IGNORED

Zak Vyner

Lew-T

Just now, Lew-T said:

I don’t like to pick on individuals but I thought he looked massively off the pace today. 

Totally disagree.  Their no. 10 appeared to be the only player with any intent for the first 75 minutes and I thought Zak handled him excellently.  Plus he set up King to provide the pass for the goal. I though he had a very decent game all round.

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Fair enough. Football is funny eh?

I thought he was pretty slow, didn’t react quickly enough to situations.

Is funny because through 75 min I thought he was within a shout for MoM for me. 

Their sub changed the game but he wasn’t getting behind Baker for me. Thought Baker looked a bit uncomfortable defending the ball in behind as the RCB. 

Back to Vyner thought he dealt with every challenge he came across. Got forward better than I thought too. Even if you think he had a poor game the lad needs time. He has been used all across the pitch and can’t call one his own. Always thought he settles into roles the more he plays. I’d expect him to look even better by matchday 6-7

Personally, I thought Zak defended well broadly but was too slow in possession a few times. He got closed down a lot, particularly first half, and more than once Weimann told him to move the ball quicker. It was noticeable that Blackpool pressed on him so that may have been deliberate targeting.

Couple of good tackles second half.

Overall nowhere near MoM. Decent defensively but looked targeted and lost possession a few times as a result.

Fwiw I thought he had a decent game, my only criticism would be he seemed to take a split second too long releasing the ball which meant that passing angles were tighter or already closed down. Would give him the benefit of any doubt though as he is still getting used to playing at RB. Best to judge him after a dozen games or so.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Think he was struggling at the end. I think he still needs to learn that position a bit having been moved around. Thought he was fine for most of the game but early days.

I can't quite make my find up, if his positioning on their goal was at fault or not.

I think he should have been tighter to Baker. Stopping the channel between the two of them. But he was out wide covering his man as well. 

Ultimately none of the 3 holding midfielders (Williams, James, or King) went with the midfield runner anyhow. So from a whole team perspective, it was a poor goal to concede.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Personally, I thought Zak defended well broadly but was too slow in possession a few times. He got closed down a lot, particularly first half, and more than once Weimann told him to move the ball quicker. It was noticeable that Blackpool pressed on him so that may have been deliberate targeting.

Overall nowhere near MoM. Decent defensively but looked targeted and lost possession a few times as a result.

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Fwiw I thought he had a decent game, my only criticism would be he seemed to take a split second too long releasing the ball which meant that passing angles were tighter or already closed down. Would give him the benefit of any doubt though as he is still getting used to playing at RB. Best to judge him after a dozen games or so.

Both pretty much sum up my thoughts on today. 

Thought Vyner looked ok at right back today but like all of the defenders struggled against the pacy subs that they brought on later in the second half, particularly Lavery, who looks like he could be a right handful at this level.

Given the only other right back is Simpson, then Zak can make that position his own. (Plus he has a decent long throw in).

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Totally disagree.  Their no. 10 appeared to be the only player with any intent for the first 75 minutes and I thought Zak handled him excellently.  Plus he set up King to provide the pass for the goal. I though he had a very decent game all round.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Somewhere between all of these was my evaluation.

I think a couple of of his passes getting blocked is that he’s trying to get his head up and be more deliberate.  Been guilty of pinging a diag too hastily in the past.

Overall he was absolutely fine.

Day one and this season's number one "most useless player" has already been chosen. Move over Taylor Moore you have lost out to Zak Vyner.

I did not see the game, just listened to Radio Bristol. Co commentator, Gary Owners thought Zak did OK so I'll accept his opinion over the critics who haven't played at Championship level.

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Day one and this season's number one "most useless player" has already been chosen. Move over Taylor Moore you have lost out to Zak Vyner.

I did not see the game, just listened to Radio Bristol. Co commentator, Gary Owners thought Zak did OK so I'll accept his opinion over the critics who haven't played at Championship level.

Who said he was useless?

As for the second paragraph, who’s Gary Owners?

On 07/08/2021 at 21:06, JonDolman said:

He was injured last 10 or so mins. Really struggling to move. He was in a good central position before that goal. Weimann then pointed to him to go wide which he then did. Weimann was quite poor in the goal imo. A few could have done better. Before that injury I thought Vyner looked fine. Early days though. I am certainly not yet confident in him in that position but he is impressing me the more I have seen him in preseason and today. 

King was playing up there with Martin at the end which I think was a big mistake by Nige. Two older, slower players who have just played 90 trying to press from the front.

Nige was positive in many ways today but I really thought not bringing on Wells was a negative decision. We needed pace up top imo. 

Yes, he did look injured for the last 10 even to me. Strange that NP could have brought on Simpson to replace, but settled on Bell for Palmer instead on 88 minutes. Maybe Zak wasn't injured. 

Archived