IGNORED

2021/22 Matchday No. 1 - Bristol City v. Blackpool

Overall I thought we looked decent enough. It took us a while to get going, but we grew into the game and dominated most of it. 

Atkinson had a good debut. We pressed them well and looked organised. 

Blackpool got behind us a couple of times and the warning signs were there before they equalised. 

We look short of pace up front.

Based on today’s game Blackpool are going to struggle. 

Gutted about the result. I hope that doesn’t dent the team’s confidence. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Oh well after one game its all over

City Blackpool and Derby doomed

Hull champions by a mile

oh wait just remembered a season is 46 games 

Some of you lot need to get a ducking grip 

It amazes me that some in here choose to follow something that so clearly affects their mental health in an adverse way. Find something or someone who makes you happy.

It wasn’t awful but concerning that once they started throwing punches back we caved in and reverted to what we have seen the past few seasons. Concerning we can’t get more than 1 past a decimated blackpool at home.

If we are going to play Martin on his own then we need goal scoring wide players. 

Thought the Baker Atkinson pairing was good but their sub started running that channel between Vyner and Baker and NB looked much less comfortable defending from that side. 

There are more little things like that but is matchday 1 so I expect improvement but imo we should be beating teams like Blackpool at home. 

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We have to FORGET promotion? Are you for real? Seriously, did you think before today that we could. finish top 6 this season?

My take was sell a surplus midfield player, get someone in who can hit the net 12-15 times and we’ll be alright. The bed wetters are right at it this evening though?

Langford Red  used to be Bicester Red. Tells you all you need to know.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
41 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Our best bet for the season is keeping clean sheets given we don't have goals in us.

Sadly we still look like a scared team when the pressure is on. Nigel isn't going to change that mentality overnight.

Overnight? He’s been in charge since Feb - 7 months and we are still have no backbone.  How long are you suggesting he needs. Good pre season and all was supposed to be different.   

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

A performance that probably sums up where we are right now.

Decent and well organised, we’ll create chances, but will need to create a lot given we look pretty toothless up front.

Defence is a concern. We will have games where we’ll hang on for a win and times when we won’t, like this afternoon.

Mid-table stuff, better if we can fix either the conversion rate or chances conceded. Worse if we don’t. 

Work to be done.

I share that concern about the defence. We failed to pick up runners, gave away sill free kicks (in positions we conceded from so many times last year), failed to be first to the ball, and got away with it because they weren’t great in the final third. Against better sides we’d have been punished. 

41 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not really. Williams not fully fit. Nagy rumoured to be off. 

What have you heard about Nagy?

He’d have been who I’d have brought on if we were trying to get better control of the midfield late into the game so there probably is some truth in the rumour wherever it might be

9 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Overnight? He’s been in charge since Feb - 7 months and we are still have no backbone.  How long are you suggesting he needs. Good pre season and all was supposed to be different.   

It is different the transfer budget was 1.5million and we cannot afford the striker we desperately needed. How long do you think it takes to turn a team around from relegation form to a quality team. I think it is longer than 7 months.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

A culture of fear was built up over years by Johnson and and Holden. It can also infect new players coming in if they sense their teammates are panicking.

It's a lot easier to improve physical fitness than mental. It took Klopp a couple of years to change the mentality at Liverpool for instance.

It's going to be a long haul I suspect.

9 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It is different the transfer budget was 1.5million and we cannot afford the striker we desperately needed. How long do you think it takes to turn a team around from relegation form to a quality team. I think it is longer than 7 months.

Didnt NP himself say it would that 3 seasons to be competitive when he joined ?

NP’s current brief seems to be yes, you can sign a new player, one we evidently need to be remotely competitive, but you’ll have to sell one first and, oh yes, he’ll have to be a free. Not blaming anyone for this- except the Chinese chap who thought wild bat was a good barbecue option- but how long do you think that LJ would have lasted under the same conditions?

• Like 1