IGNORED

Adam Nagy

petehinton

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It wasn't a surprise that Kalas, Wells and Naggy didn't start - they didn't get back to training until after the squad went to Loughborough. All of them are trying to catch up with the pre season and I don't think they will be properly really ready for a few weeks yet. 

Naggy has had a long standing issue settling in the UK, it's just simply not for him and the championship doesn't really suit him either. 

He could keep trying to settle but after 2 years and less time on his contract than has already passed he must be thinking that he isn't ever going to settle so for his own mental state and the best for Bristol City I think he has called it correctly (if not a little late). 

I’ve looked at other squads today and other players involved in Euros are all starting for their teams. That’s the easy answer to say they are not playing because they’ve come back late. They’ve all had enough training and opportunities in friendlies. Don’t forget NP left Kalas on the bench v Villa! 

5 minutes ago, redpole said:

I’ve said in other thread, I can see Nagy, Kalas and Wells going, three of the bigger earners and valuable assets at the club. NP doesn’t rate them. 

Good luck getting rid of Wells as you would need a club willing to pay his current level of salary.

Diabolical signing taking into account his age and I said so at the time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

He is and imo should be playing. On what 20k a week here and 30 years old? Who would touch him in current climate.

Someone who wants goals! He won’t be happy sitting on the bench at city, if he’s offered a chance of lower money but with game time, surely that would be attractive at his age. 

Just now, redpole said:

I’ve looked at other squads today and other players involved in Euros are all starting for their teams. That’s the easy answer to say they are not playing because they’ve come back late. They’ve all had enough training and opportunities in friendlies. Don’t forget NP left Kalas on the bench v Villa! 

Yes but we don't know what's happened to those other players last season whereas we know our previous pre season was awful. The other players conditioning was likely better going into the euros.

I'm not sure everyone understands the impact of the situation Ashton and his cronies left us in - it's going to take a perfect pre season to get most of our players back to a championship level of conditioning and Kalas, Wells and Naggy aren't going to get that this season or next if we want them to play 90 mins right now. We're better off focusing on getting them right so they can make the difference in a few games time and for the rest of the season rather than them limping through the whole season. 

Kalas didn't play against villa because NP wanted the players that were going to be ready to play against Villa. 

Nagy is not suited for the Championship I’ve always thought that to be the case. 

Nagy, Kalas and Wells all came here in the hope we would have enough for promotion or be close. However LJ and Holden proved that we don’t. 

Pearson has been tasked with a rebuild and that’s not what they signed on for

Nagy looks neat but not the sort you need for a 46 game battle, easily brushed aside and really does not make any difference where ever he plays. 

Kalas I’m convinced is pretty much yesterday’s man here. Three weeks for an offer to come in and I fully expect it!! 

Wells I like but I’ve always thought he regretted coming here from the moment LJ wanted to play him out of position. 

Semenyo. Will help when fit. But along with Bentley could still be subject to interest. 

I will reserve judgement on any level until EO October as we are very much work in progress and I’m still hopeful we will get stronger than many think we will, however much we feel that today was same old City snatching a draw from the jaws of victory!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Feel sorry for the guy, joins under Johnson, covid hits, can't really get the chance to settle or do anything in his new home due to lockdown, has a child here, again no travel to see family with new child, Johnson goes Holden in, Holden out Pearson in. And a few injuries to boot. What a shit life  experience for the guy.

He will go with my best wishes, it looks like fate transpired against the poor bugger. I really liked him as a player. All the best Adam.

There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes that us fans don't see and it may well be the case that Nagy found it hard to settle and we never saw the best of him.

However, i still fail to see what his main strengths are as a central midfielder? He hasn't got the passing range to dominate a game, he doesn't score (many) goals and he struggles physically. He runs around alot but give me £15k a week and i would run around alot!

I hope we can move him on and use the money for an attacking player which is desperately needed

Just now, Marco the red said:

He is a deep lying playmaker, build from the back neat and tidy. Not the kind of player you see in the Championship but very common in Europe.

He was basically signed as a more mobile Marlon Pack.

I just dont see it Marco... Marlon had a much better passing range and can handle himself physically. Maybe, as you say, he's more suited to other leagues in Europe but i just don't see what his main strengths are?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Nagy can dictate a game which Pack wasn't able to do. Where everything starts and goes through him, unfortunately he wasn't able to cope With the physicality of the league and played out of his position as a cm or cam. He is a sitting midfield in a 3 and nothing else.

I've got nothing against Nagy and i feel he always gave his best but i dont feel he has the quality to dictate a game in The Champ. Players like Barry Bannan, Ryan Woods and Alex Mowatt can do it but Nagy doesnt have that in his game.

We have had many worse players than him over the years but if we receive a reasonable offer then its an easy decision for me.

1 hour ago, redpole said:

I’ve said in other thread, I can see Nagy, Kalas and Wells going, three of the bigger earners and valuable assets at the club. NP doesn’t rate them. 

Don't think it is that he doesn't rate them, NP has said that he doesn't like big differences in wages between the players. Like you said 3 of the bigger earners.

Shame as he is a very talented player, think he's going to end up being a casualty of the car crash the clubs been over the last 12 months or so.

He was probably sold the dream when he signed of an imminent promotion to the Prem and instead he's ended up seeing a revolving door in the managers office, a sub-standard medical department and the most unsettled team you could imagine. On the back of the Euros he had he could probably get a move to the Bundesliga, Serie A etc albeit not at any of the bigger clubs and if he hasn't settled here then fair enough.

Hopefully we can get around 1 - 1.5m for him and reinvest it back into the squad, same goes for Kalas unfortunately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Gutted, another in the long list of not utilised here Really don't get what the poor sod has to do to get anywhere with us.

quite simply, play better overall than he did for us over 2 seasons here.  Some glimpses of the firm he shows for Hungary.  Too many limp performances for me.

Massively proven international

undoubtedly, but it’s what he does for us isn’t it?

who has done everything asked and more, pissed about amd understandably wants a move.

On what basis has he been pissed around.  Re international stuff you might well argue we have bent over backwards to help him continue his international career, in his early, injured days….and even pre-Euros, letting him off the Brentford game to save him an injury so close to the tournament.  Selective memory, or do you know more?

Frustrating

yes, as it is when any signing doesn’t work out.  £2.25m and £16-18k p.w (allegedly).  I’m very interested to know what we might recoup on this one.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

No great loss. 

He has had opportunities to cement his place in the starting line-up, and has failed to make the most of them. James, King, Williams, Bakinson, Massengo all now seem ahead of him in the queue. 

Money is required, and Nagy is considered a saleable asset. 

I hope we take the money and re-invest it appropriately. A striker is a must before the end of the window. 

It does seem that Nagy has struggled to adapt to England (both on and off the pitch). A few good performance for us, but the majority of his appearances have been very "meh". I'm not too worried about losing his contributions. He's not a bad player, and I don't think it's due to lack of effort or commitment - it just hasn't worked out.

Central midfield probably is the one position in which we can sell without needing to buy a replacement. Hence, any money from a Nagy sale may be redirected elsewhere (to a striker or winger?). Not sure what kind of fee that might be - his price will likely have risen following the euros, and may now fall again if it's publicly known that he's asked to leave ?

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Current climate means his price has fallen in my opinion. We paid 2 mil? Can't see us getting that back.

Difficult fee to judge because of wages too.  He might need to take a drop in wages too.  European football isn’t awash with money, well, not at the clubs likely to be after Adam.

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes that us fans don't see and it may well be the case that Nagy found it hard to settle and we never saw the best of him.

However, i still fail to see what his main strengths are as a central midfielder? He hasn't got the passing range to dominate a game, he doesn't score (many) goals and he struggles physically. He runs around alot but give me £15k a week and i would run around alot!

I hope we can move him on and use the money for an attacking player which is desperately needed

For me his assetts are 1. A very good engine 2. The ability to position himself himself defensively.. one of those players that didn't need to run about all over the place making tackles he had tbe ability to plug holes and make interceptions through intelligent positional sense and very quick initial burst of pace.

Personally I think he is massively undervalued and brings something to the team many don't see, that said I think his particular talents are better suited to European football.  But if used properly and using his strengths I think he would and should of been a great player for us. Using him on the wing or as an attacking midfielder just seems plain ignorant on part of the managers and coaches.

• Like 5

If we can recoup 3/4 of the fee we paid, then considering the financial climate, it wouldn't be a bad deal. 

The one big thing that will go in our favour, is that he had a decent Euro 2020, so that could help massively - maybe even help break even. 

He has never looked like one of the worse players on the pitch, but he has rarely made people sit up and take notice. Probably more a case of wrong player in the wrong team/squad, bit ultimately if he doesn't want to be here then at least by asking for a move, it means we don't have to pay up a chunk of his current contract. That is providing he gets a move....

Italy or France is my guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marco the red said:

Nagy can dictate a game which Pack wasn't able to do. Where everything starts and goes through him, unfortunately he wasn't able to cope With the physicality of the league and played out of his position as a cm or cam. He is a sitting midfield in a 3 and nothing else.

Completely disagree. Nagy is a runner not a sitter. His biggest attribute is his stamina which gets him around the pitch for 90 minutes.

He hasn't, and would never be able to dictate a game of Championship football, partly for the reason you state - his lack of physicality, and also his limited passing range, lack of vision, and lack of contribution in both boxes. 

Pack, on the other hand, did have those attributes. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying he dictated many games for City  but he is certainly a much more effective Championship operator than Nagy. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Completely disagree. Nagy is a runner not a sitter. His biggest attribute is his stamina which gets him around the pitch for 90 minutes.

He hasn't, and would never be able to dictate a game of Championship football, partly for the reason you state - his lack of physicality, and also his limited passing range, lack of vision, and lack of contribution in both boxes. 

Pack, on the other hand, did have those attributes. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying he dictated many games for City  but he is certainly a much more effective Championship operator than Nagy. 

Dsagree to an extent, he is a sitter  a great reader of the game who plugs holes that creative players try to pass through, what I do agree with is he used his pace and his athletic ability to do it. 

He can pass the ball around effectively to team mates, although does not have that raking ball that people may associate with the position he plays in.

For me he is a deep lying breaker up of play type player who spring the counter attack  very quickly, plugs the hole, feeds the likes of a bakinson, who gets the ball forward quickly.  I think (but I was never 100% sure) this is the game Johnson wanted to play but never really got it working. Unfortunately I don't see this type of player working in a Pearson team, I don't think it's the football he wants to play.

• Like 5

Not sure we saw the best of him, did he settle fully?

Better in a 3 (IMO), wondered if he could have played as a narrow yet wide player as late last season when he got a goal and 2 assists in a few games.

3 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

Decent player but just not physically strong enough to play centre midfield in the championship. 

Physique or technique in CM, the age old debate...Nagy anyway, not the most physical but good positionally at times- perhaps should have been moreso, best suited to a 3, reasonable technically, good at screening but overenergetic at times leaving holes- hard to pin down exactly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous