IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

51 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Thanks to the brave souls who went before, I was prepared. It was tough, but I made it all the way through.
So, thoughts?

I don't think he mentioned the fans, even though he mentions "the people we represent " several times.
I don't think, he mentions local community , when he says the owners care about the community , I took how he said that to be those who's money fund the club through their Pensions. 
The phrase makes complete sense, when he mentions Police and Firemen's Pensions being involved, their lives involve going "towards adversity", but on a football shirt thousands of miles away it's just another Corporate Buzzword or phrase. 

If I was an Ipswich fan, I'd be pissed off. Do they even get a second thought ?
As for the people with Pensions with the owners, I'd be worried. Making a profit through Football ownership is rare.

Always remember the old quote;
How do you make a small fortune from owning a Football Club ?
Start with a big fortune.

This jumped out at me as well.  We know he could sell ice to the Eskimos but when the penny drops with the new owners that he's sold them a duff financial model, Ipswich is going to be royally in the shit.

34 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Nor me. 

If the Snake oil salesman could suck himself off we wouldn't see you again......?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Thanks to the brave souls who went before, I was prepared. It was tough, but I made it all the way through.
So, thoughts?

I don't think he mentioned the fans, even though he mentions "the people we represent " several times.
I don't think, he mentions local community , when he says the owners care about the community , I took how he said that to be those who's money fund the club through their Pensions. 
The phrase makes complete sense, when he mentions Police and Firemen's Pensions being involved, their lives involve going "towards adversity", but on a football shirt thousands of miles away it's just another Corporate Buzzword or phrase. 

If I was an Ipswich fan, I'd be pissed off. Do they even get a second thought ?
As for the people with Pensions with the owners, I'd be worried. Making a profit through Football ownership is rare.

Always remember the old quote;
How do you make a small fortune from owning a Football Club ?
Start with a big fortune.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

The subtext of what he is saying is the franchise model - a club should represent an owner and be moved wherever a local community is able to afford it and then it will will do community work where it is.

if I was an Ipswich fan I would be incredibly concerned by this video.

The sentiment of my tweet, which has a similar vibe to Graham’s post too.

How are those firemen and policemen feeling about their underperforming part of their pension fund linked to a Ipswich Town….because it won’t have made any money in season 1, nor will it in season 2 (in Lg1).  It’s very unlikely it will in season 3 either (in Champ at best, reckon still be in Lg1), etc, etc.  it can only make money in the Premier League, and they are miles away from that…there’s a good chance Gamechanger have pulled out well before that.

You are right, where is the representation of the fans, the community, the town, the county of Suffolk?

There isn’t any.  I find it quite sad for a decent club like Ipswich.

The fact that some fans are lapping it up and calling it “leadership” is beyond words. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Made all the above points on Twitter yesterday, no reference to fans, the town etc etc. 

He is a charlatan of the highest order. Their fans don’t get it yet.  But they will. 

But this is classic Ashton

Sticking his head so far up his employers rectum that only his heels are left visible

This is what it’s all about to elicit a typical and predictable American response 

‘Geeeee Mark that’s some great idea’

so having achieved his main aim of brownie points with his employers he can’t then resist also trying to smooch the fans with his bull**** , and even worse , he’s arrogant enough to confidently think he can (There’s a very ‘mixed’ reaction to it amongst the webbed finger brigade.)

Im still getting my head around the use of somebody’s pension funds , to invest in a third tier English Football Club.

Would  any one of us be happy that our Pension Contributions were being invested in Ipswich Town FC ?

I may be missing something here, and there are a lot of knowledgable posters on here , with regards to Clubs Finance , investments etc ,   but do they (those investing on the pension contributors behalf) seriously believe that this is a good / sensible investment ?

Accepting that a meteoric and swift rise into the Premier League would increase the value of the Club , and hence their investment...... but we all know how easy and realistic that is , and the cost of trying

(My limited understanding being that , that cost , is to the Pension Fund Stakeholders !)

Let’s not invest in Oil, IT technology, property etc etc l

Lets have some fun spending it on Ipswich Town

**** Me , I’d be be fuming

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

The sentiment of my tweet, which has a similar vibe to Graham’s post too.

How are those firemen and policemen feeling about their underperforming part of their pension fund linked to a Ipswich Town….because it won’t have made any money in season 1, nor will it in season 2 (in Lg1).  It’s very unlikely it will in season 3 either (in Champ at best, reckon still be in Lg1), etc, etc.  it can only make money in the Premier League, and they are miles away from that…there’s a good chance Gamechanger have pulled out well before that.

You are right, where is the representation of the fans, the community, the town, the county of Suffolk?

There isn’t any.  I find it quite sad for a decent club like Ipswich.

The fact that some fans are lapping it up and calling it “leadership” is beyond words. 

Ha ha , as I was typing my above post , our thoughts align and you’ve covered in general terms what the q I’ve  just posed ?????????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But this is classic Ashton

Sticking his head so far up his employers rectum that only his heels are left visible

This is what it’s all about to elicit a typical and predictable American response 

‘Geeeee Mark that’s some great idea’

so having achieved his main aim of brownie points with his employers he can’t then resist also trying to smooch the fans with his bull**** , and even worse , he’s arrogant enough to confidently think he can (There’s a very ‘mixed’ reaction to it amongst the webbed finger brigade.)

SL - so Mark, who are the candidates to replace Steve Cotterill

MA - the obvious candidate, best candidate, brilliant human is Michael Appleton

SL - oh, I’d quite like Lee Johnson, I helped him get his first job at Oldham

MA - but Michael has more experience, he worked FOR ME at Oxford and West Brom

SL - oh, I’d quite like Lee Johnson, I helped him get his first job at Oldham

MA - what about the bad run he’s having at Barnsley

MA - yeah, you’re right, Lee is top of my list too, I reckon we should approach Barnsley 

SL - yes, good choice Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

SL - so Mark, who are the candidates to replace Steve Cotterill

MA - the obvious candidate, best candidate, brilliant human is Michael Appleton

SL - oh, I’d quite like Lee Johnson, I helped him get his first job at Oldham

MA - but Michael has more experience, he worked FOR ME at Oxford and West Brom

MA - what about the bad run he’s having at Barnsley

MA - yeah, you’re right, Lee is top of my list too, I reckon we should approach Barnsley 

SL - yes, good choice Mark

Spot on Dave , I wish I still had the link to an article from a Football Magazine (442 or similar) when Ashton gave an interview , and his quotes about appointing LJ were simply hilarious 

How he’d had him on radar etc , immediately realised he was the man , etc etc.  (hold my beer...Paul McKenna.....)

and ‘ Can I just say , how fantastic Steve and Maggie are ..... ?’ in every ******* interview.

Mark Ashtons burning and overwhelming  priority in life is 

Self protection , self promotion 

Any manager in my organisation who was so overtly gushing and transparent towards the top , I’d distrust and avoid like the plague.

One of my lifetime hates,-  no one expects rebels , or to criticise ones employers , and by all means highlight and praise where appropriate , but this **** is something else

It literally makes me cringe , he’s a complete snake 

I don’t care what his competencies or incompetencies in his actual role are , I couldn’t work within a country mile with him , .(I’d predict a clash by about 11am on our first day ?)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

but do they (those investing on the pension contributors behalf) seriously believe that this is a good / sensible investment ?

Presumably they have a bit of cash for speculative investments. ITFC must have appeared under-priced. I presume their plan is to sell on as a Championship club with potential to get into the top flight but for a less risk-averse investor to take that challenge and horrendous risk. They failed to go up last season. This one will be tougher. Meanwhile, MA is getting the fans and staff to doff their caps to the speculators to buy himself time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

Presumably they have a bit of cash for speculative investments. ITFC must have appeared under-priced. I presume their plan is to sell on as a Championship club with potential to get into the top flight but for a less risk-averse investor to take that challenge and horrendous risk. They failed to go up last season. This one will be tougher. Meanwhile, MA is getting the fans and staff to doff their caps to the speculators to buy himself time.

Good points, but how much debt do they create in the process.

If they don’t get up this season, band it’s won’t be easy, I can see things coming to a head quickly.

Still waiting for the bid for Semenyo.

17 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

Ta - yes , I would have assumed this would be seen as a medium/high risk investment , and (I have kno knowledge or expertise in this area) am actually shocked that Pension Fund Holders are (and are allowed) investing in such 

I understand (very basically) spread of investment funds , and as a private investor or investors I could understand a lot more , risky yes, but some fun etc

Ultimately those funds are those paid in by way of contribution by serving and former police officers / firefighters etc and represent the future for all of them and those that follow

I would assume , and hope ! , the amount invested in Ipswich is relatively small in terms of their funds, but, it doesn’t affect me in any way of course, but it doesn’t sit right with me

Their fans are proclaiming that it’s a sort of tribute to the police officers and firefighters who quote , unquote ‘pay the players wages

Yep , I bet that Sgt Daniels in downtown precinct 12 in Phoenix is extremely impressed Piggot , one of the 17 new purchases hardly kicked a ball on £10,000 a week !!!! ? 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Spot on Dave , I wish I still had the link to an article from a Football Magazine (442 or similar) when Ashton gave an interview , and his quotes about appointing LJ were simply hilarious 

How he’d had him on radar etc , immediately realised he was the man , etc etc.  (hold my beer...Paul McKenna.....)

and ‘ Can I just say , how fantastic Steve and Maggie are ..... ?’ in every ******* interview.

Mark Ashtons burning and overwhelming  priority in life is 

Self protection , self promotion 

Any manager in my organisation who was so overtly gushing and transparent towards the top , I’d distrust and avoid like the plague.

One of my lifetime hates,-  no one expects rebels , or to criticise ones employers , and by all means highlight and praise where appropriate , but this **** is something else

It literally makes me cringe , he’s a complete snake 

I don’t care what his competencies or incompetencies in his actual role are , I couldn’t work within a country mile with him , .(I’d predict a clash by about 11am on our first day ?)

People like him divide an organisation to the core. Ruthless dictatorship, except to the investor(s) who they’re right up the arse too.

Yes, to be successful, a team needs to pull in the same direction. That direction is for the organisation’s, not for one individual’s, best interests though.

I don’t see benefits out of the Ipswich situation for anyone but MA and his supporting cast. If my pension fund was being entrusted in such an extraordinary high risk venture I’d be going apeshit. In fact, I can’t quite believe a pension fund would take such a high risk. Unless, of course, there were tangible assets that underpin the investment. I assume they own the ground/training ground?

Poor olde Ipswich fans if MA fails to deliver - they can’t say we didn’t warn them though. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant

'Running Towards Adversity' = RTA = Road Traffic Accident = car crash!

Just saying.

BTW, I'm in Lanzarote and it's scorchio! ??☺️

He's still a sanctimonious, self praising, name dropping arsehole then?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

I'm not really keeping up with their recruitment, hows he doing? I think he signed loads last season so probably a bit bogged down, not that has ever stopped him.

Have they a star player we could nick, now that would be funny...especially if it was a Luton situation?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Running Towards Adversity' = RTA = Road Traffic Accident = car crash!

Just saying.

BTW, I'm in Lanzarote and it's scorchio! ??☺️

He's still a sanctimonious, self praising, name dropping arsehole then?

Roverzzz going with 'Running Towards Obscurity' on their shirt I believe...

Enjoy Lanzarote, was there a couple of weeks ago. Gurt Lush.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bpexile said:

How the **** did you manage 40 seconds of that ? ? ?

I wasn’t really concentrating if truth be known…I think most of it was the interviewer asking the question and MA nodding, fixing him with his beady eyes, then sighing. I think I was concentrating more on his beard, and thinking how much he’d changed since his arrival in BS3*.

was it bullshit 3?

28 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I wasn’t really concentrating if truth be known…I think most of it was the interviewer asking the question and MA nodding, fixing him with his beady eyes, then sighing. I think I was concentrating more on his beard, and thinking how much he’d changed since his arrival in BS3*.

was it bullshit 3?

Ok, you're forgiven :thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Yes, to be successful, a team needs to pull in the same direction. That direction is for the organisation’s, not for one individual’s, best interests though.

Not suggesting this is the most inspirational opening speech, but the message is clear.

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm not really keeping up with their recruitment, hows he doing? I think he signed loads last season so probably a bit bogged down, not that has ever stopped him.

Have they a star player we could nick, now that would be funny...especially if it was a Luton situation?

Obviously early days in this window, but so far they’ve lost:

• Norwood - released
  • Thompson - loan ended (Brentford)
  • Bakinson - loan ended (us)
  • Carroll - released (signed on a 1 year deal last summer)
  • Holy - free (Carlisle)
  • Kenlock - released
  • Celina - loan ended (Dijon)
  • Bonne - loan ended (QPR)

gained:

• Ladapo - free (Rotherham)
  • Ball - free (QPR)

extended:

• Donacien (option)
  • Jackson (option)
  • Burns (new deal)
  • Aluko (triggered by apps)

My gut feel is that reality has bitten financially from a poor first season, and we are now hearing messages like “we are focusing on quality”, “we did the overhaul last summer, it’s fine tuning now”.  Try moving on Joe Pigott on his £8-10k p.w….that’s the reason we aren’t seeing much activity.  The fans weren’t expecting free transfers, albeit Ladapo and Ball are good “pick-ups”, but they are hamstrung by overpaying last summer in a declining market.

Popcorn always at the ready in Suffolk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Davefevs. In response I like the new Blackburn boss, don't know much about him at all. He at least was trying to engage with the players and gave some insight to the type of person/manager he is going to be.

I know we only have the bit of video to go on but he didn't seem to get a lot back from the players who have probably been through so many managers its just 'here we go again, how long is the one going to last'. They did seem to engage with him a bit more when shaking hands before and after though to be fair. 

Again, only what i see of Pearson through media stuff, no idea how he is with the players, but I find i can't listen to him for long before he irritates me. He tends to speak in a slow pondering way that makes him seem he thinks he is more intellegent than those he is addressing. I may have this totally wrong, he maybe a fantastic manager to our players and just come across like that in the media (which I don't think he has patience with). i just don't like listening to him whereas I like the Blackburn manager, from this clip.

Interesting regarding the Ipswich players, they went for loan players (4 at least) whereas we seem to have gone away from that route under Pearson. MA seems to like loans perhaps.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Again, only what i see of Pearson through media stuff, no idea how he is with the players, but I find i can't listen to him for long before he irritates me. He tends to speak in a slow pondering way that makes him seem he thinks he is more intellegent than those he is addressing. I may have this totally wrong, he maybe a fantastic manager to our players and just come across like that in the media (which I don't think he has patience with). i just don't like listening to him whereas I like the Blackburn manager, from this clip.

Having read a few bits on Nige when he arrived, it seems as though the way he talks (that you find irritating - all about opinions) is a direct response to try to stop speaking in the way that comes naturally to him….which is to blurt all manner of crap out and then realise it might not be clear, open to interpretation, etc.  So, he’s deliberate on purpose to stop himself!

Just ask @redsquirrelwhat he was like when he bumped into Nige…totally different away from the camera!

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Interesting regarding the Ipswich players, they went for loan players (4 at least) whereas we seem to have gone away from that route under Pearson. MA seems to like loans perhaps.

On an aside, I’ve been collating a spreadsheet (what a surprise) of every Championship incoming and outgoing (officially reported) this summer, inc Released, loan end, transferred etc.

Team / Number of outgoings (of loans ended)

Birmingham C 6 (5)

Blackburn R 9 (5) make that 10 (5) Lenihan officially announced as released.

Blackpool 4 (2)

Bristol C 2 

*Burnley 6

Cardiff C 13 (5)

Coventry C 5 (2)

Huddersfield T 11 (4)

Hull C 8 (5)

Luton T 4 (2) but very secretive

Middlesbrough 8 (4)

Millwall 8 (5)

*Norwich C 10 (4)

PNE 11 (4)

QPR 11 (4)

Reading 12 (5)

**Rotherham U 6 (1)

Sheffield U 8 (5)

Stoke C 11 (7) can only select 5!!!

**Sunderland 11 (2)

Swansea C 5 (2)

*Watford 6

WBA 3 (2)

**Wigan A 2 (1)

It suggests that the heavy lifting we did last summer is being felt by several clubs this summer.  The danger of loans is also that as each one goes back to their parent, you need to find a new one to just “stay where you are”.

In terms of incomings:

Blackburn R 1

Bristol C 3

Cardiff C 8

Huddersfield T 1

Middlesbrough 1

Norwich C 1 (1)

Rotherham U 1

Stoke C 1

Sunderland 1

Swansea C 3

WBA 2

Those free agents aren’t being snapped up that quickly are they?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1