IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Bellend or Visionary? 

Reading this quickly I thought that MA's name was going to be on their home and away kit! :shocking:

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Quite. It’s corporate horseshit. And poorly crafted horseshit, at that. 

Did you not listen to what he said?  He says quite  clearly that it's not just any old corporate slogan - it actually runs through the whole football club - because they're owned by a lot of old Arizona firemen.  Do keep up.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Bellend or Visionary? 

My god, it almost looks as if he believes his own bullshit ! If only he could suck himself off, you'd never see him again.

He's doing the full on U.S. tv evangelizer schtick, you can see the earnestness seeping out of every sweaty pore.............WE are the one true club, and I am the one true way !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t be arsed to watch it.  He’s living rent free in my head, that’s enough for me ???

Dave 

You have to watch it seriously

Id recommend having a bucket nearby , and I’ll have a bet with you less than 30 seconds to mutter an expletive 

It’s therapeutic - every time he appears I’m more and more relieved that he’s nowhere near our club anymore 

And what suckers Steve & Jon Lansdowns were

• Like 5

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

My god, it almost looks as if he believes his own bullshit ! If only he could suck himself off, you'd never see him again.

He's doing the full on U.S. tv evangelizer schtick, you can see the earnestness seeping out of every sweaty pore.............WE are the one true club, and I am the one true way !

It’ll be grape flavor-aid at half time next…

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Was just about to say I'd heard it here, I think it might have been LJ rather than him though.

He did a podcast with Ipswich fans nearly a year ago, which is titled 'Running towards adversity', quoted from him.

This is definitely a Mark Ashton/David Brent-pushed idea :laugh:.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

He did a podcast with Ipswich fans nearly a year ago, which is titled 'Running towards adversity', quoted from him.

This is definitely a Mark Ashton/David Brent-pushed idea :laugh:.

Well we know what Ashton’s auto biography will be called 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Dave 

You have to watch it seriously

Id recommend having a bucket nearby , and I’ll have a bet with you less than 30 seconds to mutter an expletive 

It’s therapeutic - every time he appears I’m more and more relieved that he’s nowhere near our club anymore 

And what suckers Steve & Jon Lansdowns were

“Who we represent…..” - a Pension fund.

Eff me, he’s lost the plot.  Ipswich Town FC don’t represent a US Pension Fund, they represent Ipswich, the Town, the Football Club.

The bloke is completely caught up in thinking he’s smarter than he is.

This has topped anything he’s ever said in his time with us.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Daniro said:

Did you not listen to what he said?  He says quite  clearly that it's not just any old corporate slogan - it actually runs through the whole football club - because they're owned by a lot of old Arizona firemen.  Do keep up.  

That is still a pretty tenuous link though, isn’t it?

I mean Newcastle are now owned by the Saudis but you don’t see them having “chop the arms off of all shoplifters” on their kit, do you?

Likewise Man City, not a single sign there of “homophobic slave state”?

Can’t bring myself to watch a second of it, I know the damage he did & we still pay for (hello, Kasey Palmer) so despite what those in Suffolk might want to believe, I really do want to try & move on now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thanks to the brave souls who went before, I was prepared. It was tough, but I made it all the way through.
So, thoughts?

I don't think he mentioned the fans, even though he mentions "the people we represent " several times.
I don't think, he mentions local community , when he says the owners care about the community , I took how he said that to be those who's money fund the club through their Pensions. 
The phrase makes complete sense, when he mentions Police and Firemen's Pensions being involved, their lives involve going "towards adversity", but on a football shirt thousands of miles away it's just another Corporate Buzzword or phrase. 

If I was an Ipswich fan, I'd be pissed off. Do they even get a second thought ?
As for the people with Pensions with the owners, I'd be worried. Making a profit through Football ownership is rare.

Always remember the old quote;
How do you make a small fortune from owning a Football Club ?
Start with a big fortune.

• Like 5

The subtext of what he is saying is the franchise model - a club should represent an owner and be moved wherever a local community is able to afford it and then it will will do community work where it is.

if I was an Ipswich fan I would be incredibly concerned by this video.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Thanks to the brave souls who went before, I was prepared. It was tough, but I made it all the way through.
So, thoughts?

I don't think he mentioned the fans, even though he mentions "the people we represent " several times.
I don't think, he mentions local community , when he says the owners care about the community , I took how he said that to be those who's money fund the club through their Pensions. 
The phrase makes complete sense, when he mentions Police and Firemen's Pensions being involved, their lives involve going "towards adversity", but on a football shirt thousands of miles away it's just another Corporate Buzzword or phrase. 

If I was an Ipswich fan, I'd be pissed off. Do they even get a second thought ?
As for the people with Pensions with the owners, I'd be worried. Making a profit through Football ownership is rare.

Always remember the old quote;
How do you make a small fortune from owning a Football Club ?
Start with a big fortune.

Probably be better to link local emergency services instead of a pension fund miles away. Could still reference it as the initial focus but then link it to Ipswich itself, people will get on board with it more.

There is a lot of "I" in the clip, and "we", but you get the feeling even though he says we, he means I. 

Its all about him, me, me, me. Very dangerous to have that amount of control and power in one person who is just a very convincing salesman, if you are open to being manipulated.

Other than that I agree with comments others have said and believe we are in a much better place not having his influences at our club.

I too think that LJ maybe got caught up in his bullshit,.Someone let MA get too powerful and LJ got in too deep and then he lost his way. I'm not saying LJ would have been any more successful if MA wasn't pulling his and everyone else's strings, but I bet if he had the chance to do it all again here he would have done things differently.

• Like 12