Top Robin

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

When did we last win a home game?

How many games has person won 

Where is the improvement?

We played Blackpool today not West brom

Not Preston not Barnsley flipping Blackpool

Sorry we should and need to be winning this sort of game,

Improvement in performance for 70 minutes is great but it's a 90 minute game and we weren't good enough for those 90 minutes

We lacked penetration, and attacking finesse, 

Completely agree. I thought Blackpool were such an ordinary side. A half decent side with a bit of zip up front would have seen them off comfortably. We have a team of plodders. God knows how we’re going to score enough goals when we play some of the better sides in this league.

Given how late the equaliser came, it didn't have any time to impact on the performance, yet if we'd hung on for the win I bet there'd be barely any complaints about how the performance was proof that we'll struggle.

Which goes to show that, as much as some people might make out that they look at performances when judging how we'll do this season, in reality they're solely going on results and will react accordingly.

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Clearly we all want him to do well, but there will come a time when the fans will start to turn on him if things go wrong.

OK he had a dreadful squad last season but I thought some of his tactics and team selections were a bit off the mark and it could have been better I feel.

Today was an improvement but then the old problems came back and just from a few reactions on here, it is clear that some fans are getting a bit frustrated.

I recon that around 5 games should give an idea what he is capable of doing with a team mainly created by himself.

Some seem to want him to do less well than others.

Not been meltdown today by any stretch of the imagination, but some posters only want to create a negative mood.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did they? I think it was almost unanimous he needed to go by the time he was sacked. 

Well...I spent a couple of years arguing that LJ was a fraud and often got dog's abuse for it. 

Let's not rewrite history. Many, many regular posters on OTIB thought Lee Johnson the bee's knees...until at the last moment they didn't. 

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We've not won a league game since March and around a handful in the league this calendar year. 

NP has won 2/3 in the league thus far. 

Apologies, I may be missing something obvious, but what do you mean by “NP has won 2/3 in the league thus far” - you say we haven’t won in the league since March so what does “2/3” mean? He’s won 2 out of every 3 league games? He’s won two-thirds of his league games? He’s won 2 or 3 league games? As I said, apologies if I’ve missed something obvious ... cheers 

4 hours ago, tin said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Most supporters know that.

Anyone expecting anything other than a tough season given the car crash NP inherited and the lack of cash to put it right is in for a shock. 

Today was better than virtually all of the turgid shit served up last season, IMO. 

And that is what I take away. Gutted we blew it at the end but FFS compare that to the last 42 games of last season. We now have a spring board and competition for places. 

Local Derby coming up against a team that will want to make a mark and what I think will be a lot of changes. I m very hopeful for the season. 

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Actually, I'll think you'll find most of those who are pissed off are looking at this from anything other than a one game thing. Lots appear to be about seeing through the emperor's new clothes and wondering based on form, when, if anything is going to improve. 

At present, statistically, NP is at time of writing our worst manager of all time I think. 

That focuses the mind a little and really for some they'd want to see more than that. 

Statistically Pearson's record is not quite as bad as Johnsons run about three/four years ago, which was ELEVEN points from 69, SIXTY NINE, available

Or the equivalent of three wins and two draws from twenty three matches.

We are all very disappointed to concede in the last few seconds of a game and it will take a while to repair, recover from four/five years of profligate spending on transfer fees and excessive wages by Johnson and Ashton and the medical mayhem of the last two seasons.

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Not contrarian at all. I said all last season that the squad and injury crisis wasn't as bad as people made out, and that the manager/s shouldn't get a pass because of that

I think the squad if fairly fit had its good points and its bad points...first 10 games showed this and even then there were injuries...

...However, this leads me onto the 2nd point which is that the injury crisis wasn't as bad as people made out- no, it was worse if anything! It was truly unbelievable, even factoring in Covid- even ******* players we were recalling from loan spells to cover for injuries were getting, er injured- unbelievably bad!

Do you not recall that at points last season we had 4, 5, or was it even 6 injured at the same time- at LB or those who could cover for it! That's just one position...

I think the question of the thread is being asked based on the pure stats/results/outcomes from the end of last season now ‘spilling’ over to this one (only 1 game though).

After the anticipation of the new season, I get that it’s frustrating & it’s a results business after all but let’s give NP the time with this new group of players - no conclusions can be drawn at this stage in my view. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

..However, this leads me onto the 2nd point which is that the injury crisis wasn't as bad as people made out- no, it was worse if anything! It was truly unbelievable, even factoring in Covid- even ******* players we were recalling from loan spells to cover for injuries were getting, er injured- unbelievably bad!

Do you not recall that at points last season we had 4, 5, or was it even 6 injured at the same time- at LB or those who could cover for it! That's just one position...

Agree. Our injury crisis last season is possibly the worst that I can recall seeing at a professional football club.

Did we partly bring it on ourselves through Ashton appointing a dreadful medical team and an inexperienced manager? Well that's a separate conversation....?

29 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agree. Our injury crisis last season is possibly the worst that I can recall seeing at a professional football club.

Did we partly bring it on ourselves through Ashton appointing a dreadful medical team and an inexperienced manager? Well that's a separate conversation....?

Dunno if I can recall any worse, agree on that one.

It is indeed, but just for context, I decided to look at the Injury thread from last year:

Only the League

Players who missed 50% and upwards:

• Williams 27 games + 18 games=45 games
  • Baker- 43 games
  • Walsh- 42 games
  • Weimann- 39 games
  • DaSilva- 33 games
  • Mawson 16 games + 10 games=26 games, Loan was terminated early sometime into the 2nd spell IIRC.
  • Paterson- 12 games + 14 games=26 games
  • Op. Edwards- 25 games
  • O'Dowda- 3 games + 14 games + 8 games=25 games

The latter was injured post recall, which brings me onto my next theme.

Players who were injured post recall or injured on loan and remained so on recall

• Watkins 13 games + 3 games + 7 games=23 games.
  • Adelakun- 22 games
  • Pring- 22 games
  • Nurse- 14 games

That's just to name some...words fail me as to just how bad it was over the season as a whole.

The LB point

Believe that the following were all injured concurrently at one point in time- yes some already covered in one category or another but just to lay it out.

• DaSilva
  • Rowe
  • Pring- Recalled
  • Nurse- Recalled
  • Sessegnon- Not a left sided player but could play there...but guess what...
  • O'Dowda as well probably, maybe could be shoe-horned in extremis- but guess what!

Well here we go again.......still lacking any sort of goal threat and searching for reasons why we are so mediocre.

We blame injuries yet when the likes of Weimann/Odowda return we remember they just run around a lot and are not in fact the goalscorer we crave. We look to the youngsters already here but they are far from champ standard and nowhere near exp enough to be anything but late subs. We then turn towards prev managers and the inherited players they brought in while saying our current one needs more time ....3year plan this time isnt it. Forgetting how many windows did we say LJ needed at his start?? and where did that end after seasons of pain.

So we go again, yes with a more exp manager but already strange decisions are being made.....Wells on the bench...really....our only goal threat hope according to many this season? (not a fan myself much preferred an interested Fammy) we will score a few but not enough without another stiker.

Hope for some cash input from Nagy/or anyone really as we are powderpuff in attack and that needs sorting and quick or there may be trouble ahead.

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Well here we go again.......still lacking any sort of goal threat and searching for reasons why we are so mediocre.

We blame injuries yet when the likes of Weimann/Odowda return we remember they just run around a lot and are not in fact the goalscorer we crave. We look to the youngsters already here but they are far from champ standard and nowhere near exp enough to be anything but late subs. We then turn towards prev managers and the inherited players they brought in while saying our current one needs more time ....3year plan this time isnt it. Forgetting how many windows did we say LJ needed at his start?? and where did that end after seasons of pain.

So we go again, yes with a more exp manager but already strange decisions are being made.....Wells on the bench...really....our only goal threat hope according to many this season? (not a fan myself much preferred an interested Fammy) we will score a few but not enough without another stiker.

Hope for some cash input from Nagy/or anyone really as we are powderpuff in attack and that needs sorting and quick or there may be trouble ahead.

Based on one competitive game…………:cool2: where City created several chances but scored only one.

Nige has already said that we need another striker and based on yesterday’s game we can all see why. That said He needs to sell to buy and Nagy and Kalas are likely the be a source of income but in the meantime Nige will have to utilise the availability of the youngsters and it’ll be interesting to see who he plays Tuesday eve at FGR. it’ll be a good opportunity for Bell, Scott, Pearson et el to impress.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Based on one competitive game…………:cool2: where City created several chances but scored only one.

Nige has already said that we need another striker and based on yesterday’s game we can all see why. That said He needs to sell to buy and Nagy and Kalas are likely the be a source of income but in the meantime Nige will have to utilise the availability of the youngsters and it’ll be interesting to see who he plays Tuesday eve at FGR. it’ll be a good opportunity for Bell, Scott, Pearson et el to impress.

I know this sounds simplistic but can't Lansdown provide the money for a striker and get paid back once we sell whoever.

As a billionaire, I am sure he can get his hands on the money and we really need that striker asap. 

Desperate situations lead to desperate measures. 

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I know this sounds simplistic but can't Lansdown provide the money for a striker and get paid back once we sell whoever.

As a billionaire, I am sure he can get his hands on the money and we really need that striker asap. 

It’s not about having cash/funds available from SL, it’s about working within FFP limits on what we can spend.

Or would you prefer a transfer embargo and points deduction?

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

FFP regulations 

18 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It’s not about having cash/funds available from SL, it’s about working within FFP limits on what we can spend.

Or would you prefer a transfer embargo and points deduction?

Despite your patronising last sentence, thanks for clearing that up

10 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Given how late the equaliser came, it didn't have any time to impact on the performance, yet if we'd hung on for the win I bet there'd be barely any complaints about how the performance was proof that we'll struggle.

Which goes to show that, as much as some people might make out that they look at performances when judging how we'll do this season, in reality they're solely going on results and will react accordingly.

And that is pretty much it.

I didn't get carried away with our start last season as for the most of it we never looked in control. Early season games are about performances as much as results and building momentum in the performance. 

I was a reactionary to our performances last season because at times we were clinging on to most matches from October onwards. 

Yesterday was not the perfect result, nor performance, but it was way more controlled and professional than anything I saw from last season. A stupid mistake in 92nd minute doesn't change that. What I saw on the pitch was improvement and a bit of hope.

There is one particular poster on here who couldn't wait for Blackpool to equalise and wasn't even at the game and is desperate for NP to fail. A total ?

14 hours ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Why was he sat in the stand for the whole game. ??‍♂️

You can see more from the stand than you can see on the touch line. You can see the positioning of the players better and a better structure of the opposing team.

NP is also a good manager and OK we should have been 3 up by half time. Give him a break for christ sake and lets see where we are mid September. 

A first match and a draw and there is what over 20 or so posting dissapointing comments already. Some are constructive but some are just utter scare mongering already 

Seen more effort and desire in that game yesterday than I did for 80% of last season, quite frankly. We would have lost that game last year. It’s an improvement in performance but clearly there’s still work to be done. I don’t know what people expect , we are a work in progress. Get behind them ffs. Anyway, for what it’s worth, we were comfortable for the majority of that game, if we don’t concede that goal people talk about a solid start and excitement for what’s to come as we look to steadily improve throughout the season . But we did, and it happens. Get over it. And get behind the team!

22 minutes ago, City oz said:

You can see more from the stand than you can see on the touch line. You can see the positioning of the players better and a better structure of the opposing team.

NP is also a good manager and OK we should have been 3 up by half time. Give him a break for christ sake and lets see where we are mid September. 

A first match and a draw and there is what over 20 or so posting dissapointing comments already. Some are constructive but some are just utter scare mongering already 

Sorry but I can understand that for the first half, a lot of managers do that. But second half he should have been in the technical area, where he can organise and not leave it to his number 2…

26 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Sorry but I can understand that for the first half, a lot of managers do that. But second half he should have been in the technical area, where he can organise and not leave it to his number 2…

So you don't think he was able to be in communication or send down any instructions to the dug out, get real FFS

8 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I totally agree. It's the worst season for major injuries that I have seen since 1950 when I started supporting Bristol City.

Liverpool last season found it difficult to cope with a large number of centre backs and midfielders injured. We had a complete team and a two or three injured for a large majority of the season!

Archived