IGNORED

When will fans turn against Nige

Top Robin

1 hour ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Sorry but I can understand that for the first half, a lot of managers do that. But second half he should have been in the technical area, where he can organise and not leave it to his number 2…

Maybe he was just enjoying his red padded seat in the lansdown stand soaking up the atmoshper on the great day full of nostalgia and TC history and his first chance to soak up what the great stadium has to offer, looking at the great City supporters, looking at the away end, getting a few free coldies at half time, watching his players from above so he could see where they were trying to position their selves in stratgeic positions, looking from above from where players did the wrong thing so he could highlight what areas of their game they could work on, if we can not sign a forward or a winger and which player he has can adjust to this position.

Let me know when next you go to Head coaching academy so your notes can be passed on to NP.

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Given how late the equaliser came, it didn't have any time to impact on the performance, yet if we'd hung on for the win I bet there'd be barely any complaints about how the performance was proof that we'll struggle.

Which goes to show that, as much as some people might make out that they look at performances when judging how we'll do this season, in reality they're solely going on results and will react accordingly.

Absolutely, you are seeing from too many posters an inability to deal with disappointment bordering on childish rather than an objective opinion on the game. We should have seen the game out and that is disappointing but it doesn't define the season. What amazes me is that so many people are quite frankly INCAPABLE of looking beyond the 90 minutes they have just seen. These are the same people who said Semenyo was a League 2 player and are now saying we need him in the side when he's fit.

These people make no allowance whatsoever that weeks and months of training will make a difference to our performance. We can all see an improvement already since the end of last season (except those who clearly have an agenda and don't want to or, as you say, are so stupid they can only see results and that's it) but that's not it, all done, nowhere else to go!! We will continue to get better and our team selection will obviously evolve over the season.

I suppose it's just that much easier to moan and offer reactionary opinions on what you saw on that particular day because it doesn't involve the ability and effort to have to think beyond that. Typical internet age, journalistic style sensationalism over something pretty trivial (football team loses concentration and throws away two points in game they should have closed out shocker).

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Seen more effort and desire in that game yesterday than I did for 80% of last season, quite frankly. We would have lost that game last year. It’s an improvement in performance but clearly there’s still work to be done. I don’t know what people expect , we are a work in progress. Get behind them ffs. Anyway, for what it’s worth, we were comfortable for the majority of that game, if we don’t concede that goal people talk about a solid start and excitement for what’s to come as we look to steadily improve throughout the season . But we did, and it happens. Get over it. And get behind the team!

A very obvious and accurate assessment tbh. As for the highlighted bit that's far too much of an ask for far too many unfortunately. We have a ground packed full of Olympic Gold Medallist Bellyachers atm and that's after 18 months away so imagine what it will be like when they get back into "form"..........

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We went on similar runs in 2016/17, 2017/18 and before LJ was sacked in the first covid season. 

During those times including the first run, the tension and discord was massive. 

You've mentioned 11 points from 23 games. 

Were 10 from 15/16 games at the moment. 

Here we are yet again under a 'name' manager, repeating again and throwing out the S'oD excuses book to cover a slew of poor results which apparently absolve an awful run.

Tuchel according to many has turned around Chelsea for example in much less time and there will be plenty of others across the football league pyramid who've done more in less time. It can be done, yet we arent can't or wont do this yet. 

For those agitated by NPs lack of progression, it's going need results on the board soon or people will be more open to calling for him to go. 

This time there's much less of a kneejerk and they are in the main coming up with considered opinion and stats. 

When people start doing that rather than starting polls etc to say should he go, then it's clear we have issues. 

Come on!! Tuchel has a complete different quality of player to work with than Pearson. Have a read of @Mr Popodopolous summation of the injury situation last season (it's even worse than you remember it tbh) then add in the contract situation of many players that was needlessly inflamed mid-season by our incompetent CEO and tell me that wasn't a huge mitigating factor in our results. We were putting out teams with 3-4 "kids" in last season against men at Championship level, we had players like Marley Watkins apparently "hiding" in the HPC building in order to AVOID training, and we got pumped most weeks.....well blow me sideways!!

There is a small minority, that's what it is whether those on that side of the fence accept it or not, of posters on here who want Pearson out of the door and have done literally since the day Danny Simpson walked into Ashton Gate (that's an opinion people are of course entitled to but it does provide a backdrop to the dissatisfaction of some). The issue being the "Pearson Outers" have the loudest voices and post the same thing multiple times in multiple threads and use sensationalist language when doing so presumably in order to get people "onside" with their opinion. It really doesn't make their opinion any more valid or correct than the majority of posters who are supporting NP using less vitriolic language.

Where I disagree with you is that the reaction to yesterday was kneejerk. I base that opinion on the performance I saw yesterday which I value a lot more than statistics garnered with the above circumstances in mind (that's not a dig at you personally who was working and couldn't make it). In addition I don't recall Nigel making any excuses yesterday, I thought he pretty much told it as it was, one moment of poor communication in 97 minutes cost us three points, nobody thrown under a bus......if excuses and throwing people under buses is anyone's thing I can point them in the direction of someone who in addition to his failing football team never being to blame will be making more excuses in court in a few months time!!

It's ridiculous to "turn against" Pearson.

We know the problems he inherited when he took over and we know that at Leicester it took him time to establish a consistent, winning formula. He isn't a walk into a club and perform miracles type of guy.

That said, my natural pessimism does wonder whether NP has lost his mojo

He had that horrendous bout of viral arthritis that incapacitated him for months in 2019 and he's ageing - is he the same manager he was a decade ago?

I didn't post yesterday because I knew everyone would be making the same points about the caution and subs selection and other errors that led to us dropping what should've been one of the easiest 3 points we'll see this season.

Don't get me wrong, I thought we looked much more of a team then we were at the end of last season. But that wouldn't be hard.

And if you can't put to bed matches like that and beat Blackpool at home, then how competitive are we going to be this season?

Since his arrived I've wondered about some of his judgement calls and I wonder about his man-management skills.

I'm still wondering about that.

It's far too early to say he'll fail, wait until October for that (JOKE!)  But no one can live exclusively on their past reputation and let's say, like a man having a panic attack in a lift, I am concerned on a number of levels. 

Quit moaning and get a grip. Blackpool could be a top six side this season for all we know? I bet if they finished in the play offs nobody would moan about drawing 1-1 with them!

it’s too early to tell, as somebody previously mentioned. Judge the team after the first 10 games and not the first. We played well yesterday and saw glimpses of hunger in front of goal, just we weren’t clinical. Next game, add in clinical finishing and we will be flying. Now let Big Nige get to work….

I'm willing to give him time, I think he made a couple of poor decisions yesterday but I also feel that he's been hamstringed by FFP and I'm not sure who else we'd get in who could stay the ship on a next to nothing budget and after losing 12 players. 

If we're sat in a relegation battle half way through the season then I could see reason to let him go but at the same time it all depends on performances and who he may be able to bring in mid season. 

Pearson is the first really experienced manager we've had in a long time so I'm willing to give him more time as his history shows he can turn a turd into a diamond with the right backing, I just hope we can provide that. 

Just now, BCFCadam said:

Don’t know if it’s just me but did Pearson clap the fans today? I didn’t see anything. Johnson always made a point of coming over to S82 at FT.

He watched the game in the Lansdown so wouldn't have got down to the pitch to clap anyone. If you judge a Manager on his willingness to clap the fans give me the job for £150K per year. For that dosh I'll even do clapping laps for 97 minutes solid. You'll be happy and Lansdown will save a fortune.

18 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Clearly we all want him to do well, but there will come a time when the fans will start to turn on him if things go wrong.

OK he had a dreadful squad last season but I thought some of his tactics and team selections were a bit off the mark and it could have been better I feel.

Today was an improvement but then the old problems came back and just from a few reactions on here, it is clear that some fans are getting a bit frustrated.

I recon that around 5 games should give an idea what he is capable of doing with a team mainly created by himself.

You obviously know better than a experienced manager then if you’re questioning players & tactics . Please stop posts like this . ******* ridiculous 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You obviously know better than a experienced manager then if you’re questioning players & tactics . Please stop posts like this . ******* ridiculous 

I am a supporter and paying customer of Bristol City and have every right to question the managers choices of players and tactics - especially when that manager has a record of 2 wins in 15 games.

And no, I (and others hopefully) will continue to post similar until Pearson had earned the right for us not to.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Absolutely, you are seeing from too many posters an inability to deal with disappointment bordering on childish rather than an objective opinion on the game. We should have seen the game out and that is disappointing but it doesn't define the season. What amazes me is that so many people are quite frankly INCAPABLE of looking beyond the 90 minutes they have just seen. These are the same people who said Semenyo was a League 2 player and are now saying we need him in the side when he's fit.

These people make no allowance whatsoever that weeks and months of training will make a difference to our performance. We can all see an improvement already since the end of last season (except those who clearly have an agenda and don't want to or, as you say, are so stupid they can only see results and that's it) but that's not it, all done, nowhere else to go!! We will continue to get better and our team selection will obviously evolve over the season.

I suppose it's just that much easier to moan and offer reactionary opinions on what you saw on that particular day because it doesn't involve the ability and effort to have to think beyond that. Typical internet age, journalistic style sensationalism over something pretty trivial (football team loses concentration and throws away two points in game they should have closed out shocker).

Yep….football is a low scoring / outcome game, hence the end result doesn’t always reflect the balance of the game.  If it were boxing, we win unanimously on points.  But it’s football, there’s a draw option that accounts for probably 30% of results too.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Come on!! Tuchel has a complete different quality of player to work with than Pearson. Have a read of @Mr Popodopolous summation of the injury situation last season (it's even worse than you remember it tbh) then add in the contract situation of many players that was needlessly inflamed mid-season by our incompetent CEO and tell me that wasn't a huge mitigating factor in our results. We were putting out teams with 3-4 "kids" in last season against men at Championship level, we had players like Marley Watkins apparently "hiding" in the HPC building in order to AVOID training, and we got pumped most weeks.....well blow me sideways!!

There is a small minority, that's what it is whether those on that side of the fence accept it or not, of posters on here who want Pearson out of the door and have done literally since the day Danny Simpson walked into Ashton Gate (that's an opinion people are of course entitled to but it does provide a backdrop to the dissatisfaction of some). The issue being the "Pearson Outers" have the loudest voices and post the same thing multiple times in multiple threads and use sensationalist language when doing so presumably in order to get people "onside" with their opinion. It really doesn't make their opinion any more valid or correct than the majority of posters who are supporting NP using less vitriolic language.

Where I disagree with you is that the reaction to yesterday was kneejerk. I base that opinion on the performance I saw yesterday which I value a lot more than statistics garnered with the above circumstances in mind (that's not a dig at you personally who was working and couldn't make it). In addition I don't recall Nigel making any excuses yesterday, I thought he pretty much told it as it was, one moment of poor communication in 97 minutes cost us three points, nobody thrown under a bus......if excuses and throwing people under buses is anyone's thing I can point them in the direction of someone who in addition to his failing football team never being to blame will be making more excuses in court in a few months time!!

Unfortunately, imho, RMLF cannot wait for Nige to fail / be sacked, even though she wants City to do well.  Her posts reflect that, even though she generally tags a “but I want City to do well” type sentence in her posts. She fails to take any mitigating circumstances of last season into the argument.  What a dichotomy?

Ultimately he might fail, but he’s at least taken several steps to address / improve the football side of the club….including it’s high wage bill, it’s high amortisation, it’s poor medical side, it’s playing side where there were some bad apples who put little effort in.  He had no transfer window to change things last season, he’s been financially constrained this summer too.

But hey-ho, it’s about opinions….but frustrating that agendas / pre-conceived bias are too often in play.

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I am a supporter and paying customer of Bristol City and have every right to question the managers choices of players and tactics - especially when that manager has a record of 2 wins in 15 games.

And no, I (and others hopefully) will continue to post similar until Pearson had earned the right for us not to.

Do you think he deserves a bit of slack in terms of when he took over and what he’s been left with?

Think what people need to realise is that there were elements of this going tits up years ago - myself and others pointed at rising wages, lack of identity, and bizarre recruitment over the last three years since the season after the cup run - xG over the last three years (other posted on this forum mentioned it 'means nothing', etc).

Fact of the matter is, NP (and Gould) will need to reverse three years of mistakes and what appears to be a toxic culture. It may be he can't - he's not a miracle worker, same as with S'OD - however, as long as he at least gets the infrastructure and ethos in place for himself, or a successor, and keeps us up this season, that'll do me. Its a huge ask to cut wages and still improve the team; we still have players on the books that are basically deadwood on huge wages. We don't have the funds to replace large swathes of a squad.

If he cant turn things around, however, I don't blame him. He has no room to maneuver in the market until we sell players - and nobody is paying large fees outside the PL at the moment. The state of the playing staff in terms of cliques, personalities, divisions - doesn't vanish over one window and pre-season.

We need to pull together and back them - otherwise we may as well wave goodbye to this division now. Outside of the last minute goal yesterday that was way more organised than any performance in terms of press and positioning than near all games I've seen the last 24 months. So there is cause for optimism - and remember - the window still has three more weeks, there could yet be more movement.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Do you think he deserves a bit of slack in terms of when he took over and what he’s been left with?

Yes, I did say in a previous post that we would get an idea of the way things are going in around 5 games. 

Just a slight improvement from  yesterday slight improvement would suffice.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep….football is a low scoring / outcome game, hence the end result doesn’t always reflect the balance of the game.  If it were boxing, we win unanimously on points.  But it’s football, there’s a draw option that accounts for probably 30% of results too.

Unfortunately, imho, RMLF cannot wait for Nige to fail / be sacked, even though she wants City to do well.  Her posts reflect that, even though she generally tags a “but I want City to do well” type sentence in her posts. She fails to take any mitigating circumstances of last season into the argument.  What a dichotomy?

Ultimately he might fail, but he’s at least taken several steps to address / improve the football side of the club….including it’s high wage bill, it’s high amortisation, it’s poor medical side, it’s playing side where there were some bad apples who put little effort in.  He had no transfer window to change things last season, he’s been financially constrained this summer too.

But hey-ho, it’s about opinions….but frustrating that agendas / pre-conceived bias are too often in play.

He's literally stripping out the entire mess created by Steve's former best mate "Super Marky Ashton" and building the football club back up from the inside, literally from scratch. Nigel is carrying out a football club refurbishment basically. As with the refurbishment of any "out of condition" building (I think it's fair to say for comparison purposes that the club was in very poor condition when Nige walked through the sliding entrance door) you come across obstacles you didn't even realise were there and the whole process takes time to get right.

It's going to upset a small number but I seriously think that Steve is going to give Nige the time required to sort this mess out and deliver his new "building". It would take a catastrophic run of results to change his mind on that imo.

15 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about though does it 

7 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Yes, I did say in a previous post that we would get an idea of the way things are going in around 5 games. 

Just a slight improvement from  yesterday slight improvement would suffice.

So he’s stated it’ll take 3 years to get us where he wants us. Anyone who understands football even a little bit knows he’s had a massive turnaround on his hands. You only have to read his recent interview on the mail website to realise we had big problems in the dressing room. It was fractured.that doesn’t get turned around overnight . However, you , obviously the fountain of all football knowledge judge him on one game , oh sorry , you’ll give him the good grace 5 games. Very big of you. Absolute ?

39 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I'm sure Nigel is very aware that he has to "earn" your acceptance before he can consider himself to be achieving anything. In the old days it used to be the footballers who were absolute bellends with big ego's, nowadays it's the forum posters!!

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Basically @numerouno just saved me a lot of bother.

Last year the club became toxic.

anybody who has worked with toxic people and a toxic culture at work will tell you it takes years to sort it out - properly.

We STILL have mostly the same squad. You can’t just “get rid of the toxic element” in football. Until as player is sold or released. Footballers don’t get sacked.

I think we’re probably 4-5 players short of being competitive (top 6).

but we literally can’t get them this year because of FFP.

people don’t seem to understand any of this ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ 

9 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Oh @Davefevs@Davefevs That is such a shame (no idea why tagged twice, am assuming forum glitch.) 

Alas your post much a few others on this thread have fallen in to the personal and also the presumptive as to how your post thinks I think. 

That's a shame. 

Unlike many fans, I'm not blinkered by past glories elsewhere, nor am I doing anything other than seeing things right before my eyes. 

Your post and others, relate to a myriad of others failings to try and justify something that, right at this moment, is not working for some and others are starting to voice their concerns, more openly and certainly these comments are coming through as being more than 'Pearson Out'. 

They're on here, long, reflective and trying to take into account many things including some of the aspects that your post seems to want to be the sole focus. 

I'm judging on what I've seen and again make no comment on NPs fitness to remain in post

The Awesome 

Youth Progression, seriously warms my heart, love it been crying out for it for years. 

The Good 

Sorting out hopefully the physical care of players, which has been disastrous since the days of Brooker and Matthews when they sued for negligence which cost their careers iirc. 

We appear fitter. 

The Meh

We're becoming Leicester old boy's 

The Bad

Tactically we're still naive and many problems that have plagued is since we came up with Cotterill haven't been addressed and still persist, set pieces, defending errors, silly mistakes and panic (I'm assuming we dont have a sport's psychologist, Not certain) 

Tactically NP has been caught with his pants down many times so far, with little in the way of redress 

For the umpteenth manager in a row we're round holes, square pegs and not playing to our strengths. 

We're still more worried what the opposition will do than play our game. 

The Piss Poor

League form is abysmal and doesnt show signs of improvement as yet. 

Players already here since he started do not seem to have progressed tactically or skills wise, they're fitter, but at what cost? (excluding youth debuting as they're still learning) Not seen a NP has improved a player post for ages and Massengo seems to be the only standout from last season. 

Danny Simpson is verging on Ricky Foster levels of being rubbish for us. 

That's fair criticism, it's not saying he should be sacked as others are, nor is it judging the reign thus far by any other metric than what he's done for us. 

As mentioned a load of times now, nowhere have I asked for NP to be sacked. Indeed he needs to do better or his job is going to get more difficult very quickly now fans are back. 

You and others are quite welcome to argue against points, where you feel there's discussion, but trying to tell my own views has got to really stop. 

One comment you made about square pegs and round holes. I would say, with the possible exception of Vyner, we were anything but that.

50 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So he’s stated it’ll take 3 years to get us where he wants us. Anyone who understands football even a little bit knows he’s had a massive turnaround on his hands. You only have to read his recent interview on the mail website to realise we had big problems in the dressing room. It was fractured.that doesn’t get turned around overnight . However, you , obviously the fountain of all football knowledge judge him on one game , oh sorry , you’ll give him the good grace 5 games. Very big of you. Absolute ?

I think you may have misunderstood my previous post.....I just said we would get an idea of how things are going in 5 games not that I would give him 5 games.

35 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm sure Nigel is very aware that he has to "earn" your acceptance before he can consider himself to be achieving anything. In the old days it used to be the footballers who were absolute bellends with big ego's, nowadays it's the forum posters!

Can't believe I can't even question things on here or express an opinion... unbelievable! 

Worth reading SL’s post re financial constraints and what Nige has done so far.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Oh @Davefevs@Davefevs That is such a shame (no idea why tagged twice, am assuming forum glitch.) 

Alas your post much a few others on this thread have fallen in to the personal and also the presumptive as to how your post thinks I think.

no, it is my opinion of what you post

That's a shame.

Unlike many fans, I'm not blinkered by past glories elsewhere, nor am I doing anything other than seeing things right before my eyes.

here we go, the passive aggressive from you again….little digs, only your view is unblinkered….not open to debate….just go down the “personal” route as your way to attack others posts.  It’s crap.  

Your post and others, relate to a myriad of others failings to try and justify something that, right at this moment, is not working for some and others are starting to voice their concerns, more openly and certainly these comments are coming through as being more than 'Pearson Out'.

They're on here, long, reflective and trying to take into account many things including some of the aspects that your post seems to want to be the sole focus. 

I'm judging on what I've seen and again make no comment on NPs fitness to remain in post

you don’t have to, it’s clear.

The Awesome 

Youth Progression, seriously warms my heart, love it been crying out for it for years. 

The Good 

Sorting out hopefully the physical care of players, which has been disastrous since the days of Brooker and Matthews when they sued for negligence which cost their careers iirc. 

We appear fitter. 

The Meh

We're becoming Leicester old boy's 

The Bad

Tactically we're still naive and many problems that have plagued is since we came up with Cotterill haven't been addressed and still persist, set pieces, defending errors, silly mistakes and panic (I'm assuming we dont have a sport's psychologist, Not certain)

please explain why we are tactically naive so it can be discussed?

Tactically NP has been caught with his pants down many times so far, with little in the way of redress

see above

For the umpteenth manager in a row we're round holes, square pegs and not playing to our strengths.

which ones in particular?  In another thread you want Nagy to play in a more forward three?  How does that not contradict?

We're still more worried what the opposition will do than play our game. 

The Piss Poor

League form is abysmal and doesnt show signs of improvement as yet. 

Players already here since he started do not seem to have progressed tactically or skills wise, they're fitter, but at what cost? (excluding youth debuting as they're still learning) Not seen a NP has improved a player post for ages and Massengo seems to be the only standout from last season. 

Danny Simpson is verging on Ricky Foster levels of being rubbish for us.

How many times has he played for us this season?  Or are you judging him last season w/o a pre-season?  Fine if so.  I prefer to view over a longer period of time, especially one not thrown in during a shit-storm period.

That's fair criticism, it's not saying he should be sacked as others are, nor is it judging the reign thus far by any other metric than what he's done for us.

But you never mention mitigating circumstances, at least he doesn’t hide how bad it was.

As mentioned a load of times now, nowhere have I asked for NP to be sacked. Indeed he needs to do better or his job is going to get more difficult very quickly now fans are back.

You and others are quite welcome to argue against points, where you feel there's discussion, but trying to tell my own views has got to really stop.

debate the points then rather than fall back on the “they’re attacking me” when we aren’t.

Archived