IGNORED

2021/22 Matchday No. 1 - Bristol City v. Blackpool

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

What about the striker he left on the bench?

Whichever striker was left on the bench, or even if he had started them both, the fact remains he wants another. Hardly surprising given our scoring record.

Unfortunately we don't have any money. So I imagine he will rotate Martin and Wells and hope for the best.

That is the position the previous regime has left us in.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

What about the striker he left on the bench?

Wells looked frustrated warming up, especially as the game went on; we thought he was getting the nod & even Williams looked surprised when he was called back to get ready to come on. 

Perfectly respectable performance today. I enjoyed long sections of it. We so easily could have won, and should have.

But that's football. A last minute concession to concede points is SO Bristol City I'm surprised anyone is surprised by it - myself included!

It's a long season, a season of consolidation. Not sure what some people were expecting. We'll be fine.

Great to be back at the Gate!

• Like 1

I think Vyner did well at right back.  Massive improvement on the what we've had previously.  For me the problem is inside of him.  We have to play a right footed centre half.  Baker's card was insane.  He didn't go with the runner for their goal when he was nearest.  It's either Baker or Atkinson with Kalas for me.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Wells looked frustrated warming up, especially as the game went on; we thought he was getting the nod & even Williams looked surprised when he was called back to get ready to come on. 

Did Sam Bell even warm up, from the Dolman I didn’t notice him doing so? Only saw Kalas, Simpson and Wells at various times. And why sub Palmer, I thought other players were more obvious? Get Kalas on to shore up the game, or Wells to try to get another goal. Bell didn’t make the best sense for me.

Gutted. By and large we controlled the game, looked quite assured at the back and should have won easily. but while we played some delightful football we didn't get enough balls into the box and didn't test their shaky keeper anything like enough. Nevertheless a great improvement on the back end of last season. All the new boys played well, I particularly liked Atkinson's positioning and young Alex Scott put in a really good shift. We definitely lost something when he and Palmer went off. Understood the Scott substitution as he looked knackered at but Palmer's withdrawal seemed unnecessary to me. 

Disappointed to drop 2 points but we go again. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Super said:

Kicked ball away i thought

Bloody hell, the number of times it happens against us or the offender picks up the ball and walks away and it's ignored! If only refs could be consistent. The only player I saw get booked for diving last season was our very own Wells.

Couple of good VAR decisions in the Olympics when the ref changed his mind about penalties. 

Switched off on the 90th minute expecting you to hold on, only just seen it finished 1-1. You should been out of sight first half, just a real lack of quality in the finishing and final ball. I expect King to bury that header and the wild attempt from Weimann was desperately poor. It was a reasonably controlled if unspectacular performance that should have been a comfortable win. Looked a mid-table side for me and that’s surely where this season is headed.

Thought Scott was good and solved a problem I saw at the end of the last season in terms of nobody getting between the lines.

For me the problems were, and it’s not too dissimilar to what I saw the end of last season, you need some pace or at least some runners. I don’t see anyone really looking in behind or picking the ball up and carrying it. Also RB looks a big problem, Vyner was woeful going forward and Simpson is very much defensively minded.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
54 minutes ago, RedM said:

Did Sam Bell even warm up, from the Dolman I didn’t notice him doing so? Only saw Kalas, Simpson and Wells at various times. And why sub Palmer, I thought other players were more obvious? Get Kalas on to shore up the game, or Wells to try to get another goal. Bell didn’t make the best sense for me.

Yeah he was warming up throughout the 2nd half along with Wells

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mozo said:

I think the 'where will the goals come from?' question remains unanswered.

They will keep coming from looped crosses to the back stick, where Chris Martin will inexplicably always be in acres of space, and where he will power headers back across goal into the far corner of the opposition net, past the despairing dive of each and every Championship keeper this season. 

1 hour ago, KingswoodReds? said:

Did anyone work out the identity that Pearson was on about during the week? I'm still trying to work it out.. also Sam Bell is a ridiculous sub when trying to see out a game with tomas kalas on the bench 

Some of our players actually made tackles today if that helps 

No need to panic with just that result, but would quite like a new striker and winger in. Maybe someone on loan could work? 

So pleased for Alex Scott, and Pearson seemed to have confidence in him in the post match interview. Although that's a marked change from last season, were he said repeatedly that we shouldn't have to rely on youth players and they should only come in when it's easy for them to play and less pressure. And yet here he is starting Alex Scott in the first game of the season? I don't mind at all, and think it's great for Scott to be honest, but just noticed that was a marked change in stance from Pearson.

Today was a microcosm of our season to come. We'll concede few, yet score fewer. We were better organised, though that's cold comfort. A poor Blackpool deserved a point.

Martin did OK & won more headers than City did the final dozen games last season, as did the kid. Grealish wanabee maybe but socks and barnet aside he showed good aerial skills, balance and commitment. Brightest aspect on show today.

King & James were unspectacular though were decently negative in stopping Blackpool playing.

Atkinson looks no natural athlete and reminds of Flint. Did little wrong but Webster he ain't, so don't expect that of him.

Vyner looked under pressure all afternoon, DaSilva coped with what he needed to, though their strikers were always ahead of our line and troubled us more than we did they.

O'Dowda is one of WeeLee's 'Carousel' remainders and although only lasting 12 mins reminded why we never should have renewed his contract when we did. Could be the last we see of him. If so, that's not a bad thing.

Palmer flatters. He does good things but gifts the ball far too easily and not in a creative, attacking sense. Pearson doubtless took him off for his final two, soft, ceded defensive passes. Either way it didn't work or matter.

Flappy Wiemann flapped as always. Nearly gets there, never does. Wastes chances when given the opportunity.  I personally would have subbed him after 50 in favour of Wells. We desperately needed to take the game to them and didn't. We're impotent upfront and the 1 in 6+ Flappy offers does us few favours. To those who say he isn't a stricker I'd counter then what is he? Nearly man, that's what.

Bentley - needs to learn to how 'own the box' and 'catch and collect'. Until then we'll struggle as a defensive unit with speculative balls into the box. Were I an opposition manager I'd be exploiting his weakness all afternoon.

Those players who didn't figure one assumes are the quid pro quo for the awful financial figures we'll post soon. We have to take anything for anybody of value, it'll be that bad. Pearson knows that.  WeeLee's legacy pervades.

It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. It'll be a long, hard season.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
4 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

What a load of absolute nonsense. There are 45 games to go. Do you have this knee jerk reaction every season?

Weirdly embarrassing.

Not knee jerk at all, take your marina Dolman sunglasses off and tell me who on this squad as a whole is scoring more than 45 goals this season because I can't see it. I'd love to jump on the love train but this squad is shit and will do nothing in this league (in my opinion)

12 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Presume you meant Covid, as I’m not that embarrassed to support City! My lad is in the vulnerable category. So we are just going to see how things develop & go from there. Certainly won’t have anything to do with City starting to win, can never rely on that! COYR 

Simon, apologies

39 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Not knee jerk at all, take your marina Dolman sunglasses off and tell me who on this squad as a whole is scoring more than 45 goals this season because I can't see it. I'd love to jump on the love train but this squad is shit and will do nothing in this league (in my opinion)

I appreciate you’re a glass half empty kind of character but I’m hard pushed to see you as a Bristol City supporter. If you think I’m being harsh look up the definition. I don’t doubt we all want what’s best for the club but give it a rest. Time will tell if you’re proven right but surely even you is hoping not.

48 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I confidently predict no player in our squad will score more than 45 goals this season ...

• Haha 1

Just had a quick skim through the most recent pages of the matchday thread on the Blackpool forum.

Comments include:

"I thought City were poor. They were gifted a soft goal. We started the brightest and finished the brightest. If we’d have had a full strength team today we’d have beaten them."

"In fairness you could say we had more opportunities i think most bristol fans will be thankful for the point."

It's interesting how differently each teams' fans see the game! I felt we were quite comfortably (and clearly!) the better team today. Weirdly, I don't seem to recall our fans looking jubilant and relieved to have claimed a point at full time!

9 hours ago, The Bard said:

Yeah sack him. We conceded a goal. Completely unacceptable 

The critical factor we bought Pearson in to sort out is character.  He has himself given it the big I am on strength of character and our transfers have been about bringing characters into the team. And yet 7 months in and we still fail on … guess what? Character!

I know there were massive issues to sort out and it will take longer than 7 months for us to play great football.  But after what was supposed to be a critical summer and pre-season, we totally bottled it yet again - lumping the ball long, not being brave to find space and  retain possession, not taking individual responsibility for winning those battles.  It was a massive fail whichever way you look at it and I suspect Pearson will be more disappointed than anyone.

It’s the most fundamental thing he has to get right and the very first requirement.  He’s got time to sort it but he’s got to get it done because the team doesn’t have any longer to break this shite cycle we’re in.