IGNORED

Positives from today’s game.

Major Isewater

Lots and lots of positives for me.

It was tonnes better than last season, the 93rd minute goal will undoubtedly influence people’s posts in other threads that I’ve not got to yet.

Crap goal in circumstances, but 1-0 win has a different mood.

Without going into too much detail:

• Martin - my MOTM, involved in most of our attacks, won lots of headers, linked well….actually did one of their players for pace second half.  Nige - don’t burn him out
  • Atkinson - very assured, passed it well and started several moves
  • King - picked up so many loose balls by good positioning, just does the simple stuff very well
  • Scott - like Conway, football intelligence beyond his years, playing in a very difficult position.  Linked well with Martin and Weimann
  • Baker - just looked like the old Baker

There were other pleasing things like playing a high-line most of the time, winning tackles and imposing ourselves physically on our opponent.

Gutted by late equaliser, but it doesn’t undermine the positives.

Cold light of day thoughts:

Definitely much improved from what we have seen at home recently, though I still have some concerns in defence.

I was impressed with our physicality, some good, well timed robust tackles. Palmer with a couple of good ones to show there's more to his game than a pass. Baker back to being Baker, which for me was never a doubt it's just keeping fit. Atkinson, I said to a mate he's Webster lite. Seems a good signing on first look. Vyner needs time to settle into FB spot. He's looked quality in his previous roles, and I wonder if he found playing more central (CB & DMF) a little easier. I know he's had runs there before, but with 2 CB's there can be a lot in positional awareness, IMO he will improve. Great to see JD back, what a footballer.

The midfield is a big step forward as you would hope. Still early, but the movement, options and willingness to receive the ball in tight areas makes a massive difference. 

Martin was good, and I have to give him much more credit for the goal than I did at the time. From our angle it looked like the cross was so good (which it was) that all he had to do was nod (there was a bit more than that left). 
Where I was a little disappointed was finishing, Weimann's flash with his left and King's (?) header should have been goals. In a team that historically (2 years at least) that doesn't create loads of chances, those are big misses. 

I thought COD's injury unbalanced us a little, with COD's natural movement left it felt like he was making the pitch wider, KP's natural instinct is to cut in from the left. TBF he did cause problems and could have nicked a goal, decent save by the keeper.

I would criticise Pearson for the Subs. I thought Martin for Wells was the call, get a little pace on when they are tired and chasing. Shame about Nagy, I think he would have been perfect for those final 10 minutes. That is being a bit picky I guess.

I'll wait for @Davefevs to pick apart their goal properly , but I just think that late on, with players tired , it is just a good run by Bowler (possibly), in behind our MF, Vyner is a little wide and the 2 CBs have players. Yes it could have been avoided , but I'll put it down to a good run and cross. 

I think the team will change over the next month or so. Rotation and players stepping up, but I don't think we are too far away from a side that will create and entertain. That will certainly make a nice change.

There were a few positives from my perspective;

The centre backs looked solid and both had very good games.

The team were physically stronger than Blackpool, a few crunching tackles from Baker and Palmer.

Midfield actually looked like a midfield with James and King playing well.

Scott had a good game - I asked if he might be a bit daunted by a big crowd in another thread. He answered that.

Overall, putting the obvious negative of not being able to hit a cows arse with banjo when in front of goal, I was quite encouraged (relieved maybe) by the performance.

Archived