IGNORED

big match is on earlier than usual

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

ITV4 at 08:25 from 19/20 february1977

We beat Man City 1-0 at home

who recalls the goal scorer?

That was the day I got married, I intended to catch the highlights later but was rather busy that night  and never got around to watching ..  so thanks I'll watch now 44 years later! ?

49 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Tony Book infamously said in the lead up to the match that we weren't good enough to lace their boots. 

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It was Mick Doyle.

I am so glad you posted that, Nogbad.

As he (TB) was a local lad (Bath), I always used to enjoy watching him on MotD, together with his colleagues, Colin Bell and Mike Summerby, and I would have been so disappointed had he made such a crass comment.

Yes Chris Garland scored what turned out to be the winner, and all hell broke out in the Park End.

My eleven year-old self actually quite enjoyed watching what appeared to be World War III on fast forward, from the relative safety of the enclosure.

I think it was after that the club installed higher segregation fencing. 

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am so glad you posted that, Nogbad.

As he (TB) was a local lad (Bath), I always used to enjoy watching him on MotD, together with his colleagues, Colin Bell and Mike Summerby, and I would have been so disappointed had he made such a crass comment.

Yep, don't think making comments like that was Tony Book's style at all - far from it.

3 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yes Chris Garland scored what turned out to be the winner, and all hell broke out in the Park End.

My eleven year-old self actually quite enjoyed watching what appeared to be World War III on fast forward, from the relative safety of the enclosure.

I think it was after that the club installed higher segregation fencing. 

I’m slightly older you and had qualified for the County Championship Cross Country Final. I declined to run while simultaneously feigning an injury to get to the game. I remembertheManC hit squad being led out in front of me at the park end and the goal!

19 hours ago, handsofclay said:

It was a Garland shot having met the ball at the edge of the Man City wall and Mick Doyle made the derogatory comment about City after the match not before as it was called a case of sour grapes

I looked up Mike Doyle and found Brian Glanville's obituary in the guardian. Apparently Mike was a bit of a spiky, rabid Blue Mooner - Glanville likened him to Gary Neville - but he died of liver failure at just 64, having been an alcoholic and he had sought help from Tony Adams' Sporting Chance.

In a week where Big Nige mentions letting anger go because it only chews you up, it would seem Mike could've done with being less salty and sour as your post suggests there.

Archived