th last season  to 9th this season...

Why bother trying to convince another fan base that their CEO is crap? They’re happy they’ve got him, we’re happy he’s left, leave them to it. 

14 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

I wish Ipswich fans well but I'd say that the question with Ashton isn't about the immediate term but how he's planning financially for the long term. 

Mark Ashton was with us for five years and, for most of that time, our league position was improving and our squad looked stronger. Our scouting team unearthed some gems, as did our youth system, and there was a point where it seemed like Ashton or someone at the club had achieved alchemy in the transfer market, 

However four years in, both the results and the big money transfers out dried up it became very clear that we had a number of players who were not improving at the rate we anticipated. Over the year since Ashton left the evidence suggests the new manager and CEO have uncovered a real mess financially that is limiting us in the transfer market whilst we have too many players who just do not fit into a coherent side. Much of this is Ashton's legacy and it has been a mess to unpick.

I'm hoping for your sake that he's learned lessons from his time with us and isn't going to inflict the same long-term damage on you and perhaps he has. But my advice would be to look beyond this season's results and focus on the longetivity of the squad and business model for the next few years as those would be my key concerns. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, KegCity said:

Why bother trying to convince another fan base that their CEO is crap? They’re happy they’ve got him, we’re happy he’s left, leave them to it. 

As long as they take up the Bakinson option in the summer I'll be happy to move on.

• Like 1

Ashton about the appointment of McKenna

Kieran was someone that I’d really kept a close eye on and with my links with [assistant manager] Martyn Pert [from Watford] I’d always been meeting Martyn and asking questions about him.

“We approached him and when I met Kieran I knew within 30 seconds, honestly. Within 30 seconds I knew. It was very late on one Sunday evening when we met and within 30 seconds I knew.

516A9E96-E6D0-40D0-85C3-BE225F95DACB.jpeg

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t he say something similar about Johnson….after he’d been rooting for Appleton, only to be told by Lansdown that Johnson was gonna be the new manager.

Very similar , I remember posting an article where he was full of it claiming Lee was his find

Just a spooky coincidence he was the owner and his sons family friend 

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ashton about the appointment of McKenna

Kieran was someone that I’d really kept a close eye on and with my links with [assistant manager] Martyn Pert [from Watford] I’d always been meeting Martyn and asking questions about him.

“We approached him and when I met Kieran I knew within 30 seconds, honestly. Within 30 seconds I knew. It was very late on one Sunday evening when we met and within 30 seconds I knew.

516A9E96-E6D0-40D0-85C3-BE225F95DACB.jpeg

30 seconds, sure he wasn't talking about his sex life ?

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Six points off the playoffs with five to play. That`s probably them done for this season.

Thankfully we won`t have to watch Ashton going full John Terry at Wembley now.

Time for him to come out with the "actually promotion isn't the aim for this season" line to pretend he has a master plan that is too subtle for the plebs to understand.

Expect lots more "trading" in the summer Ipswich fans. If it happens to benefit any particular agents that's just coincidence.

• Like 5

On 01/04/2022 at 00:48, Southend Blue said:

Oops! Nothing like a home defeat to Cambridge Utd for a chastening dose of hard reality. If Ipswich fail to make the L1 Play-Offs, it has to be seen as an abject failure whichever way you look at it. 

On 01/04/2022 at 00:48, Southend Blue said:

There was a time when we looked like competing for the Championship title and were in the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup with Ashton, and most of us were of a mindset similar to yours.

As others have said though, be careful not to get too swept up in it, or when your next CEO takes over you might end up considering a points deduction too.

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To lighten some of the doom from yesterday, mate of mine has sent me the Ipswich season ticket renewal letter.

Good to see Suffolk resident “Bobboblue” has had his complaints over the Tannoy heard.

9CD6D036-3FC5-4448-B650-9B34E238CD51.jpeg

I see they are 9th, 8 points off Sunderland in 6th having played a game more. Top 6 not looking likely but he will spin it as a personal triumph.

NEXT SEASON IS #OUR TIME (POSSIBLY BUT IF NOT IT'S SOMEBODY ELSE'S FAULT)

44 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I see they are 9th, 8 points off Sunderland in 6th having played a game more. Top 6 not looking likely but he will spin it as a personal triumph.

NEXT SEASON IS #OUR TIME (POSSIBLY BUT IF NOT IT'S SOMEBODY ELSE'S FAULT)

Will they beat last seasons total?

Will they beat Brian Tinnion's Bristol City?

They truly are shite but the fans are still lapping it all up