IGNORED

Positives from today’s game.

Major Isewater

Thought we were a bit hard done by, huffed and puffed but wasn’t enough and have switched off at the end. Neither side looked special.

What i didn’t understand was the constant balls in behind for Martin to run on to. He’s a competent championship forward, but he needs it into feet, not running in behind.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We were poor,

This was Blackpool not West Brom,

If we can't beat them at home then we will be relegated

Poor game management took our best 2 players off and replaced them with two who didn't even get into the game

What's the performance under person now.played 15 won 1?

Sorry nowhere near hood enough, we shouldn't be settling for this bollocks just because we have a big name in charge

I don't like being too negative after one game but unfortunately this is going to be another tough season to watch. Blackpool will be bottom 6.

If we can move on 1 or 2 players and bring in decent funds to replace them with a couple of pacey aggressive forward options then my mind may change, but otherwise i just don't see us scoring enough goals to finish top half

Positives:-

We looked a lot fitter, quicker and physically wpn our share of the duels.

I thought Atkinson, and Baker both had very good games.

For a full debut, Scott looked not out of place. It was a shame about COD going off early, as he had already made two runs in behind; and had started strongly.

Martin won a lot of flick ons, and there was runners off these (Weimann, Scott etc).

Negatives:-

Real missed opportunity to put least season to bed, with a first win under NP at Ashton Gate.

Blackpool will struggle this season, snd are of course one of the weaker sides on the division. Last season our results against teams in the bottom six was particulary bad. We need to take our chances.

We still don't have a cutting edge going forward. No shots on target second half, and although we huffed and puffed and pressed well. We didn't turn it into chances.

I think we still look weak in both full back areas. The JD of a few years ago is still absent; and those driving runs seem a thing of the past. He's small for a left back, and will get targetted in air repeatedly.

KP still an enigma. He will try to hit those passes that others perhaps wouldn't. But his pass completion rate must only be about 60-65%. I lost track of how many times that apologetic hand came out from him to apologise for a misplaced pass, or error that had put his team under pressure. He also wants that extra touch, and shield that slows down the team at times. 

I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from again unfortunately. Maybe a new striker wouldn give us some additional options. But not putting Wells on, when we needed that 2nd goal to close put the game was perhaps in hindsight an error.

It would certainly have given them something else to think about as there was a lot of tired players out there in the end.

We didn't lose, but of course it was a massive missed opportunity.

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Thought we were a bit hard done by, huffed and puffed but wasn’t enough and have switched off at the end. Neither side looked special.

What i didn’t understand was the constant balls in behind for Martin to run on to. He’s a competent championship forward, but he needs it into feet, not running in behind.

I heard him absolutely hammer Atkinson in the first half for not going in behind the full back for him! Seemed like a tactic to force Blackpool to sit a bit deeper?

Alex Scott looked very good. A 17 year old playing the way he did was quite mesmerising 

Matty James looks like he can pass a ball with a bit of vision 

Palmer looked superb for an hour of the game before fading. Some of his tackling was proper 

Good to see Dasilva and Weimann back, who both looked fully fit and full of energy 

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I would have thought a half decent right back (half decent being a better option than Vyner) would be easier and cheaper to come by 

But if we have no money now any we might raise with sales will have to go towards a striker. It's the one position Nigel said he wanted to fill that we haven't.

Simpson is the right back he wanted so I would think that was it for that position.

It was great to be a back, I missed you all apart from the waft of apple tinged urine at half time 

We played well, much better compared to last season & enjoyed the match, gutted to conceded in last seconds but I trust NP to use this as an early learning point & we grow from here.

Feeling positive about season ahead, we had a lot of chances & need to start taking them more clinically.

• Atkinson impressed on his championship debut  
  • Scott is going to be some player for us this season
  • Palmer seemed fired up & ready to go this, be great to see a consistent player
  • James is a quality signing
  • Hope Baker can stay fit all season as he was good today

Hopefully this is the last time we switch off in dying seconds this season

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

May as well give up the other 45 games if we are down already then. 

Ridiculous. 

That's fine, settle for 2nd best,

I want us winning at home against the easier sides, but yea 1-1 against Blackpool.is cause for celebration

13 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Positives:-

We looked a lot fitter, quicker and physically wpn our share of the duels.

I thought Atkinson, and Baker both had very good games.

For a full debut, Scott looked not out of place. It was a shame about COD going off early, as he had already made two runs in behind; and had started strongly.

Martin won a lot of flick ons, and there was runners off these (Weimann, Scott etc).

Negatives:-

Real missed opportunity to put least season to bed, with a first win under NP at Ashton Gate.

Blackpool will struggle this season, snd are of course one of the weaker sides on the division. Last season our results against teams in the bottom six was particulary bad. We need to take our chances.

We still don't have a cutting edge going forward. No shots on target second half, and although we huffed and puffed and pressed well. We didn't turn it into chances.

I think we still look weak in both full back areas. The JD of a few years ago is still absent; and those driving runs seem a thing of the past. He's small for a left back, and will get targetted in air repeatedly.

KP still an enigma. He will try to hit those passes that others perhaps wouldn't. But his pass completion rate must only be about 60-65%. I lost track of how many times that apologetic hand came out from him to apologise for a misplaced pass, or error that had put his team under pressure. He also wants that extra touch, and shield that slows down the team at times. 

I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from again unfortunately. Maybe a new striker wouldn give us some additional options. But not putting Wells on, when we needed that 2nd goal to close put the game was perhaps in hindsight an error.

It would certainly have given them something else to think about as there was a lot of tired players out there in the end.

We didn't lose, but of course it was a massive missed opportunity.

Know we have Semenyo to come back, but really pointless for both parties if Palmer is expected to be second choice left winger ffs

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But if we have no money now any we might raise with sales will have to go towards a striker. It's the one position Nigel said he wanted to fill that we haven't.

Simpson is the right back he wanted so I would think that was it for that position.

Unfortunately I think you are right about that, although even the loan market is worth looking at. I know this will still come at a cost but still worth it. Sterling at Chelsea has to be worth an enquiry at least.

I just felt we were a bit too finicky with our passing, too many tiny triangles but not gaining any distance. It was all very tight and compact but didn't produce anything. Some good spells of play, I enjoyed the game and the atmosphere but too much faffing around. 

Alex Scott was good. KP looked a lot fitter. Nice to have AW back…Great to be back with my friends that I hadn't seen for over a year. COYRs

51 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ah well, it was a nice idea for a thread.

On a Bristol city forum it was a very over optimistic idea for a thread! 

Positives:

Actually seeing a game live at Ashton Gate for the first time in 17 months.

Meeting a load of people that I haven’t seen in 17 months.

Scoring in the first half of a game.

Martin scoring in the first game of the season.

The team look fitter.

Atkinson looks like a great buy.

But, but, but….

We have minimal creativity. We will struggle with the formation with the currently personnel. We have no pace upfront. We didn’t deserve to win. How did we miss Lavery (Blackpool no 19 and sub who scored their equaliser)? Just the type of player we need.

Long season ahead and little chance of us troubling the top 6. Even mid table would be an achievement based in that performance.

Thought we were quite good and deserved to win that game. We need more quality in the final third and think we are going to be better away from home again. 

Hoping we can get a decent winger and striker in on loan as think that's what we are missing currently. 

Archived