IGNORED

2021/22 Matchday No. 1 - Bristol City v. Blackpool

Happy Opening Day of the Season everyone…!

Always an exciting time - so let’s enjoy the day.

For those that will be there, have fun & stay safe.  I’ll be checking on this thread for my in-game updates, so no doubt I’ll see most of you guys here again later ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Team prediction 

Bentley

Vyner.  Baker. Atkinson. Dasilva

James. King

Weimann.  Scott.  O’Dowda

Martin 

Subs

O’Leary, Simpson, Kalas, Williams, Bell, Palmer, Wells

Not sure about subs, but I think that will be the starting eleven, and Scott starting will give the home crowd one helluva buzz.  I don’t think Nige will pick Scott because of that, but if there was that rationale you could understand it.  First game back, young exciting 17 year old in the eleven….crowd are gonna be right behind him.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure about subs, but I think that will be the starting eleven, and Scott starting will give the home crowd one helluva buzz.  I don’t think Nige will pick Scott because of that, but if there was that rationale you could understand it.  First game back, young exciting 17 year old in the eleven….crowd are gonna be right behind him.

He's not played in front of a big crowd before, hopefully he's one of those that goes up a gear when doing so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start, but he may be eased in with 20/30 mins for a few games.

As an aside, the players are going to hyped up for the game, I hope that Baker and Palmer can time those tackles properly.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Team prediction 

Bentley

Vyner.  Baker. Atkinson. Dasilva

James. King

Weimann.  Scott.  O’Dowda

Martin 

Subs

O’Leary, Simpson, Kalas, Williams, Bell, Palmer, Wells

It’s all guesswork of course but I think that Simpson will be at RB and Wells up top in place of Scott. The shape of a 4-4-2 - to start with anyway.

Edited by Robbored
1 minute ago, Will b11 said:

Absolutely buzzing for today , hopefully we can make it a day to remember with fans coming back and hopefully a great atmosphere and all importantly an opening day win for Tc ! 

The atmosphere will be electric. Mixed feelings, pride of being a City Supporter, the TC tributes with ex City players being apart, Fellow mates that probably most have not seen for a while together at BS3. dads with sons and daughters going to the City shop and buying shirts and scarfs, letting NP know that the club is well supported in good times and bad, probably one of the best stadiums in this league, cider and pizza sales in the sports bar at no end of profit, red and white every where, every one happy. The list goes on and on. 

It will be a great day and COYRedsssssssss

• Like 1

Good Morning all (it's Afternoon here)  Great to see City back home again in a proper game with fans in place, hope all of you who go be careful and stay safe. Raining cats and dogs here, hope it's a fine day for the game there. Will be listening on the audio feed and willing the boy's on to a good win, God knows they need a really good win at home for a change. So 3 - 0 to us, Come On You Red's!!!!

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why would we be playing 4-4-2 when all throughout pre-season we've played a 4-2-3-1? Would make absolutely no sense ?

Read it again………..:cool2: 

Four defenders, 4 midfielders and two forwards fits a 4-4-2 shape but like all shapes and formations that’ll change throughout the game - I’ll bet that at kick off the line up will be 4-4-2 but within seconds that will change.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Good Morning all (it's Afternoon here)  Great to see City back home again in a proper game with fans in place, hope all of you who go be careful and stay safe. Raining cats and dogs here, hope it's a fine day for the game there. Will be listening on the audio feed and willing the boy's on to a good win, God knows they need a really good win at home for a change. So 3 - 0 to us, Come On You Red's!!!!

2-1 City win for me from a wet and windy arvo in Perth Australia.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Read it again………..:cool2: 

Four defenders, 4 midfielders and two forwards fits a 4-4-2 shape but like all shapes and formations that’ll change throughout the game - I’ll bet that at kick off the line up will be 4-4-2 but within seconds that will change.

Ok, I bet it won’t be. We’ve primarily used a 4-2-3-1 throughout pre-season so it would be bizarre to throw that out the window. 

• Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

its right back that is a worry for me. not sure Zac is championship standard. Hopefully he proves me wrong. coyr

Same. As an opposition team i think you would look to Vyner as a weak link you can expose. I think this season is a big on for Zac.

Won’t be there today as I’ve chosen to see how things go before getting back to the Gate. But enjoy the day to anyone who is going & stay safe. Hopefully getting off to a great start for what will be an interesting season. Will be emotional on quite a few fronts, first time Ashton Gate will have fans for a league game in such a long time & of course, the memory of TC. So with that in mind I’m going for a 3-0 City win, bringing back memories of that brilliant day in ‘86’. Enjoy everyone. COYR 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you’re at AG at 3pm just look at the team shape at kick off.

The way the team line up on the pitch when the game is being kicked off isn't the formation we're playing - you can't weasel out of it using that! You said you think we will play Wells and Martin meaning we'll play 4-4-2. We will almost certainly be using a 4-2-3-1 with only 1 recognised striker. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
38 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

It’s been a long 518 days since Fulham.

Makes 24 hours to Tulsa seem like a short walk!

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why would we be playing 4-4-2 when all throughout pre-season we've played a 4-2-3-1? Would make absolutely no sense ?

Believe it or not I don’t think we’ve played 4231 in pre-season apart from perhaps Exeter (a) when Scott played off of Wells.

Weimann partnered Martin in a 442 v Celtic.

Palmer played very close (almost as another striker) to Martin v Pompey, Plymouth and Villa (I called it a 4411).

Conway partnered Wells in a 442 v MK Dons.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter, but when we see 4231 we often think it’s 2 holding midfielders.  James isn’t naturally a holding / defensive midfielder, he likes to burst forward.  King certainly isn’t, although his opportunity to join the attack (Leicester days) might be slightly diminished in a City side.  So I don’t see the central two being classed as the en vogue double pivot that gets mis-used by people.

So I expect City to be more fluid under what Robbored describes as 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 forwards.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

4-4-2 for me

Have we actually started a game with both Wells and Martin in pre season?

It will be 4 2 3 1.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you’re at AG at 3pm just look at the team shape at kick off.

Just because there will be 2 people in the centre circle to kick off, doesn't mean we are playing 2 up front for 90 minutes.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Won’t be there today as I’ve chosen to see how things go before getting back to the Gate. But enjoy the day to anyone who is going & stay safe. Hopefully getting off to a great start for what will be an interesting season. Will be emotional on quite a few fronts, first time Ashton Gate will have fans for a league game in such a long time & of course, the memory of TC. So with that in mind I’m going for a 3-0 City win, bringing back memories of that brilliant day in ‘86’. Enjoy everyone. COYR 

"see how things go" what covert or if City starts winning