IGNORED

2021/22 Matchday No. 1 - Bristol City v. Blackpool

Pretty much everyone knew before today that goal scoring was going to be one of our biggest challenges, today simply reinforced it. Despite being the better team for large periods we never really looked like getting a second goal and when we did create chances, COD and AW for example in the first half, we could not even hit the target.

So, IMO we need to strengthen our forward line and that means selling someone. We have three weeks to do those deals otherwise, I fear, we will be in for a tough season with few goals. 

I know we have NW and AS to consider however I can’t see us scoring many unless we add someone.

To be clear lots of other aspects of our performance today were encouraging. 

4 minutes ago, Mihai said:

I won't watch games anymore cause I have my evening ruined. I will start to watch if I see wins in a row on the website live 

Not sure how to tell you this - and your enjoyment of your evening, the result will be the same if you watch it or not. 

Making comments like that is almost at the low level of an opportunist ‘plastic fan’. It’s about supporting your club through thick and thin - so man up!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Langford Red said:

Its going to be a very long season

We have to forget Promotion

We will get lots of bad results

Hope the manager knows what he is doing????

Oh well the GASH lost

We have to FORGET promotion? Are you for real? Seriously, did you think before today that we could. finish top 6 this season?

My take was sell a surplus midfield player, get someone in who can hit the net 12-15 times and we’ll be alright. The bed wetters are right at it this evening though?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Pretty much everyone knew before today that goal scoring was going to be one of our biggest challenges, today simply reinforced it. Despite being the better team for large periods we never really looked like getting a second goal and when we did create chances, COD and AW for example in the first half, we could not even hit the target.

So, IMO we need to strengthen our forward line and that means selling someone. We have three weeks to do those deals otherwise, I fear, we will be in for a tough season with few goals. 

I know we have NW and AS to consider however I can’t see us scoring many unless we add someone.

We need pace AND goals.

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Plenty of chances because as you put it Blackpool are doomed and completely dogshit,not sure how you think we will be fine but I do but that’s just my heart hoping there is one more team worse than us

Blackpool’s pre-season was impacted by Covid and they’ve loads of injuries. 

On the other hand we’ve had, according to our manager, a very good pre-season and near fully fit squad. 

An interesting start … when we, yet again, concede in injury time.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Premier league name their squads soon so there will be lots of loans to pick from before window closes and the big merry go round starts 

(Understrength) Blackpool were one of the weaker teams we will face and we didn't convert dominance into points. 

I think the 'where will the goals come from?' question remains unanswered.

That was a reasonable performance but it needs to improve as time goes by. We definitely can't afford for performances to decline. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We have to FORGET promotion? Are you for real? Seriously, did you think before today that we could. finish top 6 this season?

My take was sell a surplus midfield player, get someone in who can hit the net 12-15 times and we’ll be alright. The bed wetters are right at it this evening though?

We're in a relegation scrap. Strap in. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We're in a relegation scrap. Strap in. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Blackpool could have nicked it, finished much stronger. They were not terrible, that's wishful thinking.

I thought that the fact we are apparently a lot fitter now would mean we would be more able to cope with this type of situation. But I suppose it is early days yet. But a shame that we have already dropped points at home.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

I thought that the fact we are apparently a lot fitter now would mean we would be more able to cope with this type of situation. But I suppose it is early days yet. But a shame that we have already dropped points at home.

Half cup full…we got a point at home, for the first time in a while…

A performance that probably sums up where we are right now.

Decent and well organised, we’ll create chances, but will need to create a lot given we look pretty toothless up front.

Defence is a concern. We will have games where we’ll hang on for a win and times when we won’t, like this afternoon.

Mid-table stuff, better if we can fix either the conversion rate or chances conceded. Worse if we don’t. 

Work to be done.

• Like 3

Thought our general standard of play was notably better than last season (not a huge challenge!). Shame we didn't convert the chances we made in the first half, but it's encouraging that we we're actually making some good chances.

I thought we looked quite comfortable for large parts of the game. Really disappointing that we weren't able to see it out and offered Blackpool a number of opportunities towards the end. 

Very much feels like a game we should have won - I really wasn't impressed with Blackpool. 2 points dropped.

• Like 5

With Martin up front on his own, thought he played well, ideally at least one of the three behind him is a reasonably natural goal scorer. Scott may turn out to be, but Palmer, Weimann and O’Dowda aren’t. Sorting a loan, playing Bell left, or how to get Wells/Conway on the pitch, feels critical. 

But much better than last season and too soon for rampant pessimism (or optimism). 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I don't think it's fitness but mentality. The longer the game goes on the more scared we get. This is a long standing problem with no sign of a solution yet.

• Flames 1