IGNORED

2021/22 Matchday No. 1 - Bristol City v. Blackpool

5 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Much improved performance even if we gifted a late equaliser , taking away the opportunity to end a terrible run of home form. We were far better organised and looked for the majority of the game in control. Until the Blackpool subs , we were rarely troubled. Confidence is a big thing , and we still look short of that , that shows with our passing . We only showed glimpses of incisive moves , and too often conceded possession , by going back to Bentley , who launched long. Martin had a decent game , but as a lone striker with minimal pace, it is always going to be a limiting factor. We lacked width at times, and looked narrow. As we are playing 4 at tha back, that constrains the full backs , not that Vyner will excel as an attacking full back, but it loses also JD as an attacking threat.  With the players available , that is going to be a compromise this season. JD is going to get targeted at the back post all season . Midfield , James and King did ok , King better than I had anticipated and both will only get better. Great cross from King for the goal. Scott and KP were in and out of the game neither really creating much. Weimann , worked hard, created little, missed a great chance. I also felt we tired badly in the last 10 minutes. Maybe due to Blackpool opening us up, but that was a surprise after all the fitness talk. 

It is going to need a boost of confidence to see this group come alive. For periods we were most workmanlike, with little flair or pace in our game. Scoring goals and creating chances will be the greatest challenge as everyone knows. Blackpool are going to struggle , that is the nature of the league, but first game of the season will not define our season either. It was more important that we showed some semblance of cohesion. We did that , and also showed glimpses of where we can become very good. The fall out of the Ashton transfer work , combined with our dire FFP situation means we cannot simply spend our way out by signing the 2/3 players we need. So this season it is important we compete in every game and take every point we can. We do have HNM and Antoine to some back, both have great energy . Kalas we might want to sell for financial reasons, but no way Baker going to last a season with his full on attack mode . Williams looks a fair bit away from his best , but that will come. We really need a forward , Wells , how does he fit in ?How can we afford a forward ? We cannot . So it is a bit of a struggle to see how we solve that. 

Shame we did not get that confidence boosting home win, but much to work on and build on. This team will get better . 

Good, sense of realism post.  It’s gonna take a bit of time to knit together, but there were plenty more positive signs than negative signs weren’t there?

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Does anyone know the xG for yesterday? 

I would have thought that it was notably higher than 1?

30AC2C4E-16FE-49EE-ABF6-BD15B22FACD2.jpeg

19 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Not sure how to tell you this - and your enjoyment of your evening, the result will be the same if you watch it or not. 

Making comments like that is almost at the low level of an opportunist ‘plastic fan’. It’s about supporting your club through thick and thin - so man up!

Your comment is pretty mean and I bet you don't understand what I am talking about.

Some of us are maybe not strong enough mentally to get through games like that.

A plastic fan won't even come to write here and won't even bother to get angry. My both football teams are pretty shite for years and yea, I am frustrated double times than you are. I like two clubs that are not doing anything for years, it is my total right to make any comments I want. 

I saw a lot more idiotic comments around here and I was not calling them out.

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Didn’t manage to make the game yesterday but going by stats and peoples opinion of the 92 mins before the equaliser we were a lot better and more attacking than last season ?

or is it all doom and gloom still?

Definitely better in most departments.

Perhaps losing the lead highlights, however, that we still have issues with our fitness or our mindset or both.